Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 02-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut View Post
In-n-Out is excellent for what it is - fast food. We have place here in Austin that is just as good, P Terry's. Another local place, Huts, is fantastic.

A popular place is Hopdaddy's, but I thought it was barely edible. The rest of the family agreed. Too bad, it looked like it would be awesome
Uhhh no. They are not even fast! Wait time is 5-8 minutes for an order in S. Cal.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinSand View Post
How can one actually go about eating that? Seriously- fork and knife?
I was working with one British man who eat hamburger with fork and knife - it was a masterpiece work and amazing to watch!

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT
Old 02-15-2013, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 328is, 2001 750is
Sigh, so many good burgers out there. I'm 26 years old, and these places will take me a long time to visit them all! Road trip anyone?
Old 02-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsdad View Post
I've had many good burgers in my 52 years on this rock.

This I know for sure:

A)
In-and-Out is the most OVERRATED burger in the fricking world! Good gravy people!? Is it because it is in California?! The wait for the burger and the burger itself sucks! Get out more if you think In-and_Out is good.
I too was underwhelmed with In-and-Out. Could be people think the name is kinky.

My favorite burger of the mainstream commercial outlets is Carl's Jr. Bacon Guacamole Burger. Their offerings are generally pretty decadent. Only ate about 10 of them. Had to stop because they were giving me chest pains. (sig. line of note regarding this post)

Trivia note: my first name is Carl and I am a Jr. Sumbitch owes me a lot of money using my name like that.

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. anon

Last edited by cmac2012; 02-15-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: E70 X5/E60 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman619 View Post
Hodad's in Ocean Beach...San Diego, CA
Wow!!! Looks awesome, willing to ups one to me? Lol
Old 02-15-2013, 03:50 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
I too was underwhelmed with In-and-Out. Could be people think the name is kinky.

I like In N Out just fine, though one time I didn't feel so good after eating some for the first time in a very long time. I think I've only eaten Wendy's once, but that was probably the best tasting fast food burger I've had.

Symon's Yo burger was just awesome, you guys have to try it. I'm going to make it even more identical to the chef's recipe on my next try, going to do the crisped salami, and I think I even changed my mind about homemade catsup too.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
I was planning to do the same and grind some chuck on my Kitchen Aid attachment.

It took me about 15 minutes of intense search to give up. The KA meat grinder is GONE. All that is left are 2 screen attachments for the grinder.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:42 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
I was planning to do the same and grind some chuck on my Kitchen Aid attachment.

It took me about 15 minutes of intense search to give up. The KA meat grinder is GONE. All that is left are 2 screen attachments for the grinder.
Doh! I'm not sure what the screen attachment is. If you're getting the grinder, might as well get the sausage stuffer attachment for another $6 more I think it was(?), I made some the other day, very easy and fun. Pork shoulder, next time I'll do lamb merguez. Many supermarket butchers in my area don't carry the casings, but Whole Foods did, as lamb gut, will store for at least a week in cold water. Casing was like $3 for double digit feet I think.

I didn't use the KA for it, but I also made ricotta, mozza rolled with prosciutto, mozza with herbs de provence, string cheese (too grainy), and goat mozza (too bland, needs salt and other things), in only about 2 hours time. Next up is working with rising yeast for the first time to make a from scratch calzone I think.

Anyway I know you know more about cooking than I do, but just in case, it seems that the wtg with many things on the KA is using the coarse "plate", but two times (not sure what the proper name is, but this came to mind when you said "screen") inside the attachment; Symon runs his twice through as coarse, and the best sausage vid I found (now my first subscribed YT channel ever, FoodFarmerEarth, they also had the best ricotta vid I found) also used a KA with coarse setting twice, the second time mixed with all the spices, before finally using the SSA on it.

BTW, don't get the mill grinder for it, you'll probably burn the motor out, or wreck some gears or something. My KA was toiling at speed 10 when milling white and red wheatberries, it got really quite hot, and I started reading around on the internet... I don't think I've gone past speed 4 for anything else I've tried on it.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:43 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
Doh! I'm not sure what the screen attachment is.

