Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-31-2013, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: 328i Vermillion Red
Do I need Xdrive in Northern NJ?

I was checking out 2012 convertible coupe but only available in Rear Wheel Drive.

My MB coupe had performance tires and was completely useless in ANY snow.. like even a half inch I was skidding around the city.

I noticed the BMW had all season tires so wondering if anyone has experience with these kind of tires on and rear wheel drive in snow? Is it one of those "can't drive in snow' situations?

I love the look of convertible but a coupe or sedan with Xdrive might be more practical (or totally unnecessary).

Any thoughts?
Thanks!!
Ads by Google
Old 01-31-2013, 02:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggBrent View Post
I was checking out 2012 convertible coupe but only available in Rear Wheel Drive.

My MB coupe had performance tires and was completely useless in ANY snow.. like even a half inch I was skidding around the city.

I noticed the BMW had all season tires so wondering if anyone has experience with these kind of tires on and rear wheel drive in snow? Is it one of those "can't drive in snow' situations?

I love the look of convertible but a coupe or sedan with Xdrive might be more practical (or totally unnecessary).

It ain't Buffalo - you'll do just fine w/all seasons. Better all times o'year with a LSD - big diff!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
It ain't Buffalo - you'll do just fine w/all seasons. Better all times o'year with a LSD - big diff!
Sure, everyone needs to take snow driving advice from someone in California.

In order of driveability in snow:
AWD with snow tires
RWD with snow tires
AWD with all-seasons
RWD with all seasons

Not driveable in snow:
AWD or RWD with summer tires. Ever. Your MB is a case in point.

You need to assess what you have to do when it snows. If you need to go someplace when you need to go, regardless of the weather, and you expect to see multiple 4"+ snow storms, and you expect to be out there before the plows are, AWD with snow tires is a rational choice.

If you usually need to go, but live where snow storms tend to only be a few inches, or if you can hold off if it's incredibly nasty, RWD with snow tires is more than workable.

All-season tires are not really workable during a storm if you're on the road before it's plowed. You'll likely end up going very slow and may well be an obstacle to cars that are properly outfitted for the conditions. If you can wait until after the snow stops flying and the roads have been plowed, all-season tires are workable. You'll often hear "All seasons are just fine, just be careful." That's fine in dry snow. On sleet over ice or in accumulating freezing rain, they tend towards worthless (personal experience from this year in an early season storm with 4 month old Continental DWS A/S tires on a 335i xDrive).

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 01-31-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:50 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
If you get much snow where you live, dedicated snow tires would be a good idea. I grew up in NY, and always switched to snows during the winter.

But, realistically, you would probably do fine with all seasons.

Xdrive is not going to be of much use for the typical NJ driver, and in fact, is going to have a lot more downsides than upsides.

All that said, if you are going to be doing a lot of climbing up snowy hills, or stopping and starting under icy conditions, xdrive might be a worthwhile investment.

Personally, if I were you, I'd probably get the vert (because that seems to be what you really want), keep summer tires on during the warm months, and switch to winter tires when the cold came. Or, just get a really nice set of all seasons.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:03 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Need? no. Unles you are in remote country regions.

The rest depends on what you prefer.

I prefer a car that loves to dance over one that acceletates quicker on wet. RWD for me.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Xdrive all the way.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 01-31-2013, 06:19 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:

Any thoughts?
Thanks!!

No. It's unnecessary.

I live in Bergen County and have RWD and so long as you have snow tires there's no reason for XDrive here. Get the performance for 9 months, get snow tires for 3 months, done. We get 3 bad snow days here, no need for AWD.

BJ
Old 01-31-2013, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: 328i Vermillion Red
Thanks for input. Since I'm leasing does it make sense to buy snow tires if I'm getting the RWD convertible? Or are that suggestion only for when purchasing vehicle? (ps.. never leased before)
Old 01-31-2013, 07:09 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Thanks for input. Since I'm leasing does it make sense to buy snow tires if I'm getting the RWD convertible? Or are that suggestion only for when purchasing vehicle? (ps.. never leased before)

I lease all my vehicles. I went back-to-back on an E93 (see above) and an E90, so both cars shared the same snow tires, got 6 years out of 'em.

