Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-12-2013, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
01 325i tire recommendation sought

so, we finally replaced daughter's 02 325i with 250k+ miles (rear ended by 2t runaway truck!) with a 2001 with about half that, but now need to buy tires.

two the costco has are michelin primacy mxm4 ad bridgestone potenza re970
in the 225/45r17 size. otd is under $850 4 of either of the above.

all season stickiness is important and i'd like to keep the otd cost to under $1k.

recommendations on what to buy and where would be appreciated.
thanks, and we are in norcal,
ferenc
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Read up on the Continental DWS, it`s a *very* highly-rated tire, and a couple hundred $ less than what you quoted. Go to the Tirerack`s website and read the reviews.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 02-12-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Read up on the Continental DWS, it`s a *very* highly-rated tire, and a couple hundred $ less than what you quoted. Go to the Tirerack`s website and read the reviews.
thanks, will do. the contis quote i just got was $706.80, compared to $814.76 for the michelins. the three local shops all seem to promote the michelins.
some also push the cooper-made tires for another $100/set less, but i got stuck with a pair of coopers on our minivan, while stuck one summer in a state where during our visit the number of 'non-amurican' cars was temporarily doubled.

will look for conti reviews on the automotive tire, but recall reading an extensive review of motorcycle tires where they compared favorably with the michelins.

ferenc
Old 02-12-2013, 10:25 PM

i had trouble finding the mxm4 in the charts, but then realized it was not in the same category as the conti and the bridgestone, being termed a grand touring, not a performance tire, even though it is rated AA for traction.

in the grand touring category, the comparison i found:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=138
was helpful.

time to do more research, thanks for the site,
ferenc
Old 02-13-2013, 07:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01 325i automatikgetriebe
You can buy as good if not better off ebay from Discount Tire (and get roadhazards) for at least $200.00 less with free delivery. I checked last night - I saw Contis DSW, Cooper Zeon, Sumitomo - all the UHP all season tires that made the top Consumer Reports' picks. They also have Michelin MXV4, Pilots and the Bridgestone 970s and 960s (some say a better tire.) Get them shipped to your house and get someone to put them on for $10-$15 bucks each.

I bought online from Discount for my SUV tires (Michelin ltx m/s2) and a set of Bridgestone 960s for my old Volvo. No sales tax either, which is nearly 10% in TN.

Last edited by vandyboy; 02-13-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:16 PM

that looks like an excellent resource which i will try next time - i found no 225-45/17 michelin primacy mx** in the discounttiredirect ebay store.
went with cotsco, $825 including road hazard, rotation, nitrogen.

stay tuned,
ferenc
Old 02-13-2013, 04:48 PM

My apologies. I neglected to read that you are running 17s - I had looked for 205-55-16s.

How do you like the Michelins so far?
Old 02-13-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyboy View Post
My apologies. I neglected to read that you are running 17s - I had looked for 205-55-16s.

How do you like the Michelins so far?
no problemo - i was a bit desperate to move on these as hers were at the limit, so i went with costco. almost went with the conti-s via america tire but my contact at conti factory was not available, and we decided michelin performance was adequate wrt conti-s ultra performance. fya, when at costco, the guy in line behind us wore an 'america tire' employee shirt!

regarding the new tires - my daughter likes them, and i'm just happy to have some tread. i must say, they did not sound QUIETER than the worn down michelin sport a/s plus that are being recycled. hopefully, i'll get a chance soon to try the new shoes myself :-)

the car is amazing, still, as i recall outpacing sport bikes on redwood road out of castro valley - the tires and suspenstion holding steady until all four wheels let go simultaneously - it was time to back off,
ferenc

Last edited by ferenc; 02-13-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:57 PM

Which Michelin tire did you put on? Not surprised that they are not quiet. We had two sets of Primacy MXV4s on our C230k and and they were not the most quiet tire I ever bought.

I will need tires next year and am still thinking about what to put on. Consumer Reports liked the Cooper Zeon, the Conti DWS and the Michelin Pilots. From a noise, braking, rolling resistance and wet traction standpoint, those tires seemed to have tested well. I liked the Bridgestone Potenza 960s - I think they had the best wet traction I have ever experienced.

