Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-10-2013, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325xi
Help! drivers side window/mirror switches not working

I have a 2006 325xi and all of the drivers side window and mirror controls stopped working. I checked all the fuses, nothing's blown, the window switches work on all the other doors. The drivers side switches are lit so they have power but they just don't function at all.

I think this might have something to do with the folding mirrors. I pressed the button last night for the first time in over a year and the mirrors folded up just fine and when I tried to unfold them the next day is when all the switches stopped working. I manually put the mirrors back in place but that didn't help. I also noticed a burning smell coming from the drivers side mirror which I think is the mirror motor.

I don't care that much about the folding mirrors but I desperately need my window switches to work. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can reset everything so my window switches work? I don't have the money to fix the mirror (if that really is the problem) and I almost never use that feature anyway.
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Are you sure that you checked all the fuses involved? Sounds like a fuse, or possibly a relay issue.

Electric folding mirrors? Hmmm, I wonder if my car (2006 325i) has that? Where is the switch?
Old 02-10-2013, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BashedBarrique View Post
Are you sure that you checked all the fuses involved? Sounds like a fuse, or possibly a relay issue.

Electric folding mirrors? Hmmm, I wonder if my car (2006 325i) has that? Where is the switch?
I checked all the fuses and the lights on the switches is on so it's getting power. The button for the mirrors is right above the window switches, it's a small, round black button and it's right next to the right/left mirror adjustment switch.

I read a few posts from people with the same issue and from what i've read the motor for the folding mirror will cause all the switches to not work if the mirror is out of place. the posts I read talked a lot about the problem but I couldn't find a solution that didn't involve replacing the bad motor in the mirror. Since I'm not 100% sure that is the problem I don't want to go spending money I don't have replacing the motor if it might not solve the problem.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
I looked and I don't have a switch there. No power folding mirrors for me.

Oh well, based on your issue it sounds like they may be more problem than they're worth. I have never felt it was any big deal to just fold them manually. Of course I have a two car garage with individual doors and it is kind of a tight squeeze going in and out. It might be nice to fold the mirrors in as I pull in.

Anyway, if you go to http://www.eastwood.com/ you can buy little tools to take off the door panels that are fairly inexpensive and easy to use.

Good luck!
Old 02-23-2013, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: 335
Post E92 drivers window/mirror consule not working

I had the same problem when i fitted a second hand drivers side mirror to my car. Windows or the mirror wouldn't work via drivers side switch and the mirror glass just dipped to the floor.
I checked all the fuses and had it into an auto electricians and he was stumped...anyway after spending a full day stripping out both mirrors i found that if i unplugged the mirror, turned the ignition off then on again the window switches and passenger side mirror could be used using the drivers side module again, so basically if it stops working then the drivers side mirror motor has stopped working and pulls the whole console down.

So if you're having this issue, remove the plastic mirror cover on the inside of the door, unplug the mirror, turn the ignition off and remove the key for 2 minutes, insert the key back in the ignition and everything should work again (except from the drivers side mirror you've just unplugged).
Old 02-23-2013, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: 335
Post E92 drivers window/mirror consule not working

I had the same problem when i fitted a second hand drivers side mirror to my car. Windows or the mirror wouldn't work via drivers side switch and the mirror glass just dipped to the floor.
I checked all the fuses and had it into an auto electricians and he was stumped...anyway after spending a full day stripping out both mirrors i found that if i unplugged the mirror, turned the ignition off then on again the window switches and passenger side mirror could be used using the drivers side module again, so basically if it stops working then the drivers side mirror motor has stopped working and pulls the whole console down.

So if you're having this issue, remove the plastic mirror cover on the inside of the door, unplug the mirror, turn the ignition off and remove the key for 2 minutes, insert the key back in the ignition and everything should work again (except from the drivers side mirror you've just unplugged).
Old 02-23-2013, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolph View Post

OP knows his mirror has a prob and system failed at that time.

Ain't rocket science! Disconnect bad part; see what happens. Assume OP's not familiar with circuit analysis so.....evidently not wanting to take it to BMW....shadetree maint.

