Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-11-2013, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i
automatic question

I just bought my 2001 330i it has 144k miles on it. Now I havent driven an automatic car in a while other than my mustang but it has a 4k stall and manual valve body, but my question is when im driving from a stop when I go to take off if I ease into it it kind of revs a little like a stall only to about 1500 then will take off. When its going thru the gears it acts like it has a pause in between shifts and when it goes to overdrive it seems like it slips because the rpms will go up a little then drop down as it goes to 5th. Like a stick when you push the clutch in before letting off the gas when you go to shift. I have not checked the fluid yet, I am assuming there is a dip stick under the hood and I check it with it idle in park?
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2013, 04:51 PM

Welcome to the club!
I bought my 2001 330i at 73k miles for $8k nine months ago. (invested about $3k on tires, brakes, antifreeze leak, gas cap, etc but it's at 100% now)
I've only driven automatic cars and I find that the shift from 1st to 5th on this 330i to be smooth and flawless. Not to mention the joy of "kick start" feature that's part of the accelerator pedal. I never felt the "revs a little like a stall only to about 1500" at any time, however. The engine and power train of my 330i is absolutely FLAWLESS! Let me know what I can do to prove/disprove whatever you are sensing in your identical 330i is/is_not the case in my 330i.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:06 PM

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=672506

I found a similar thread and in it is a recommendation:

Replace your VANOS seals. I have seen this on more than one occasion. They will restore the torque you lost and likely cure your issue. Only $60 if you are handy with a wrench.

Does it apply to you?
Old 02-11-2013, 05:51 PM

what is the kick start part of the pedal? Wik009 that thread is refering to a manual tran from what I read. Im not having a problem with the motor. the trans just feels like its low on fluid or is slipping a little.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 View Post
what is the kick start part of the pedal? Wik009 that thread is refering to a manual tran from what I read. Im not having a problem with the motor. the trans just feels like its low on fluid or is slipping a little.
Before you two get carried away with all kinds of theories, I suggest you both read the Sticky Thread at the top of the Forum page regarding auto trannies.

While you`re at it, read the Wiki too....it`ll answer a lot of your questions.

P.S.: Unfortunately, there is no dipstick for the trans.

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....

Last edited by Fast Bob; 02-11-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:34 PM

i read both of those but nothing I found really has anything to do with my question. All the info I got from the wiki is either dont change the fluid ever or change it every 50k miles and the specs. Im just woundering from people that actually have the 5 speed auto how it drives for them. My reverse still works I guess thats a plus
Old 02-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
i read both of those but nothing I found really has anything to do with my question. All the info I got from the wiki is either dont change the fluid ever or change it every 50k miles and the specs. Im just woundering from people that actually have the 5 speed auto how it drives for them. My reverse still works I guess thats a plus
As you may have surmised from the Sticky thread, BMW`s autos are a total crapshoot....some will go without a hiccup to 200,000 miles, while others start acting up at just over 100K....it`s just the luck of the draw. From all that I`ve seen, I would think that a simple drain & refill (then repeated shortly thereafter) is probably the best course of action. Others will probably kick their 2 cents in....hopefully, Alex (Starless) will see this and give his opinion. He`s had some interesting things happen with these trannies....

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 02-11-2013, 10:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325i
The 1st thing I would do is to have the auto box fluid flushed. Have a shop with a tranny fluid flush machine, not home remedy flush to do the work. The best $200 investment for your new Bimmer. Been there and done that I am still driving a auto box with 170K on it.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:53 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat007 View Post
The 1st thing I would do is to have the auto box fluid flushed. Have a shop with a tranny fluid flush machine, not home remedy flush to do the work. The best $200 investment for your new Bimmer. Been there and done that I am still driving a auto box with 170K on it.
*Wrong answer*....Power flush is often The Kiss Of Death on autoboxes....that technique has a bad reputation, especially on BMWs.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Mein Auto: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
I do mine kinda different. I drain, refill, disconnect the return line to tranny into a 1gall container and start up car and let the TQ dump fluid and then refill again...
Old 02-12-2013, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 01 325i automatikgetriebe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
I do mine kinda different. I drain, refill, disconnect the return line to tranny into a 1gall container and start up car and let the TQ dump fluid and then refill again...
I once did the method listed above and it is the quickest way to do a trans fluid change. I have also done the method that Bob suggests and it is the traditional tried and true method. Flushing the transmission is almost certain disaster for any auto transmission near or over 100,000 miles. As sensitive as BMW autos are, I wouldn't dare flush one.

I'd start with a transmission fluid change (should he do filter, too?) and see what results I got from that. I have heard about the Vanos issue causing a hesitation. I have an auto, but my car has not shown that problem (knocking on wood).
Old 02-12-2013, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyboy View Post
I once did the method listed above and it is the quickest way to do a trans fluid change. I have also done the method that Bob suggests and it is the traditional tried and true method. Flushing the transmission is almost certain disaster for any auto transmission near or over 100,000 miles. As sensitive as BMW autos are, I wouldn't dare flush one.

I'd start with a transmission fluid change (should he do filter, too?) and see what results I got from that. I have heard about the Vanos issue causing a hesitation. I have an auto, but my car has not shown that problem (knocking on wood).
For about 60 bucks i dont see why you wouldnt change the filter and pan gasket as well. At 113,000 miles my gasket had been leaking and i got to clean out the inside of the pan and magnet which were filthy. Dropping the pan also lets you get a couple extra quarts of the old fluid out.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Mein Auto: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyboy View Post

Yes change the filter as well...(Always change it...)
Old 02-13-2013, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
I did the flushed including the filter kit with 170K original miles on the car. I used Halvoline Max Life. I used 15 quarts to completely flushed out the system.

The car is now shifting like it was new and I can shift throughout all the gears even 0 degrees below without warming up.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:28 AM
The UltimatE46 Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2005 330Ci ZHP
I've flushed the auto '05 325Ci also at around 90,000-100,000 miles. Drove fine and had no problems since then.
The only definite reason anybody ever gave me for not flushing it was that it may have accumulated gunk and there might be leaks or holes that have been sealed up by it and flushing may bring them out.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:59 PM

I may just do a fluid and filter change. The main reason why Im considering is it seems like it takes a second for it to engage when I go to take off sometimes. It acts like im dumping the clutch in a manual if I try to give it too much gas
Old 02-13-2013, 05:32 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
I am assuming there is a dip stick under the hood and I check it with
Nevermind.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....