Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 Fire Orange BMW M3
Clear Bra Questions

I did search through a number of posts about clear bras and I still have a few questions about how it will look.

I'm thinking about getting one that covers the whole hood, both front quarter panels, the front bumper, side mirrors, and the headlights.

Will the car look funny with it half covered and half not? Will there be a noticeable difference between the two halves?

Can I expect one piece of film for each major part or will there be seams? The whole reason I want to do the full hood and full quarter panels is to avoid seams in the first place.

What's a good price for this? I've been quoted $1400 and $1800. While those sound high to me, I just don't know.

Are there brands of film I should avoid? Or ones that are highly recommended?

Many thanks.

Rob

2013 M3 Coupe, LRP Edition, Competition, Premium, 6MT, CF Roof
2010 M3 Coupe, Premium, Technology, DCT, gone but not forgotten
2006 530 XI

Last edited by rotorheadbob; 03-03-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2013, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 E92 M3
A colleague of mine just had this done on his Boxster the way you are going, the full body wrap. The seams are barely perceptible up close. However the film is noticeable when you are wearing polarized sun glasses. Apparently it must have a coating similar to glass tinting. This made it very noticeable in the right light and with polarized sunglasses. His paint is the light silver (Rhodium silver metallic).
Old 03-04-2013, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorheadbob View Post
I did search through a number of posts about clear bras and I still have a few questions about how it will look.

I'm thinking about getting one that covers the whole hood, both front quarter panels, the front bumper, side mirrors, and the headlights.

Will the car look funny with it half covered and half not? Will there be a noticeable difference between the two halves?

Can I expect one piece of film for each major part or will there be seams? The whole reason I want to do the full hood and full quarter panels is to avoid seams in the first place.

What's a good price for this? I've been quoted $1400 and $1800. While those sound high to me, I just don't know.

Many thanks.

Rob
I had 3M clear bra installed on my 2011 M3 Jerez Black for $715. I did 1/2 the hood/ quarter panels, side mirrors, etc. - there's no noticeable lines unless you get within about 2 ft. I've installed 3M clear bra on 2 other cars, and I'm very happy with the results and paint protection.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i Sport
Quote:

Many thanks.

Rob
I had it done, exactly as you described. I would not go half on the hood. with darker colors you can see the line. There was a Porsche 911 that had the half bra done and he saw my car, which was done at the same time. He told the installer..."I want my car redone and do it just like that BMW." Here is a link to take a look what I had done with large pictures: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ight=clear+bra
Old 03-07-2013, 09:36 AM
energetik9

Mein Auto: waiting for the M4!
I had the 3M clear bra on my X5 for 4 years and had Ventureshield on my 335. Didn't have any issues with either. I was told at the time I had my 335 done, that ventureshield was now owned by 3M, but it was a seperate product and that it was thinner than the 3M product. For the price you got quotes, it actually sounds a little low to me. On my 335, I did 22 inches up the hood, mirrors, full front end and it was $1400 and that was from a private installer. A full kit (I believe) can be cut to avoid seams. I will tell you though that even though I only went 22" up the hood, the seam was not that noticable. I was careful to avoid draggin wax along the seam and I would carefully clean the edge (gently) a few times a year with a toothbrush. Very carefully of course. You will always notice it, but when I asked others, unless they looked very closely, I often had to point it out to them.
Previous - X5 3.0i with prem/sport
Previous - 2000 ///M roadster
----------------------------
Someone should invent a sarcasm font...
Old 03-07-2013, 09:40 AM
energetik9

Hey, just realized you were DC metro. PM me if you want the name of the guy I used. He works out of his garage, but he is a Bimmerfest member and he did great work. Highly recommended and he warranties all his work. I did mine 2+ years ago, but I am assuming he still does it. He lives in Herdon, VA near Dulles.

Love your color btw. Jealous.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Fire Orange BMW M3
Thanks all your replies! I'm going with the full hood, full front quarter panels, bumper, and mirrors.

Thanks energetik9, for the offer of your installer. Too hard to do from where I live without taking a day off from work. I found a local guy instead. Thanks, too, for the comments about the color, it definitely gets noticed!

2013 M3 Coupe, LRP Edition, Competition, Premium, 6MT, CF Roof
2010 M3 Coupe, Premium, Technology, DCT, gone but not forgotten
2006 530 XI
Old 03-08-2013, 06:03 AM
energetik9

Quote:
Thanks all your replies! I'm going with the full hood, full front quarter panels, bumper, and mirrors.

Thanks energetik9, for the offer of your installer. Too hard to do from where I live without taking a day off from work. I found a local guy instead. Thanks, too, for the comments about the color, it definitely gets noticed!
No worries. I'm holding out to order the M4, but I LOVE your color. My huge debate is I metro every day, so I go through debates about whether or not I even need a new car. We already have two cars, but I would just keep my older Honda pilot for utility, so having three cars and taking the metro every day begins to sound silly. The pilot works great for the dogs, but it sits in the garage for two weeks at a time. Tough decisions.....

Anyway, good luck. I personally think the clear bra is the way to go.

Last edited by energetik9; 03-08-2013 at 06:05 AM.