Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 02-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Karney5 Karney5 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Omaha, NE
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 123
Mein Auto: 2011 BMX 328Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrykur View Post
How are you guys getting such cheap rates at young ages. My wife an I are in our 50s and we pay much higher rates with no claims. What company are you guys with? We are with State Farm.

I have State Farm. Iam sure the location plays a big role... I live in Omaha, NE. Its at the intersection of Nowhere and Farmland.

My deductible is $500.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-10-2013, 07:12 PM
MP3_E46's Avatar
MP3_E46 MP3_E46 is offline
Code/wrench Monkey
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,040
Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo.karney View Post
What do you mean by full coverage? I have 100/300...
Exactly. I logged off now but it's 100/300/? or 100/500/? or something similar; ten years ago I knew that stuff. An umbrella takes it beyond that to whatever you need, but you have to pay to the 'full' coverage before buying an umbrella. 300K liability is laughably low in the US IMO. Two Veyrons reside within a few miles of us... try hitting one at just 30mph and see where 300K gets you in repairs
__________________


Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Karney5 Karney5 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Omaha, NE
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 123
Mein Auto: 2011 BMX 328Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3_E46 View Post
Exactly. I logged off now but it's 100/300/? or 100/500/? or something similar; ten years ago I knew that stuff. An umbrella takes it beyond that to whatever you need, but you have to pay to the 'full' coverage before buying an umbrella. 300K liability is laughably low in the US IMO. Two Veyrons reside within a few miles of us... try hitting one at just 30mph and see where 300K gets you in repairs

Before buying my BMW, I only noticed one in the part of town I live in. A 1999 X5.... Since buying it, I have seen (4) F30's, a E9X Station Wagon, multiple 5-series, an M3 and even a blue M5.... I buy a BMW then everybody with a BMW fetish comes running out of the woods.....
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Last Sight's Avatar
Last Sight Last Sight is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hunterdon County, NJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3_E46 View Post
Exactly. I logged off now but it's 100/300/? or 100/500/? or something similar; ten years ago I knew that stuff. An umbrella takes it beyond that to whatever you need, but you have to pay to the 'full' coverage before buying an umbrella. 300K liability is laughably low in the US IMO. Two Veyrons reside within a few miles of us... try hitting one at just 30mph and see where 300K gets you in repairs
$300k works for me now. I'll eventually get an umbrella with the house, car, etc... Umbrella is definitely worth the extra. Regardless, the $300k only has to do with bodily injury and you could opt for more in property damage.
__________________
BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-10-2013, 07:49 PM
SARAFIL's Avatar
SARAFIL SARAFIL is offline
I know a thing or two...
Location: Boston, MA
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,407
Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo.karney View Post
I didn't see one for E9X.... Saw the Z4... so I was curious what people are paying...
my point is that you guys don't understand how insurance pricing works. It is absolutely useless to compare rates with other people. There are hundreds of variables that go into insurance rates, it's not like buying a car where you can say "he paid $500 over invoice, so that's what I want to pay too!"...

your insurance rate is determined by your age, gender, credit score, marital status, education, occupation, driving record, ZIP code, etc. The car you drive actually plays a very small part of determining your rate, so it's pointless to compare you rate to what others pay.

The best thing you can do is to shop around for multiple quotes with multiple carriers for YOUR exact situation. There is nothing that you'll find out from others here that will help YOU get a better rate.
__________________
2011 BMW 335xi Sedan -- Black Sapphire / Black Leather
Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages, Navigation

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-10-2013, 11:26 PM
sptt144 sptt144 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, Ca.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 998
Mein Auto: 2009 335i
2009 335i....$130.00 a month with $250 deductible. So Cal. Progressive and they paid 12K for a rear end bumper repair (deemed not my fault), no questions asked at a certified BMW shop.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-11-2013, 01:44 AM
Zooks527's Avatar
Zooks527 Zooks527 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Mansfield, MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,719
Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
my point is that you guys don't understand how insurance pricing works. It is absolutely useless to compare rates with other people. There are hundreds of variables that go into insurance rates, it's not like buying a car where you can say "he paid $500 over invoice, so that's what I want to pay too!"...

your insurance rate is determined by your age, gender, credit score, marital status, education, occupation, driving record, ZIP code, etc. The car you drive actually plays a very small part of determining your rate, so it's pointless to compare you rate to what others pay.

The best thing you can do is to shop around for multiple quotes with multiple carriers for YOUR exact situation. There is nothing that you'll find out from others here that will help YOU get a better rate.
Now, you live in Massachusetts, so you should be aware that this isn't the case.