Yes, the grinding "plate". I had the grinder for the KA, but it has just vanished. Poof. All I have left is the screen.

If you're getting the grinder, might as well get the sausage stuffer attachment for another $6 more I think it was(?), I made some the other day, very easy and fun. Pork shoulder, next time I'll do lamb merguez. Many supermarket butchers in my area don't carry the casings, but Whole Foods did, as lamb gut, will store for at least a week in cold water. Casing was like $3 for double digit feet I think.

Lamb gut? Ah, I have it in my bedroom night table drawer. Only that the package calls it Lambskin condoms.

I didn't use the KA for it, but I also made ricotta, mozza rolled with prosciutto, mozza with herbs de provence, string cheese (too grainy), and goat mozza (too bland, needs salt and other things), in only about 2 hours time. Next up is working with rising yeast for the first time to make a from scratch calzone I think.

Anyway I know you know more about cooking than I do, but just in case, it seems that the wtg with many things on the KA is using the coarse "plate", but two times (not sure what the proper name is, but this came to mind when you said "screen") inside the attachment; Symon runs his twice through as coarse, and the best sausage vid I found (now my first subscribed YT channel ever, FoodFarmerEarth, they also had the best ricotta vid I found) also used a KA with coarse setting twice, the second time mixed with all the spices, before finally using the SSA on it.

That's very impressive, dude!

BTW, don't get the mill grinder for it, you'll probably burn the motor out, or wreck some gears or something. My KA was toiling at speed 10 when milling white and red wheatberries, it got really quite hot, and I started reading around on the internet... I don't think I've gone past speed 4 for anything else I've tried on it.
I have the Ditting KR1203 that is said to also be spice grinder, etc. Not that ever going to try anything like that. For $450 for the burrs alone, this thing is going to see only coffee between its expensive teeth.

But I have the Vitamix blender for wheat, if I ever decide to grind something that hard.

Coarse screen is right. The fine screen for the KA is way too thin, and the blades are not sharp enough and tight enough. As a result, I got a lot of blood when I tried to grind fine. Yuck. Then I switched to coarse, but these holes are too wide. So you HAVE to grind twice. With the old manual lever operated grinder my grandparents had, and passed on to me, it had only one screen, and it worked perfectly fine. KA screwed it up, giving us one too small, and one too large. But anyway, it's gone, and I don't know how.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
The original Schuburger at Schuberg's in downtown Big Rapids, Michigan.

Best burger in the state, and it's not particularly close:

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Old 02-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Here's a new list:

Best hamburgers in the USA: Zagat's picks in 25 cities
Old 02-19-2013, 01:20 PM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Mein Auto: Duh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneArch View Post
I definitely agree with HopDoddy's
Old 02-19-2013, 02:38 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
And I am totally disagreeing with the NYC's Burger Joint. That place is SO overrated and hyped.

Last edited by MatWiz; 02-20-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 328i M-sport Coupe
Quote:
Check out the First one, The Vortex! That was my pick too.
PCD - December 16, 2009

Old 02-20-2013, 11:37 AM
AMV Roady

Mein Auto: F01
for the best burgers ... it's all about the meat

Just head down to the butcher shop and buy a 4lb beef tenderloin roast and have him/her grind it up. At home, set aside what you're going to use that night and divide up the remaining as needed and wrap to freeze. Make your patties 'loose' with a slight crater in the middle on one side so when the juices cause the patty to bloat as it cooks, it will be completely flat when done (makes it easier to balance everything you stack ). And don't forget the slice of Tillamook medium cheddar.

EDIT:

looks like this without the butter

Last edited by HGilmore; 02-20-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGilmore View Post
Just head down to the butcher shop and buy a 4lb beef tenderloin roast and have him/her grind it up. At home, set aside what you're going to use that night and divide up the remaining as needed and wrap to freeze. Make your patties 'loose' with a slight crater in the middle on one side so when the juices cause the patty to bloat as it cooks, it will be completely flat when done (makes it easier to balance everything you stack ). And don't forget the slice of Tillamook medium cheddar.

EDIT:

This has to be *the* silliest thing I've ever heard regarding beef cuts and their use.

