Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: BMW z4 2.0i roadster 2008
Z4 roof issue

Hi guys

I'm new here so any help would be great.

I have a BMW z4 2008 model and a few months back I put the roof down and it got stuck.

I then had to pull the roof up manually and use the Allen key to tighten the hooks into the windscreen.

I tried to take the roof down yesterday to see if it miraculously worked again and as I held the button down the windows went down 1/4 of the way and it sounded as if the roof was going to come down until it stopped and nothing else happened.

The front corners of the roof moved upwards slightly and as i mentioned the windows came down a tad but nothing else. So I held the other button in and the widows went back up.

Has anyone had this issue before and can anyone offer some advice/suggestion as to what the problem could be?

P.s the space saver twisty knobs in the boot are in the correct position also.

Thanks and hopefully someone can shed some light for me!!

Ryan
Ryankay75@yahoo.co.uk

Last edited by Ryankay75; 02-08-2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Updating
Ads by Google
Old 02-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Meinkugelschmerzen

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4, 2007 X3
There are at least a bazillion threads about this on here already, but you can find out everything you want to know from Shipkiller.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:13 PM

Thanks for the reply mate
Old 02-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
Before you buy any parts, you need to go a little deeper and check something else.

It was a good move to check the knobs on the 'Compartment Floor' (CF), but if the switch that the CF actuates is bad or the arm on the switch is off, then the top will not go down. One way to check this switch is to put the top down and try to raise the top. If the CF switch is bad the top WILL raise, but as I said, not lower. If the top raises, then the switch is bad.

If it is the switch, a new switch is about $35.00 from your dealer and takes about a half hour to install but from your brief description it sounds like your motor is gone.. Troubleshoot first before you make any determinations.

Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 02-08-2013, 04:41 PM

Thanks very much for your help shipkiller much appreciated. I severely hope it's not a motor issue as I'm not the most hands on person and can imagine it costs a fortune to have done at a dealer or private garage.

Do you know a rough cost of having the motor fixed by any chance?

Regards
Old 02-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
Since you are in UK, I would not even try to guess the cost.

Go to Z4-Forum.com. That is a UK based Z4 site and those guys will give you a better idea.
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 02-08-2013, 04:54 PM

Haha I don't blame you. People like to rip us off here as you are probably aware. Iv been told it could be around 1500 which is approx $2370.

Lets hope it's not a motor issue!