Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-14-2013, 12:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
I think,,, this would fall under the lemon law...

atatbl....... Before u turn in the car ..and if they refuse to fix it....( and Im not being mean here ) U need to,,,,, blow up your balls,,, be a man,,,, get HUFFY !,, And lite up every swinging d***k in that service department.,,, statring with the service advisor, then... ream the service manager,, a new A**HOLE ,,,then move up the ladder to the general manager of that dealership.. all the way up to the CEO and,,, (DEMAND !! ) that they fix the issue... and tell them they have to fix the car that they sold you ,,, had bad injectors before they sold u the car,,,

Sorry to hear bout your situation..... same thing happened to my exgilrfriends mother. but was a oil pump on a vw jetta... they refused to fix her car kept giviin her the run around,,,,, and told her it wasnt covered under her waranty..... she said the same thing as you..( yelling is not my style ) i said okay.. I personally went overthere and screamed !! ,,,,,,,the living F***k !! out of the service manager,,, and the general manager.. 15 minutes later .. they said they would fix it and did.....

you said its not your style ..... but sometimes u gotta take care of buisiness.....

Last edited by H F; 02-14-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by H F View Post
I wonder if this would fall under the lemon law...

atabl....... Before u turn in the car ..and if they refuse to fix it....( and Im not being mean here ) U need to,,,,, blow up your balls,,, be a man,,,, get HUFFY,, And lite up every swinging d***k in that service department. statring with the service advisor, then... ream the service manager,, a new A**HOLE ,,,then move up the ladder to the general manager of that dealership.. all the way up to the CEO and,,, (DEMAND !! ) that they fix the issue... and tell them they have to fix the car that they sold you ,,, had bad injectors before they sold u the car,,,

sorry to hear bout your situation..... same thing happened to my exgilrfriends mother. but was a oil pump on a vw jetta... they refused to fix her car kept giviin her the run around and told her it wasnt covered under her waranty..... she said the same thing as you..( yelling is not my style ) i said okay.. I personally went overthere and screamed the living F***k out of the service manager and the general manager.. ten minutes later .. they said they would fix it and did.....

you said its not your style ..... but sometimes u gotta take care of buisiness.....
Well I certainly appreciate your clear support for my position

The way I read your post makes me feel as though I may end up getting the cops called on me if I don't pull this off correctly lol. I guess I'll just man-up, pretend I'm back serving in a combat zone, and *NON-VIOLENTLY/NON-PHYSICALLY* go ballistic. I assume I should try and make this happen in the lobby? I want as many buyers as possible to see this? I shy away from heated confrontation because I've seen what it can lead to, but you can trust that I can definitely create an upsetting scene for the manager(s) while making the day of any bystanders.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:19 AM

FYI, the state I'm in has a lemon law that only applies to original manufacturer warranties on used vehicles (or new, for that matter).
Old 02-14-2013, 12:50 AM

U have ..nothing to loose... and every thing to gain..... Dealers wil take advantage of u ,,, if u let them.. I think thier bone..ing u, and im pissed off for u....u can give them hell ,,,,,, but please b smart bout it.... Hopefully it will work out... good luck

let us know,, how it works out....
Old 02-14-2013, 01:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW M5
The fuel injectors on the n54 was pretty much defective from the factory. A new improved part replaced it. I also believe there was a recall done by BMW in addition to the hpfp. I have a 2010 535i and the dealer replaced all 6 injectors due to rough idle caused by misfire at about 30k miles. Its been solid for the last 12k miles.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:03 AM

Goto the following link for info on the fuel injector recall:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-510485.html

Google N54 fuel injector recall as well.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:08 AM

Thanks for all of the help everyone. I will certainly update how this turns out.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:17 AM

great info Amit...

atatbl,,,, There u go,,,, make copies and take that to the dealer as ammo...
Old 02-14-2013, 01:54 AM

Quote:
great info Amit...

atatbl,,,, There u go,,,, make copies and take that to the dealer as ammo...
THANK YOU Amit

Well, this should save me having to scream, I guess:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=507467

Post #4

Now I'm more pissed off. Is there any chance in hell that a service adviser wouldn't have already known about this? Is he seriously just trying to play me?

F*ck these clowns. Should I expect all BMW authorized dealers to be staffed by POS clowns like the guy I'm dealing with?

Would it be necessary to push them for new spark plugs now? Is their failure inevitable after my injectors failed?