Tenderloin doesn't have enough fat to have any flavor - and there is a very real possibility (probability?) that a tenderloin would yield a low-flavor and very dry burger - besides being a stupid waste of money, the end result will almost certainly be inferior from the proper cut of meat, which is a much less lean meat, or combination of meats.

But I did google tenderloin burgers - to see if people actually recommended this - and lo-and-behold - yep, they do - and they're considered stupid by ppl on the internetz as well... lol

Discussion on "tenderloin burgers":

http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2010...-a-debate.html

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 02-20-2013, 01:42 PM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Quote:

EDIT:

What a waste of tenderloin
Old 02-20-2013, 02:26 PM
AMV Roady

good point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3lissa View Post
What a waste of tenderloin
Well, you could buy a 6 lb roast and cut 2lbs off the tail for the ground beef, and use the remaining 4lb slab and do a chateaubriand pan-seared/sauted in garlic butter infused with fresh rosemary
Old 02-20-2013, 02:38 PM
AMV Roady

Uh.... you don't know your meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
This has to be *the* silliest thing I've ever heard regarding beef cuts and their use.

Tenderloin doesn't have enough fat to have any flavor - and there is a very real possibility (probability?) that a tenderloin would yield a low-flavor and very dry burger - besides being a stupid waste of money, the end result will almost certainly be inferior from the proper cut of meat, which is a much less lean meat, or combination of meats.

But I did google tenderloin burgers - to see if people actually recommended this - and lo-and-behold - yep, they do - and they're considered stupid by ppl on the internetz as well... lol

Discussion on "tenderloin burgers":

http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2010...-a-debate.html

Top Sirloin - (8 oz. raw) 306 calories, 50 grams protein, 11 grams fat
Flank - (8 oz. raw) 352 calories, 24 grams protein, 16 grams fat
Rib-Eye - (8 oz. raw) 592 calories, 40 grams protein, 48 grams fat
T-Bone - (8 oz. raw) 496 calories, 40 grams protein, 35 grams fat
Filet Mignon - (8 oz. raw) 592 calories, 40 grams protein, 48 grams fat

Anything else?

EDIT:

http://www.tryingfitness.com/the-fattest-cuts-of-beef/

Last edited by HGilmore; 02-20-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:40 PM
AMV Roady

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi1 View Post
You feeding your dogs tenderloin again?
You know of my dogs?

Old 02-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Registered Loser

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
In Harrisburg, PA, there aren't many choices (other than the national/regional chains), but the best LOCAL hamburger is Jackson House.
http://blog.pennlive.com/life/2012/1...isburg_ma.html
http://www.yelp.com/biz/jackson-house-harrisburg
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/160/9527...use-Harrisburg

I also like Five Guys when Jackson House isn't open. They're open only M-F for lunch and closed all state holidays.

"'Tis nothing good or bad, only thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare
Old 02-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Z4 35i Rider

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 35i
Smile

Timmy's Famous Texas Hot Weiner in Hanover PA . The chili sauce cannot be matched and tHe sweet onions are to kill for for. That just had to replace the original cast iron grill after 75 year of taste inducing service.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/Space Gray Metallic/7 Speed DCT/Premium,Cold Weather & Premium Sound Packages/Nav/Comfort Access/Ash Grain Interior & Dash Kit/AntiTheft/SportWheel/PDC/WindDeflector/Black Kansas Leather/Smoked Reflectors, Side Markers & 3rd Brake Light/Ferrari Red Brake Calipers/Clear Front Mask/Gloss Black Grill Inserts/6000K LED Lighting/De-Badged/Aluminum Pedal Set/Real Carbon Fiber BMW Door Sills/CF Wrapped Engine Compartment Roundels,F Lower Grills & Center Wheel Caps.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:51 PM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Quote:
Well, you could buy a 6 lb roast and cut 2lbs off the tail for the ground beef, and use the remaining 4lb slab and do a chateaubriand pan-seared/sauted in garlic butter infused with fresh rosemary
I could however I am not a huge tenderloin fan. After making Sous Vide rib eye on Monday evening I don't think I will eat tenderloin again for a long time. The RibEye cooked Sous Vide for 8 hours and was as tender as any beef tenderloin I've ever had
Old 02-20-2013, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: A car
I stand corrected on the fat content - it is still a huge waste of the better cut of beef to use it in burgers imo.

