Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 02-10-2013, 12:08 PM
bimmer40 bimmer40 is offline
Registered User
Location: NM
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 42
Mein Auto: X3, 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mryakanisachoad View Post
Was it a regular shopping cart or one of those Home Depot specials?

I'm suddenly concerned that a regular shopping cart (unless it was full of cases of water or something) could cause enough damage to a BMW door that would require a 1500 dollar repair.

Does aluminum really fracture that easily? That was the real reason I dumped my Lotus - it bruised like a peach and every repair was expensive and a waste of time.
Actually, I have seen regular carts sometimes do this kind of damage. I was at the local Smiths and came out and saw a cart kissing my Corolla. The front quarter lighting panel was broken. Thankfully no body damage. Being a Corolla I could fix the lighting for about $200 (about 10 yes ago).

I had a hit on my X3 from a Whole Foods shopping cart. But the cart hit the front bumper and no damage done. (It was only a glancing blow).

And for what it is worth, I have seen more people ditching the carts by the cars at the local Whole Foods compared to any other place.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-10-2013, 12:52 PM
mryakanisachoad's Avatar
mryakanisachoad mryakanisachoad is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: brooklyn,ny
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 570
Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer40 View Post

And for what it is worth, I have seen more people ditching the carts by the cars at the local Whole Foods compared to any other place.
Lol of course!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-10-2013, 03:06 PM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,929
Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
The whole food shoppers are more entitled.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-10-2013, 03:14 PM
John NY John NY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Westchester
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 204
Mein Auto: F430 Spider
Obviously nothing is foolproof, but I find the safest places to park are near other nice cars, and if possible, 4 door cars. When I say nice cars, I'm not limiting it to high end cars. Even less expensive cars that are well cared for tend have owners who are more cautious.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-11-2013, 10:53 AM
bimmer40 bimmer40 is offline
Registered User
Location: NM
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 42
Mein Auto: X3, 535xi
After looking at this pic, one PDR guy declined. I have two inspections scheduled for tomorrow and one on Wednesday. I will let you know how it goes.

If not PDR, then what would be the best way?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	361815  
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-11-2013, 11:12 AM
mryakanisachoad's Avatar
mryakanisachoad mryakanisachoad is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: brooklyn,ny
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 570
Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer40 View Post
After looking at this pic, one PDR guy declined. I have two inspections scheduled for tomorrow and one on Wednesday. I will let you know how it goes.

If not PDR, then what would be the best way?
Did he decline because of location, size or because it's aluminum?

Or some of all of the above?

Your best resource for info is probably Alan because it appears he just had the same issue and he's knowledgeable about this stuff in general...
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-11-2013, 11:13 AM
mryakanisachoad's Avatar
mryakanisachoad mryakanisachoad is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: brooklyn,ny
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 570
Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John NY View Post
Obviously nothing is foolproof, but I find the safest places to park are near other nice cars, and if possible, 4 door cars. When I say nice cars, I'm not limiting it to high end cars. Even less expensive cars that are well cared for tend have owners who are more cautious.
This is good advice.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-11-2013, 11:19 AM
bimmer40 bimmer40 is offline
Registered User
Location: NM
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 42
Mein Auto: X3, 535xi
Size. He said something about the fact that if he fixes it, it may not be that good. Loking at the first pic he had said would cost about $200. This guy claims to specialize in high end PDR and would drive down. I wanted him to get an idea before he showed up.

Other guys I have talked to work in tandem with local body shops. So I will be paying them a visit soon. As far as body workgoes, wondering whether I should just live with this for sometiem and then have it repaired. Also, I decided not to call the insurance. No point in jacking up the rates... (Plus I have a 1K deductible).
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Kzang's Avatar
Kzang Kzang is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,843
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
I have fixed a dent similar to that on a crease with a pops a dent I bought really cheap Only difference is that mine was done on a E60 door.

__________________
2013 X5 35i Premium, Space Gray, Cinnamon Brown Leather, Dark Bamboo wood trim, Conv. Pkg, CWP, Multi-contour seats, Running board, BMW App. Space saver tire.
Previous Cars
2010 535i - Deep Sea Blue w/ NBD Leather, Bamboo Anthracite WT, Sport Auto Trans w/ Paddle shifter, Sports Pkg, PP, CWP, Nav, HD Radio, Ipod.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 AM
bimmer40 bimmer40 is offline
Registered User
Location: NM
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 42
Mein Auto: X3, 535xi
Ok. Had two PDR guys looks at it. First one (at a body shop) declined flat. The second guy looked at it and tested whether he had enough space to work with. He said that the bimmer had a window motor/control module that was in the way. He said if there was a way to remove that he can do PDR. But he admitted that it was not worth the cost to have a mechanic do the motor removal and then do PDR. For the same cost you can get traditional dent removal.

Talked to the local dealer. They have a guy who does PDR for them. I am meeting him tomorrow.

Reputable bodyshop in town quoted $1.5K for repair. Labor + Paint supplies. No need to replace skin (at leat thats what I inferred looking at the estimate).

