Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: '06 E65 730d Sport
Attempted theft of my E65

Ladies and Gents, I've been targeted by thieves using those methods mentioned elsewhere on this forum and in the general media.

Despite the car being locked and alarmed in a residential parking area in a quiet little cul-de-sac, the thieves were able to lower my windows, reach in and connect a device to the OBD port. Fortunately, the damage is minimal, and they were unsuccessful in starting the car. It has a Nov '06 build date.

I thought I'd share some of my thoughts on here as part of a brainstorming session. I'm formulating a plan of security measures to prevent any repetition of this, which encompass a range of security aspects, both mechanical and computerised:

Door handle
I believe the thieves have inserted a screwdriver or similar tool into my driver's door lock and used brute force to turn the lock around and trip the switch inside which activates the Comfort Opening feature, causing all four windows to lower and the doors to unlock. I plan to remove the door lock barrel (which is now destroyed, and was never used anyway) and fit the passenger side door handle from a LHD car to my RHD driver's door (the LHD passenger handle fits the hole in the door, has the correct orientation, and has no hole for the lock barrel thereby presenting no opportunity for any to force the lock again). I'd also like to code out the Comfort Opening feature from the door lock. I think this maybe possible with the KOMFORTOEFFNUNG line.

OBD port
Having lowered the windows without triggering the alarm, the thieves were able to reach in, pop off the cover from my OBD port and, I have to assume, have then connected a device to read the CAS key data. I plan to remove the OBD port and reposition it deeper within the recesses behind the kick panel. I'll also fit some kind of metal shield to cover the aperture... and if I'm in the mood, I might just try and weld some razor blades to this so that any future prying fingers recieve a nasty shock and I get some valuable DNA evidence!

CAS
I've posted on www.BMWCoding.com forum about this, but I'd like to erase any key data currently held within the CAS, rendering my two keys, and the one which the theives may be in the process of creating, useless. Would this mean I have to buy new keys from the dealership or can I somehow reinitialise or reprogram my current keys with new data from the CAS?

Hope you guys can offer some input seeing as we're all in this together! It could just take a few small, inexpensive changes to make our cars much more difficult to steal.

Cheers!

Last edited by Dan_E65; 02-08-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 745i
Good thing it was an unsuccessful attempt. Hope you get everything squared away brother.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:13 PM
BMW7_CEO

Mein Auto: 05 745LI 06 650i 06 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_E65 View Post
Ladies and Gents, I've been targeted by thieves using those methods mentioned elsewhere on this forum and in the general media.

Despite the car being locked and alarmed in a residential parking area in a quiet little cul-de-sac, the thieves were able to lower my windows, reach in and connect a device to the OBD port. Fortunately, the damage is minimal, and they were unsuccessful in starting the car. It has a Nov '06 build date.

I thought I'd share some of my thoughts on here as part of a brainstorming session. I'm formulating a plan of security measures to prevent any repetition of this, which encompass a range of security aspects, both mechanical and computerised:

Door handle
I believe the thieves have inserted a screwdriver or similar tool into my driver's door lock and used brute force to turn the lock around and trip the switch inside which activates the Comfort Opening feature, causing all four windows to lower and the doors to unlock. I plan to remove the door lock barrel (which is now destroyed, and was never used anyway) and fit the passenger side door handle from a LHD car to my RHD driver's door (the LHD passenger handle fits the hole in the door, has the correct orientation, and has no hole for the lock barrel thereby presenting no opportunity for any to force the lock again). I'd also like to code out the Comfort Opening feature from the door lock. I think this maybe possible with the KOMFORTOEFFNUNG line.

OBD port
Having lowered the windows without triggering the alarm, the thieves were able to reach in, pop off the cover from my OBD port and, I have to assume, have then connected a device to read the CAS key data. I plan to remove the OBD port and reposition it deeper within the recesses behind the kick panel. I'll also fit some kind of metal shield to cover the aperture... and if I'm in the mood, I might just try and weld some razor blades to this so that any future prying fingers recieve a nasty shock and I get some valuable DNA evidence!

CAS
I've posted on www.BMWCoding.com forum about this, but I'd like to erase any key data currently held within the CAS, rendering my two keys, and the one which the theives may be in the process of creating, useless. Would this mean I have to buy new keys from the dealership or can I somehow reinitialise or reprogram my current keys with new data from the CAS?

Hope you guys can offer some input seeing as we're all in this together! It could just take a few small, inexpensive changes to make our cars much more difficult to steal.

Cheers!
That's great what your doing man but what's that going to do if they can get a tow truck with the cross and lift it from the back then tow it away to a crop shop because there has been a couple of people who had this done before its sad but I know these cars have tilt sensors but its crazy how fast they can hook it up and take it
Old 02-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Ultimate745i

Mein Auto: 2004 745i
Hell..I have Full Coverage...PLEASE sumbody come take mine!
Old 02-08-2013, 03:51 PM
what amg?

Mein Auto: 07 B7,91 735i , 91e30sold
lowlifes man
Old 02-08-2013, 03:54 PM
BMW7_CEO

Mein Auto: 05 745LI 06 650i 06 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate745i View Post
Hell..I have Full Coverage...PLEASE sumbody come take mine!
Lmao oh man
Old 02-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760Li
Don't remove the barrel! If the car's battery ever runs out of power you won't be able to get into it until you charge up the battery! My suggestion is to simply code out the the windows rolling down feature if it really bothers you that much.

As far as moving the OBD port, that's not going to be easy. If anything I'd plug something into it and get some security torx screws to hold it on there!

But at the end of the day, if they want the car they will tow it and take it back to a place where they can pull it apart. Keep full insurance on it and you'll be fine.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:33 PM

Yeah I agree, there'll never be a theft proof car - I just need to put them to enough trouble to make them go elsewhere.

I did consider your point about the lock barrel. The trunk has its own lock barrel under the trunk lid anyway, so as far as I know if the battery goes flat I can open the trunk and charge it if necessary.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: X3 xDrive35i & 350Z TT
Sorry to hear. I'd hide my obd port...that seems like the simplist solution to the key coding issue.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 750i
Business opportunity???? Someone go to market with a lock for the OBD port.

You can have my idea for just 5% of the royalties!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:36 AM

There's already a locking OBD cover - albeit for the E92 and costing UKú100!!!