Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-09-2013, 11:47 PM

Mein Auto: volvo
need advice

i am thinking of purchasing a used 2001 530i - it has 130k miles - i was told they just replaced the abs box and hoses - they are asking $7300 -

i was wondering since ive never owned a bmw if this is a worth while idea

any advice would be appreciated
Ads by Google
Old 02-10-2013, 05:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Do you like to work on cars? Do you have a lot of extra money? Does the car have a complete set of service records? Has the complete cooling system been replaced? Has the somplete suspension been replaced? If NO to these questions, consider walking away. $7300 for an 02 with 130K is no bargain. The ENTIRE cooling system needs to be replaced every 100K. This is $600 in parts alone. The entire suspension should be replaced at 100K. Otherwise you will not truly experience the Ultimate Driving Machine. That's $1,200 for parts for the front end only. These cars require diligent maintenance to operate at peak performance. However, at their peak, the driving experience is incomparable. The only way to afford to own one is to DIY unless you have deep pockets. Think long and hard before pulling the trigger.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: 07 750i, 02 540i Sport
With those miles, and being a 12 year old 2001 6 cylinder I wouldn't pay more than $5,500 if it's in really nice shape. For some reason or another most owners seem to think their car is worth way more than blue book value and they aren't. Kelly Blue Book for the one you are looking at ranges from $6,000 in perfect shape down to $4,700 in fair condition and there are ton's of them for sale everywhere you look.

I purchased two in the last 9 months both 2002 540i's. Paid $6,400 for one with 120k miles, and $5,000 for the other one with 175k miles, and then had to spend more than $1,000 each on parts alone (and lot's of labor) to fix all the usual problems.

These are really nice riding cars, but like Fudman said, they always seem to need something or another fixed on them, so you'd better get as good of a deal as you can and be prepared to sink a good chunk of money into it after the sale to get the usual bugs worked out.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Last edited by Ltmax; 02-10-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: '99 528iT
As a follow up to what Fudman posted above:

Do you have any additional service information other that what they told you was replaced?
Do they have records of what was replaced?

Is this a private party seller, or used car lot?

Get the VIN and call an independent BMW mechanic in your area. Give them the last seven digits of the VIN and ask them to run a service history check. This will give you some service history.

If you are serious about this car, get with the BMW mechanic and have a prepurchase inspection. It's the best first investment in any used car. Money well spend when you are negotiating the sale price of the car.

Even if the car has had all the major items replaced within the last 40K miles, I can attest that you will have other items that will fail.

Last, and very important. Drive several E39's. At this age and mileage, you will see a wide variety from poorly to very well maintained. Seat time is always benificial when purchasing any car.

Budget $1 to $2K per year to maintain, unless you DIY.

This car http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...Index=14&Log=0 might be worth looking at. It's not often that a seller includes photos of the underside of the car.

I realize it has had an accident, but when looking at a car with accident damage, the extent of damage can be verified by a body shop.

Good luck!

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.
Benjamin Franklin

2001 530iA STEEL BLUE/Sand - Sport/Premium/Cold Package
1999 528iA JET BLACK/Black - Sport/Premium/Heated Seats
1999 528iT CASHMERE BEIGE/Sand - Sport/Premium Package - 5 speed
1982 Fiat 2000 Spider - BLUE METALLIC/Blue
Old 02-10-2013, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltmax View Post
With those miles, and being a 12 year old 2001 6 cylinder I wouldn't pay more than $5,500 if it's in really nice shape. For some reason or another most owners seem to think their car is worth way more than blue book value and they aren't. Kelly Blue Book for the one you are looking at ranges from $6,000 in perfect shape down to $4,700 in fair condition and there are ton's of them for sale everywhere you look.

I purchased two in the last 9 months both 2002 540i's. Paid $6,400 for one with 120k miles, and $5,000 for the other one with 175k miles, and then had to spend more than $1,000 each on parts alone (and lot's of labor) to fix all the usual problems.

These are really nice riding cars, but like Fudman said, but they always seem to need something or another fixed on them, so you'd better get as good of a deal as you can and be prepared to sink a good chunk of money into it after the sale to get the usual bugs worked out.

Good luck let us know how it works out.
good post here

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App
Old 02-10-2013, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: volvo
Thank you all for the much needed advice
I believe I will do more research on this particular car
I will post an update if I decide to purchase or not

Thank you all