Last edited by vandyboy; 02-15-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:47 PM

let me know what you decide - i recall doing a day's worth of bmw factory test rides on a course with professional drivers as coaches, and they instilled in us that the main key to auto handling is tires. the tires we ran that day lasted only that day, with flakes coming off - but man, did they stick!!!

costco carried the michelin primacy mxm4 and the potenza re970, but everyone around here thinks michelin walks on water - lots of opinions, but very little fact, i'm finding out. a guy from conti promissed me some factory test data when he returns from vacation, but i did not want to wait in my daughter's situation (those germans sure vacation a lot!). i'd still be curious how it compares - their motorcycle tire did not fare as well as the michelin pilot road 2, so i think they are honest, just stick to the facts. i found the tirerack comparison suspect.

on the touring tire, the cooper we had to get the while vacationing in montana a few years ago, was not a hit with my wife, as compared to the bridgestones or michelins, as an incidental point,
ferenc
Old 02-15-2013, 09:11 PM

I really like the Bridgestone Potenzas 960s and so do people on Tirerack. One thing that Consumer Reports had right - my mileage did go down at least 2mpg because of rolling resistance. In my experience, Michelin and Goodyears seem to have less rolling resistance.

Coopers get mixed reviews. My wife's old Volvo 740 had a set of Coopers we could not wear out, so I would like to know more about the Zeons. When we bought our Land Rover, it had a set of Cooper Discovery on it. They were pretty good for about 30k miles, and after that got loud and wobbly. I much prefer the Michelin LTX m/s2s we put on it.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci 5M sport
OP, i enjoy reading all the little side-stories you told.

i use tirerack in four ways:
- specs (could be found almost anywhere else too) (and keep in mind that treadwear, traction, and temperature ratings are not standardized across manufacturers)
- surveys (i assume these are the opinions, the validity of which you found suspicious)
- reviews with scores and comments (another source of opinions)
- tirerack's test scores, reports (mixed of facts and opinions)

another comment regarding your little story about overtaking sport bikes on redwood road: 2-wheels are slower on tight turns as their lateral traction is significantly less than 4-wheels

btw, how many miles did your previous ps a/s last?
so far i have put just above 21k on mine. the rear are almost done (very close to the indicators), and the fronts still got over 40% tread remaining.
during commute driving, i drive spiritedly on local and cruise on highway. accelerate hard but easy on braking. i also do backroad fun drives from time to time (not that often these days)
when my rears are really done, i'll put one more pair of ps a/s on the rear; hopefully all four will end their tread lives about the same time. then i'm thinking to go for either conti DW (extreme summer) or RE970AS

Last edited by e46_platform; 02-16-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325ci
Continental is what I've out on my car for years. The main reason is that these cars can eat up tires. Before I drove an Integra and loved using Perillis and Michelins but cost on the Bimmer was high. After driving my 328ci for two years, I noticed tire wear and occasional flat tire. Regardless of what I put on the car, I was replacing my rear tires every 2-3 years. Conti were my best options. Some of my flat tires were due to nails or debris from the road.

I like the Conti Sport Contact 2 Z rated better. It handles the curves very smooth. I just picked up this car,325ci, and it has a set of Michelins and its not a smooth ride as the Conti. It's a quiet ride but not as smooth. Save some money and get the Conti Contact Sport. A couple of times I've gotten a high speed rated Conti tire and it was fine. I can't remember which model number but it was similar to what they put on the sedans. I got them cause I needed something to get on the road that weekend and the tire shop only had those in stock, priced $130.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: 03 330ci 3pdl 89 325i
1k will Ger you almost any AS tire you want. Best thing to do is look at tread source or tire rack with what your looking for in mind. I am going to tell you to get nitto extremes but you don't nerd those lol. For less than $500 I'd check out nexen N5000s. For over $500 look aat Conti DWS. These are all opinions except contis because everything Bob says is fact

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App
Old 02-16-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46_platform View Post
OP, i enjoy reading all the little side-stories you told.
btw, how many miles did your previous ps a/s last?
so far i have put just above 21k on mine. the rear are almost done (very close to the indicators), and the fronts still got over 40% tread remaining.
thanks!

i will ask the original owner - perhaps she can get some credit from costco! she gave me all the well kept records, sans tire purchases.

on my daughter's previous 325i the original owner bought yokohama avids 4 at 217,725 miles. as i recall they made a low frequency noise, but were very sticky - perhaps more so that the current michelins, which i've not yet really taken for a good spin.

10 days before the parked car was creamed by the runaway truck, oil was changed at 252k miles, and tires had a bit over 4mm tread (apparently 3mm is legal lower limit) - so ~35k wear on them.

went for a nice long ride yesterday to gilroy to pick up the motive 0250 power bleeder kit, along with some blue fluid. will the joy ever stop?

enjoy,
ferenc

Last edited by ferenc; 02-16-2013 at 04:01 PM.