Last edited by atatbl; 02-14-2013 at 01:55 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:48 AM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
I would get whatever you can get out of them to make this right for you. It's ridiculous that the car has these problems after just 2 months. Like Amit said, use the known issues and recalls as leverage. If you need to make a scene, make one, but do it on the sales floor while they have customers - like on a Saturday afternoon. Not saying act like a lunatic, but getting slightly louder when saying things like "so THIS is how you take car of good paying customers once they leave the lot?" and "The post purchase service here leaves a lot to be desired". I wouldn't advocate getting ghetto - that won't get you anywhere. However, if you are forceful and show you are educated the dealer will have more respect and any customers overhearing will relate to you better, making them think twice (which the dealer DEFINITELY doesn't want)

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 02-14-2013, 09:08 AM

OK.

So this a**hole service adviser calls me today and leaves a voice mail saying "What BMW is going to participate in is Awesome! They are going to cover the injectors and spark plugs and you're just left with labor $600+"

WTF?

I am not paying a god damned thing! I tried calling already but he was busy, so was the service manager.

Should I go in to do this personally? Can I tell them to f-off over the phone and get my way?

I would feel pretty good about surrendering the car now. I have no desire to do any further business with people that are this f**king shady. Complete bulls*it.

Did anyone else pay for labor on their recall? Are the clowns seriously trying to double-dip on their labor costs by screwing a customer?

As you can probably tell, I am pissed. Complete garbage.

THANK YOU TO ALL THE POSTERS HERE! Without you I would have made even more mistakes regarding BMW. I regret buying from where I did now.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:18 AM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by atatbl View Post
OK.

So this a**hole service adviser calls me today and leaves a voice mail saying "What BMW is going to participate in is Awesome! They are going to cover the injectors and spark plugs and you're just left with labor $600+"

WTF?

I am not paying a god damned thing! I tried calling already but he was busy, so was the service manager.

Should I go in to do this personally? Can I tell them to f-off over the phone and get my way?

I would feel pretty good about surrendering the car now. I have no desire to do any further business with people that are this f**king shady. Complete bulls*it.

Did anyone else pay for labor on their recall? Are the clowns seriously trying to double-dip on their labor costs by screwing a customer?

As you can probably tell, I am pissed. Complete garbage.

THANK YOU TO ALL THE POSTERS HERE! Without you I would have made even more mistakes regarding BMW. I regret buying from where I did now.
If this situation falls under the recall then you should not have to pay a penny. However, if for some reason it doesn't, I'd pay the $600 and consider myself lucky that I saved $1900. And then create a savings account to drop whatever I can into just to cover future repairs since your warranty seems to suck. (I'd also talk to the dealer about the specifics of what is and is not covered under the warranty THEY sold you. If needed start a BBB complaint)

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 02-14-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjinca View Post
If this situation falls under the recall then you should not have to pay a penny. However, if for some reason it doesn't, I'd pay the $600 and consider myself lucky that I saved $1900. And then create a savings account to drop whatever I can into just to cover future repairs since your warranty seems to suck. (I'd also talk to the dealer about the specifics of what is and is not covered under the warranty THEY sold you. If needed start a BBB complaint)
Will do. Waiting for call-backs from the GM or any of the service people now. Thank you again.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 550i
Yeah - so definitely don't get ghetto. You drive a BMW, not a Chevy Impala here lol. And besides it sounds like they're doing a solid. I'd definitely be inclined to take the $600 labor expense and call it a win. It's worth it to try to avoid the labor expense but in the back of my head I'm considering it a win if that's all I have to pony up. I believe that there is always a way to make something like this right and if BMW hadn't come thru, then I'd been happy to share them with you. For now consider this a victory.

going forward, I can't begin to tell you how important it is to make sure you have a cushion of savings available for stuff like this. either that or learn how to DIY. In addition, you've got to be good on your payments so you can renegotiate your interest rate in 12-18 months. In the meantime, I'd suggest paying extra if you can on the principal instead of paying a high rate loan for however many years. I don't mean to lecture you but between this being along the lines of what I do for aliving and wishing someone had offered me some advice when I was beginning to be faced with financial decisions, I feel obliged to say this - no matter how obvious it is in retrospect.

