Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-09-2013, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 325Ci Coupe
Red face Matching fog and "Flash to Pass" lights to my Xenons?

I'm looking to buy some new bulbs this weekend so that they will match (or come as close as possible) to my stock Xenon low beams. Eventually, I plan on replacing my fog lights with some true HID's, but until that time, I would like to get some in there that look pretty close to my LB's. Has anyone had any luck on finding matching colors? I know it's apples to oranges with light output, color, etc. but I would like some that look pretty close.

I'm looking for the fog lights and the "flash to pass"/alternate high beams so any info and/or pictures would be great!
Ads by Google
Old 02-09-2013, 08:11 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Fog lights are designed to be used *in fog only*....they were never intended to be used as driving lights. Just leave `em alone....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*
Old 02-09-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Fog lights are designed to be used *in fog only*....they were never intended to be used as driving lights. Just leave `em alone....
Turn signal indicators were originally designed to be amber, but your sig shows otherwise. I guess everyone likes to customize their own vehicles to their liking ay
Old 02-09-2013, 08:25 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourrid View Post
Turn signal indicators were originally designed to be amber, but your sig shows otherwise. I guess everyone likes to customize their own vehicles to their liking ay
STOCK....not modded....Mmmkay ?

If you mod your fog lights, they *will no longer function as fog lights*, which was my point....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*
Old 02-09-2013, 03:48 PM
The UltimatE46 Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2005 330Ci ZHP
For the headlights, I've used Sylvania Silverstar (H7s) and they're way brighter/whiter than the factory ones.
I never messed with the fogs in my 325Ci but in the 330Ci I swapped them out with projectors and a 35W 6000K kit. There's not much fog around here, maybe 5 days out of the year which is why I was ok with changing the light from yellow to white.

Here's a vid I made a while ago showing all the lighting mods:
Old 02-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Another thing to remember is that bulbs change color over time (both Xenon and halogen). So trying to color match them is trying to hit a moving target.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKayo View Post
For the headlights, I've used Sylvania Silverstar (H7s) and they're way brighter/whiter than the factory ones.
I never messed with the fogs in my 325Ci but in the 330Ci I swapped them out with projectors and a 35W 6000K kit. There's not much fog around here, maybe 5 days out of the year which is why I was ok with changing the light from yellow to white.

Here's a vid I made a while ago showing all the lighting mods:

Thanks for the info! Anyone know what the stock headlight temperature range is? Maybe I can track down a proper bulb color that way?
Old 02-10-2013, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
I think Hoen is a company that makes fog lights to match.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlukas161 View Post
I think Hoen is a company that makes fog lights to match.
Cool, I will look them up for sure. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 02-10-2013, 10:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 325Ci Convertible
AHHHH ! When I bought my BMW, I was thinking that the owners are usually nice people.. waving, stopping to talk, etc.. but these forums seem to be filled with assholes... The OP asked a question and gets an asshole answer about how you should only customize cars in ways that other people approve of. I understand the cars are German, but you don't have to act like Hitler. If you don't like what HE does to HIS car, then don't do it to yours. No need to be an ass.
Being OCD I like my lights to match in color also.. Try looking for a Philips HIR2 light for the fog lights ( 9012 fits the 9006 )
AND for the ass... Most of these aftermarket light bulbs improve visibility well over the factory light bulbs.. turning them on at night even when there is no fog greatly improves visibility over the xenon hid head lights.. anything that improves visibility at night is a good thing... and each person has their own opinion, but to some of us the car just looks better at night with the fog lights on and all lights being of the same color.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:23 AM

Send a message via MSN to wdaveweaver Send a message via Yahoo to wdaveweaver Send a message via Skype™ to wdaveweaver
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakusaurus View Post
AHHHH ! When I bought my BMW, I was thinking that the owners are usually nice people.. waving, stopping to talk, etc.. but these forums seem to be filled with assholes... The OP asked a question and gets an asshole answer about how you should only customize cars in ways that other people approve of. I understand the cars are German, but you don't have to act like Hitler. If you don't like what HE does to HIS car, then don't do it to yours. No need to be an ass.
Being OCD I like my lights to match in color also.. Try looking for a Philips HIR2 light for the fog lights ( 9012 fits the 9006 )
AND for the ass... Most of these aftermarket light bulbs improve visibility well over the factory light bulbs.. turning them on at night even when there is no fog greatly improves visibility over the xenon hid head lights.. anything that improves visibility at night is a good thing... and each person has their own opinion, but to some of us the car just looks better at night with the fog lights on and all lights being of the same color.
You join the forum only days ago, have two posts (including this rant) and proceed to call one of our most respected and longest members an Ahole??? WOW - I'm sure you will get some love here.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakusaurus View Post

