Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 550i ///M-Sport
My 2013 X5 x50i - ///M Sport - link to pics included

I picked it up yesterday from Sterling BMW in Northern VA. I don't typically leave dealer frames/emblems on my cars but they were exceptionally easy to work with so I'm giving them some love (ask for Danny Saboor).

Here are the specs:
  • Alpine White
  • Cinnamon Brown interior
  • Cold Weather package
  • M-Sport package
  • Premium package
  • Premium Sound
  • Technology package
  • 20" double spoke 333 M wheels
  • Multi-Contour seats
  • Active Steering
  • BMW Apps

I spent today detailing it from the ground up. Zaino wash, Zaino clay bar and two coats of Zaino polish. The wheels are actually not that bad to clean...hands get into pretty much every spot. I also hardwired my BEL sTI Magnum radar detector to the sunroof wire below the console. It's much easier to pop off and get to than previous cars so didn't take long to do. I am using double sided tape this time because suction cups......suck.

The best way to sum up this car after owning 3 BMW's (08 535i, 08 M3 and 08 550i) is this one feels and sounds like I am driving a 4WD M3 with 5-series build sounds (shutting doors, etc). Active steering is almost to soft (not a bad thing) at low speeds. It's very fast, very comfortable and an amazingly built automobile. BMW continues to impress me with their build quality. The tires have probably gotten more comments than anything (although the engine/exhaust has turned many heads since yesterday). One of my buddies said that the rear tires look like they are about to touch each other.

Gas mileage appears to be similar to my 550...I got 23mpg on the way home from NoVa yesterday but that dropped quite a bit around town today to around 16...I'll take it.

48 hrs in I am very happy with my X5. My wife isn't convinced I will like an SUV vs. a car based on my history but this car appears to have changed my stance on that....

One last thing - if it weren't my car it would be so fun to take this out into a field and just tear it up. More Zaino, please.

Check out my pics here - BMW X5 - Down by the River

Appreciate everyone's help on bimmerfest.

Last edited by yahtzee; 02-10-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-08-2013, 04:38 PM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Wink

Appreciate everyone's help on bimmerfest....................especially Rob!

congrats! Amazing color combo
Best of luck!
Active steering...?almost to soft? please explain as i do not have this option!does it affect ride comfort? or just in close parking situations.
Cheers Daryl

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 01-08-2013, 04:46 PM

It's just very easy to steer vs....not. I like the option more than I thought I would.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: German
Finally got the car! congrats!

My brother lives very close to you. Been to Sterling many times. Very nice dealer
Old 01-08-2013, 05:27 PM

I'm still trying to get a grasp of the media aspect of the car...I've tried updating the car's software - no luck. I have tried moving music from iPhone to HDD - no luck. RTFM may apply here, huh?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 50i M Performance
Sterling? I thought you went with Passport?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safelder View Post
Sterling? I thought you went with Passport?
I talked to them but Sterling had the car and they weren't letting it go. JC was a sharp dude but ultimately Sterling was a done deal in under 30 mins.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahtzee5 View Post
I'm still trying to get a grasp of the media aspect of the car...I've tried updating the car's software - no luck. I have tried moving music from iPhone to HDD - no luck. RTFM may apply here, huh?
You have to transfer using the USB port in the glovebox, not the one in the center box.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
You have to transfer using the USB port in the glovebox, not the one in the center box.
Yep...that's what I am doing for the music and the update...no dialog, no "transferring music" or anything.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Yep...that's what I am doing for the music and the update...no dialog, no "transferring music" or anything.
Actually, I'm not 100% sure if you can even transfer music FROM an iPhone into the HDD. Try it off a USB flash drive or something.

I just picked up a 16gb USB 3.0 flash drive for like $12.99 last week. Dirt cheap
Old 01-08-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Actually, I'm not 100% sure if you can even transfer music FROM an iPhone into the HDD. Try it off a USB flash drive or something.