Will update after tomorrow's meeting.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-12-2013, 01:57 PM
Chuck W.'s Avatar
Chuck W. Chuck W. is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Agoura Hills (LA) CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 955
Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer40 View Post
Will update after tomorrow's meeting.
What a PITA. Hang in there.
__________________
2012 BMW 535I 24,000 Miles
ED Pick Up on 12/03/2011; US Pick Up on 01/27/1012
Alpine White, M Sport, Blk Nappa, Cold Weather, Luxury Seating, Premium, Premium Sound, Tech, Sports Trans, Active Cruise, Heads-Up

Mods - Quad Exhaust Tips, HID Fog Lights, Clear Front Reflectors, M5 Spoiler, Calipers Painted Black, 12.5 mm Rear Wheel Spacers, Tint - 5% Rear, 35% Front & 50% Windshield - BlackVue DR500GW Dash Cam, Blendmount for Valentine One

Coding by tuesday (aka; itschase) (Chase)
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Alan L. Alan L. is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Coast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,448
Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
1500 sounds about right assuming they are fixing the door and blending two other panels. My shop is one of the best in NY and they charge about 500 per panel so your figure is about right.

What color is your car? If its a non metallic i would push to not have the other panels blended and just focus on the dented door. the paint is still new a good shop should be able to match the paint well enough. I'm not a fan of non OEM paint unless its absolutely necessary.

Alan
__________________

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-12-2013, 03:53 PM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,929
Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
The worst case senerio here is that a dent removal guy does the job and the outcome is not satifactory. Personally, I would have went straight to the body shop. Dents on a crease almost never come out perfect with dent removal.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-12-2013, 04:21 PM
bimmer40 bimmer40 is offline
Registered User
Location: NM
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 42
Mein Auto: X3, 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post

What color is your car? If its a non metallic i would push to not have the other panels blended and just focus on the dented door. the paint is still new a good shop should be able to match the paint well enough. I'm not a fan of non OEM paint unless its absolutely necessary.

Alan
Its *metallic* graphite gray. So yes, they need to repaint three panels. I am still trying to see if I can do a PDR for 85% success.

If body work is necessary, I plan to wait until summer. The reason being this: I drive my daughter to school and one stretch is covered with underbrush on both sides. With barely enough room on the road for two cars, I am certain to get some scratches on the passenger sides. Come summer, she will be off to another school. So might pay to get the scratches taken care off as well.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-12-2013, 04:27 PM
mryakanisachoad's Avatar
mryakanisachoad mryakanisachoad is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: brooklyn,ny
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 570
Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer40 View Post
Ok. Had two PDR guys looks at it. First one (at a body shop) declined flat. The second guy looked at it and tested whether he had enough space to work with. He said that the bimmer had a window motor/control module that was in the way. He said if there was a way to remove that he can do PDR. But he admitted that it was not worth the cost to have a mechanic do the motor removal and then do PDR. For the same cost you can get traditional dent removal.

Talked to the local dealer. They have a guy who does PDR for them. I am meeting him tomorrow.

Reputable bodyshop in town quoted $1.5K for repair. Labor + Paint supplies. No need to replace skin (at leat thats what I inferred looking at the estimate).

Will update after tomorrow's meeting.
Interesting. So someone said he could do it if he could gain access to the area? So the aluminum isn't the issue.

My guy Francesco learned his trade in West Gemany almost 30 years ago. I call him the miracle worker. He's saved me thousands upon thousands of dollars over the years.

Would it really cost more than 1,300 bucks to break down the door enough to get to the panel? (I'm factoring in 200 dollars for the PDR guy).
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-12-2013, 04:33 PM
mryakanisachoad's Avatar
mryakanisachoad mryakanisachoad is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: brooklyn,ny
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 570
Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
The worst case senerio here is that a dent removal guy does the job and the outcome is not satifactory. Personally, I would have went straight to the body shop. Dents on a crease almost never come out perfect with dent removal.
He said he wasn't looking for perfect. I hope I don't offend anyone by saying that I'm not sure body plastic and non factory refinishing work could ever be described as perfect.

I worked in a body shop as a piss boy when I was younger. Ugh
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-12-2013, 04:35 PM
mryakanisachoad's Avatar
mryakanisachoad mryakanisachoad is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: brooklyn,ny
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 570
Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
1500 sounds about right assuming they are fixing the door and blending two other panels. My shop is one of the best in NY and they charge about 500 per panel so your figure is about right.

What color is your car? If its a non metallic i would push to not have the other panels blended and just focus on the dented door. the paint is still new a good shop should be able to match the paint well enough. I'm not a fan of non OEM paint unless its absolutely necessary.

Alan
Which shop do you use? I know you're fussy (good thing!).
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-12-2013, 06:07 PM
bimmer40 bimmer40 is offline
Registered User
Location: NM
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 42
Mein Auto: X3, 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mryakanisachoad View Post
Interesting. So someone said he could do it if he could gain access to the area? So the aluminum isn't the issue.

