Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-12-2013, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: 535ia
Oil Change: Use Dealer BMW synthetic oil or

my certified non dealer mechanic with 4 techs from Germany, uses Lubri-Moly synthetic (a German oil equivalent to the BMW oil)

Any one heard or used this German oil? Would it be safe to use?

1, another question: After 3 dealer oil changes, the dealer tech recommends to change plugs. The computer on board recognizes this to assume you put 15k a year for 3 years= 45k miles. I understand that, but my 535ia 2008 only has 16,788 miles. I declined a plug change ($225) Any thoughts on this?
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2013, 07:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 545i Sport
I see no reason to be replacing spark plugs at 16k miles.

My 2005 545i recommends at 100k.

If they didn't give you a very specific reason for needing to change the plugs at 16K, I stay far away from that shop going forward.

Regarding the oil, here's the choices from Lubri Moly that meet BMW LL-01 or LL-04:

You can read the full article here: http://www.europeancarweb.com/news/e...s/viewall.html

What Oil Filter did they use? Should be Hengst, Mahle or Mann. Not Korean or no-name.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
Liqui-Moly is a fine synthetic oil. BMW approvals mean very little - please bear in mind that they seek oils acceptable for their emissions targets and fuel economy targets, as well as longevity (low maintenance) targets. This does not mean optimal for your usage.

You obviously drive very little, so the longevity means less for you. I would avoid BMW 5w30 and use a 5w40 synthetic such as liqui moly or similar.

Spark plugs definitely don't need a change.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 535ia09 View Post
my certified non dealer mechanic with 4 techs from Germany, uses Lubri-Moly synthetic (a German oil equivalent to the BMW oil)

Any one heard or used this German oil? Would it be safe to use?

1, another question: After 3 dealer oil changes, the dealer tech recommends to change plugs. The computer on board recognizes this to assume you put 15k a year for 3 years= 45k miles. I understand that, but my 535ia 2008 only has 16,788 miles. I declined a plug change ($225) Any thoughts on this?
The key is not exactly what synthetic oil you use. There are many good name-brand oils on the market that will do the job. The key is changing it often enough to insure that there are plenty of additives left.

And the number of miles you drive is not as important as your driving style. Short trips where the engine does not warm up to operating temperatures allows water and unburned gas to collect and contaminate the oil. Stop and go commuting is also harder on the oil.

If you plan on keeping the car for many years the best rule is change your oil every 5K-6K miles, every 250 hours of operation or twice per year, whichever comes first. For you so far, twice per year would be the ticket. Sound excessive? What will be the cost of major engine work if your oil goes bad? Fresh oil is very cheap insurance.

Plugs - For a turbo, the recommended change interval is 45K-50K miles, although again like oil, short trips are a little harder on plugs as the carbon cannot be properly burned off the plug tip. If you do a lot of short trips I would change them at 40K.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Liqui-Moly is a fine synthetic oil. BMW approvals mean very little - please bear in mind that they seek oils acceptable for their emissions targets and fuel economy targets, as well as longevity (low maintenance) targets. This does not mean optimal for your usage.

You obviously drive very little, so the longevity means less for you. I would avoid BMW 5w30 and use a 5w40 synthetic such as liqui moly or similar.

Spark plugs definitely don't need a change.
I am curious as to why you are directing him to a 5W40 as opposed to a 5W30?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:11 AM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan52 View Post
The key is not exactly what synthetic oil you use. There are many good name-brand oils on the market that will do the job. The key is changing it often enough to insure that there are plenty of additives left.

And the number of miles you drive is not as important as your driving style. Short trips where the engine does not warm up to operating temperatures allows water and unburned gas to collect and contaminate the oil. Stop and go commuting is also harder on the oil.

If you plan on keeping the car for many years the best rule is change your oil every 5K-6K miles, every 250 hours of operation or twice per year, whichever comes first. For you so far, twice per year would be the ticket. Sound excessive? What will be the cost of major engine work if your oil goes bad? Fresh oil is very cheap insurance.

