Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-10-2013, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: X3, 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mryakanisachoad View Post
Was it a regular shopping cart or one of those Home Depot specials?

I'm suddenly concerned that a regular shopping cart (unless it was full of cases of water or something) could cause enough damage to a BMW door that would require a 1500 dollar repair.

Does aluminum really fracture that easily? That was the real reason I dumped my Lotus - it bruised like a peach and every repair was expensive and a waste of time.
Actually, I have seen regular carts sometimes do this kind of damage. I was at the local Smiths and came out and saw a cart kissing my Corolla. The front quarter lighting panel was broken. Thankfully no body damage. Being a Corolla I could fix the lighting for about $200 (about 10 yes ago).

I had a hit on my X3 from a Whole Foods shopping cart. But the cart hit the front bumper and no damage done. (It was only a glancing blow).

And for what it is worth, I have seen more people ditching the carts by the cars at the local Whole Foods compared to any other place.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer40 View Post

And for what it is worth, I have seen more people ditching the carts by the cars at the local Whole Foods compared to any other place.
Lol of course!
Old 02-10-2013, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
The whole food shoppers are more entitled.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: F430 Spider
Obviously nothing is foolproof, but I find the safest places to park are near other nice cars, and if possible, 4 door cars. When I say nice cars, I'm not limiting it to high end cars. Even less expensive cars that are well cared for tend have owners who are more cautious.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:53 AM

After looking at this pic, one PDR guy declined. I have two inspections scheduled for tomorrow and one on Wednesday. I will let you know how it goes.

If not PDR, then what would be the best way?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	361815  
Old 02-11-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
After looking at this pic, one PDR guy declined. I have two inspections scheduled for tomorrow and one on Wednesday. I will let you know how it goes.

If not PDR, then what would be the best way?
Did he decline because of location, size or because it's aluminum?

Or some of all of the above?

Your best resource for info is probably Alan because it appears he just had the same issue and he's knowledgeable about this stuff in general...
Old 02-11-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John NY View Post
Obviously nothing is foolproof, but I find the safest places to park are near other nice cars, and if possible, 4 door cars. When I say nice cars, I'm not limiting it to high end cars. Even less expensive cars that are well cared for tend have owners who are more cautious.
This is good advice.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:19 AM

Size. He said something about the fact that if he fixes it, it may not be that good. Loking at the first pic he had said would cost about $200. This guy claims to specialize in high end PDR and would drive down. I wanted him to get an idea before he showed up.

Other guys I have talked to work in tandem with local body shops. So I will be paying them a visit soon. As far as body workgoes, wondering whether I should just live with this for sometiem and then have it repaired. Also, I decided not to call the insurance. No point in jacking up the rates... (Plus I have a 1K deductible).
Old 02-11-2013, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
I have fixed a dent similar to that on a crease with a pops a dent I bought really cheap Only difference is that mine was done on a E60 door.

2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 AM

Ok. Had two PDR guys looks at it. First one (at a body shop) declined flat. The second guy looked at it and tested whether he had enough space to work with. He said that the bimmer had a window motor/control module that was in the way. He said if there was a way to remove that he can do PDR. But he admitted that it was not worth the cost to have a mechanic do the motor removal and then do PDR. For the same cost you can get traditional dent removal.

Talked to the local dealer. They have a guy who does PDR for them. I am meeting him tomorrow.

Reputable bodyshop in town quoted $1.5K for repair. Labor + Paint supplies. No need to replace skin (at leat thats what I inferred looking at the estimate).

Will update after tomorrow's meeting.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
Quote:
What a PITA. Hang in there.

Mods - Quad Exhaust Tips, HID Fog Lights, Clear Front Reflectors, M5 Spoiler, Calipers Painted Black, 12.5 mm Rear Wheel Spacers, Tint - 5% Rear, 35% Front & 50% Windshield - BlackVue DR500GW Dash Cam, Blendmount for Valentine One

Coding by tuesday (aka; itschase) (Chase)
Old 02-12-2013, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
1500 sounds about right assuming they are fixing the door and blending two other panels. My shop is one of the best in NY and they charge about 500 per panel so your figure is about right.

What color is your car? If its a non metallic i would push to not have the other panels blended and just focus on the dented door. the paint is still new a good shop should be able to match the paint well enough. I'm not a fan of non OEM paint unless its absolutely necessary.

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 02-12-2013, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
The worst case senerio here is that a dent removal guy does the job and the outcome is not satifactory. Personally, I would have went straight to the body shop. Dents on a crease almost never come out perfect with dent removal.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post

What color is your car? If its a non metallic i would push to not have the other panels blended and just focus on the dented door. the paint is still new a good shop should be able to match the paint well enough. I'm not a fan of non OEM paint unless its absolutely necessary.

Alan
Its *metallic* graphite gray. So yes, they need to repaint three panels. I am still trying to see if I can do a PDR for 85% success.

If body work is necessary, I plan to wait until summer. The reason being this: I drive my daughter to school and one stretch is covered with underbrush on both sides. With barely enough room on the road for two cars, I am certain to get some scratches on the passenger sides. Come summer, she will be off to another school. So might pay to get the scratches taken care off as well.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Ok. Had two PDR guys looks at it. First one (at a body shop) declined flat. The second guy looked at it and tested whether he had enough space to work with. He said that the bimmer had a window motor/control module that was in the way. He said if there was a way to remove that he can do PDR. But he admitted that it was not worth the cost to have a mechanic do the motor removal and then do PDR. For the same cost you can get traditional dent removal.

