Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 535i xDrive
FINAL UPDATE and thanks post 51: my location? stuck on the side of the road

Hi all!

I'm currently on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. I have an 08 535xi with 72,000 miles. I have an aftermarket warranty through united auto care.

Earlier today I had an engine malfunction light with the message of reduced power.

Now I also have a 'awd and dsc malfunction', 'dbc malfunction' and start off assistance inactive messages.

The car shakes a lot while in park and idling.

What is your guess?!?!

Last edited by atatbl; 03-12-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2013, 07:46 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
When you have a bunch of errors at once like that my first guess is battery. Do you still have the original battery in the car? 5 years on a battery is REALLY pushing it.

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 02-12-2013, 07:57 PM

I believe the battery has been replaced.

It's almost certainly something more serious. The engine stutters but it starts fine. It drives horribly though. Plus, the errors came up in two stages with about 5 miles apart.

As a layman, I seem to think there is something wrong with the engines.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:58 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Hpfp
Old 02-12-2013, 08:01 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boramkiv View Post
Hpfp
+1000 possibly injectors and fuel rail as well, not uncommon on the 535

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 02-12-2013, 08:03 PM

Hpfp was replaced with recall. Does that make it less likely? Is this exactly what happens?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:12 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by atatbl View Post
Hpfp was replaced with recall. Does that make it less likely? Is this exactly what happens?
I know people that have replaced it 5-6 times

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 02-12-2013, 08:18 PM

Same symptoms as I described? I would be relieved if that was the problem...... I think.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:25 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Quote:
Same symptoms as I described? I would be relieved if that was the problem...... I think.
Similar symptoms, yes, for most the first message they see says "Limp mode". The errors vary, but the result is the same. Conveniently BMW warranties the HPFP for 120k miles, unfortunately I don't think they include the injectors and fuel rail.

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 02-12-2013, 08:35 PM

Well I think my after market will cover it..... Or so I hope.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Quote:
Well I think my after market will cover it..... Or so I hope.
Better hope so - the injectors get to be quite expensive. As for HPFPs, I am on my fourth one. I am also on my third set of injectors!

BMW CCA Member
Old 02-13-2013, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i, manual blk/blk
Sounds like the injectors, fuel rail and/or HPFP. I've had about 3 or 4 HPFPs 3 sets of plugs at least, and multiple other associated items replaced and chronicled here by myself and others. CPO has covered it all, but it's very undignified to watch your baby being carted away on the business side of a flatbed!
Old 02-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Old Timer (Really)

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 535i Sport
I thought only the turbos had HPFP's.

2009 535i Sport, Jet Black | Cobb Stage 2 Aggressive | Injen DCI | AR Downpipes | BMS Led Angel Eyes | Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
2008 528i (Retired)
2006 328ci (Retired)
1975 US Army (Retired)
Old 02-13-2013, 06:15 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnie35 View Post
I thought only the turbos had HPFP's.
Yep, although the OP's mein auto is a 528i Xdrive they did mention it was an '08 535ix with the issue.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:20 PM
Old Timer (Really)

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 535i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by boramkiv View Post
Yep, although the OP's mein auto is a 528i Xdrive they did mention it was an '08 535ix with the issue.
Guess I need to read a bit more closely ...

In 2009, my HPFP crapped out, and had symptoms similar to those Atatbl mentioned.

2009 535i Sport, Jet Black | Cobb Stage 2 Aggressive | Injen DCI | AR Downpipes | BMS Led Angel Eyes | Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
2008 528i (Retired)
2006 328ci (Retired)
1975 US Army (Retired)

Last edited by burnie35; 02-13-2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Added a comment
Old 02-13-2013, 09:22 PM

You are all damn geniuses lmao. So they told me I need all new injectors... big surprise. Then they said my after market (purchased through them) won't cover it..... big surprise. I asked how much it cost and he said $2500+. After I told him that's not happening, he said he figured that much before he even called me back and had reached out to BMW. I asked him what BMW would likely cover and he said "There's no way to know with a situation like this." Anyway he is expecting to hear back from BMW tomorrow.

Seeing as I've read these forums for quite some time and never heard of a dealer reaching out to BMW, I am left to assume that is a ridiculous ploy. They did, however, give me a loaner and say that they will let me know tomorrow. I will say, they clearly do have a good relationship with BMW (for what it's worth).

What say you?
Old 02-13-2013, 09:48 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Quote:
You are all damn geniuses lmao. So they told me I need all new injectors... big surprise. Then they said my after market (purchased through them) won't cover it..... big surprise. I asked how much it cost and he said $2500+. After I told him that's not happening, he said he figured that much before he even called me back and had reached out to BMW. I asked him what BMW would likely cover and he said "There's no way to know with a situation like this." Anyway he is expecting to hear back from BMW tomorrow.

