Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 325Ci Conv
Help coolant..!!

So heres the deal.. Ive checked every single hose.. O-rings.. Checked my expansion tank. And my water pump. Everything is in top shape. Yet my coolant leaks a bit when topped off. Bled it 3 times and refilled.. Stops leaking and after three days.. Leaks again.. I dnt know wat to do.. Should i just change out everything?
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2013, 06:59 PM

Btw 03 325ci vert
Old 02-11-2013, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: 328i, 330ci, R1200C
NO, you are missing the leak...sometimes it is so small it will only leave dried up (usually white spots) where the coolant is leaking from. I had a WP that was leaking this way, I never found it while inspecting it, but when I pulled the pulley it had dry white stains on it. Pump seemed okay, but fragged a month later since it had a tiny leak at the bearing, apparently.
Also, there are two O-rings that seal the lines going to the tranny cooler, just under the radiator, check them for minor leaks.
I have also heard of ET's that would not show any sign of leakage until engine was hot- so look for dry white specks. Also, since I park in the garage, I can always smell when I have a coolant leak, finding it is sometimes the fun part.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:56 PM

Thats the first thing i did.. Check for white spots and near the tranny and pulley area.. Im checking every 5 to 10 min to check for leaks but so far nuthing
Old 02-11-2013, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 328i, 330ci, R1200C
How many miles are on the car?
How long have you had it?
Do you know the last time the WP, Thermostat, Expansion Tank, upper / lower rad hoses were changed?

http://www.oembimmerparts.com/produc...oolrefrkit.htm

If all else fails you may need to have a leak down test accomplished to ensure you do not have a tiny head gasket leak and are blowing it out the exhaust-rare, but possible.

Last edited by QAfred; 02-11-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBuster View Post
So heres the deal.. Ive checked every single hose.. O-rings.. Checked my expansion tank. And my water pump. Everything is in top shape. Yet my coolant leaks a bit when topped off. Bled it 3 times and refilled.. Stops leaking and after three days.. Leaks again.. I dnt know wat to do.. Should i just change out everything?
You need to have a pressure test done. You're probably checking for a leak when the car is cooler, which is understandable so you don't burn the **** out of yourself. However, a small leak may not actually leak until the coolant system is pressurized. Go to a local mechanic and have it done. It shouldn't cost more than $20 and it will provide definitive results.

Member No. 470379
Old 02-11-2013, 10:12 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Don't overlook the radiator leaking. Happens around the seal at the edges, metal to plastic.

How old is your rad?
Old 02-12-2013, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: 01 325i automatikgetriebe
I had a problem losing coolant and had a pressure test done. The expansion tank was the culprit, although I could not find a leak when examining it. Later on, I had to replace the bleeder screw, but you would have noticed dried white coolant on your top hose.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:29 AM

So i got the car checked. The bleeding screw on the expansion tank is the problem. Should i just replace the expansion tank? I dnt know when was the last time it was replaced. Or if it was ever replaced
Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 AM

And to top it off.. I went to the store after. Parked my car away from all the other cars and yet someone still managed to hit my car. Not a major hit but its really noticeable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1360691353.990391.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	361945  
Old 02-12-2013, 11:23 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Bad enough so I'd curse not catching them. Probably drunk.

Unless expansion tank looks close to new, best to replace. How's the rest of the cooling system?

I use the brass replacement bleeder screw to avoid running into any problems that the plastic oe causes. Looks nice too.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:21 PM

I cleaned up the engine and everything so it all looks new. Lol but i think im just going to replace it so that i know its good. Where did you get the brass bleed screw