Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' 328i Xdrive
Arrow What do you guys think about this lease situation?

So my 2011 BMW 328i X-drive lease is up this July. I am paying 497/mo plus tax and that was with $3400 out of pocket with $2500 cap cost (down payment) back in 2010. It was actually a very good deal considering the MSRP on the car was $46,600.

Any who, I am looking to get an F30 next and of course I could not help but to notice the current lease special BMW is running on the 328i X-drive 2013 MY. For those of you who are unaware of this current special they are offering $1000 Lease cash plus $750 loyalty credit along with a 61% residual brings the car to $369/mo + tax on a $42,850 3-series. (This is their advertised pricing on their website). $3800 out of pocket with $2750 of that going to the cap cost reduction (down payment).

Since the deal ends on February 28th, I contacted my dealer to see if I was to order the car on the 28th, with the car taking 4-6 weeks to arrive, that would bring it to April, then they said they will hold the car for 60 or 90 days (salesman was unsure) which would then bring me to roughly June. By then my lease would have 1 month left and I would get into the new F30. The whole point of doing this is 1.) So I can take advantage of the current lease special, and 2.) I am coming close to being over the mileage on my lease.

The dealer said they will waive the last 2 payments for me and get me into the car in May or June.

What do you guys think of this situation? Do you believe it is a smart move? Also, I would be entitled to any 'better' specials they run between now and then - which is nice so I don't have to worry about missing any deals.

The car I configured was for $45,250. Here are the details:

328i X-drive
Mineral white
Tan interior
Premium Package
Lighting Package
Heated seats
Burl Walnut trim

It came to $45,250 which is about $2,000 more than the deal for $369 covered.

How much more should I expect to pay on a lease with this extra $2000?

I know in down payment terms every $1000 is about $30 per month off your monthly payment. At first thought I thought it would add about $60 per month, but I do not think this hold true since of course I am only paying a percentage of the extra $2,000 (39% I believe with the residual being 61%.

Thoughts or comments here?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2013, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328 xdrive
You should find and download software that calculates lease payments. I believe there are few out there, someone can recomend which is better. You will need to input money factor, residual, msrp and agreed upon sales price of the car. Find out the invoice value of your car, you can use msn or edmunds, generally the agreed upon price of the car should be around invoice, maybe 500 to 1000 more, depending how much you like the dealer.
Any cash back incentives should reduce that amount, so if you want to pay 500 over the invoice and there is 2k of incentives you should offer the dealer 1,500 below invoice. It sounds low, but if you can negotiate they will take it. the software will calculate what your payment should be so you know the dealer is really giving you what you negotiated for.
Few things i would recomend, no downpayments (except MSD), if something happens to the car a week after you get, and its totaled, your downpayment is gone.
If you can, put down multiple security deposits, it will decrease money factor and lower the payment. You get them back at the end.
Generally, when it comes to leases, a 1,000 of MSRP will cost you around $11 to $13 in monthly payments.
My car has similar built to yours, i placed an order on 7/1 and picked it up on 8/29. Also, as long as you have an order placed BMW used to let you keep the car up to 10 days while you wait for free, and then would put you on a month to month with your current car and current payment

Last edited by PK2348; 02-11-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
I think your dealer is really reaching. I would be quite surprised if they can make a deal work as presented here.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 02-11-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I think your dealer is really reaching. I would be quite surprised if they can make a deal work as presented here.
In which way do you think they're stretching? Time wise or price wise? Because they didn't quote me yet on that $45,000 MSRP
Old 02-11-2013, 10:24 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edb5020 View Post
In which way do you think they're stretching? Time wise or price wise? Because they didn't quote me yet on that $45,000 MSRP
Time wise.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 02-11-2013, 10:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Check out the Ask A Dealer section, if possible work with one of the sponsors.

According to Jon, you should qualify for the "pull ahead" lease, where BMW will waive your last three monthly payments plus the first lease payment on the new car, if you lease before the end of February, plus all the other incentives.

But since you want to order one, things are likely complicated, I think the deal requires leasing from existing inventory. The Ask A Dealer section is the right place to ask.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Going from the e90, you may be less than thrilled with the f30 base suspension as it is softer. I recommend you drive an xdrive base car first. To cure it without getting a sport line I would add the adaptive suspension to your build.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, for sale 9/14

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt TUNED
Old 02-12-2013, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 13 335i M Sp, 13 SubBRZ
Never ever buy a payment. Negotiate the best price on the car and use the internet resources to see what others are paying. Then, work out the financing options, lease versus buy, and see what wil cost more or less over comparable terms. Comapre all the factors including upfront lease fees, higher sales taxes, money factor, interest rate on a loan, etc.

