Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: Z3
Z3 keyless entry/alarm questions

Hi, I've done a lot of research on this and other forums, but am still a bit confused. I have a '97 Z3 that only had 1 key when I bought it, and it was the last key in the set, the cheap looking one with no keyless entry buttons. I'm not sure if my car has keyless entry, but there is a wire running into the mirror, so that should mean that it does right? Also I have the following module installed behind the glove-box:

Part # 61 35 8368173 Central Locking System Module. (ZV-Modul 12V)

I want to install a new keyless entry system and may as well get one with alarm, and so far am interested in the United Auto Security system. My questions are:

1) Does anyone know exactly what this module does? Obviously it controls the locks, but is it optional (for keyless entry for example) or standard?

2) Will a new keyless/alarm system replace the above unit, or would it be installed in addition to this? I can't see any other plugs behind the glovebox for an alarm, and have no sticker in my trunk to say that the car is pre-wired for security.

3) Does anyone know if the above unit is definitely keyless, or is keyless optional with this unit and is an add-on?

My main question though is if I can just unplug the Central Locking Unit and plug in an alarm, and I can't find any reference to this anywhere..

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 08-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 98 Z3 // 06 X5
It will be expensive to buy all the parts via BMW to do what you want and then you will be stuck with the square key fob etc.... better solution ...... look at thread and see the keys I got with the rather cheap system $300.00 or so.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...hlight=eod+guy
Old 08-23-2007, 05:44 PM

Hi EOD guy, I saw that thread actually and it makes me more interested in that alarm system by United Auto Security. For the new keys, did you transfer the BMW logo from one of your old keys to the new key? It looks like it fits pretty well and looks much better than the blue button the keys come with.

I can buy that whole system from United Auto Security with 2 remotes for cheaper than the BMW dealer here quoted me for one keyless remote key for my car, so it's definitely a better option for me.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: M3, Z3 2.3, 318is, 325i
Dude, you have us way confused....

82111469913 is the Z3 alarm system for 2.8s and 1.9s (don't know which you have). This is remote locking/unlocking and an alarm. The key is not involved. Later BMWs had a key that had a transmitter integrated under the roundel on the key. Not your Z3, not even later Z3s (until 02/2001).

You get 2 transmitter fobs and the module and a siren, and a cute blinking LED for your dash. The module is installed behind the glove compartment. I installed my own in about and hour - hard part is the removal and installation of the glove compartment.

There is no wiring to the mirror - there is no "clown nose" on the mirror.

Here is a picture of the module and the fob

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...29&hg=65&fg=95

Hope that helps.... EDO is probably right - going OEM is way too expensive today. But get something that plugs in (I think stellar has something, or they did).
Old 08-23-2007, 08:58 PM

I think my car might have just a keyless entry system that is in or plugs into the central locking system module, 61 35 8368173, and has the receiver in the mirror. My car is actually a 1.8L, the M43 engine. Let's say I bought the 82111469913, do you think that would replace the central locking system module and use the same plug from the car, or do you need both?
Old 08-24-2007, 03:52 AM

kossman,
The only way to tell for sure is to remove your glove box and look for the alarm module. Everyone assured me mine had one untill I actually looked and only found the plug and no module....... The keys that come from U..Auto have the BMW logo installed. It really was the easiest thing I have done to my car. If you haven't already done it, buy the glove box repair bar and do that fix while you have the glove box out. The keys are holding up very well.... I don't have a single complaint above the entire system
Old 08-24-2007, 04:49 AM
///M 'n it up!

Send a message via AIM to wildag
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 M Roadster
I purchased the United Auto Security alarm in January of '07. The UAS alarm is a huge improvement over the stock alarm.

However, one of the keys I recieved has already cracked so bad, its unusable. I'm not rough with them. I feel that the construction of the plastic around the key blade is terrible. The only thing holding the key blad into the base is a little lip of plastic. There is a screw that appears to hold the key blade, but if you disasemble the key you'll find that's not the case.

I've turned that key into just a FOB, and am using my second key. UAS will be getting a call if this second key does the same.

DreamingWell.com Web Services
Old 08-24-2007, 09:14 AM
BeamersRWayToEx$pe$ive

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW Z3 COUPE 2.8L
I am interested in purchasing that system from united auto security. But, I was hoping to buy a system that would do it all-including remote start. I see that their most expensive kit at $350 does everything but remote start. Any recomendations on a remote start system? Is remote start even part of the same system? Would it have to be a separate thing anyway? I have an appointment with the dealer for something else, but I was going to ask them how much for the whole thing: keyless entry, remote start, and alarm. Now, I'm sure they will want a gajabillion dollars to do it. So, I'm liking this system with the flip out keys. Just missing the remote start. Any suggestions?
Old 08-24-2007, 09:20 AM
The Anti-Rice

Send a message via AIM to Mpire Send a message via MSN to Mpire Send a message via Yahoo to Mpire
Mein Auto: S54 M Coupe x2, M52 Z3
I would go with factory, just because its such an easy install...
1999 Estoril / Estoril Coupe

Sunroofs are for girls.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to dwm Send a message via Yahoo to dwm
Mein Auto: 2002 M roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpire View Post
For the older cars (and all M's) with the Alpine setup, all alarms are easy to install if you buy the connector shell (61.13.1.378.138) and tailed pin receptacles (61.13.1.376.204 x 12) to mate to the harness.

I wouldn't bother with remote start. You have to circumvent EWS to do it, and IMHO that's a step backward in security.

To get window rollup when arming the alarm, you either need an alarm that can pulse long enough or a timed relay or other logic inserted to make the lock+unlock pulse long enough.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:58 AM
///M 'n it up!

Quote:
The UAS alarm plugs in the same connector as the factory alarm, so its not any harder to do most of the wiring. Instead of a single connector, they give you individual wires with clips that easily attach into the factory connector.

With the UAS alarm, you do have to tap into the siren connector, because the siren they provide doesn't have a connector.

The only really anoying thing about the UAS alarm install is that they give you 6 feet of each wire, where half a foot would have sufficed. I suppose the other 5.5 feet of wire is for other applications (car models).

Last edited by wildag; 08-24-2007 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:06 PM
///M 'n it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITO View Post
... But, I was hoping to buy a system that would do it all-including remote start. ...
Remote start is great for little four cylinder honda's and other like engines, but I don't think anyone would suggest it for a 6 cylinder Z3. Idling doesn't allow the engine to circulate fluids properly, and therefore the engine suffers. It even tells you to "begin driving at a moderate pace immediately after starting the car" in your owners manual.

I'd skip the remote start because its not good for your engine, and you'd have to defeat the key transponder security system (don't know the technical name for it).

Old 08-24-2007, 12:37 PM
BeamersRWayToEx$pe$ive

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW Z3 COUPE 2.8L
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildag View Post
Remote start is great for little four cylinder honda's and other like engines, but I don't think anyone would suggest it for a 6 cylinder Z3. Idling doesn't allow the engine to circulate fluids properly, and therefore the engine suffers. It even tells you to "begin driving at a moderate pace immediately after starting the car" in your owners manual.

I'd skip the remote start because its not good for your engine, and you'd have to defeat the key transponder security system (don't know the technical name for it).
Interesting. Never heard that before. One of the main reasons I want remote start is because I live in Jersey and it gets cold as hell up here. Although, I hardly drive in the snow with my Z3, I drive all the time in the freezing cold weather. I'd like the car to be able to run a little and get the engine warm more than anything.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
Don't remote start your car... I live in Palm Springs and a third of the year we are above 100-degrees; which is quite hot. I have been tempted to install the remote start to have the cabin temperature drom from about 180-degrees to an acceptable 80 to 90 degrees. Your car will suffer if it sits idle.

I took out my globe box to install a new car alarm. If you send me your email, I can send you photos of the location and the harness. What type of alarm are you going to get? I am going to install a 2-way pager system.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:08 PM

Thanks Palmspringstgr, I'm definitely interested in the pics so I'll PM you with my e-mail address. I'm not interested in remote starting so I'm interested in the middle of the range United Auto Security alarm system at the moment, which retails for ~$230. This is mainly because of the keys really, but now I'm not so sure after the message saying that the key blades are not held well. I'll defnitely go aftermarket though, so if anyone recommends a system I'll defnitely look into it. UAS seems to be Ok though and is direct plug-in to a Z3 apparently so it should be easy to install.

Here is a link to the system I'll probably get:

http://www.unitedautosecurity.com/pr...66&main_catid=
Old 08-25-2007, 09:09 PM
The Anti-Rice

Send a message via AIM to Mpire Send a message via MSN to Mpire Send a message via Yahoo to Mpire
Turn on your seat heaters. No seat heaters? Install some.

Sunroofs are for girls.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:14 PM
The Anti-Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwm View Post
For the older cars (and all M's) with the Alpine setup, all alarms are easy to install if you buy the connector shell (61.13.1.378.138) and tailed pin receptacles (61.13.1.376.204 x 12) to mate to the harness.
CAUTION: This is a BIG mistake. Listening to DWM and his recommendations are how I ended up with enough spare BMW parts to almost build a car. I have more wire, relays, controllers, and switches than is healthy for someone with only one BMW. DWM is not sane, I say if you really want to get involved into making your connections, you will need to get a bunch of tools and stuff like that, and then you start collecting stuff. I think you just should buy something plug and play and do it and stop. It started out with a little plastic shoe box, then a red tool box, and now I have a full ball bearing rolling chest with an add on side chest to hold all my extra BMW crap. Its a slipperly slope. Just get the plug in play BMW part, it will be cheaper in the long run.