Plugs - For a turbo, the recommended change interval is 45K-50K miles, although again like oil, short trips are a little harder on plugs as the carbon cannot be properly burned off the plug tip. If you do a lot of short trips I would change them at 40K.
Good advice, I do both very short (but always allow the engine to warm up) and long trips. I change my oil at the MOST every 7k miles, it is just cheap insurance. No matter if it's a BMW or a Hyundai Excel - maintaining the car properly is ALWAYS cheaper than repairing, that's just especially true when you have a BMW.

On my previous car I also changed the transmission fluid and filter and diff oil before 75k miles. I don't believe in "lifetime" oil.

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 02-12-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjinca View Post
Good advice, I do both very short (but always allow the engine to warm up) and long trips. I change my oil at the MOST every 7k miles, it is just cheap insurance. No matter if it's a BMW or a Hyundai Excel - maintaining the car properly is ALWAYS cheaper than repairing, that's just especially true when you have a BMW.

On my previous car I also changed the transmission fluid and filter and diff oil before 75k miles. I don't believe in "lifetime" oil.
+1 - I focused on oil, but you are right - changing all fluids regularly are key in minimizing TCO.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I am curious as to why you are directing him to a 5W40 as opposed to a 5W30?
As with so many lubricant related things: Personal preference.

In a twin turbo engine that is always "on turbo", you get alot more heat build-up. I prefer the slightly greater strength of a 5w40 over a 5w30 of similar quality.

The primary benefit to 5w30 over 5w40, given the same additive packages and oil stock, is related to fuel economy. And in the real world, most 5w40s have better protective additive packages. (most, not all)

Hence why that's where I wound up
Old 02-12-2013, 02:45 PM

Meeting BMW standards for engine oil should be practised by all BMW repair shops.

Afterall, they are often performing warranty service on BMW vehicles.

I believe it's a sign of whether that shop is cutting other corners such as on the oil filter if they use non-approved BMW oil.

But more importantly, LL-01, LL-04 are stringent standards for engine oil.

That's why only a handful of US based oils can meet the standards.

I use Mobil 1 0w-40 European formula from Walmart and either Hengst or Mahle oil filters.

I change the oil myself at 5k miles, so I could use a cheaper oil, but at $6.50 quart vs $4.50 for non 0w-40 x 9 = $18 difference.

I can handle that. I also use a Dimple magnetic drain plug to pull minute metal particles out of the oil while it sits overnight and during the day.

Perhaps a bit of overkill, but better safe than sorry.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrumpy View Post
Meeting BMW standards for engine oil should be practised by all BMW repair shops.

I believe it's a sign of whether that shop is cutting other corners such as on the oil filter if they use non-approved BMW oil.

I use Mobil 1 0w-40 European formula from Walmart and either Hengst or Mahle oil filters.

I change the oil myself at 5k miles, so I could use a cheaper oil, but at $6.50 quart vs $4.50 for non 0w-40 x 9 = $18 difference.

I can handle that. I also use a Dimple magnetic drain plug to pull minute metal particles out of the oil while it sits overnight and during the day.

+1 - I run the same oil, Hengst filter, 5K changes and Dimple drain plug!
Great minds think alike.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
As with so many lubricant related things: Personal preference.

In a twin turbo engine that is always "on turbo", you get alot more heat build-up. I prefer the slightly greater strength of a 5w40 over a 5w30 of similar quality.

The primary benefit to 5w30 over 5w40, given the same additive packages and oil stock, is related to fuel economy. And in the real world, most 5w40s have better protective additive packages. (most, not all)

Hence why that's where I wound up
I would agree with that. By "strength" I guess you mean the oil's ability to maintain a hydrodynamic film on critical engine parts such as journal bearings while under high operating temperatures and high shear.

Engines with piston squirters or turbos that are run hard benefit from oils with higher HTHS values. You are right, the tradeoff in moving to a higher grade oil to get the HTHS protection is reduced mileage due to higher friction (like stirring water vs stirring honey using a spoon).