My 2009 335 costs 2/3 more to insure than my wife's 2011 Subaru, for identical coverage. It doesn't matter which of us us listed as the primary driver on which car, the rate difference remains, driven by the repair cost category of the individual cars. When I was looking at which car to buy back in 2009, I was getting differing cost quotes on a 335 vs a 328 as well.

Sure, your driving record is a major factor, but the car itself is a big driver of the cost.
__________________
2009 335i xDrive coupe, Jet Black, Black Leather, Grey Poplar, Steptronic, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, iPod/USB, HD radio, Parking Assist. Rear Fogs, Hardwire V1, ProFit G3.
ED May 12, 2009, Munich dropoff May 16, Redelivery June 22, 2009




Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 02-11-2013 at 04:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-11-2013, 10:03 AM
furby076's Avatar
furby076 furby076 is offline
IntarWeb Stalker
Location: 95 Feet Under
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,968
Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
I think something like 600-700 every six.
Center city Philly (high rate)
Clean record
No points
Full tort
Up to 500,000 on all the aspects (no insurance, under insurance, medical, etc)
I get up to 50,000 in wage losses due to medical incapacity

The rate includes the discount for having homeowners as well as personal items insurance (camera equipment).

If you want to reduce your insurance, I highly recommend you get renters insurance from your car company. A lot of the times the discount is so much that you will pay LESS and get that additional insurance. For example...You typically get 10% discount on car insurance and home owners/renters insurance if you have both. If your car insurance is $2,800/year...that is $280 savings. A low-end renters insurance should cost you about $150-200/year. Now you get a 10% savings on that ($15-20).

Your original = 2800
Car insurance 2800
----
Your new = 2,655
Car insurance $2,520
Renters 135

So you will have more insurance, and overall pay LESS. It's a no-brainer.

Call your insurance company to find out more details.
__________________
"Booberry" -ED 2013 335xi | B45 | ZMM | ZDA |Heated Seats | HK |EBII
My Drive Style

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Last Sight's Avatar
Last Sight Last Sight is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hunterdon County, NJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
Center city Philly (high rate)
Furby, you're out of Philly? I graduated from Drexel last Spring.
__________________
BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-11-2013, 10:58 AM
drunkryan drunkryan is offline
Bimmer Nab
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: BMW 328i
I am a licensed insurance agent with Liberty Mutual, no garrunty that I can save you but inbox message me if you need a quote.


:::EDIT:::


I have Esruance, pay 1550 a year with 2 vehicles.
__________________
--




Last edited by drunkryan; 02-11-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-11-2013, 11:23 AM
furby076's Avatar
furby076 furby076 is offline
IntarWeb Stalker
Location: 95 Feet Under
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,968
Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcgrew1788 View Post
Furby, you're out of Philly? I graduated from Drexel last Spring.
Live on South Street. Well, DID live on SOuth Street. Now live a few blocks south of there with the fiancee (aka the roomate).

What did you graduate with? They get you a job? Still in town?
__________________
"Booberry" -ED 2013 335xi | B45 | ZMM | ZDA |Heated Seats | HK |EBII
My Drive Style

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-11-2013, 11:48 AM
jburke4689 jburke4689 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ellicott City, MD
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 550
Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
That's true in most states, but actually due to restrictions in MA, your age has no impact on insurance premiums except for a mandatory discount for drivers 65+, but they do rate on years licensed... but that phases in fully by about 5-6 years. So you are essentially paying the same now as you would if you were 25 with the same car/coverages..
The end result in MA is everyone between 25 and 64 pays more to cover the younger and older crowds. Hmmm. Equality is awesome!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-11-2013, 11:50 AM
drunkryan drunkryan is offline
Bimmer Nab
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburke4689 View Post
The end result in MA is everyone between 25 and 64 pays more to cover the younger and older crowds. Hmmm. Equality is awesome!
MA also provides HUGE discounts for multi policy, you should always have all your stuff with one company there, i know we write renters on every auto we can because the discount is bigger than the cost of renters insurance.
__________________
--



Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Last Sight's Avatar
Last Sight Last Sight is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hunterdon County, NJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
Live on South Street. Well, DID live on SOuth Street. Now live a few blocks south of there with the fiancee (aka the roomate).

What did you graduate with? They get you a job? Still in town?
I used to live near the Art Museum. I graduated with my BS in Civil Engineering and MS in Engineering Management. They got me a job December before my graduation in June. I'm not in the city now but go down to Philly a lot since a lot of my friends are still there.
__________________
BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-11-2013, 12:01 PM
furby076's Avatar
furby076 furby076 is offline
IntarWeb Stalker
Location: 95 Feet Under
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,968
Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkryan View Post
I am a licensed insurance agent with Liberty Mutual, no garrunty that I can save you but inbox message me if you need a quote.

