Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Swapping out the lights in our kitchen with LEDs. Love them so far. But unlike most, I like bright, harsh, cold white light. I do not like what are called "warm" lights.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3lissa View Post
For a BR40 bulb?

Here it is
I can't find it now.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:33 PM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Mein Auto: Duh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post

I bought one of the Costco bulbs and I can't stand it. It looks so artificial and the exposed LEDs are quite glaring. Take a look at the 6" ones from Depot. Buy one and bring it home to test out....
I will. Thanks
Old 02-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Raoul Duke

Mein Auto: Great Red Shark
Been looking for some LED bulbs with a candelabra base to replace some globes in the pendant lights we've got in the kitchen. The CFLs we have are equivalent of 60 watt incandescent bulbs. Haven't found much to work with so far.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:28 PM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

I went to Home Depot and bought the ecosmart Cree retrofit kit/ with LED bulb. Looks like I don't have the kind of housing that it slides and screws into so I have to take things apart. For the same price I can just buy the Utilitech bulbs at Lowes that looks and screws in like the incandescent bulb it's replacing. Seems like that's the way to go...
Old 02-10-2013, 04:38 PM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
That's what they have at Costco now, it looked exactly like the one at Lowes so it must be new stock and they also have new versions of Par bulbs that are different from what I got. They don't mention Cree though and it's only single large LED instead of arrangement of five small ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	361733  
Old 02-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Quote:
I went to Home Depot and bought the ecosmart Cree retrofit kit/ with LED bulb. Looks like I don't have the kind of housing that it slides and screws into so I have to take things apart. For the same price I can just buy the Utilitech bulbs at Lowes that looks and screws in like the incandescent bulb it's replacing. Seems like that's the way to go...
The HD bulbs just require you to pop out the L bracket that holds in the bulb socket. You remove the thumbscrew and pull the bracket down and then pop the socket out. You then screw in the bulb and place it in the hole. It takes about 1 min per bulb. Try both side by side and then make your call...

2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Old 02-10-2013, 06:39 PM
trailingthrottleoversteer

Mein Auto: CLK 550
The Feit bulbs at Costco are kinda junks if you ask me. Very poor CRI and I had two fail in a short time.

I hada couple of the CE retrofit kits lying around, but you bought the better (ecosmart) ones. It's worth doing what E sez and try to pop out the socket to get them to work because they are much better (IMHO) than screw in bulbs. They look better, better color rendering, and dim smoother.

Most screw in bulbs (except the Phillips with the yellow lens) result in "what happened to you lights" reaction. The phillips BR30 and R20 are on the clearance rack at my local HD this week if that is any indication...

If we all threw our problems into a pile and saw everyone else's - we'd grab ours back.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:42 PM
trailingthrottleoversteer

Mein Auto: CLK 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssamols View Post
Just curious as to why you like CREE. I have been following the stock and it jumped $12.00 in the past 45 gays.
You callin' me GAY? Talk to Bruce

Cree is the benchmark. they have the CRI and power consumption as good as it gets right now.

thanx for the tip!

If we all threw our problems into a pile and saw everyone else's - we'd grab ours back.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Psychology Reversalist

1065 lumens is hardly a 75W replacement, not 100W... Which is around 1600.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:57 AM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Quote:
The HD bulbs just require you to pop out the L bracket that holds in the bulb socket. You remove the thumbscrew and pull the bracket down and then pop the socket out. You then screw in the bulb and place it in the hole. It takes about 1 min per bulb. Try both side by side and then make your call...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
The Feit bulbs at Costco are kinda junks if you ask me. Very poor CRI and I had two fail in a short time.

I hada couple of the CE retrofit kits lying around, but you bought the better (ecosmart) ones. It's worth doing what E sez and try to pop out the socket to get them to work because they are much better (IMHO) than screw in bulbs. They look better, better color rendering, and dim smoother.

Most screw in bulbs (except the Phillips with the yellow lens) result in "what happened to you lights" reaction. The phillips BR30 and R20 are on the clearance rack at my local HD this week if that is any indication...
Thank you both. I'll give it another try. The housing my recessed lights are in looked nothing like what they show in the instructions (kinda a one piece unit). I didn't see anything I could get a screw driver into or pull out.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:10 AM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Crazy View Post
That's what they have at Costco now, it looked exactly like the one at Lowes so it must be new stock and they also have new versions of Par bulbs that are different from what I got. They don't mention Cree though and it's only single large LED instead of arrangement of five small ones.
Thank you!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Thank you both. I'll give it another try. The housing my recessed lights are in looked nothing like what they show in the instructions (kinda a one piece unit). I didn't see anything I could get a screw driver into or pull out.
It should be a wing that you spin with your fingers. It will be on the side of the can. You would normally loosen it to slide the socket in and out to allow for different bulb depths.

