Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-08-2013, 01:11 PM
DIY Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 1999 323i ZSP
Positive Battery Cable Terminal Detonator

I am in the process of rebuilding my SRS system.
I believe the last component I need to be finished with the job is the Positive Battery Cable Terminal Detonator.

I've found a couple on eBay and there are huge differences in price. I found one that says it fits my year of E46 (1999 323i) for $130...

And I also found one that says it came from a 2001 740IL (E38) for $50. The parts and the plugs seem to look exactly the same .

On www.RealOEM.com they do have different part numbers, but what they are selling is a repair splice kit. I don't need that whole thing. I just need the part outlined in GREEN in this picture. Just the post grabber and the SRS wire+plug. I don't need to splice anything. As seen in this video, it does say BMW E46 E39 E38 E53 X5 Z4, I'm assuming that means the procedure is the same, but are the parts exactly the same?

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...=61&fg=10&hl=6

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...=12&fg=29&hl=2

These look exactly the same to me... does anyone know from experience if the parts are interchangeable?

Thanks for taking a look!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	positive cable detonator.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	361364  
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
The actual terminal and the cable should be one piece. They are not meant to be seperated, if you seperate the cable, it will be rendered useless because the SRS light will come on. Get the first 24 inches of the cable, and splice it in. If you want to avoid splicing, buy the whole cable from another e46, and run it all the way to the firewall.

Sold - 2003 325i Sedan Japanrot 5 Speed 8k Xenon Headlamps Build Date 11/02
Old 02-12-2013, 04:29 PM
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmys 530i View Post
The actual terminal and the cable should be one piece. They are not meant to be seperated, if you seperate the cable, it will be rendered useless because the SRS light will come on
Did you watch the video?
It seems like it is designed to be a two way street.
It is detonated and separated on collision.
But it can obviously be put back together with a plug unit that has not been detonated.

Are you saying that the person who made that video (eBay seller/BMW dismantler) is wrong, and the part he is selling is completely useless?

It seems like a feasible procedure to me. As long as there is a good connection (where the battery cable meets the detonator) and a good/non deployed detonator from a vehicle without collision that is.

Edit: I should add that the unit does not deploy when you separate the pieces.

Last edited by stevenj; 02-12-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenj View Post

Edit: I should add that the unit does not deploy when you separate the pieces.
Isn't that the purpose of the cable? If you just want the srs light to go away and do not care about safety, rejoin your current cable and solder in a 2.2 ohm resistor.

The last time I tried to seperate and avoid slicing the cable by using the aforementioned method, I ruined the cable, and the srs light stil stayed on. I used to work in the salvage business, and I have done this dozens of times.

Sold - 2003 325i Sedan Japanrot 5 Speed 8k Xenon Headlamps Build Date 11/02
Old 02-16-2013, 11:57 PM
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmys 530i View Post
Isn't that the purpose of the cable? If you just want the srs light to go away and do not care about safety, rejoin your current cable and solder in a 2.2 ohm resistor.
I do not believe so.

I believe that the SRS part of the cable (yellow plastic part connected to the metal terminal connector) has a very small explosive charge that separates the two pieces. Not the other way around (or in other words, separating the metal pieces does not render the plug ineffective). It is designed to pop the metal connection apart so you cannot start your vehicle, preventing electrical fires after an accident.

I do care about safety.

This is why I purchased the airbags and controversial seat belt tensioners to replace the deployed ones. My goal is to have a safe ride ensuring the airbags will deploy in the event of a collision. And to also get rid of that stupid SRS light both at the same time.

I know my SRS light is on, and I believe it is because of the positive battery terminal detonator.

However I am not sure if my airbags will deploy because of the fact that my detonator is bad.

I just want to make the SRS system right, period. And according to this dismantler, this is a viable and cost effective way to do it.