:::EDIT:::

I have Esruance, pay 1550 a year with 2 vehicles.
It's weird how it works. My ex-gf wanted to get insurance policy with Travelers (like I have). She wanted what I have. She has a clean record (like me), good credit score (slightly better than me), college degree (like me), salaried job (like me)...and they wanted 30% more for her than for me... Her car was a 2004 For explorer and mine a 2009 BMW. Go figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburke4689 View Post
The end result in MA is everyone between 25 and 64 pays more to cover the younger and older crowds. Hmmm. Equality is awesome!
Woman get cheaper than men

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkryan View Post
MA also provides HUGE discounts for multi policy, you should always have all your stuff with one company there, i know we write renters on every auto we can because the discount is bigger than the cost of renters insurance.
Agreed. Definitely get your home owners/renters and car insurance at same company for discounts. Also, if you have personal items (e.g., jewelry, personal liability, etc). getting married, or having domestic partner.

Adding my fiancee to my policy reduced my overall bill by $100/year. Go figure...adding someone reduced the bill. You insurance companies are whacked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcgrew1788 View Post
I used to live near the Art Museum. I graduated with my BS in Civil Engineering and MS in Engineering Management. They got me a job December before my graduation in June. I'm not in the city now but go down to Philly a lot since a lot of my friends are still there.
Art museum is great. I used to live in Rodin place. Rittenhouse is the place to hang at!
__________________
"Booberry" -ED 2013 335xi | B45 | ZMM | ZDA |Heated Seats | HK |EBII
My Drive Style

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-11-2013, 12:06 PM
drunkryan drunkryan is offline
Bimmer Nab
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: BMW 328i
Insurance is all risk eval. it is a lower risk to have you and your fiance than you listed as single because "statistically" you will drive safer having the reponsibility of some ones life in your passanger seat
__________________
--



Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Last Sight's Avatar
Last Sight Last Sight is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hunterdon County, NJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
Art museum is great. I used to live in Rodin place. Rittenhouse is the place to hang at!
Whenever I'm in the city next, I'll reach out.
__________________
BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Zooks527's Avatar
Zooks527 Zooks527 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Mansfield, MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,719
Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
Art museum is great. I used to live in Rodin place. Rittenhouse is the place to hang at!
Furby, I'm surprised at that grammar! Reminds me of a story.



An E93 with Texas plates pulls into the base parking lot during a Bimmerfest Mt. Washington climb. The driver gets out, walks up to one of the other drivers, and says, "Excuse me. Can y'all tell me where the road to the summit's at?"

The other driver looks at her and says, "You know, if you're going to drive in New England, you'll need to learn to not end a sentence with a preposition."

She looks at him again and remarks, "Fine. Can y'all tell me where the road to the summit's at, @$$hole?"
__________________
2009 335i xDrive coupe, Jet Black, Black Leather, Grey Poplar, Steptronic, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, iPod/USB, HD radio, Parking Assist. Rear Fogs, Hardwire V1, ProFit G3.
ED May 12, 2009, Munich dropoff May 16, Redelivery June 22, 2009




Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 02-11-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-11-2013, 01:08 PM
Ilovemycar Ilovemycar is offline
wooohooo
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,738
Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
I'm soon shopping for insurance again, both home and auto (it was the home rate increase that bothered me at first, but it actually the horrible CS that followed which is instigating the move). A couple of years ago, I moved to use the same company for both in order to get a multi policy discount, but less than 2 years later, I am paying more than before anyway, for whatever combination of reasons.

I'm considering removing collision only, if that is an option for me. I have the max ded on collision, and min on comp (the price difference here is negligible to me, whereas with collision it does affect rate quite a bit). I chose to have a decently large liability for auto, but only modest/medium for home. IIRC, I would have to max out both auto/home liability to be able to add an umbrella on top. To me it is overkill atm. I added uninsured motorist to my policy, as that was really quite cheap, was it $30, $40, I don't remember. I always forget to ask about windshield ins every time I call, I don't think I'll ever remember; if it's only about $5 like some people say, I'd probably add it.

I think I'm paying too much right now. I have a very extended connection to someone working at Farmer's, and I am waiting until the beginning of next month for some policy she is excited about, she says they haven't offered it in something like +17 yrs, I'll see what that's about.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-11-2013, 02:41 PM
daytrader daytrader is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: VA
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,157
Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
$241/($500 deductible) every 6, been w/ them for yrs, just crossed 48, still married, guess it all helps and of course I drive like an .

