Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-08-2013, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i BMW
Window Regulator

hello everyone, is it possible to remove the corner roller from the window regulator? If so, how? Thank you guys.
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2013, 02:06 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootz4u View Post
hello everyone, is it possible to remove the corner roller from the window regulator? If so, how? Thank you guys.
Yes.

But you will be on relatively uncharted ground.

You'll find dozens of pictures of all the parts of the window regulator in these recent threads by MatWiz and me (found by typing /window regulator F3 into the bestlinks)...

- How to diagnose and replace a BMW E39 front driver side door window regulator (1) and how to remove a BMW E39 front passenger side door window regulator (1) (2) & the unintuitive trick to effortlessly loosen and tighten the astronomical cable tension without damaging the front door window regulator (1) & how to rebuild and restring your current E39 front door window regulator (1) & scores of pictures showing how NOT to remove & repair your front door window regulators (1) & what is the empty two-wire connector in the front driver side door used for anyway (1) (2)

Note: Your job is to pick up where we left off to add knowledge!

Having read all those threads, I would recommend you start with MatWiz' thread first.
Then head on to my cable tensioning thread, and pay attention to post #43, where we start to answer the question MatWiz asks at post #40:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
Isn't there someone who sells (sold?) rollers replacements?
See also this highly pictorial thread.

Your role in this is to expand our tribal knowledge in sourcing and replacing the rollers.

Last edited by bluebee; 02-09-2013 at 02:12 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:03 AM

Thank You BuleBee, I will read over them today. Hopefully, I can fix it without having to buy a new regulator.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Thank You BuleBee, I will read over them today. Hopefully, I can fix it without having to buy a new regulator.
Let us know what you find out in your research.

Basically, the stated approach is to find an aftermarket supplier of the roller and pin, and then drill out the existing "pin" in the middle of the roller, and then to insert the new pin and roller. Then you restring the cables.

So, your first task is to find a supplier for the roller & pin assembly.
The rest should be relatively easy.

BTW, WHY are you wanting to replace the old roller?
Please snap pictures of your OLD window regulator for us to see how it chipped.
See my chipped roller by way of example.

Please post your pictures as we learn more from the photos than from the text.

Here's an example, where mine chipped because the window was rolled up AFTER I removed the window glass - so the little trollies crashed into the aft top roller.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:27 PM

Hello Bluebee, Thanks for all the info, what happend to mine is the part of the tint on the bottom part of the window tore off and left it sticky. I didnt want to roll down the window because it kinda got stuck due to the exposed glue. I recently took my car to the body shop so they can touch up the paint. When I got it back, I guess they tried to open the window because it was slightly open and letting the air in. When I got home I tried to pick it up with my hands but it was loose so I started to take it apart. I have never done something like this but I was having fun. I like to take things apart. Well after I took the regulator out I did see they indeed tried to open it because the top part of the cable (red cap) was broken and the roller was broken. I think I may just have to buy a new one. I found the cheapest ones on Parts train but I have not ordered it yet because I was still trying to fix this one. Since the red cap broke I was thinking about putting a washer in its place and for the roller, I wanted to turn it around so the wire would not be able to come off. I am not sure if it would work and would hate to put everything back together and after a few days, months it would fall again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0623.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	361574   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0625.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	361575   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0626.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	361576  
Old 02-09-2013, 06:04 PM
BMW's are like women. $$$

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528i T Wagon
Unfortunately if you go cheap it won't last long. I tried and lasted a whole 4 months before it self destructed. Just bite bullet and buy the good one
Old 02-09-2013, 08:44 PM

YOur right dtadrian. I dont want to have to do the job twice. Do You know of a trusted online parts web?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:50 PM

The only one I know that are good and stand by their product is bavauto.com. I think their cheaper one is 89 plus shipping. But it comes with a 1year warrantee and its made in Germany. Not china
Old 02-16-2013, 09:22 PM