My guy Francesco learned his trade in West Gemany almost 30 years ago. I call him the miracle worker. He's saved me thousands upon thousands of dollars over the years.

Would it really cost more than 1,300 bucks to break down the door enough to get to the panel? (I'm factoring in 200 dollars for the PDR guy).
He actually said that the Bimmers are workable and the bodies are pretty good. I am not sure how much it would cost to break down the door. If it has to be done a workshop, I figure the labor will be much more. His point was that if you are going to spend about $1K to get an 85% fix, you might want to spend 1.5K and get the 100% fix.

The PDR guy I am meeting tomorrow is supposedly a Bimmer expert. Let us see.....
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-12-2013, 06:15 PM
mryakanisachoad's Avatar
mryakanisachoad mryakanisachoad is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: brooklyn,ny
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 570
Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer40 View Post
He actually said that the Bimmers are workable and the bodies are pretty good. I am not sure how much it would cost to break down the door. If it has to be done a workshop, I figure the labor will be much more. His point was that if you are going to spend about $1K to get an 85% fix, you might want to spend 1.5K and get the 100% fix.

The PDR guy I am meeting tomorrow is supposedly a Bimmer expert. Let us see.....
Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-13-2013, 04:02 AM
Alan L. Alan L. is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Coast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,448
Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mryakanisachoad View Post
Which shop do you use? I know you're fussy (good thing!).
Martino Auto Concepts out in glen clove Long Island. They do tons of high end cars with a very impressive shop.

Alan
__________________

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-13-2013, 06:09 AM
bimmer40 bimmer40 is offline
Registered User
Location: NM
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 42
Mein Auto: X3, 535xi
Well, I also discovered a third option: For $200- $300 the local shrink will make me live with the dent.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-13-2013, 07:14 AM
Chuck W.'s Avatar
Chuck W. Chuck W. is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Agoura Hills (LA) CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 955
Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer40 View Post
Well, I also discovered a third option: For $200- $300 the local shrink will make me live with the dent.
Yes, but that is per week. To learn to live with that dent you would need years of therapy.
__________________
2012 BMW 535I 24,000 Miles
ED Pick Up on 12/03/2011; US Pick Up on 01/27/1012
Alpine White, M Sport, Blk Nappa, Cold Weather, Luxury Seating, Premium, Premium Sound, Tech, Sports Trans, Active Cruise, Heads-Up

Mods - Quad Exhaust Tips, HID Fog Lights, Clear Front Reflectors, M5 Spoiler, Calipers Painted Black, 12.5 mm Rear Wheel Spacers, Tint - 5% Rear, 35% Front & 50% Windshield - BlackVue DR500GW Dash Cam, Blendmount for Valentine One

Coding by tuesday (aka; itschase) (Chase)
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-13-2013, 07:28 AM
Alan L. Alan L. is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Coast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,448
Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
^^ LOL i agree.

I couldn't bare with mine because every time I looked at the car my eyes automatically went straight at the dent.

In my case what made it worse is that I actually screwed myself over that day because i parked so far away from everyone, it gave the shopping cart a good ramp up speed before it nailed my door. It was a very windy day and i had a feeling i should move my car after i parked but i didn't. If i parked with everyone else i would have possibly ended up with a minor door ding instead of the sharp dent i got from one of those HUGE BJ's shopping carts (like home depot ones)

Alan
__________________

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-13-2013, 11:26 AM
Joe-BMW's Avatar
Joe-BMW Joe-BMW is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,617
Mein Auto: F10, E39, Audi Q7
I had almost the exact same thing twice and both times the dealer PDR guy got them out. One was just like yours with no paint damage and you would never know it happened after. The other was right on the crease as well and look like it would be impossible to pop out and he did it perfectly. Required a little touch up but it was more under the lip and didn't show. In both cases, I was very happy. as long as it doesn't catch my eye everything in and out of the car, I'm happy.
__________________
2012 535xi|Dark Graphite|Black Interior|M-Sport|

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-13-2013, 04:21 PM
PeterC4 PeterC4 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 960
Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer40 View Post
Its *metallic* graphite gray. So yes, they need to repaint three panels. I am still trying to see if I can do a PDR for 85% success.

If body work is necessary, I plan to wait until summer. The reason being this: I drive my daughter to school and one stretch is covered with underbrush on both sides. With barely enough room on the road for two cars, I am certain to get some scratches on the passenger sides. Come summer, she will be off to another school. So might pay to get the scratches taken care off as well.
I would avoid painting three panels. I know my eye would go to it all the time because to paint it so that it is not noticeable is hard with water based paints. Top guys can do anything, but its a bigger risk. Hope it works out with the PDR guy.
__________________
2012 535xi M-Sport, Carbon Black, Cinnamon-Alum Hex, Exec Pack, Tech Pack, HUD, Damper Control, BMW Apps, Heated Rear Seats, BMS Tune
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms