Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Dinan Stage 1 and jump to Cobb: REVIEW

* LONG and lots of pics/vids (don't take the vids as scripture plenty of people could post better times than my vids )**

Ok so first let me start off by saying I love Dinan, and I think if you're a real novice (like me ) and you get freaky about warranty that is the ultimate best bet (especially if you have it done at a BMW dealer).

So with all the N54 issues that can crop up I wanted to dip my toe in the water, and honestly stage 1 is a dip. If your in-tuned with your car in the least you'll only really notice a major difference with Stage 1 between 60-120 where it shines and than it seems to go back to stock levels 120+ (not advising anyone to ever drive like that). The thing I noticed most and don't notice with this Cobb is that the revs don't want to climb unless you tell it. Dinan seems to always want to go above 2xRPM where Cobb (from my 40 miles.. 20 of which where slow break in miles) seems just fine and you don't feel like your forcing the car if you want to cruise.

You will notice some minor low end changes, but again what made me think its worth it is the warranty, the remapping that seems to provide more instantaneous power opposed to its stock form (you don't have to think in advance if someone is going to try and beat you the power is there), and that you're never the one playing around under the hood or with numbers (I do think you could get maybe not as much power but the minor changes with the PPK).

http://s1267.beta.photobucket.com/us...d3e43.mp4.html
The above is a quick on the fly attempt at a 0-60 run with Dinan Stage 1 to give you guys an idea (shell vpower 93 + some BMW fuel system cleaner from two days ago) since I never made it to the Dyno like I'd wanted

Moving onto Cobb. I think the biggest thing about non Dinan/BMW tunes is to respect the parts and by that I mean that little AP or that little JB4 if you move numbers around or are careless that 50k+ car becomes a coster.

I run a MBP:Retina and apparently Cobbs been trying to work out kinks with the USB3.0+ and I pretty much bricked the AP out of the box with the mac trying to update (like Cobb suggested), but thankfully I have plenty of Windows machines and they were able to correct the stuck updating screen the AP was displaying when plugged into the mac.

Update is crazy especially for nervous novices the car makes all kinds of noises and a few times I thought I broke it (I clicked ok on the Nav screen for those messages and it was right before a noise changed happened and I panicked a bit

The dash lights up when it starts (its very easy to know what map you want, so unless you're a super dummy you won't mess that up and select a map that wants race fuel and down pipes)

Also you get all kinds of messages on the nav (these freaked me out and I was googling on my phone and it is normal, and they promptly went away at the end)

I was going to time the flash install time but I was so worried making sure everything was perfect to not have a chance at bricking the ECU that I forgot and was well into installation when I realized I was still under 50% so right at the 50% mark I started a countdown on my iPhone.

9 minutes flat to get to 100% so the 5-10 minute I believe cobb says is off a bit at least for me, as I think it took about 20 minutes. Again it makes all kinds of noises that can be unsettling to newbies.

After getting it finished I let it sit for 15 minutes than went for a drive. At first (jumping back to the low RPM and the constant climbing Dinan wants) I was underwhelmed and was thinking maybe my dumb A* installed the stock map but once I hit the break in 20mile mark (and let it rest for 10 minutes while I went in a store) it was insane! This was just stage 1 non aggressive sport (I will run aggressive when I'm sure everything is running smooth) and it was night and day between Stage 1, this would have been amazing off stock (it still was amazing off Stage 1 Dinan).

My first attempt at WOT from stop on dry pavement my traction control lit up (this is with AWD), the car is a sleeper and climbs faster and harder than Dinan without feeling like its making you do it when you just want to cruise.

Here is a video a few hours later from stop I think the two videos I posted are night and day difference (same shell vpower 93), I actually had to slow it down off WOT around 80 as you can feel it starts pulling even harder.

http://s1267.beta.photobucket.com/us...5e835.mp4.html

I'd advise anyone to check out cobb even if you are a novice.

