Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 328i
Are all X5's from South Carolina?

I'm a 5 series driver, so I'm just visiting this subforum.

A friend just bought a 2010 X5. I was telling him it was American made and he was amazed. I said I'd show him on the door jam sticker but we found it didn't say the location of origin. Of course he doesn't have the original Marony.

I looked at my 535i '011 and the door sticker doesn't show the city or country of origin either (I know it's Dingolfing, Germany as that's what the Marony sticker says).

So, aren't all X5's made in the Spartanburg?

Also, his car says 3.0L. I presume that's the unturbocharged straight 6. Correct?

Thanks!

2014 328i, Mineral Gray, Msport, Premium, Technology, Lighting, Driver Assistance.
Retired:
'11 F10 535i
'08 E60 535i
Ads by Google
Old 02-11-2013, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Yes for SC. All X5's worldwide originate in Spartanburg, SC
Old 02-11-2013, 06:26 PM
nothing today

Mein Auto: 08 X5 4.8i
"American made"? Not really. "American assembled"? Yes.

30% parts made in USA/Canada.

45% parts made in Germany (engine/transmission).
Old 02-11-2013, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: '14 328i
Good point. Assembled here. I used to have a Suburban-- 70% us parts, and an Accord, 85% us parts.

My friend was frankly disconcerted by his truck's american heritage. As I understand it, the output from SC is as good as from Germany. True?

2014 328i, Mineral Gray, Msport, Premium, Technology, Lighting, Driver Assistance.
Retired:
'11 F10 535i
'08 E60 535i
Old 02-11-2013, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: M3, 335xi, X5 4.8
I'm certainly hoping that every X3, 5 and 6 that leave SC for every dealership in the world are up to BMW standards.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:16 AM

Mein Auto: X6
Having had a few BMWs in my lifetime, I can say that the build quality of the X5 coming out of the USA is not as good as the German build cars. Even the 3 series from South Africa are better built. BUT most of my complaints extend to the poor interior materials.

1) The surround to the Sat Nav screen creaks
2) The hard plastic lower B pillar trims are a joke, I have seriously seen better on a Kia
3) Why can't BMW make a tailgate which doesn't rattle?

American built = poor build quality I'm afraid.

The much maligned Range Rover Sport is better built, I had two before the X5. It won't be long before I look at another, the cheap build quality of the X5 is rapidly turning me off BMW.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:06 AM

Mein Auto: BMW '12 X5 35i
Given the very high level of automation and modular componentry, it is hard to connect any of the items you mention to "inferior assembly." I would expect the same result in an X5 made in Germany.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
My mom just got a new x3. Seems no worse quality than my new f30. They are pretty similar cars underneath I would expect them to start building even non SUVs here.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcharnet View Post
Given the very high level of automation and modular componentry, it is hard to connect any of the items you mention to "inferior assembly." I would expect the same result in an X5 made in Germany.
Correct. It has more to do with design than build quality.
1998 Z3 2.8L retired
Old 02-12-2013, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Quote:
+1 All those issues stated are engineering/sourcing decisions, has nothing to do with "inferior american workforce"...

Its possible that sourcing and engineering is done in SC for the X's and perhaps you could argue that american's don't demand the quality that their german counterparts would, but that's another issue and one that hasn't been raised in this thread.

Jay
Old 02-12-2013, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: BMW '12 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
+1 All those issues stated are engineering/sourcing decisions, has nothing to do with "inferior american workforce"...

Its possible that sourcing and engineering is done in SC for the X's and perhaps you could argue that american's don't demand the quality that their german counterparts would, but that's another issue and one that hasn't been raised in this thread.

Jay
LOL. Who is more finicky anywhere than an American BMW owner???? Witness this forum: The apogee of finictitude.

Last edited by dcharnet; 02-12-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: '88 M3, '01 Z3, '06 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
I would expect them to start building even non SUVs here.
BMW SC formerly produced automobiles (excluding SAVs - Sport Activity Vehicle) E36 318i, E36/7 Z3 (Roadster), E36/8 (Z3 Coupe), E85 Z4 (Roadster), E86 Z4 (Coupe). BMW Spartanburg is currently exclusive for producing the SAVs; X3, X5, X6, & the upcoming X4. The plant is currently under expansion to produce the X4. It is doubtful BMW will produce non SAVs there again as a new factory is being built in Brazil.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bmw-bu...--finance.html

Edit: the X5 is assembled in Mexico as well.

BMW de Mexico currently builds the 3 series, 5 series, 7 series and the X5. BMW de Mexico also manufactures armored high security vehicles, manufactures parts for domestic and foreign markets, maintains a large repair and service facility and a school for international BMW personnel

Last edited by Sean; 02-12-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:03 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
During a recent BMW plant tour in Germany. I asked the tour guide why didn't they have the rodots do a particular assembly job (rear door attachment). He reply is that they needed to leave a sufficient number of jobs for the humans.

In this particular job, the door is delivered via an elevator to the assembly line. The worker operating a rig suspended for the ceiling attaches the rig to the door window with a suction cup. Using the rug he walks to the car with the door. He spins around the door which is aligned by the rig and he screws in the door with a power screw driver. He pushes a button and the rig returns to the original position for the next door. Between stations there are cameras which perform quality control checks via automated image recognition to see if the parts are aligned correctly. When a coupe or convertible comes through, the worker gets a break. Truly a job for a robot, but for a human, his/her particular nationality truly isn't important.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 02-12-2013, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: '88 M3, '01 Z3, '06 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Tom View Post
Correct. It has more to do with design than build quality.