Sunroofs are for girls.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:32 PM

Quote:
CAUTION: This is a BIG mistake. Listening to DWM and his recommendations are how I ended up with enough spare BMW parts to almost build a car. I have more wire, relays, controllers, and switches than is healthy for someone with only one BMW. DWM is not sane, I say if you really want to get involved into making your connections, you will need to get a bunch of tools and stuff like that, and then you start collecting stuff. I think you just should buy something plug and play and do it and stop. It started out with a little plastic shoe box, then a red tool box, and now I have a full ball bearing rolling chest with an add on side chest to hold all my extra BMW crap. Its a slipperly slope. Just get the plug in play BMW part, it will be cheaper in the long run.
The problem is that some of those who say they're plug-and-play aren't really plug-and-play; they don't come with the mating connectors for the car harness. The Stellar, for example, which is in my car. They don't send the harness connector or tailed receptacles. I don't like cutting into a car harness if I can buy the connectors to avoid it. I have 2 sets for the alarm, though I'd be hard-pressed to find the first one (used it for the CompuStar 2WSS that later flaked out on me and got replaced by the Stellar VTX).

FWIW, the CompuStar alarms are really nice, but I'd avoid the spread-spectrum models and stick with the FM. I'd have one in my car if the local place that carried them hadn't gone out of business.
I think Dale (Dr. Burr) had one of the older FM models in his car. 2-way pager.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:47 PM

I took a picture of the modules in my car and pulled them out to see what they were. Here is what I have (attached?)

I had a look at what each of these modules are but to be honest I still don't know what some of them do exactly:

A) BMW Part# 61-35-8368173 : Central locking system module
B) BMW Part# 65-75-8368680 : CONTROL UNIT DWA WITHOUT CODE (Anti-theft control module)
C) BMW Part# 61-35-8366381 : Wiper module unit
D) BMW Part# 61-35-8369179 : EWS II Control Unit
(Superceded by part number 61358380369)
E) ??? not sure what this is, it had no numbers on it but had wires going into it.

From what I can gather, module B is actually an alarm system, or is it just to manage the immobilser etc? I can't find enough details on the parts above to say exactly what the function is. The EWS module contains the ECU for the engine management, but maybe other things as well? Would one of these modules contain keyless entry functions? I suppose it would be the DWA unit.

I still didn't see the 12 pin plug that is supposed to be there for alarm systems. The DWA unit has 3 plugs going into it, 2 with the lever-arm locking system, and 1 that is visible in the picture.

Does anyone know more about The DWA and EWS units, and whether a new alarm system would just replace the DWA unit?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010652s.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	119187  
Old 08-26-2007, 03:57 PM

EWS is driveaway protection. It is not the ECU.

DWA is alarm.

Do yourself a favor and download a copy of the ETM for your car.

http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm
Old 08-26-2007, 08:41 PM

Thanks Daniel, those manuals help a lot actually. As you say, the EWS module manages the immobiliser system and the DWA is an alarm system, and it's the DWA that would have keyless entry inputs not the EWS. My conclusion from this is that I would replace the DWA unit with an aftermarket system, the EWS and central locking system module are still required.
It looks like I might have to make the plug for a new alarm system though because the DWA module seems to have different input plugs, not the standard 12-pin plug that I've seen referenced on the forum.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:38 AM

Hard to see, but is there a plug taped up aout of the way on the lesft hand side of your picture, behind the B label you put in for ref? That's where the tech found mine, it's very hard to find unless you know where they taped it up at, but it appears there is a wire bundle tucked in there
Old 12-01-2007, 09:34 AM
A Clean Windshield

Mein Auto: 2000 Imola M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwm View Post

I wouldn't bother with remote start. You have to circumvent EWS to do it, and IMHO that's a step backward in security.

To get window rollup when arming the alarm, you either need an alarm that can pulse long enough or a timed relay or other logic inserted to make the lock+unlock pulse long enough.
I ordered this connector shell 61 13 1 378 138 and got an identical connector to the one on the car harness. what is the mate to this so I can make a harness to connect a non bmw alarm?

Dinan suspension, M rotors /Axxis pads
Eurosport Cam Kit 1, touch lane change
Zaino polish, Beach Sand
Garys mirror adapter, S54 Oil Cooler
seat tilt coupling nuts, spare tire

"life's to short to drink cheap beer"

Old 12-01-2007, 09:42 AM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob lindquist View Post
I ordered this connector shell 61 13 1 378 138 and got an identical connector to the one on the car harness. what is the mate to this so I can make a harness to connect a non bmw alarm?
138 is the F
136 is the M
Old 12-01-2007, 10:01 AM
A Clean Windshield

Mein Auto: 2000 Imola M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
138 is the F
136 is the M
136 is the male connector shell but uses the female pins right?

Dinan suspension, M rotors /Axxis pads
Eurosport Cam Kit 1, touch lane change
Zaino polish, Beach Sand
Garys mirror adapter, S54 Oil Cooler
seat tilt coupling nuts, spare tire

"life's to short to drink cheap beer"