Talked to the local dealer. They have a guy who does PDR for them. I am meeting him tomorrow.

Reputable bodyshop in town quoted $1.5K for repair. Labor + Paint supplies. No need to replace skin (at leat thats what I inferred looking at the estimate).

Interesting. So someone said he could do it if he could gain access to the area? So the aluminum isn't the issue.

My guy Francesco learned his trade in West Gemany almost 30 years ago. I call him the miracle worker. He's saved me thousands upon thousands of dollars over the years.

Would it really cost more than 1,300 bucks to break down the door enough to get to the panel? (I'm factoring in 200 dollars for the PDR guy).
Old 02-12-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
The worst case senerio here is that a dent removal guy does the job and the outcome is not satifactory. Personally, I would have went straight to the body shop. Dents on a crease almost never come out perfect with dent removal.
He said he wasn't looking for perfect. I hope I don't offend anyone by saying that I'm not sure body plastic and non factory refinishing work could ever be described as perfect.

I worked in a body shop as a piss boy when I was younger. Ugh
Old 02-12-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
1500 sounds about right assuming they are fixing the door and blending two other panels. My shop is one of the best in NY and they charge about 500 per panel so your figure is about right.

Alan
Which shop do you use? I know you're fussy (good thing!).
Old 02-12-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Interesting. So someone said he could do it if he could gain access to the area? So the aluminum isn't the issue.

My guy Francesco learned his trade in West Gemany almost 30 years ago. I call him the miracle worker. He's saved me thousands upon thousands of dollars over the years.

Would it really cost more than 1,300 bucks to break down the door enough to get to the panel? (I'm factoring in 200 dollars for the PDR guy).
He actually said that the Bimmers are workable and the bodies are pretty good. I am not sure how much it would cost to break down the door. If it has to be done a workshop, I figure the labor will be much more. His point was that if you are going to spend about $1K to get an 85% fix, you might want to spend 1.5K and get the 100% fix.

The PDR guy I am meeting tomorrow is supposedly a Bimmer expert. Let us see.....
Old 02-12-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
He actually said that the Bimmers are workable and the bodies are pretty good. I am not sure how much it would cost to break down the door. If it has to be done a workshop, I figure the labor will be much more. His point was that if you are going to spend about $1K to get an 85% fix, you might want to spend 1.5K and get the 100% fix.

The PDR guy I am meeting tomorrow is supposedly a Bimmer expert. Let us see.....
Good luck
Old 02-13-2013, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Which shop do you use? I know you're fussy (good thing!).
Martino Auto Concepts out in glen clove Long Island. They do tons of high end cars with a very impressive shop.

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 02-13-2013, 06:09 AM

Well, I also discovered a third option: For $200- $300 the local shrink will make me live with the dent.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
Quote:
Well, I also discovered a third option: For $200- $300 the local shrink will make me live with the dent.
Yes, but that is per week. To learn to live with that dent you would need years of therapy.

Mods - Quad Exhaust Tips, HID Fog Lights, Clear Front Reflectors, M5 Spoiler, Calipers Painted Black, 12.5 mm Rear Wheel Spacers, Tint - 5% Rear, 35% Front & 50% Windshield - BlackVue DR500GW Dash Cam, Blendmount for Valentine One

Coding by tuesday (aka; itschase) (Chase)
Old 02-13-2013, 07:28 AM

^^ LOL i agree.

I couldn't bare with mine because every time I looked at the car my eyes automatically went straight at the dent.

In my case what made it worse is that I actually screwed myself over that day because i parked so far away from everyone, it gave the shopping cart a good ramp up speed before it nailed my door. It was a very windy day and i had a feeling i should move my car after i parked but i didn't. If i parked with everyone else i would have possibly ended up with a minor door ding instead of the sharp dent i got from one of those HUGE BJ's shopping carts (like home depot ones)

Alan

Old 02-13-2013, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: F10, E39, Audi Q7
I had almost the exact same thing twice and both times the dealer PDR guy got them out. One was just like yours with no paint damage and you would never know it happened after. The other was right on the crease as well and look like it would be impossible to pop out and he did it perfectly. Required a little touch up but it was more under the lip and didn't show. In both cases, I was very happy. as long as it doesn't catch my eye everything in and out of the car, I'm happy.

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li
Old 02-13-2013, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
Quote:
Its *metallic* graphite gray. So yes, they need to repaint three panels. I am still trying to see if I can do a PDR for 85% success.

If body work is necessary, I plan to wait until summer. The reason being this: I drive my daughter to school and one stretch is covered with underbrush on both sides. With barely enough room on the road for two cars, I am certain to get some scratches on the passenger sides. Come summer, she will be off to another school. So might pay to get the scratches taken care off as well.
I would avoid painting three panels. I know my eye would go to it all the time because to paint it so that it is not noticeable is hard with water based paints. Top guys can do anything, but its a bigger risk. Hope it works out with the PDR guy.