Side notes: IT WILL RUN HOTTER I was always 200-240 with Dinan now I'm at like 220 to start (I'm guessing I'd be at 250 or slightly above on bad summer days), also a minus for the Cobb is the AP unit itself for almost 900 bucks it really should be a tad better quality especially if you aren't just loading a map every now and then, I'm worried I might drop it one day and break it.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 02-11-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-11-2013, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
Wondering if you had BMW reflashed back to stock before you flashed with Cobb? Or did Cobb say it was OK to flash over the Dinan flash?

Nice job, car sounds great into WOT mode.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytrader View Post
Wondering if you had BMW reflashed back to stock before you flashed with Cobb? Or did Cobb say it was OK to flash over the Dinan flash?

Nice job, car sounds great into WOT mode.
No lol I was too lazy and would have dealt with the repercussions of such a decision if any propped up. The first cobb email put my mind at ease.

Cobb said if you want to make total sure have them flash stock *but they've had thousands of customers flash over dinan fine. I went with the thousands

Its butt stock except the cobb... I honestly think I'm well above 300whp even without aggressive, its pulling the way too hard. Its like with our 760 with the v12, I found out why its not a good idea to WOT from stop on a RWD car

Last edited by SuperTerp; 02-11-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
I stopwatched the Cobb 0-60 time and got a 5.45 to 5.61 second range... Due to vibration it's a little fuzzy as to when you actually hit 60 but I think I framed it fairly closely. The Dinan came in at 6.75 but it looks like you got a slight start before you nailed it (watch the speedo). I didn't start the timing until I heard the rev's so you got the rolling start free.

Last edited by DSXMachina; 02-11-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
I stopwatched the Cobb 0-60 time and got a 5.45 to 5.61 second range... Due to vibration it's a little fuzzy as to when you actually hit 60 but I think I framed it fairly closely. The Dinan came in at 6.75 but it looks like you got a slight start before you nailed it (watch the speedo). I didn't start the timing until I heard the rev's so you got the rolling start free.
Yeah both aren't great examples of runs (mostly just for on the fly show because they are vastly different imop). The Dinan I literally stopped traffic and tried to gun it for the cobb as I mentioned I'd already had traction control light up so I was somewhat hesitating (+ I'd like to break everything in better before I start really gunning it every now and then) especially while holding the iPhone, and with a turn coming up (around when I started backing off). I know I could have done a LOT better on both.

I should also mention in DS mode the Dinan feels even better maybe someone with more exp can provide better insight, but I would have thought D would feel faster than me doing it. I can't imagine what DS will be like with Cobb.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 02-11-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Yeah both aren't great examples of runs (mostly just for on the fly show because they are vastly different imop). The Dinan I literally stopped traffic and tried to gun it for the cobb as I mentioned I'd already had traction control light up so I was somewhat hesitating (+ I'd like to break everything in better before I start really gunning it every now and then) especially while holding the iPhone, and with a turn coming up (around when I started backing off). I know I could have done a LOT better on both.

I should also mention in DS mode the Dinan feels even better maybe someone with more exp can provide better insight, but I would have thought D would feel faster than me doing it. I can't imagine what DS will be like with Cobb.
If fan mags are getting 5.1 stock (some faster, some slower) then let's extrapolate a little. Let me guess that they could get 4.7 with your Dinan1 and if the ratio holds, they should get low 4's with the Cobb.
Anyone know real world? Cal?
Old 02-11-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
If fan mags are getting 5.1 stock (some faster, some slower) then let's extrapolate a little. Let me guess that they could get 4.7 with your Dinan1 and if the ratio holds, they should get low 4's with the Cobb.
I'd say that sounds about right.

