Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 03-11-2013, 03:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
You see, here's the problem. I looked up these on Phillips website, under "specifications" and they DON'T give the lumens. Mark that out as "highly suspicious".

Then I looked them up on "1000bulbs.com" and they are marked as 280 lumens.

Then on the same website I typed "50 watt incandescent bulb" and hit search. I got THIS (http://1000bulbs.com/search/?q=50+wa...ndescent+bulbs). one bulb 400 lumens, a few 550, one 560, one 580.

Now you tell me. Isn't 280 exactly HALF of a 50 watts lightbulb? I told you. Wattage is BS and they are lying to the customers.

On the other hand, here is a PAR20 LED, 9W, that produces 540 lumens. Twice what you have now. http://1000bulbs.com/product/69964/T...6P2041KFL.html
totally with you here - and this is another way they hide the LED cost - they try to sell you LESS LEDs as being comparable - and they're NOT. To get comparable lumen output to the CFLs, you have to spend 5-6 times as much as the CFL it seems... given that the LEDs will only use half the electricity of the CFL, that equation isn't going to pay-off until we're into the 3rd CFL bulb... I say wait....

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!

Last edited by wyb; 03-11-2013 at 03:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-11-2013, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: A car
[QUOTE=cwsqbm;7435700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
There is nothing good about waiting 2 minutes in the dark waiting for a light to turn on./QUOTE]

What kind of crap CFL does that? I've bought the cheapest sale CFLs and they come on instantly. Even my 4' FL (with electronic ballasts) come on instantly in my garage at 20F. Its not like the old school mechanical ballasts that wouldn't work when cold.
they come on - but they don't get up to full light output for a while - bulbs outside are even worse because they have to warm up - or so it seems. Are you saying that your CFLs are at peak output immediately - mine aren't and that bugs me - the result is we leave them on longer.... in areas where we typically leave a light on, the CFL saves a ton of electricity - we use 23w CFLs where we used to 75w incandescent - so we're at about 1/3 of the electricity - the mfgs and home depot say "uses 75% less" - I don't think you do if you value the quality of the light output, but you're at around a third. They say a 23w is supposed to be the same output as a 100w - meh...

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 03-11-2013, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
You see, here's the problem. I looked up these on Phillips website, under "specifications" and they DON'T give the lumens. Mark that out as "highly suspicious".

Then I looked them up on "1000bulbs.com" and they are marked as 280 lumens.

Then on the same website I typed "50 watt incandescent bulb" and hit search. I got THIS (http://1000bulbs.com/search/?q=50+wa...ndescent+bulbs). one bulb 400 lumens, a few 550, one 560, one 580.

Now you tell me. Isn't 280 exactly HALF of a 50 watts lightbulb? I told you. Wattage is BS and they are lying to the customers.

On the other hand, here is a PAR20 LED, 9W, that produces 540 lumens. Twice what you have now. http://1000bulbs.com/product/69964/T...6P2041KFL.html
Thnx a mil for your your thorough search on this as I couldnt wrap my head around it for the life of me especially after the Home Depot guy tells me today "it's about the watts, not the lumens"

My kitchen designer proposed I remove the middle two pot lights and place a chandelier from there for moreof a traditional look and for the lighting I'm looking for.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
it's a bummer that led won't work for those really high cans you have there - save getting up on a ladder or sending someone up there for a very long time!
Old 03-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
FYI. Here is a regular household light bulb, which is a lowly 25w bulb.

Notice it says 210 lumens?

And they are trying to tell you that the 280 lumens is a 50w equivalent???

40W. 370 lumens.

That means that your 280 lumens is somewhat around 29w light bulb. And they dare calling this a 50w equivalent? Shame on them.

60W. 780 lumens.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj745 View Post
Thnx a mil for your your thorough search on this as I couldnt wrap my head around it for the life of me especially after the Home Depot guy tells me today "it's about the watts, not the lumens"

My kitchen designer proposed I remove the middle two pot lights and place a chandelier from there for moreof a traditional look and for the lighting I'm looking for.
The home depot guy is in urgent need to reeducate himself on his job. Too bad, as I am sure the most of them are genuinely trying to help you.

Re. your kitchen designer. How about you buy two of the LED from that link I posted? Get two bulbs for about $23, install them and see how they look. In the greater scheme, what do you got to lose, another $50? You could probably be able to return them if they don't work out for you.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:24 AM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Mein Auto: Duh!
Update:

The Feit bulb is in the lead. It's bright, but not too bright. There is a slight lag (1 sec.) when it comes on the first time in the morning, but subsequent times it's quicker. $20 at Costco.

The ecosmart bulb, which I thought I would like better, is too bright. It has an even longer lag time than the Feit and doesn't improve with repeated operation. $30 at Home Depot.