Seeing as I've read these forums for quite some time and never heard of a dealer reaching out to BMW, I am left to assume that is a ridiculous ploy. They did, however, give me a loaner and say that they will let me know tomorrow. I will say, they clearly do have a good relationship with BMW (for what it's worth).

What say you?
It's nice of them to contact BMWNA for you. Sometimes they will cover it, as a "good will" gesture. Good luck, hopefully they will cover it. If they don't contact a reliable indy mechanic in your area and see how much it would cost, I am guessing at LEAST $1k less than stealer prices.

I would be curious as to WHY the warranty you have won't cover it, what is the point of having it then?

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe

Last edited by pjinca; 02-13-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjinca View Post
It's nice of them to contact BMWNA for you. Sometimes they will cover it, as a "good will" gesture. Good luck, hopefully they will cover it. If they don't contact a reliable indy mechanic in your area and see how much it would cost, I am guessing at LEAST $1k less than stealer prices.

I would be curious as to WHY the warranty you have won't cover it, what is the point of having it then?
Why is it nice of them to contact them? Is that odd? Wouldn't BMW covering it mean that BMW would pay the dealership (an incentive for the dealer)?

Perhaps I forgot to mention- I bought the car about 2 months ago and it is my first BMW. I'm also young and someone that would have stuck with BMW's for a long, long time. I wouldn't have ever had a reason to bu non-BMW again, if not for this incident concluding the way it is likely to conclude.

To answer your question regarding the warranty: there wasn't a point. I made a piss-poor decision, it's that simple. I bought the warranty that they recommended and that was foolish, apparently. I am also pretty confident that the injectors were already on their way out when I bought the car and that there were codes showing this (the codes that don't display on the instrument panel.... I know there's a term for that, I just can't think of it right now).

I read about this issue before buying the car and I failed to prepare properly for it. I will now pay the consequence for that mistake. I won't contact an indy for this issue. I will give them the car back and pay the seven year price on m FICO.... most of which will be punishment for the next three years, after that I will see my score slowly recover.

I am at least 50% culpable for making this poor decision. I just have a sick feeling in my stomach for falling for such a stupid manipulation. I made sure the HPFP was replaced, but I still let them talk me into buying a car with an issue and subsequently let them talk me into buying a warranty from them that they knew would cover just about every single thing except for that issue.

/vent over, lesson learned.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:40 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Before you go down the road of turning the car in, I'd make sure every avenue had been exhausted. Is/was your car a CPO (probably not considering you needed a warranty)? Did you buy it from a BMW dealer? If yes to either question I'd contact BMWNA myself.

Our address:
BMW of North America, LLC
300 Chestnut Ridge Road
Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677-7731

Customer Relations:
1-800-831-1117
customerrelations@bmwusa.com

Explain the situation, this is a known issue. Try to convince them calmly, but raise hell at the dealer (I would).

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 02-13-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Before you go down the road of turning the car in, I'd make sure every avenue had been exhausted. Is/was your car a CPO (probably not considering you needed a warranty)? Did you buy it from a BMW dealer? If yes to either question I'd contact BMWNA myself.

Our address:
BMW of North America, LLC
300 Chestnut Ridge Road
Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677-7731

Customer Relations:
1-800-831-1117
customerrelations@bmwusa.com
I don't think it was a CPO. There was an original owner and then another. The other owner had an after market warranty too... I'm not sure that matters though.

Quote:
Try to convince them calmly, but raise hell at the dealer (I would).
That part made me laugh. I think you're right though. Yelling isn't my style. Perhaps I should also mention that I am paying an exorbitantly high interest rate. I am guessing that the finance reserve was 6 or 7%+ for the dealership. Money will speak louder than my voice can get. Yes, they are a BMW dealership. They seem to be almost a flagship for BMW. I never would have thought I'd be in this situation with this dealership.

Amazing ride while it lasted/lasts. BMW certainly does know what they're doing with their engineering. I loved it for the last two months.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 550i
I'm going to get beat down for this but I'm going for it anyways because it needs to be said. This sucks and I hate to kick dirt on you while you're down. After only owning a car for two months, I'd be pissed as hell to have to come out of pocket for anything. Having said that, $2500 is a lot of money but knowing BMW's are expensive vehicles to repair shouldn't you have prepared to eventually pony up that type of cash for a repair? I don't mean to get too personal but what's your savings situation like? You should avoid having to pay for this by all means but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be prepared to pay for this. When you bought this car, did you completely wipe out your savings?

This type of decision making is a microcosm of what happened in the early to mid 2000's. People purchased items (homes) beyond what they could comfortably afford. They received contracts, ignored the important fine print and signed. Then when things went sour, they blamed banks, loan officers, etc. Not to absolve the guy who sold you the warranty, but you said you did research on this forum about the car. Did you not check to see that these commonly failed components were covered by this warranty?

It looks like prior to purchasing this car, you had concerns and a member on this board suggested an Indy pre purchase inspection. Did that happen?