A good set of snows will set you back $700-$1200 but its worth it. Not to start the endless debate, but it's all about the snow tires. You need them even with XDrive, not like XDrive is some magic technology that can save you in a storm. It starts with the snow tires.

Also, if you don't get a second car that shares the same tire size after the lease is up, you can always move the tires on Craigslist and make a few bucks back.

Anyway, trust me on this one. I lived in the winter tundra of New Hampshire for 14 years and had RWD cars on snow tires in storms that would make you cringe, feet upon feet of snow, and the BMW's 50/50 weight balance and good snow tires make the car rock-solid in those conditions. We live in Northern NJ. Come on, maybe 5 days a year you really need them anyway. And, as I said in my first post, my E93 was RWD and my E90 XDrive both on the same tires (literally) and the difference in traction was only 10% or so. Really shocked me, thought the XDrive would make a ton of difference. It didn't. It was all about the snow tires.

Moved down here to NJ two years ago, just leased an F30, got RWD without hesitation, got great snow tires, no worries at all.

PM me if you need some advice on which tires to get and some dealers that have good prices.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 01-31-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:19 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to razzy530
Mein Auto: 2007 530i 6 Speed
Totally agreed with above poster

2007 E60 530i - Current
2002 E39 530i - RIP

BMWCCA MEMBER #397411
Old 02-01-2013, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

I lease all my vehicles. I went back-to-back on an E93 (see above) and an E90, so both cars shared the same snow tires, got 6 years out of 'em.

A good set of snows will set you back $700-$1200 but its worth it. Not to start the endless debate, but it's all about the snow tires. You need them even with XDrive, not like XDrive is some magic technology that can save you in a storm. It starts with the snow tires.

Also, if you don't get a second car that shares the same tire size after the lease is up, you can always move the tires on Craigslist and make a few bucks back.

Anyway, trust me on this one. I lived in the winter tundra of New Hampshire for 14 years and had RWD cars on snow tires in storms that would make you cringe, feet upon feet of snow, and the BMW's 50/50 weight balance and good snow tires make the car rock-solid in those conditions. We live in Northern NJ. Come on, maybe 5 days a year you really need them anyway. And, as I said in my first post, my E93 was RWD and my E90 XDrive both on the same tires (literally) and the difference in traction was only 10% or so. Really shocked me, thought the XDrive would make a ton of difference. It didn't. It was all about the snow tires.

Moved down here to NJ two years ago, just leased an F30, got RWD without hesitation, got great snow tires, no worries at all.

PM me if you need some advice on which tires to get and some dealers that have good prices.

BJ
Here's a question for you, would the snows from the E93 have fit over the brakes on a F30 335 RWD Sport Line? I have 225/45/17s from my E92 and am tempted to get RWD sport if I can reuse the same wheels/tires. Not sure they'll clear the brakes though.

Last edited by pony_trekker; 02-01-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:58 AM
2014 435M-Sport Coupe

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport Coupe
Lived in Jersey for a lot of years & drove to Wall St daily, 120 mile round trip, most of the time in a Big Block StingRay. Had good snows going back as far as when studs were still legal. Did very well & never required a tow.

2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT conv JB4/ISO
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 02-01-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
Here's a question for you, would the snows from the E93 have fit over the brakes on a F30 335 RWD Sport Line? I have 225/45/17s from my E92 and am tempted to get RWD sport if I can reuse the same wheels/tires. Not sure they'll clear the brakes though.
which rims?
the F30 has slightly larger tires, but 225/45/17 will work. stock is 225/50/17, so the e9x tires will be an inch smaller in diameter.

most rims that fit the e9x 335 will fit the F30 335. two that i have tried are the motegi MR118 and the sport edition a7, there is plenty of clearance on both.

the sensors for the 2010 and newer sorta work. they will kick back an error initially every drive, but the car can read them after a little driving. they do transmit data as i can read temp and pressure, and the error light goes away. the car does recognize them, an error is stored in the dme saying incompatible hardware.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 02-01-2013, 11:09 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
I have AWD with all-season and do alright. I still prefer to not drive. I think my 1996 nissan maxima with all seasons and front wheel handles better then the bmw (maybe the additional power?)

