Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 03-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Judge slams Ohio village's speed cameras

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1...?articlePage=1

Quote:
"When motorists began receiving the $105 speeding tickets in the mail, they exploded in anger. Many have said they now go out of their way to avoid driving here, and many business owners say the cameras and the fallout are hurting business.

Good for him. The judge called the speed cameras "scam" and the court hearing "sham". Read the linked article.

Finally a judge is saying something we all knew.
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto:
NICE!!

I tell you, I'd rather be robbed by gun point rather than a coward "hiding" behind the bush to jump out at you.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:25 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
This was a case not too long ago in central VA for me. When I lived in UVa, I drove between UVA and Spotsylvania on some weekends, which involved driving through Orange County. Everyone knew it was a horrid speed trap county, especially near the town, with it's wide roads but rapid speed reductions to low speeds that were unwarranted in some places. I got fed up receiving citation(s) every year that I started detouring around it, spending an extra 10-15min but not having to fuss about the revenue traps set by county and state police.

Years later, I saw an article that the town was reconsidering its speed limits, because it had gotten a reputation for its unreasonable limits and enforcement. Don't get me wrong, I drive slow through villages and built-up areas for safety, but when a 4 lane highway drops from 55mph to 25mph with no real "safety need" (not a pedestrian, school, or residential zone, only some small, low-traffic businesses) in a matter of roughly 1000 metres, and the circuit court is clogged for traffic cases......the reputation is deserved. Businesses complained that people started to avoid the town and the reputation was hurting drive-by traffic. I don't know what was the end result, but clearly I wasn't the only one who felt the need to just avoid.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:39 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
When I used to live in FL, we knew that Ocala (I think it was Ocala) for infamous for give you a speeding ticket even if you are 1mph over their 25mph limit. You can be sure that most passers by would miss that one sign that said 25, and drove 30 even when they thought they are driving responsibly. It got the reputation. Everybody just hated that town. You'd drive though it, (I'd drive 5-10 below), and it was like a ghost town.

No speeding cameras. Just the police cruiser hiding right behind the sign.

I think the reputation is beyond the "just avoid". A person will start developing resent and hate toward that village and everything associated with it. And that includes the businesses.

Last edited by MatWiz; 03-12-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:54 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
How about small community speed trap cop using Lidar (not radar) who was stationed in his vehicle hidden around a fast turning bend, on a Sunday morning before the church goers are awake? The opposing lanes of this by-pass freeway is separated by a concrete guardrail dividing two lanes each direction. The 4 mile by-pass freeway leads to the interstate had no cars going in either direction. It is about the only time I can open up my car on public roads without endangering other drivers.

Yes, the 3 local communities are know for speed traps, and I know where they are during the day time when more cars are on the roads. But, early Sunday morning at 8:50am ?

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 03-15-2013 at 01:59 PM.