Thanks dtadrian, just saw your reply. I went ahead and got it from parts train and it came in yesterday. I installed it today and the window works great, but when I put everything back together, the air bag light wont turn off. I connected the air bag back. I wonder if it will come off on its own but know Ive got another problem. When took my car to the car wash. Afterwards I headed on back home but it turned off at the light and I got a message that says Engine FailSafe Prog and it starts but wont stay on. Now I need to find out what the is going on. Well, I still love my car. Thank you guys for all the help.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
the air bag light wont turn off.
Regarding the air bag light:
- What is the cheapest usable BMW E39 airbag srs reset/scan tool on the net (1) & what other scan tools reset the fault (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & a BMW description of the SRS system (1) & what can cause a BMW E39 SRS airbag light (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & a cn90 DIY for replacing the driver seat belt buckle pretensioner and the passenger seat emulator (1) (2) & where to obtain an airbag occupancy sensor bypass unit (0) (1) (2) & what happens when we disconnect the airbag before the battery or we connect the battery before disconnecting the airbag in seat and window regulator repairs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8)
Old 02-17-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Thanks dtadrian, just saw your reply. I went ahead and got it from parts train and it came in yesterday. I installed it today and the window works great, but when I put everything back together, the air bag light wont turn off. I connected the air bag back. I wonder if it will come off on its own but know Ive got another problem. When took my car to the car wash. Afterwards I headed on back home but it turned off at the light and I got a message that says Engine FailSafe Prog and it starts but wont stay on. Now I need to find out what the is going on. Well, I still love my car. Thank you guys for all the help.
Did you do this work with the battery connected? If so that's why your airbag light is on. Try to disconnect your battery for a while to see if it reset. If not you may need to get the reset tool. As far as the fail safe mode after car wash.... Did your car throw and check engine lights? Check for codes. It seem that maybe water got in somewhere that affected it. Check and let us know
Old 02-17-2013, 06:58 AM

Thank You BlueBee. I was wonder why the light was on. When I looked at the DIY they did mention to reconnect the battery and then the air bag. I kept that in mind but then I had to roll down the window to get to the screws the hold the glass and connected the battery. I thought it would just reset itself. Well I learn something everyday. I still have to do the driver side window so I might as well do it know before taking it to get rest. Thank You BlueBee
Old 02-17-2013, 07:57 AM

Hi dtadrian, thanks for replying, the engine light never came on. When I got it home last night, I disconnected the battery and left it overnight. I am going to go an take a look at it in a little while. I will keep ya updated.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:54 AM

Any updates on sourcing the rollers?

This thread is listed in the bestlinks as "how to replace just the rollers (1) (2)" so an update would be useful to all.

Last edited by bluebee; 02-21-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:38 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: E39 528I
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Any updates on sourcing the rollers?

This thread is listed in the bestlinks as "how to replace just the rollers (1) (2)" so an update would be useful to all.
Sorry to revive an old thread, however I am a machinist. Get me the dimensions and I can make some REALLY easily. My cnc lathe is sitting more than it runs. Let me know....
Old 05-24-2014, 09:59 AM

Great toybreaker, I was never able to fix the broken one so I had to buy a new one.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:01 PM

There is potentially very useful information for those who chipped their brittle plastic window regulator rollers:
> E46 (1999 - 2006) > Do i need a new rear window regulator?
Quote:
Originally Posted by catso View Post
I replaced my plastic rollers with brass ball-bearing patio door rollers I bought at Lowes. Cost me 4 bucks for two of them and they work like a charm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Was it these Lowe's rollers?

Or maybe these?

Or, maybe even these?
Old 08-11-2014, 11:19 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

I can see on the Ebay thread the width Outside Diameter and Inside diameter... how wide is the groove? how deep? I don't want to take apart my working doors for measurementa and possibly destroy the tops of the door cards, They are already on their last legs from the repairs when I bought the car.

Seriously I can buzz a metric crap ton of these wheels out of aluminum or brass REALLY quick....
LMK
Old 08-12-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toybreaker View Post
Seriously I can buzz a metric crap ton of these wheels out of aluminum or brass REALLY quick....
I think it's a great idea if you make 'em and sell them to us.
I will see if I can find my old window regulator and measure, with a mic, the dimensions for you.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:43 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

On my bucket list to develop an item and sell it. Get me the dimensions and I will make some for you to try out...we'll tweak it and when satisfied I'll market it for sale. These wheels should be useful to other series as well.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 525i 2002
mine has squeakin sound (because i left it in the rain) while window moves up and down.will re greasing components fix this problem?
Old 08-25-2014, 04:33 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

My passenger side rear regulator failed... so I need to take the door apart to find out what went wrong. I might just be able to get all the measurements I need from my own car!

Lets see if I can find the time this coming week to get it done. I have a huge honey do list on top of getting some scuba diving certifications done.....