Anyhow, you get snow, you get ice, you get rain - go with AWD and be happy.

If you use summer tires then you will need winter tires too. If you take all seasons you should be fine. Obviously you will never be driving in two feet of snow, but you should be ok for most scenarios

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Someone just recently informed me all convertibles ship with the sport suspension and that implies summer performance tires. At least that's what my GF had on hers. If that's the case you're going to need a different set of tires no matter what. The question is do you go with A/S or dedicated snow tires.

Personally I don't see a need for dedicated snow tires, at least not in the Denver metro area. The conditions where they offer benefit over all-seasons exist a few days out of the year. Having lived in NY I know the winters can be colder and the snow sticks around longer. being in NJ your situation is likely to be more like NY than Denver.

And I'm going to be that guy that says all-seasons are fine if you drive carefully. Again the conditions where snow tires excel, icy roads and cold temperatures, exist a few days out of the year in most populated areas. The rest of the time the roads are clear even if the temperatures are cold.

Last edited by sunny5280; 02-01-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
I have AWD with all-season and do alright. I still prefer to not drive. I think my 1996 nissan maxima with all seasons and front wheel handles better then the bmw (maybe the additional power?)

Anyhow, you get snow, you get ice, you get rain - go with AWD and be happy.

If you use summer tires then you will need winter tires too. If you take all seasons you should be fine. Obviously you will never be driving in two feet of snow, but you should be ok for most scenarios
The main reason I disagree with you is that I don't think AWD will make the OP "happy." He seems to want a vert, so that going with Xdrive will be a compromise (and one, that IMO, is going to have fairly limited payoff).

Last winter, a bunch of my pals and I went up to the high Sierras in the dead of winter. We had several AWD vehicles with us (RAV4, CRV) as well as few good old fashioned 4WD vehicles (like a jeep, pathfinder, etc). It was comical how badly the AWD vehicles did on some of the hills we encountered (which were not really all that steep, but totally covered with snow).

Anyway, one thing I learned that weekend, is that AWD with the proper tires can be a huge asset under some circumstances.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
which rims?
Aftermarket tire rack 17s used on my E92 328xdrive coupe.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
Aftermarket tire rack 17s used on my E92 328xdrive coupe.
Should be ok, do you know which rim it was? Easy check is to see if tire rack has it listed for the f30.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Bimmer App
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 02-01-2013, 11:58 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
The main reason I disagree with you is that I don't think AWD will make the OP "happy." He seems to want a vert, so that going with Xdrive will be a compromise (and one, that IMO, is going to have fairly limited payoff).

Anyway, one thing I learned that weekend, is that AWD with the proper tires can be a huge asset under some circumstances.
Does vert not have x? I thought it did.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
Does vert not have x? I thought it did.
No, it does not. If it did my GF would be over it more than she's all over me There's rumor the F30 convertible will have AWD as an option.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
And I'm going to be that guy that says all-seasons are fine if you drive carefully. Again the conditions where snow tires excel, icy roads and cold temperatures, exist a few days out of the year in most populated areas. The rest of the time the roads are clear even if the temperatures are cold.
You don't get a lot of freezing rain in Denver, do you?

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 02-01-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
You don't get a lot of freezing rain in Denver, do you?
No, we do not. We had some last week but the major roads were fine within a few hours.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
No, we do not. We had some last week but the major roads were fine within a few hours.
So in that case, all-season would probably be fine.

For the OP, who lives in northern NJ, which does get freezing rain on a regular basis, a blithe "all-seasons are fine if you drive carefully" may not really be a prudent response.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
Should be ok, do you know which rim it was? Easy check is to see if tire rack has it listed for the f30.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Bimmer App
Sport Edition SE-14 which are NOT listed for the F30 335
Old 02-01-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
So in that case, all-season would probably be fine.

For the OP, who lives in northern NJ, which does get freezing rain on a regular basis, a blithe "all-seasons are fine if you drive carefully" may not really be a prudent response.
You got me! It's not like I wrote something to the effect of:

"Having lived in NY I know the winters can be colder and the snow sticks around longer. being in NJ your situation is likely to be more like NY than Denver."