What about this high interest rate loan you have? Why did you accept those terms on a relatively expensive car? Unless your credit score is in a ditch, any loan APPROACHING double digits should be disregarded as a joke and walked away from.

You said you take 50% of the blame but depending on how you answer these questions, perhaps you deserve more than 50% blame.

I think the larger point is that purchasing this car wiped you out financially. You bought too much car than you could properly afford - it seems. IDK - I'm sick to my stomach for you and hope things work out but this goes back to bad decision making on your part. BMW's are amazing cars when properly maintained. I'll have a hard time not ever owning a BMW. But with that comes my expectation and corresponding preparation to eventually have to pay for a major repair. As prestigious as it may have appeared to own a BMW, it's going to look equally bad to surrender it because it turns out you couldn't afford a repair. I hope BMW steps up and does the right thing but this is a terrible experience regardless.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandalay View Post
I'm going to get beat down for this but I'm going for it anyways because it needs to be said. This sucks and I hate to kick dirt on you while you're down. After only owning a car for two months, I'd be pissed as hell to have to come out of pocket for anything. Having said that, $2500 is a lot of money but knowing BMW's are expensive vehicles to repair shouldn't you have prepared to eventually pony up that type of cash for a repair? I don't mean to get too personal but what's your savings situation like? You should avoid having to pay for this by all means but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be prepared to pay for this. When you bought this car, did you completely wipe out your savings?

This type of decision making is a microcosm of what happened in the early to mid 2000's. People purchased items (homes) beyond what they could comfortably afford. They received contracts, ignored the important fine print and signed. Then when things went sour, they blamed banks, loan officers, etc. Not to absolve the guy who sold you the warranty, but you said you did research on this forum about the car. Did you not check to see that these commonly failed components were covered by this warranty?

It looks like prior to purchasing this car, you had concerns and a member on this board suggested an Indy pre purchase inspection. Did that happen?

What about this high interest rate loan you have? Why did you accept those terms on a relatively expensive car? Unless your credit score is in a ditch, any loan APPROACHING double digits should be disregarded as a joke and walked away from.

You said you take 50% of the blame but depending on how you answer these questions, perhaps you deserve more than 50% blame.

I think the larger point is that purchasing this car wiped you out financially. You bought too much car than you could properly afford - it seems. IDK - I'm sick to my stomach for you and hope things work out but this goes back to bad decision making on your part. BMW's are amazing cars when properly maintained. I'll have a hard time not ever owning a BMW. But with that comes my expectation and corresponding preparation to eventually have to pay for a major repair. As prestigious as it may have appeared to own a BMW, it's going to look equally bad to surrender it because it turns out you couldn't afford a repair. I hope BMW steps up and does the right thing but this is a terrible experience regardless.
I don't know why you'd get beat down for that response. I feel pretty similar to your sentiments. I just view it differently because I don't have the same experiences as you. FWIW, I said at least 50% of the blame because it's hard to quantify.

I can't scan the warranty info right now and attach it, nor am I an auto mechanic, but I'd say it covers pretty much everything except the injectors. It even covers pumps and lines and turbos etc., etc. which is what I looked for when I got the warranty. So let's even say I'm 99% culpable. It's the feeling that they knew what I didn't know that bothers me (possibly).

I don't want to get too personal either, but trust me when I say the principle that goes along with getting screwed is what matters most to me in my decision to surrender.

If I wouldn't have purchased a warranty what would you be questioning? Obviously, you'd question why I didn't get a warranty. I did so to avoid this exact situation.

If the dealership wants to lose money (from my loan), lose money by having to re-sell the vehicle for less and still have to foot the bill for the repair regardless, what am I to do? You wouldn't be at peace with the decision to surrender the vehicle in that situation? Maybe I'm young or naive enough to make this decision on self-respect (or pride, however you want to characterize it). Could be a mistake, to be sure. I won't deny that. However, if you had just bought your first BMW and didn't have the many years of experience in their vehicles that you have and you were working off of two months of experience you would likely feel just as jaded as me.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 550i
It's a massively effed up situation. I really hope they step up and cover most or all of the repairs. If I were you I'd go to battle with the dealer on this. I'm rooting for you to get this resolved in your favor.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandalay View Post
It's a massively effed up situation. I really hope they step up and cover most or all of the repairs. If I were you I'd go to battle with the dealer on this. I'm rooting for you to get this resolved in your favor.

I appreciate your support!

You're the second person to elude to the idea of taking the dealer to task and I'm sure you two aren't the only ones thinking this. I am assuming a surrender is the last thing a dealer wants to hear on an otherwise great deal for them.

What are you saying I should do besides that? Should I not mention that as my course of action? I can't imagine yelling or screaming at someone will change anything. What do you suggest? Threatening BBB report? I'm not sure how I should escalate this when/if it becomes necessary.

Last edited by atatbl; 02-14-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:33 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
a bmw with 72k sonething along these lines was bound to happen sorry. op i hope you get some good will service but i agree sounds like u got took and badly at that

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App