Last edited by daytrader; 02-11-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-11-2013, 03:02 PM
drunkryan drunkryan is offline
Bimmer Nab
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
I'm soon shopping for insurance again, both home and auto (it was the home rate increase that bothered me at first, but it actually the horrible CS that followed which is instigating the move). A couple of years ago, I moved to use the same company for both in order to get a multi policy discount, but less than 2 years later, I am paying more than before anyway, for whatever combination of reasons.

I'm considering removing collision only, if that is an option for me. I have the max ded on collision, and min on comp (the price difference here is negligible to me, whereas with collision it does affect rate quite a bit). I chose to have a decently large liability for auto, but only modest/medium for home. IIRC, I would have to max out both auto/home liability to be able to add an umbrella on top. To me it is overkill atm. I added uninsured motorist to my policy, as that was really quite cheap, was it $30, $40, I don't remember. I always forget to ask about windshield ins every time I call, I don't think I'll ever remember; if it's only about $5 like some people say, I'd probably add it.

I think I'm paying too much right now. I have a very extended connection to someone working at Farmer's, and I am waiting until the beginning of next month for some policy she is excited about, she says they haven't offered it in something like +17 yrs, I'll see what that's about.

you shouldn't need to max anything to get an umbrella 250/500 on auto liability and 300k on home liability would allow you to carry a 1-2million umbrella. (unless your company is a little backwards). Do you have EQ as well?
__________________
--



Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-11-2013, 05:34 PM
SARAFIL's Avatar
SARAFIL SARAFIL is offline
I know a thing or two...
Location: Boston, MA
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,407
Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post

Woman get cheaper than men
Not true! Gender is also a restricted variable in MA auto insurance. Men and women pay the same, all else equal.
__________________
2011 BMW 335xi Sedan -- Black Sapphire / Black Leather
Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages, Navigation

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-11-2013, 05:41 PM
SARAFIL's Avatar
SARAFIL SARAFIL is offline
I know a thing or two...
Location: Boston, MA
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,407
Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Now, you live in Massachusetts, so you should be aware that this isn't the case.

My 2009 335 costs 2/3 more to insure than my wife's 2011 Subaru, for identical coverage. It doesn't matter which of us us listed as the primary driver on which car, the rate difference remains, driven by the repair cost category of the individual cars. When I was looking at which car to buy back in 2009, I was getting differing cost quotes on a 335 vs a 328 as well.

Sure, your driving record is a major factor, but the car itself is a big driver of the cost.
(A) I don't live in MA. Used to but have not for over 2 years.

(B) This is my job. I know very well the impact that various variables have on insurance rates. Yes, all else equal, the car you insure will impact rates. Meaning you comparing rates for 2 cars will see a difference. But two different people comparing rates for similar cars will probably find a much bigger variation in rates than you would comparing different cars for yourself. Of course, a big caveat is that most states are "competitive" and allow insurance companies to use predictive variables in rating. MA has excessive regulations which restrict these, but that ends up creating an imperfect market with tons of subsidies. It's hard to use your experience in MA to give advice to people in a state with more of a free market approach to insurance. In MA there are something like 10 allowable driver price points because so few variables can be used, but in other states there are thousands of different price points based on combinations of variables like age, gender, marital status, education, occupation, credit, etc.
__________________
2011 BMW 335xi Sedan -- Black Sapphire / Black Leather
Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages, Navigation

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i

Last edited by SARAFIL; 02-11-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Nordic_Kat's Avatar
Nordic_Kat Nordic_Kat is offline
Omnia moderata ratione
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,274
Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Furby, I'm surprised at that grammar! Reminds me of a story.



An E93 with Texas plates pulls into the base parking lot during a Bimmerfest Mt. Washington climb. The driver gets out, walks up to one of the other drivers, and says, "Excuse me. Can y'all tell me where the road to the summit's at?"

The other driver looks at her and says, "You know, if you're going to drive in New England, you'll need to learn to not end a sentence with a preposition."

She looks at him again and remarks, "Fine. Can y'all tell me where the road to the summit's at, @$$hole?"
Thank God I do not (totally) resemble that remark!!
__________________
If your sport doesn't put blood, dirt or grease under your fingernails,
then it's just a game.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:33 PM
furby076's Avatar
furby076 furby076 is offline
IntarWeb Stalker
Location: 95 Feet Under
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,968
Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcgrew1788 View Post
Whenever I'm in the city next, I'll reach out.
Give me a buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Furby, I'm surprised at that grammar! Reminds me of a story.
Hata's gonna hate!
__________________
"Booberry" -ED 2013 335xi | B45 | ZMM | ZDA |Heated Seats | HK |EBII
My Drive Style

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms