Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer

Ask-A-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors. Get all of your buying/financing/leasing questions answered here!

Old 02-11-2013, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 740i
1 pay lease / owner choice discount

I understand that BMW pays the sales tax on a one-pay lease as a discount for paying the entire lease in advance. I live in TX which charges sales tax on full purchase price (cap cost) of the car so having BMW pay the sales tax for me is a nice discount.

But in TX if you trade-in a car at the time of purchase you are only charged sales tax on the difference between trade value and the cost of the new car. If I trade in a car equal in value to the purchase price of the new car there will be no sales tax owed. Will BMW still give me a discount on the one-pay lease equal to the value of the tax that "would have" been owed had I not made the trade-in?

Thanks for any info on the one-pay discount - and no need to advise not to pay lease up front. Those bases are covered.

Cheers!
Ads by Google
Old 02-13-2013, 04:29 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
I can tell you about Florida. If you trade in a car and then do a 1 pay lease you pay sales tax on the monthly lease payment. The money factor is reduced by .0008 but that reduction is subtracted from the non subsidized rate which was .0017 when I did mine so my money factor was .0009. The subsidized rate was .00125 so with max MSDs I could have got a lower MF. I believe that if you trade in a car and do a 1 pay lease there will be no reduction in tax owed, it will be just like you didn't trade in. I leased because I wanted the $2250 incentives from BMWFS. My trade was worth 37k so I could have just bought the M3 and only paid sales tax on the difference. That actually might have been the best idea. I figured with the 62% residual and a new M4 coupe coming out I might be able to buy my car at a big discount from the dealer at lease end.

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )
Old 02-14-2013, 08:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 535d
Where did you hear that BMW pays the tax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tguerino View Post
I understand that BMW pays the sales tax on a one-pay lease as a discount for paying the entire lease in advance. I live in TX which charges sales tax on full purchase price (cap cost) of the car so having BMW pay the sales tax for me is a nice discount.

But in TX if you trade-in a car at the time of purchase you are only charged sales tax on the difference between trade value and the cost of the new car. If I trade in a car equal in value to the purchase price of the new car there will be no sales tax owed. Will BMW still give me a discount on the one-pay lease equal to the value of the tax that "would have" been owed had I not made the trade-in?

Thanks for any info on the one-pay discount - and no need to advise not to pay lease up front. Those bases are covered.

Cheers!

Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa
Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Old 02-14-2013, 10:33 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 740i
From several dealers

Heard it from 2 separate dealers.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5D and 2014 M5
Can any of the dealers confirm that this is true?
Old 02-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs
Quote:
Originally Posted by tguerino View Post

Cheers!
I wish! This IS NOT the case in California. GF just did a 1 pay lease on a '13 X5 and I negotiated the deal so know for 100% certainty she's payed LA county taxes.
'11 Z4 - mojave over beige • 6 speed manual • Münich delivery

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles