Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:11 PM
New York, New york

Mein Auto: 2004 745Li
I want one. straight up trade? lol
Old 07-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760Li, F250 V10, Ex 7.3L
new760Liowner and others had requested some better clips and I wanted to finish the tips with some nice chrome ones. Got it done, finally. here's a clip of

1] under the car, explaining the system, please feel free to use any of these ideas and ask me questions
2] the usual rev clips in the barn, but with the new tips. They did not screw up the sound, thank God.
3] some drive-bys and drive-aways on a road. This time, with a mic that has a good wind-muff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=ndJbvzdfnTE

Last edited by mws; 07-08-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: cant get movie URL to embed
Old 07-08-2013, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: 05' 760li,94' H1,08'Smart
That sound fantastic.. Great Job.. Rick
Old 10-03-2014, 05:28 PM

Continuing to edit and doodle with the V-12 sound out of the custom exhaust.

I saw this video on Jalopnik. This video is NOT my car

I don't have headers and am not going to make headers, but I noticed one big difference between their dual exhaust and mine: they had a Y going into a big cat and a Y going back out. My exhaust was two completely separate pipes from the engine out the back. I had been told that an X-pipe, at least, might help with reducing bass.

I decided to make a large tube chamber like a cat and try it myself. Yeah, I know it's not the most beautiful thing, but it's a demo to see if it works, at giving me the boosted high-end harmonic and less bass:

It does, here's a demo movie, very shaky, but the sound is pretty good:

I now need to make some longer on-the-road runs and maybe find a really long tunnel.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:39 PM

You nailed the sound. That's the original sound I thought you were going for. That's the sound of a healthy v12. I haven't done the exhaust mod on mine yet but if you don't mind throw up some specs so my fabricator knows what you did. Congrats

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-03-2014, 07:31 PM

Glad you liked it. I need to do some tweaking still, so when it's up in the air I'll make a movie and walk through it.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 745i sport
This exhaust is the closest Ive heard to the Ferrari shriek
Old 10-04-2014, 02:47 PM

Great link. First time I am hearing someone with a BMW V-12 exhaust besides mine, that does not sound like a vuvuzela. Same higher pitch as mine, which is good. But too much metallic buzz for me. Just my opinion. Maybe the little microphone on the camcorder is being overdriven and distorting. Sounds like straight pipes with an x-pipe in the middle. Too bad he does not tell us what it is so we can learn.

Last edited by mws; 10-04-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:19 PM

Listening to the X-chamber, wide open

I was curious to see what the straight pipes and X-chamber sounded like without my Flowmaster Super 10 mufflers. Turns out the X-chamber is doing a LOT to get the V-12 shriek to come out and the Flowmasters might be removing just a bit of that.

So, I took the mufflers off and made a recording of the X-chamber wide-open. I do this from time to time to remove parts from the equation and get a better idea what each component is really doing. Man it is LOUD. I then added a small H-tube to the straight pipes before the X-chamber, because that Japanese Mercedes had an H-pipe as well. Theirs is after the X-pipe. I only had room to pie mine in front of the X-pipe. In my case, it did basically nothing to the sound. The H-pipe version is what I have recorded here.

If you want a fire-breathing BMW V-12 sound that will wake the neighbors, put this on with a couple of straight dump-pipes and you have it.

if you want to hear how it sounds with the mufflers, it still sounds like my last post. One thing I can say is, yeah, with the mufflers, it's loud in the parking garage, but, I finally heard someone drive it away from me outside on the street, today and it got quiet very quickly as the car drove away, not obnoxious at all (that is also in the last part of the movie I posted in my past post). Also, in the car it is the quietest exhaust I have had on there, besides stock, since more bass has been removed by the "X-chamber", as I like to call it..

Rick in Yuma, once I put the exhaust mufflers back on, I made a movie showing the current layout. If your exhaust guy watches this, it should be easy to copy. All pipe is 2.5", except the large 2 foot tube I used for the X-chamber.

I would NOT recommend using any glass-packed perforated tube mufflers on this setup. It does not need them. I have a video of the stock resonators with the X-chamber and it is anemic.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:20 PM

Thanks, for remembering me. Been working on the car for 2 months. Changing everything I thought that needed to be done at 103k miles. Soon as we get the overhaul done, exhaust is next.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Rick in Yuma; 10-13-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:00 PM

The maintenance thing is a great plan.

If you do make an exhaust, remember to make some videos for us as well. What I was saying was to avoid the use of Magnaflow, Borla, Dyna Max, or other high-flow mufflers that have perforated tubes through them and cans filled with fiberglass, as their primary source of muffling. They do a great job of removing bright tones and midrange, which is what this exhaust is trying to create. So the two would cancel each other out. The other characteristic of those mufflers is: they cut mids and highs but leave the bass alone and it comes out loud and clear, in the form of the drone that everyone complains about. Our stock catalytic converters already do a good job of removing the raspy-bright super high end stuff, so you don't need glass-packed perf-tube mufflers.

My exhaust looks pretty crappy and is made from mild steel that rusts, but it's more of a sound-check. A demo. And I'm not done trying stuff. If I had worked in stainless, I'd be in for several hundred to a thousand dollars already, instead of just a few hundred. Mild steel mounting flanges are like $3-4, stainless is $15-20. PER flange. You might want to consider having him bend up a quick demo for you from galvanized pipe, to make sure you like it.....unless you are really sure you like what you hear. Then use sand-mandrel bends from a tubing supplier, like I did.

I like the Flowmaster Super 10s because they do a pretty good job of taking all frequencies and just making them quieter... but they do have that Flowmaster metal-box kinda sound. You can hear it as a sort of white-noise hiss as I drive in the parking garage and also hear it in the outside shot as well. Sometimes it works for what you want, sometimes not. I have a crazy idea for a muffler design I would like to make for myself, but I have no idea if it will work, or flow enough to not cut power in the upper RPM range. The great thing about the Super 10s is they flow like mad and I have all the torque and high end HP I want. And they are like $79 each, shipped, on Amazon.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:23 PM

MWS.. Here is a Lambo.. I think it's a V8, but crazy all the same. I'm not up to speed on Lambo's.. It's from a Facebook post.. Hope you all can open it. Do you know how to get flames to come out of the N73? :-)

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater
Old 10-20-2014, 02:30 PM

wow, that movie needs a "headphones beware" warning. that poor camera mic, overdriving super bad. hard to tell what it sounds like. All Gallardos are V-10, btw. The way to get flames out the back of our cars is to run a super short exhaust with straight pipes like they did...

This link is not a bad aftermarket lambo exhaust. There's an OK movie, but still even they have poor sound quality on their own videos. If you read their blurb they actually "try" to get the higher-pitched sound. I might use their curved X-pipe design sometime.

http://www.kline-innovation.com/exha...ardo/gallardo/
Old 10-20-2014, 02:42 PM

I know this is a V10 car, but this Porsche GT, along with the Lexus LFA , is my favorite exhaust sound. Our N73 cars are capable of getting a similar sound, even though they don't rev past 8000 RPM.

and this, is one of my least favorite: same car, but with straight pipes. He gains, maybe 6% more HP and ruins the sound, IMHO (watch starting at 2:30 in the video)

Last edited by mws; 10-20-2014 at 02:45 PM. Reason: editing time of video start