As well as part suppliers.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
On the tour there last year they quoted 1,200 SAV's a day with 70% exported. They are the largest exporter of cars from the US. And it is an assembly plant, they don't manufacture anything.

Retired 2011 335d AW, M Sport, Premium and Convenience pkg, Heated Seats, Nav, HK, iPod/USB, smart phone. ED 8/31/10

Retired 2008 335i Coupe 6-speed Manual, Montego Blue, Sport, Premium, CW, Nav, PDC, AS, Shade, HD, Sat, Ipod/USB, Logic 7, CA
PCD 11/07

Retired 2004 545i Sapphire Black/Black 6-speed Manual, Sport.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Power View Post
On the tour there last year they quoted 1,200 SAV's a day with 70% exported. They are the largest exporter of cars from the US. And it is an assembly plant, they don't manufacture anything.
They may not "fabricate" anything, but they do "manufacture" complete cars from parts

When politicians and economists talk about adding manufacturing jobs in America, the Spartanburg plant and others like it are absolutely included in that discussion.

Jay
Old 02-12-2013, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
In my experience the German built cars are of overall higher build quality. Not when it comes to essentials as drive train and chassi but when it comes to fit and finish. During my expat years in Africa I had an E36 3 series. A factory tour in South Africa was included and when I asked the German foreman on the difference between a car built there and in Germany he just smiled and mumbled "no comments". That said, I abused that car to no end over 4 years, it went pedal to the metal all the time and was driven over rough terrain to game reserves and dive spots. It was towed out of mud holes and bottomed out at high speed countless times. I had water coming into the cabin etc. but it never failed. The interior however was rattling, squeaking and scraping like crazy. The leather was dry and crinkly like a rhino. The alignment on doors were so-so and the plastics felt cheap and knobs were not smooth. My E30s and my GF's E21 we had in Sweden were of much higher build quality. I haven't owned an X so I can't comment on the quality of them compared to German built cars.

Last edited by solstice; 02-12-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:50 AM
nothing today

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
In my experience the German built cars are of overall higher build quality. Not when it comes to essentials as drive train and chassi but when it comes to fit and finish. During my expat years in Africa I had an E36 3 series. A factory tour in South Africa was included and when I asked the German foreman on the difference between a car built there and in Germany he just smiled and mumbled "no comments". That said, I abused that car to no end over 4 years, it went pedal to the metal all the time and was driven over rough terrain to game reserves and dive spots. It was towed out of mud holes and bottomed out at high speed countless times. I had water coming into the cabin etc. but it never failed. The interior however was rattling, squeaking and scraping like crazy. The leather was dry and crinkly like a rhino. The alignment on doors were so-so and the plastics felt cheap and knobs were not smooth. My E30s and my GF's E21 we had in Sweden were of much higher build quality. I haven't owned an X so I can't comment on the quality of them compared to German built cars.
You're comparing apples to oranges. The 3-series that you drove, years ago, was for the local Africa market. Things have changed; they are now exported globally so I would expect the quality to be much better (and it is --- I have driven 3-series as loaners here).

Mercedes Benz and other cars are also made in South Africa for the Africa market. I don't know if they export them but their quality was never expected to be what one would find in Europe or the USA.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: F350 Diesel 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkhk View Post
Having had a few BMWs in my lifetime, I can say that the build quality of the X5 coming out of the USA is not as good as the German build cars. Even the 3 series from South Africa are better built. BUT most of my complaints extend to the poor interior materials.

1) The surround to the Sat Nav screen creaks
2) The hard plastic lower B pillar trims are a joke, I have seriously seen better on a Kia
3) Why can't BMW make a tailgate which doesn't rattle?

American built = poor build quality I'm afraid.

The much maligned Range Rover Sport is better built, I had two before the X5. It won't be long before I look at another, the cheap build quality of the X5 is rapidly turning me off BMW.
Not one thing mentioned here has anything to do "where" it was assembled..man u gotta stretch to slam American builds..
Old 02-12-2013, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
OP, check this out..

W = Germany
4 = USA
5 = USA

B = BMW Germany
U = BMW USA

2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian5 View Post
You're comparing apples to oranges. The 3-series that you drove, years ago, was for the local Africa market. Things have changed; they are now exported globally so I would expect the quality to be much better (and it is --- I have driven 3-series as loaners here).

Mercedes Benz and other cars are also made in South Africa for the Africa market. I don't know if they export them but their quality was never expected to be what one would find in Europe or the USA.
I'm sure you are mostly right but given the choice I'd rather have a German built BMW. The culture and status of a car builder even the lowest position in Germany is long and strong, it breads a quality awareness and pride among the builders that is very difficult if not nearly impossible to replicate. You can replace some of that with strong quality rules and assurance but not all of it. Japan is even better in this regard. It's mostly robotics today but they need maintenance and tuning as well.

Last edited by solstice; 02-12-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:02 PM
nothing today

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I'm sure you are mostly right but given the choice I'd rather have a German built BMW.<>
I would rather have a German one too. My 1996 328i was built there and it was trouble-free and solid for the 12 years that I had it.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
Toyotas/Lexus are built in America, and they are considered the highest build quality according to JDpower.

Last edited by RockChips; 02-12-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Haha this is so funny. Clearly you've (actually everyone in this thread) never seen the workings of an automotive plant other than a factory tour. Workforce is hugely important and nationality DOES make a difference despite what you guys want to believe...and it is for different reasons than you might think.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
Haha this is so funny. Clearly you've (actually everyone in this thread) never seen the workings of an automotive plant other than a factory tour. Workforce is hugely important and nationality DOES make a difference despite what you guys want to believe...and it is for different reasons than you might think.
You are right and wrong. The workforce does matter and I have worked in one.