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 02-12-2013, 07:19 AM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post

Cree is the benchmark. they have the CRI and power consumption as good as it gets right now.

CREE FTW

I became a fan after trying their LEDs in a few of my flashlights.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:40 AM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Quote:
It should be a wing that you spin with your fingers. It will be on the side of the can. You would normally loosen it to slide the socket in and out to allow for different bulb depths.
No wing nut. There are two little metal peices on either side of the socket that you squeeze and push (or pull) to adjust for different bulb depths. I tried again last night and couldn't get the ecosmart to work.

Either I am still missing something or they just aren't compatible with my fixtures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130212-00093.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	362052  
Old 02-13-2013, 11:22 AM

Pull off that trim ring, that's covering the bracket

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 02-13-2013, 11:46 AM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Quote:
Pull off that trim ring, that's covering the bracket
Thanks.

I pulled the black trim ring off. It's not covering any kind of bracket, screws, wing nuts, or anything else.

Are you saying that I should be able to pull the entire housing down (the white part that lines the fixture)?
Old 02-13-2013, 01:25 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Maybe it is held by 2-3 spring like clips? If you try to pull it from the rims, see if it gives?

Secondly, I see that it says that it also takes A type bulbs. There are these Philips bulbs that are highly rated. The 800 lumens is $16.75 (12.5W/60W) and the 1100 lumens just went down $10 to $31.97 (17W/75W).

I know you want flood type, but I thought it might be worth mentioning, because these are good quality LED bulbs.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.URv-upwo7ng

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.URwDnZwo7ng
Old 02-13-2013, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post

1065 lumens is hardly a 75W replacement, not 100W... Which is around 1600.
Pardon my lighting ignorance, but is the box saying the LED lighting in 17 watts is comparable (or equal to) to 100 watts of other bulb's lighting?
Old 02-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Driver

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
I went with SYLVANIA White 6-in LED Remodel Recessed Lighting Kits in our kitchen about 6 months ago after trying a variety of bulbs and kits from Costco, Home Depot, and a couple of online places. The brands I tried that I remember were Feit, Commercial Lighting, Cree, EcoSmart and GE.

I got them from Lowes - http://www.lowes.com/pd_78215-3-7064...hts&facetInfo=

They're about the same color temp as halogen bulbs, have a nice spread of light, and are a teeny bit brighter than the 65 watt incandescents they replaced. Every thing else I tried was either too yellow, too white, had too narrow of a beam spread, or funky colors. The beam spread tended to be a particular problem with the bulbs more than the kits.

We had CFLs before which lasted about 4 years before starting to fail. According to the specs, these LED lights should last about 5 times longer than the CFLs they replaced, the color rendering is better, no waiting for them to warm up, and they're dimmable.

Last edited by GregD; 02-13-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj745 View Post
Pardon my lighting ignorance, but is the box saying the LED lighting in 17 watts is comparable (or equal to) to 100 watts of other bulb's lighting?
Yes, the box says 100W replacement.

But it's not the 17W that is comparable. It's the light output. It's what they manage to do with the 17W. If you look at the link above for the 17W Philips, you'll see that it generates 1100 lumens and they accurately call it a 75W replacement. Not 1065 lumens as a 100W replacement like Feit is BS'ing the consumer.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:17 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
Yes, the box says 100W replacement.

But it's not the 17W that is comparable. It's the light output. It's what they manage to do with the 17W. If you look at the link above for the 17W Philips, you'll see that it generates 1100 lumens and they accurately call it a 75W replacement. Not 1065 lumens as a 100W replacement like Feit is BS'ing the consumer.
Good to know. We were just deciding what type of lighting to put in the new kitchen. Recessed 4" LED's are the way to go
Old 02-14-2013, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Kinda a side note, but I was walking my dog last night in my 'hood and thinking it's easy to spot households w/Costco membership - their exterior and sometimes interior lights are white... and look rather ridiculous.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Kinda a side note, but I was walking my dog last night in my 'hood and thinking it's easy to spot households w/Costco membership - their exterior and sometimes interior lights are white... and look rather ridiculous.
What color should lights be? Yellow?
Old 02-14-2013, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
What color should lights be? Yellow?
Red