I just went thru this exercise on my purchase. Negotiated my price which was $500 over invoice. The negotiated my trade. And then had them give finance and lease options for 36 months. Over that period, the lease was going to cost $2K more than the purchase. I did the purchase.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Time wise.
Why do you believe they will not be able to stretch it time wise? I mean it does make sense to me, 4-6 weeks to come in will bring the date to April, then they said they'll hold it for 60-90 days and then waive my June and July payment so I would probably pick the car up in May...
Old 02-14-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettpa1 View Post
Never ever buy a payment. Negotiate the best price on the car and use the internet resources to see what others are paying. Then, work out the financing options, lease versus buy, and see what wil cost more or less over comparable terms. Comapre all the factors including upfront lease fees, higher sales taxes, money factor, interest rate on a loan, etc.

I just went thru this exercise on my purchase. Negotiated my price which was $500 over invoice. The negotiated my trade. And then had them give finance and lease options for 36 months. Over that period, the lease was going to cost $2K more than the purchase. I did the purchase.
I wonder the details of your comparison. One major attraction of lease is able to drive new every few years. A good comparison would assume you trade in your purchased car after 3 years and buy a new one.

From your other thread, you might see the benefit of a good lease already, all things fail, you only have to live with it for two more years

Last edited by dtc100; 02-14-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: 13 335i M Sp, 13 SubBRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
I wonder the details of your comparison. One major attraction of lease is able to drive new every few years. A good comparison would assume you trade in your purchased car after 3 years and buy a new one.

From your other thread, you might see the benefit of a good lease already, all things fail, you only have to live with it for two more years
I am a big fan of leases. They are highly misunderstood by most buyers.

At the end of 3 years, my loan payoff will be right where the car's trade value is. So I can basically walk at that point anyway. With this particular lease, the extra cost right off the bat is the acq fee that you do not pay with a finance. The money factor was also a little higher than my loan interest rate and in PA you pay 10% sales tax on a lease payment versus 6% on a buy. So all things added up, after 36 months, I calculated I would spend an extra $2K and be in the same place. And you either have a security dep to pay or a lease turn in fee at the end.

Now what I didn't know, since I never bought a BMW before, is how likely it is at lease end that you can negotiate the residual down. I did this with MB twice and it's an awesome way to do a lease. But some companies never do it and I wasn't sure about BMW. Also, many companies will put lease buyouts in place to get you out of your lease early which is nice if you know you want a new car.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettpa1 View Post
and in PA you pay 10% sales tax on a lease payment versus 6% on a buy.
That and some states charge sales tax on the whole sales price upfront on leases.

I can't believe we pay lower taxes in CA for a change Sales tax is only assessed on the payment.

Just want to be sure, you have the M sport, and you know for sure DHP would have cured the excess body roll of your M sport?

Good luck and let us know either way.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Vector Pilot

Mein Auto: 2014 Z4 28i
Can't argue with the comment posted. With that being said, here's my two cents, if you're doing a factory order and you're working with a high volume dealer, without much effort, they'll discount the car above invoice. If you want a deep-discount, work a deal off of their inventory.
Here's a couple links that'll help figure out a lease price, top one is an easy to use configurator and the other will give current BMW lease rates, residual value and base rates.

http://www.bmwconfig.com/BmwConfig/Config.aspx
http://www.ridewithg.com/index.php/2...february-2013/

Highest Regards
Old 02-14-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector Pilot View Post
Can't argue with the comment posted. With that being said, here's my two cents, if you're doing a factory order and you're working with a high volume dealer, without much effort, they'll discount the car above invoice. If you want a deep-discount, work a deal off of their inventory.
Here's a couple links that'll help figure out a lease price, top one is an easy to use configurator and the other will give current BMW lease rates, residual value and base rates.

http://www.bmwconfig.com/BmwConfig/Config.aspx
http://www.ridewithg.com/index.php/2...february-2013/

Highest Regards
Thank you for this information, I was actually using the BMW configurator earlier this weeks to see the invoice price on a few customizations. I know I should generally look for $500 above invoice but I have heard people getting deals BELOW invoice. At below invoice, wouldn't the dealer be losing money?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Vector Pilot

Quote:
Thank you for this information, I was actually using the BMW configurator earlier this weeks to see the invoice price on a few customizations. I know I should generally look for $500 above invoice but I have heard people getting deals BELOW invoice. At below invoice, wouldn't the dealer be losing money?
I use at least three configurators to cross reference a deal... and if BMW configurator is the same as the others I know I've have real numbers to work with.

I'll probably start a firestorm but dealers never sells below invoice! They always sell above their cost and in turn makes a profit. Regarding what others are saying I would have to see their deal before believing.
Highest Regards
Old 02-14-2013, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
People get below invoice after authorized rebates and incentives, i.e. BMW Loyalty credit, Holiday Cash, USAA, Eco Credit, etc.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Vector Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
People get below invoice after authorized rebates and incentives, i.e. BMW Loyalty credit, Holiday Cash, USAA, Eco Credit, etc.

Sorry about the confusion. Hope this will clear it up- I was referring to posters claiming to negotiate a deal below invoice without benefit of authorized rebates and incentives, i.e. BMW Loyalty credit, Holiday Cash, USAA, Eco Credit, etc. etc. etc
Highest Regards

Last edited by Vector Pilot; 02-14-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:46 PM
///M Sport

Mein Auto: 2013 328i EBII M Sport
Quote:
I use at least three configurators to cross reference a deal... and if BMW configurator is the same as the others I know I've have real numbers to work with.

I'll probably start a firestorm but dealers never sells below invoice! They always sell above their cost and in turn makes a profit. Regarding what others are saying I would have to see their deal before believing.
Highest Regards
Just paid a few hundred over invoice without any incentives. Dealer claims it was under invoice but not according to KBB.

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats
Old 02-15-2013, 05:41 AM
Vector Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Pipes View Post
Just paid a few hundred over invoice without any incentives. Dealer claims it was under invoice but not according to KBB.
You're entitled to believe you received a good deal and as long as you're satisfied then it's all good. But, the discussion is pointless unless the entire deal is spelled out. I'm not suggesting posting a list of numbers but the actual paper work used to exercise the transaction.
Highest Regards

Last edited by Vector Pilot; 02-15-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:31 AM
///M Sport

Quote:
You're entitled to believe you received a good deal and as long as you're satisfied then it's all good. But, the discussion is pointless unless the entire deal is spelled out. I'm not suggesting posting a list of numbers but the actual paper work used to exercise the transaction.
Highest Regards
I was mistaken. Upon recalculation the dealer was right, I paid under invoice. As equipped the MSRP on my car is $52,320. The invoice is $48, 115. I paid $47,750.

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats
Old 02-15-2013, 07:46 AM
Vector Pilot

Quote:
I was mistaken. Upon recalculation the dealer was right, I paid under invoice. As equipped the MSRP on my car is $52,320. The invoice is $48, 115. I paid $47,750.
Tell me more, first, what's name of your dealer because that's where I want go and and get my next BMW.
Highest Regards
Old 02-15-2013, 07:53 AM
///M Sport

Rusnak in Thousand Oaks CA. Good luck!

Old 02-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Vector Pilot

Quote:
Rusnak in Thousand Oaks CA. Good luck!
Pappy Pipes thanks for the reference, my job requires me to live and work in SoCal for at least six months out the year so I'll stop in and see what they can do.
Highest Regards
Old 02-15-2013, 09:30 AM

Regarding order vs. taking from the lot. It is not always true taking from the existing lot will get you the best possible deal.

If the manufacture specifically design the incentives to clear inventory, then yes. But for cars that are difficult to come by, ordering one may get you the best deal since the deal is certain, there is less overhead.

Although the above poster got his "below invoice" the dealer still made some profit, just not much. The rock bottom dealer cost is less than invoice, not to mention potential kick back for reach certain sales quota, or allocation advantage.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Vector Pilot

[QUOTE=dtc100;7382907]Regarding order vs. taking from the lot. It is not always true taking from the existing lot will get you the best possible deal.

If the manufacture specifically design the incentives to clear inventory, then yes. But for cars that are difficult to come by, ordering one may get you the best deal since the deal is certain, there is less overhead.

Although the above poster got his "below invoice" the dealer still made some profit, just not much. The rock bottom dealer cost is less than invoice, not to mention potential kick back for reach certain sales quota, or allocation advantage.[/QUOTE

Points well made. You seem to have a lot of experience buying and selling cars.
Highest Regards