I'm looking for a shoulder cam now. I think that would make a big difference in posting a really quality run for the Cobb. (my intake valves are getting blasted tomorrow so I'll post those shots up of what the car is working with as of this video)

Last edited by SuperTerp; 02-11-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:39 PM

As a reference, this is what Car & Driver posted for a Dinan S3 335i e92

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 10.8 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 25.8 sec
Street start, 560 mph: 5.1 sec
Standing -mile: 13.0 sec @ 111 mph

Dinan S1 HP 360 at 5700 rpm, Torque 373 lb-ft torque at 4300 rpm
Dinan S3 HP 398 at 5700 rpm, Torque 429 lb-ft torque at 4300 rpm

Last edited by daytrader; 02-12-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:40 PM
2014 435M-Sport Coupe

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport Coupe
Quote:
Dinan stage I is the rough equivalent to the stock 335is at about 320whp so whatever the magazine times are for the 335is should be close enough to stage 1 for use in a comparison. Not enough info on what he is doing with the COBB to take an accurate guess.

On the WAG side of guesswork if his COBB tune level is near what my JB4 level is, pretty basic only a FMIC, in addition to the tune I have been clocked at the track at 8.062 seconds to 90mph which would put 0-60 around 4 seconds. The really fast 11 second 1/4 mile JB4s are at 3 seconds to 60mph. Vbox picture is from a 11.1 second 129mph 135i FBO + meth
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vbox.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	361900  

2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT conv JB4/ISO
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
Old 02-11-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post

On the WAG side of guesswork if his COBB tune level is near what my JB4 level is, pretty basic only a FMIC, in addition to the tune I have been clocked at the track at 8.062 seconds to 90mph which would put 0-60 around 4 seconds. The really fast 11 second 1/4 mile JB4s are at 3 seconds to 60mph. Vbox picture is from a 11.1 second 129mph 135i FBO + meth
I'd say that's how it the cobb felt. Wish I had thought out my vids a little more
Old 02-11-2013, 10:29 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: Graphite & Silver E92/E60
My first venture into tune was JB4 and I loved it for 6 months. I then moved on to Cobb for a bit more convinence and few extra features for my use. I have had Cobb for now almost a 9 months. As far as performance goes they both are excellent and just put instant smile on your face. I have no experience with Dinan but have read the reviews posted of Dinan S3 335i and it seems a bit to expensive compared to what you can do with Cobb or JB4.

I am runing the Cobb 1 aggressive with 93 oct & throttle maping that is stock with Catback custom RennArt exhaust. It is just amazing the difference between stock vs the Cobb 1 agg 93 oct. The acceleration is night and day difference. From 60 mph the 130 mph comes up a lot more faster. To turn traction control off all the way and stab on gas pedal all the way is like trying to commit sucide.

I love my car with Cobb stg 1 agg tune. In stock form a N54 335i is real sweet but with a proper tune it can be a totaly different mental beast.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

Yo! You runnin' regular, or what? Ya'll be stylin' in my rear view....
Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 AM
2014 435M-Sport Coupe

Its hard to log a time from a vid unless the vid is displaying an internal time count on the screen. Too much variation between wall clock & vid clock. Lots of vibration could also be wheel hop which will kill the time as well as the rear end.

2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Its hard to log a time from a vid unless the vid is displaying an internal time count on the screen. Too much variation between wall clock & vid clock. Lots of vibration could also be wheel hop which will kill the time as well as the rear end.
lol then you factor in 1 handed driving, driver hesitation. Its simply not good

ALso I noticed instead of taking 12-20 miles to get to 200 I'm at 220 in like 5-8 miles

The way you can drive the Cobb on the low end I'm actually gaining MPGs compared to the Stage 1 and I still whipped someone worse than with the Dinan

Last edited by SuperTerp; 02-12-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Dinan stage I is the rough equivalent to the stock 335is at about 320whp so whatever the magazine times are for the 335is should be close enough to stage 1 for use in a comparison. Not enough info on what he is doing with the COBB to take an accurate guess.

