Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-11-2013, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 3228xi/SW
Cool Track Day, recommended tire pressures

Hi,

I have recently gotten a 2011 M3 with 19inch wheels. I've just signed up for my first beginner track day event at Thunder Hill Raceway in Northern California.

Does anyone have recommendations to tire pressure adjustment for the increased temperatures from running on the track?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Hi Philip, welcome to Bimmerfest! You might want to post your question on the M subforum. Lots of denizens there use their M's as it was designed to be used.
However, not knowing what I'm talking about hasn't stopped me in the past so...
I track a 335 E92. I use a track rated tire and start with inflation around 32 on all four corners. Then I change it. I adjust according to wet or dry conditions, and track temperature, and post-run temp's. I also find that fine tuning of pressures will help on some turns at some tracks. Then I look at where the wear edge (the scuff edge) is on the sidewall in relation to the little triangles. It will tell me how much flex I have in the carcass, and therefore how much tread is staying on the ground.

Don't overthink tire pressures. Check them of course before each run, and when you come back in hot. They'll be much higher then. You'll have many more things to pay attention to when you're green which will go a lot further to you having a successful day. Look for posts and comments by others who have tracked their M's, but don't concentrate on the advanced stuff. You want to stay relaxed and learn good habits before you sweat the tech points. Ask specifically for novice advice and you are going to find some great people who have been where you are.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
Depends on the tire. I use Nitto NT-05s on my M3 at track days. I run at 32 cold (maybe 33 on the outside tires)

Ball-park 32psi on street tires which should be 35 day-to-day. They will go up to 38-40psi hot, although I don't measure immediately as I do an extended cool down (several slow laps of the lot without braking) to cool the brakes off before parking up.
Also available in Alpine White...
Old 02-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Ego writing cheques that

The M3 forum on this board is crap. Go to the track section of M3Post.com for much higher quality M3 track advice. A lot experience chimes in on a regular basis there, and it isn't a bumpy ride either.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Hey ///M, first, I was hoping you'd chime in with your experiences. Second, why do you have a photo of a 128 as your sig pic?
Old 02-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Ego writing cheques that

Also, if you are planning on a "track career" in your M3, invest in some 18" rims (APEX ARC-8s 18x10 ET25 are well loved as they are solid rims with the right offset) and tires. This give you more sidewall rubber to roll into than 19" rims.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Ego writing cheques that

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Hey ///M, first, I was hoping you'd chime in with your experiences. Second, why do you have a photo of a 128 as your sig pic?
I just did. WTF?
Old 02-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d
Start with the recommended street pressures and then don't be afraid to ask your instructor and other drivers at the event. A good instructor will ask you what pressures you have during orientation and will suggest changes as your skill level progresses. Have fun!