This fat content must be at the highest levels of trim though - typically you would NOT trim down excess fat from a lesser cut when using it for burgers. Tenderloin itself is one of the least used muscles - which is why it is so tender - it has nothing to do with the fat levels in the meat, which accounts for tenderness in lesser cuts when cooked low and slow.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/25...ef-tenderloin/

Quote:

Beef tenderloin, referred to as "eye filet" in Australia and New Zealand, or simply beef fillet, is cut from the tenderloin muscle. The tenderloin muscle is located alongside the inner part of the cattle's backbone, on the lower region of the spine. Because it is one of the least exercised muscles it is relatively lean, has very little fatty tissues and is greatly desired for being one of the tenderest cuts of beef. Beef tenderloin is high in protein and rich in many vitamins and minerals necessary for human health.
Basic Nutrient Values

According to The World's Healthiest Foods website, a 4 oz. portion of cooked beef tenderloin provides 240 calories, 32 g of protein, 11.4 g of fat, 4.3 g of saturated fat, 0 g of carbohydrates, 71.4 mg of sodium and 95 mg of cholesterol. Beef tenderloin is rich in many B vitamins as well as several major and trace minerals, such as iron.
Protein

A 4 oz. portion of cooked beef tenderloin meets approximately 64 percent of the recommended daily value, or DV, for protein, according to MayoClinic.com. Like all animal proteins, beef tenderloin is a "complete," high-quality protein food, providing all nine essential amino acids. Protein forms the structure of the body's cells and tissues, manufactures some hormones, enzymes and is needed to form all antibodies, thus protein is important for the proper function of the immune system.
B Vitamins

Beef tenderloin is rich in many B vitamins, including B2 or riboflavin, B3 or niacin and B6; meeting 20.5 to 24.5 of the DV for each per 4 oz. serving and vitamin B12, meeting 48 percent of the DV per 4 oz. serving. Vitamins B2 and B3 are important for energy metabolism and proper nervous system function. Vitamin B6, according to the Diet Channel, is used for metabolizing proteins and fats and producing red blood cells. Vitamin B12, in conjunction with folic acid, is used to synthesize red blood cells and DNA as well as facilitate proper function of the nervous system. The best food sources of vitamin B12 are animal proteins.
Minerals

Beef tenderloin is particularly rich in the major mineral phosphorus, meeting about 26 percent of the DV per 4 oz. serving and the trace minerals iron, selenium and zinc, meeting 22.5 percent of the DV for iron and 39 and 42 percent for selenium and zinc, respectively. According to the National Institutes of Health Office of Dietary Supplements, the iron in animal foods, such as red meat, is heme iron. This form of iron is better absorbed and utilized by the body than iron from plant foods.

Iron is an important component of proteins involved in oxygen transport and is needed for cellular growth. Zinc is used as a cofactor or helper, for many metabolic reactions in the body and, along with iron and selenium, helps promote immune system function.
Grass-fed Benefits

According to MayoClinic.com, grass-fed beef comes from cattle that eat only grass and foraged foods, such as unprocessed grains. This is opposed to beef and dairy cows that eat a traditional diet rich in processed grains, such as corn. This diet difference is thought to change the nutrient and fat content of the beef you consume. The benefits of grass-fed beef is that, compared to other types of beef, it has less total fat, higher levels of heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids as well as another type of fat, known as conjugated linoleic acid, that may reduce risk of heart disease and cancer.
Filet of beef is grossly over-rated imo.

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!

Last edited by wyb; 02-20-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:07 PM
AMV Roady

SousVide cooking is tasty?? uh oh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3lissa View Post
I could however I am not a huge tenderloin fan. After making Sous Vide rib eye on Monday evening I don't think I will eat tenderloin again for a long time. The RibEye cooked Sous Vide for 8 hours and was as tender as any beef tenderloin I've ever had
Hanna gave me a SousVide oven for Christmas but once I discovered it was cooking in pouches in water, I never took it out of the box.