Do you remember the 60's and 70's and how much money it took to get into the 11's and then be able to repeat it in a totally streetable car? I'm not even sure if the "totally streetable" part is even true.
There is zero doubt in my mind that performance is far cheaper and far more reliable now than it ever was. I mean, 11's is big block, Traction-Lok, Holly 850 double pumper, Hoosier pavement thumper, 101 octane Wednesday night grudge match territory. Any kid with the money gets there now.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Do you remember the 60's and 70's and how much money it took to get into the 11's and then be able to repeat it in a totally streetable car? I'm not even sure if the "totally streetable" part is even true.
There is zero doubt in my mind that performance is far cheaper and far more reliable now than it ever was. I mean, 11's is big block, Traction-Lok, Holly 850 double pumper, Hoosier pavement thumper, 101 octane Wednesday night grudge match territory. Any kid with the money gets there now.
lol I've been filling shopping carts with crap since talking to my new indy who can do just about anything and has a direct line to one of the dealers what a difference indy's make

If ESS only had a VT2-650 for the 335i I'd throw that on
Old 02-12-2013, 10:39 AM
2014 435M-Sport Coupe

Quote:
Yes, took a lot of cubes, very little weight or backdoor factory parts to get there.

2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
Old 02-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
lol I've been filling shopping carts with crap since talking to my new indy who can do just about anything and has a direct line to one of the dealers what a difference indy's make

If ESS only had a VT2-650 for the 335i I'd throw that on
Says the guy with way more money than good sense. Good sense says if you want all the power and performance of an M3 you should just buy the M3. Then there's the little voice that says, ya, but then I'd just have another M3 rather than the baddestass 335 around.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Says the guy with way more money than good sense. Good sense says if you want all the power and performance of an M3 you should just buy the M3. Then there's the little voice that says, ya, but then I'd just have another M3 rather than the baddestass 335 around.
lol I was actually at the dealer looking this past weekend I stepped off and thankfully they were sooo busy I couldn't even get near my CA (she had a family in her office).

I'm almost waiting for like the turbos to go out so I can justify such a purchase. I really want an e90 m3 just cause I think it'll be the last great beast, but I do love having the most recent version of a car.

Other problem is I get attached to cars its like my 335i is my hot wife who I love, but man maybe I could love that new chick (m3,m5, exc.), but I'm worried that new girl my screw me over especially when my hot wife hasn't.... YET

Last edited by SuperTerp; 02-12-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
...Other problem is I get attached to cars its like my 335i is my hot wife who I love, but man maybe I could love that new chick (m3,m5, exc.), but I'm worried that new girl my screw me over especially when my hot wife hasn't.... YET
OMG Dude, back away slowly from the power band before it's too late!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
OMG Dude, back away slowly from the power band before it's too late!
Its too late the cobb did it

I was trying to get a helix fmic here before friday for my indy, so time will slow me down a bit.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Its too late the cobb did it

I was trying to get a helix fmic here before friday for my indy, so time will slow me down a bit.
With summer coming the fmic will complete the package, should be a nice addition to your 335i. Are you planning on intake or exhaust?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
With summer coming the fmic will complete the package, should be a nice addition to your 335i. Are you planning on intake or exhaust?
Not sure... I was looking at Eisenmann Race exhaust, but again now where talking another few thousand.. FMIC is a really cheap upgrade. I would like to do HCOC, but I'll talk to my indy shop.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 02-12-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Not sure... I was looking at Eisenmann Race exhaust, but again now where talking another few thousand.. FMIC is a really cheap upgrade. I would like to do HCOC, but I'll talk to my indy shop.
If you want bang for the buck you are closer to needing an intake than an exhaust....just sayin'.
Talk to the guys at Cobb and I think they'll agree the stock exhaust is OK for your projected HP.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:19 PM

From what I gather, from here and over at other sites, exhausts do very little if anything to add appreciable performance unless you are adding DPs too. But some exhaust systems can sound very sexy, from a purring to a roaring!

As for intakes, if you run anything below 1.1 bars of boost , you will not add much either by changing out your stock intake and actually depending on intake type or manufacturer - you could make things worse...but it will add a turbo swishing sound that some like.

Last edited by daytrader; 02-12-2013 at 03:23 PM.