Freakusaurus, thanks for the info man. I am new to the BMW scene and really expected there to be some sort of a comradery between owners. Much more than Nissan or Ford owners for example. I quickly found that there are a few, not many, individuals that believe a BMW should look a certain way and ONLY that certain way; even though they customize their vehicles in an ironically "un-stock" manner

I will definitely be looking into those lights as I am OCD when it comes to things like that as well. I'm sure a more yellowish light probably has its advantages, but slowing down slightly and hitting your brights works just as well for me. (personal opinion)

Quote:
wdaveweaver
You join the forum only days ago, have two posts (including this rant) and proceed to call one of our most respected and longest members an Ahole??? WOW - I'm sure you will get some love here.
Wdaveweaver, I am new here as well. I understand that helping people gains respect, but a simple post count doesn't mean much if they only pertain comments like "Just leave `em alone.... " when someone is asking for help.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 325Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdaveweaver View Post

I have been lurking in the forums for a while.. Everytime I type in some car related issue into a search, it always points me to these forums.. Kinda odd considering I normally don't search for a specific vehicle yet I am indeed asking about my own BMW and it sends me to BMW forums.. Guess a lot of people with BMWs have the same issues I have.
If the person you respect is an asshole, that doesn't say much about you. The OP asked for simple help which other users refused to give him. I pointed him in the direction of a particular light. Other HELPFUL opinions by other BMW owners would be appreciated. I don't need a lot of love here. My post count will never be high, because I don't feel the urge to post on everything or be an ass to fellow car enthusiast. I may have only posted twice, but both times they were with helpful answers to questions where other people decided to tell the OP to pretty much screw off... I will continue to lurk. I will post if I can be helpful. I will ask a question if I would like an answer and I hope I get nice people to respond to my questions.
There is a sterotype that says BMW owners are all assholes.... You shouldn't feed into the steriotype by living up to it.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:56 AM
The UltimatE46 Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2005 330Ci ZHP
Don't be surprised about the BMW forums, there are a lot of assholes. I used to be a member on E46Fanatics, MFEST, ZHPMafia, etc. Stopped using/visiting/posting in two of them since most members are just judgmental pricks, plain and simple. Giving this a try, but if its mostly flamers and idiots too then it's their loss.
As for the mods, just as long as they aren't flagrant like huge CF spoilers or an M3 badge on a non-M, do whatever makes you happy. It is your car anyways.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
If you insist on HIDs in your fogs I would just wait and do that when you have the time/cash. No matter how many times they print "xenon look", "xenon gas filled" and "xenon style" on those made in china knockoffs it doesn't look like xenon.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 05 545i
Sorry, I guess I have to agree with the A-hole AKA fastbob. Fogs are made for fog and poor driving conditions. Sorry, but this has always been a big pet peave of mine. When you upgrade these Fog/Driving lights, the beam pattern isn't made for clear night driving and it blinds oncoming drivers.

I changed both my 545i and Scion tC to yellow. Much better in rain and snow and fog. I prefer to see the road then to blind oncoming traffic.

I could be wrong, but I have always thought driving lights are supposed to be used in dark deserted roads. Not high traffic areas.

Just checked my manual and BMW does call them Fog lamps. So who here is the real A&&hole.

Changing your car so it looks cool is just disrespectful to other drivers, that is not responsable driving.

Kids are so different now a days. I must be getting old.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: '04 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp735i View Post

Kids are so different now a days. I must be getting old.
"Now get off my lawn!"

J/K. I agree - fog lamps are for fog, not for looking cool. That being said, color matching all your lights is certainly not a sin. I believe the stock Xenons are around 4200K? Should be able to search this.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishful Thinking View Post
"Now get off my lawn!"

J/K. I agree - fog lamps are for fog, not for looking cool. That being said, color matching all your lights is certainly not a sin. I believe the stock Xenons are around 4200K? Should be able to search this.
HAHAHA Well done

If I had known that the color of my fog lights would have caused such a stir I would have just left it alone

Thanks for the temp range Fishful, I'll see where I can go with that without asking any more questions on the topic. Case closed