I just picked up a 16gb USB 3.0 flash drive for like $12.99 last week. Dirt cheap
I bet the manual will tell me. :-) Thanks.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I talked to them but Sterling had the car and they weren't letting it go. JC was a sharp dude but ultimately Sterling was a done deal in under 30 mins.
It's a good looking car. I test drove at Sterling (it is about 8 miles from my house, vs. like 30 to Passport). I found them to be knowledgeable and professional...and $2k more expensive.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:

You can't transfer music off an iPhone onto anything. Apple has it locked down tight.*

*of course, there are ways around. None in a BMW, though.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
It's a good looking car. I test drove at Sterling (it is about 8 miles from my house, vs. like 30 to Passport). I found them to be knowledgeable and professional...and $2k more expensive.
Thanks...I got the exact deal I wanted and it would have been the same at Passport but with the hassle of the DX. Appreciate you helping out.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks...I got the exact deal I wanted and it would have been the same at Passport but with the hassle of the DX. Appreciate you helping out.
My pleasure.

My wife thought the same thing re me not being happy with an SUV, as I had two S4s back-to-back and wasn't a huge fan of the larger A6 before that. I liked, but didn't love, her Q5, and I despise her GL. So far, though, I'm LOVING the X5. I still haven't found its limits, and, although I'm being "gentle" during the break in period, I'm pushing it pretty hard around curves and up and down hills along the Potomac by my house.

BTW, watch those VA Highway Patrol cops with your radar detector. I got pulled over during a trip to C'ville one time because one of them thought my EZPass toll transponder was either a ladar detector or a radar detector and "don't you know those are illegal in VA, son?" Once (a) I explained what he was looking at and (b) he realized I outranked him (he was a reservist, and I was in uniform that day), he got MUCH more professional...but, still, they're not shy.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:24 PM

safelder:he realized I outranked him (he was a reservist, and I was in uniform that day), he got MUCH more professional...but, still, they're not shy.

i like that story SGT

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 01-08-2013, 06:29 PM

The baffling thing was he really didn't know what it was and made me take it off the license plate (who keeps their radar detector on their license plate?) and show him. I've made the NoVA to C'ville trip to know not to mess around (particularly northbound on a Friday and southbound on a Sunday).
Old 01-08-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
The baffling thing was he really didn't know what it was and made me take it off the license plate (who keeps their radar detector on their license plate?) and show him. I've made the NoVA to C'ville trip to know not to mess around (particularly northbound on a Friday and southbound on a Sunday).
Rookies....we were all once there!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
congrats! truck looks awesome.

Active steering but no adaptive drive? Odd build.

As an ex-Zaino user for more than 8 years, I HIGHLY suggest trying out opticoat. Way better protection than zaino.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:15 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Congrats! 23mpgs now sounds like a distant memory for me.

Did you end up doing the MSDs?

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 01-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Recovering Car Ho

Mein Auto: 2010 535i M-Sport
Great Pics

Yahtzee5,

Love the new ride. We have an Alpine/Cinnamon Diesel on order, so obviously loves the colors.

Your pictures are great, you have a good eye. What were you shooting with, out of curiosity?

Looks like you got down on the ground for a few
Old 01-09-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Congrats! 23mpgs now sounds like a distant memory for me.

Did you end up doing the MSDs?
Thanks! I did not end up using them. It ended being just over 2 MSD's and it just didnt do enough to the payment to justify. Appreciate the education on them, though.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubernator View Post
Yahtzee5,

Love the new ride. We have an Alpine/Cinnamon Diesel on order, so obviously loves the colors.

Your pictures are great, you have a good eye. What were you shooting with, out of curiosity?

Looks like you got down on the ground for a few
Thanks! I use a Nikon D300 + 17-55 2.8 + 50mm 1.8. All in the glass, baby.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Nice color!!! You should also be able to play your music from your iPhone via bluetooth. I learned this a little later
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Thanks! I use a Nikon D300 + 17-55 2.8 + 50mm 1.8. All in the glass, baby.
DSLR makes a huge difference in picture quality
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.