OP might also want to check codes. If OP's unfamiliar with that, [click here]
Old 05-10-2013, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325 Xi
did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have the same problem, took it to my mechanic (thought is was the switch), he replaced it and still the same problem. he gave up after three days of working on it and couldn't figure out the problem
Old 06-30-2013, 11:09 PM

Mein Auto: E53 X5 4.4i
Door mirrors and passenger window switches, and lock

Hi,

I have this exact issue where the drivers door will not lock with the remote, the passenger windows dont work from the drivers control panel, and the drivers mirror would not fucntion from the control, but would just tilt down when reversing.
I tried what was said in this post, ie, disconnecting the drivers mirror wires, turning ignition off, and removing the key, but did not work for me, In fact something quite strange accured when I connected the drivers mirror back up. The drivers mirror now works again, but now the passenger one does not.
These E53 X5 electrics are a pain. Any other suggestions please ?
I have tried resetting error codes using INPA, but now luck. Nothing in the menus for windows or locks anyway.
I also replaced the lock actuator, thinking that might be the cause.
Fuses all good.

Getting closer to visiting the stealer, but would like to fix it myself if poss.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Don't waste your time checking codes! Take the mirror off and disconnect from the ciruit. Use a voltmeter to see if you are getting power to your contacts at the end of your harness when activating the mirror the way you want to. Should be an on/off type voltage. If yes your problem is within the switch (relay) itself (common Mercedes Benz issue I had) or a fuse/relay(usually under the switch). If not, it is within the mirror's motor/servo armature windings. Try to manually adjust the mirror to where it needs to be. Reinstall and activate. Does it work? No? New mirror. Yes but not smoothly, still a new mirror. It's basic + or - voltage and a motor. You can use a voltmeter. I always have.

Click HERE to get one!

Last edited by sptt144; 07-03-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:12 AM

Thanks, will check that out with a meter, although disconnecting the mirror wiring at the switch does the same thing as disconnecting it at the mirror if you trace the harness. Easier to disconnect from switch and measure the voltage on the pins as a first step, then maybe at mirror.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Re: Help! drivers side window/mirror switches not working

Whatever if easier. Same concept. Report back!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-23-2013, 02:03 AM

Question Drivers door switch block replaced, same problem

Guys,

Still got this same issue where the windows passenger door and rear doors windows cannot be controlled from the Drivers console. The drivers door window button works, but not in one shot mode, you have to push/pull the button for it too work, despite resetting the upper and lower stop points.
Also the drivers door lock still not working with the remote. Have to lock it manually (doing this does not lock the other doors).
The final issue I have is that the passenger door mirror will not operate from the drivers door. However, it does auto-tilt when reversing. The drivers door mirror can be controlled from the drivers door console.
I have just replaced the drivers door switch block/console, and it has still not fixed the problem. I have tested the wiring, and cannot find any loose connections or broken pins.
I tried disconnecting the mirror, but still does not resolve any of these issues.
When I run the INPA software, I see error code 162 "open circuit mirror heating bt or cable". If I clear the code, it returns after a while.
Any ideas PLEASE. running out of ideas ??
The only thing I was thinking was, could it be the Hall sensors in the drivers door Lock mech ? If they think the door is open, it might be shorting something else out somewhere, and bringing the console down.
Any ideas PLEASE. running out of ideas ??

Last edited by wilsonmc00; 08-23-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:20 AM

Fixed IT !!

Guys,

Finally found the problem today and fixed it. It was a broken wire in the rubber sheath between the Drivers door and the door pillar believe it or not. It was coloured red and blue, and I am guessing it is the P-Bus control wire to the Driver Door switch block.
I had checked in this area before but did not spot the broken wire. It was a clean break, so not quite sure how it happened. Maybe just stretched over time, as it did seem a bit short. Anyway, after stripping the whole door down and this connecter for about the millionth time, I am very pleased to have fixed it.
Basically I just soldered in a new short section of wire between the two broken ends, and covered with heat shrink. I had to however, cut the trianglar shaped hood off and re-glue it back on after to gain access to the broken wire.
After putting it all back together, all the windows, central locking and mirrors work as they should. I left the replacement drivers door switch module in place, as when I tested my old one, the rear passenger window would not operate from it.
Very pleased to have my car working properly again.
I have included some pics of the issue and repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4698 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1348
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	393282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4699 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1128
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	393283   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4700 (Medium).JPG
Views:	870
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	393284   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4701 (Medium).JPG
Views:	976
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	393285   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4702 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1009
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	393286  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4704 (Medium).JPG
Views:	834
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	393287   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4705 (Medium).JPG
Views:	819
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	393288   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4706 (Medium).JPG
Views:	729
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	393289   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4707 (Medium).JPG
Views:	696
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	393290  

Last edited by wilsonmc00; 08-24-2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 323i
Help! drivers side window/mirror switches not working

Great work!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app