If 535ia09 regularly runs his engine hard I would agree with a 0W-40 or 5W-40 grade. If he is a fairly tame driver the 5W-30W would probably work better for him.

I run M1 0W-40 Euro in my 545i because I occasionally push the car very hard in the mountain roads in Arizona where the ambient temperatures can get fairly high, and of course the temperatures rarely get lower than 35F in Scottsdale, so pour point is not an issue for me in guaranteeing good lubrication during starting.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:50 AM

I would agree with you except that oils are dynamic. That 0w40 you are running is most likely a 0w30 within 1000 miles - so the bulk of the time spent running it is spent running it as a great 30 weight oil. That's not a bad thing - there's been alot of discussion online whether or not 0w40 was deliberately designed to quickly shear to a 0w30.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:

I'm sorry but this is an enormous misconception.

You think only a handful of US based oils meet those standards? So are you saying the majority failed those tests? Or, perhaps, a majority were never tested or designed for those standards, while other specific oils were designed and tested for a specific standard.

I will tell you that I have personally witnessed the extreme failure of a BMW LL-01 approved oil: My father in law's 09 Mini Cooper S, with 44k miles on it, following strict factory scheduled maintenance, not only had it's turbos fail AT 38k miles but the entire engine was sludged.

SLUDGED at 44k miles, running only a BMW approved oil. I have pictures from the oil change I gave him at that stage looking at the cams through the fill hole.

Those approvals are manufacturer designated approvals man and are only tested against certain oils, not all oils. They are focused on minimizing maintenance under warranty.

They are neither oils, nor intervals, I would recommend for a long-term owned car.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:

You think only a handful of US based oils meet those standards? So are you saying the majority failed those tests? Or, perhaps, a majority were never tested or designed for those standards, while other specific oils were designed and tested for a specific standard.

I will tell you that I have personally witnessed the extreme failure of a BMW LL-01 approved oil: My father in law's 09 Mini Cooper S, with 44k miles on it, following strict factory scheduled maintenance, not only had it's turbos fail AT 38k miles but the entire engine was sludged.

SLUDGED at 44k miles, running only a BMW approved oil. I have pictures from the oil change I gave him at that stage looking at the cams through the fill hole.

Those approvals are manufacturer designated approvals man and are only tested against certain oils, not all oils. They are focused on minimizing maintenance under warranty.

They are neither oils, nor intervals, I would recommend for a long-term owned car.
No, it's not a misconception. Check this out and use it to compare your oil of choice against the BMW standard: (It's produced by Lubrizol and not BMW)

http://origin-qps.onstreammedia.com/.../pc/index.html
Old 02-13-2013, 07:55 AM

Rotella T 5w40 exceeds the specifications listed for BMW LL-01 (and i blieve LL-04 as well) yet has neither of those approvals listed.

Similarly, it exceeds both Porsche specifications.

This is based upon that website (FYI
Yes it carries neither approval as it's marketed more as an HDEO and either gas or diesel engine oil. Just as background, as it's hard to find, this oil has an HTHS of 4.0 and a TBN of 10.3
Old 02-13-2013, 08:01 AM

Btw, I'm not knocking BMW's 5w30 which is made by Castrol (http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp...1_B1567_02.pdf)

However, it's been fairly extensively shown that it is NOT a preferred oil in the twin turbo engine due to extensive fuel dilution and the turbos themselves. At the very least it's primary strength, longevity, is severely hampered in these engines.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 530i
Quote:

I use M1 0W-40 also. It's a true Group IV synthetic, versus the hydro-cracked Group III dino oil that's so prevalent in the U.S. market. Don't know why anyone would use an oil that isn't tested and certified to meet LL-01 standards specified by BMW.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Rotella T 5w40 exceeds the specifications listed for BMW LL-01 (and i blieve LL-04 as well) yet has neither of those approvals listed.

Similarly, it exceeds both Porsche specifications.

This is based upon that website (FYI
Yes it carries neither approval as it's marketed more as an HDEO and either gas or diesel engine oil. Just as background, as it's hard to find, this oil has an HTHS of 4.0 and a TBN of 10.3
Looks like it meets the following: MB Approval 228.31; Volvo VDS-4 but not BMW.

Could be related to sulfur, ash, content etc but BMW is not listed.

Meeting BMW specifications does not necessarily mean that BMW has tested and approved it. I believe there is ony 4 LL-01 oils approved by BMW, but there are somewhere around 8 that meet the specifications.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: A Car
Oil threads always turn into a flame war. Hahahahaha
Personally, i would just use any BMW approved oil and do 5k to 7.5k miles oil change intervals. *Depending on your driving style/daily commute
Always use quality filters, since you have a 535i, it is either an N55 or N54 engine and both of them uses the same oil filter, the OEM oil filter for these two engines is the Mann 816x.

So basically all you need is:
*Mann 816x
*7QTS of good oil. Lubri Moly is a very good oil brand, it-s just not widely marketed as other brands such as M1.

Personally i use Mobil 1 0W-40 with a Mann 816x oil filter.

Last edited by UltimateDriving; 02-14-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:37 PM

M1 0w40 is one of the best engineered "everyday" oils available anywhere. I don't think it's a pure group IV anymore, but it's additive package is simply outstanding.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
M1 0w40 is one of the best engineered "everyday" oils available anywhere. I don't think it's a pure group IV anymore, but it's additive package is simply outstanding.
True but nowadays i try to stay away from posting about base stocks, additives etc. You will only look for trouble.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I would agree with you except that oils are dynamic. That 0w40 you are running is most likely a 0w30 within 1000 miles - so the bulk of the time spent running it is spent running it as a great 30 weight oil. That's not a bad thing - there's been alot of discussion online whether or not 0w40 was deliberately designed to quickly shear to a 0w30.
I couldn't disagree more. You are mixing up synthetic base stock with Dino base stock.

If it were a group II with a ton of VII in the add pack or a hydroprocessed group III one would expect it to see significant permanent shear down, but not a primarily group IV base stock like the Euro M1. All M1 0W-40 D5275 results point to very stable viscosity.

The M1 0W-40 is a light 40 grade to begin with, but also has proven to be a very stable oil with excellent HTHS results.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:

What a shame if you stood by (knowing better) and watched him follow the "factory maintenance schedule" with 15K oil changes and let him ruin his car.

You know that road miles tell so little about how many hours the engine has been operated and under what conditions (short trips, stop and go, dusty conditions, etc) that anyone who has basic oil knowledge knows that any claims by any oil manufacturer of safe across the board 15K drain intervals in all conditions are "snake oil" claims.

The internet is full of sludge stories that appear at 45K and 50K miles with all kinds of cars and all kinds of synthetic oil that has been misused.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
I couldn't disagree more. You are mixing up synthetic base stock with Dino base stock.

If it were a group II with a ton of VII in the add pack or a hydroprocessed group III one would expect it to see significant permanent shear down, but not a primarily group IV base stock like the Euro M1. All M1 0W-40 D5275 results point to very stable viscosity.

The M1 0W-40 is a light 40 grade to begin with, but also has proven to be a very stable oil with excellent HTHS results.
I can point you to about 100 oil analyses proving that 0w40 M1 shears down to a 30 grade viscosity within a relatively short period of time. It does it so reliably that it's been discussed whether or not it was designed to shear down a bit.

Remember that the viscosity spread isn't achieved by base stock - it's still achieved by VIIs, just less of them in group IV.

I agree about my father in law's Mini. And I know he doesn't warm it up properly. Nonetheless, if the interval and oil chosen by BMW were appropriate, it wouldn't be sludged.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:24 AM

Hahahaha 535ia09 will be crazy with so much info and different opinions.
Just get a quality oil and a OEM filter and you are DONE.
It can be Lubri Moly, Mobil 1, Shell Helix Ultra, Penzoil Ultra + Mann 816x Oil Filter and change it every 5k to 7.5k miles!