Good luck and post some pics once you get her back!
Old 02-14-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandalay View Post
Yeah - so definitely don't get ghetto. You drive a BMW, not a Chevy Impala here lol. And besides it sounds like they're doing a solid. I'd definitely be inclined to take the $600 labor expense and call it a win. It's worth it to try to avoid the labor expense but in the back of my head I'm considering it a win if that's all I have to pony up. I believe that there is always a way to make something like this right and if BMW hadn't come thru, then I'd been happy to share them with you. For now consider this a victory.

going forward, I can't begin to tell you how important it is to make sure you have a cushion of savings available for stuff like this. either that or learn how to DIY. In addition, you've got to be good on your payments so you can renegotiate your interest rate in 12-18 months. In the meantime, I'd suggest paying extra if you can on the principal instead of paying a high rate loan for however many years. I don't mean to lecture you but between this being along the lines of what I do for aliving and wishing someone had offered me some advice when I was beginning to be faced with financial decisions, I feel obliged to say this - no matter how obvious it is in retrospect.

Good luck and post some pics once you get her back!
Thanks again!

Here's what bothers me. I have the recall and the customer letter. I could easily pay the labor charges. The customer letter with the recall states "BMW will repair your vehicle free of charge for parts and labor."

You're telling me that you would voluntarily pay hundreds of dollars to a dealership that sold you a defective car and is NOW actively going out of their way to mislead you in hopes that you pay for something that BMW is already going to reimburse them for? Not that this should even need to be in the equation, but now remember that you've only owned the car for 9 weeks.

How is that a victory? You seem like someone that would not be OK with getting screwed. So what I am I missing?

EDIT: Just for clarity... my car was produced in 01/2008. The recall covers engines which were produced from 04/02/2007 to 10/31/2008. Secondly, this service adviser has already told me that the injectors that failed are different than the ones that they would be replaced with. This was his explanation as to why he would need to replace all six.

Last edited by atatbl; 02-14-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 550i
I missed the part where this repair is apart of a recall. Honestly, if this is a recall issue and the letter you quoted from is in reference to the necessary repairs then not paying for anything is a no brainer. And I'd agree that the dealership service department is being shady. But make sure that's the case. Again, I didn't see where you said this was apart of a recall. I only saw that BMW was going to fix it but I didn't get the impression because it was a recall. Honestly if thats the case then why is this service guy making it sound like they're doing you a favor?
Old 02-14-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandalay View Post
I missed the part where this repair is apart of a recall. Honestly, if this is a recall issue and the letter you quoted from is in reference to the necessary repairs then not paying for anything is a no brainer. And I'd agree that the dealership service department is being shady. But make sure that's the case. Again, I didn't see where you said this was apart of a recall. I only saw that BMW was going to fix it but I didn't get the impression because it was a recall. Honestly if thats the case then why is this service guy making it sound like they're doing you a favor?
And now you're asking the exact same questions I am.

Occam's razor leads me to believe the answer is greed.

Last edited by atatbl; 02-14-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:04 AM

In case anyone else is confused....

Thanks to all of you posters and espcially Amit...... I found the TSB and the letter that accompanied it.

This is (I believe) covered under the recall.

Secondly, I would maybe be inclined to grant leeway to these shady people if the car had already been serviced under recall. However, they are not returning my calls so I cannot be sure. Regardless, he already told me it has a different style injector (read: the kind that are known to fail) than the injectors that it needs to be replaced with.

Furthermore, I need to point this out and it might clear some things up: never, not once, at all has he said the word recall or spoken about known issues with this model.

Post number 34 has a link to where I got the TSB and letter from.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:34 AM

Great news that bmw will cover the parts.. They are staring to back peddal .. now refuse to talk to the service advisor,,, refuse to talk to the service manager.. tell them u wnna take it up and only ....talk to the general manager .. u wil get your way... and rightfully so...
Old 02-14-2013, 12:04 PM

by the way .. dont tell anyone to f***k off over the phone,, that will defitnately screw it up for u..b smart about it.. BE,,, patient let them call u,,, and take advantage of the loaner in the mean time
Old 02-14-2013, 12:13 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Quote:
by the way .. dont tell anyone to f***k off over the phone,, that will defitnately screw it up for u..b smart about it.. BE,,, patient let them call u,,, and take advantage of the loaner in the mean time
+1000 They already got BMW to cover $1900, no need to be too combative. The key words here are "righteous indignation" - they got brownie points for getting BMW to cover the parts, but the dealer also sold you a warranty that seems to be not worth the paper it's written on.

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 02-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Old Timer (Really)

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 535i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by h f View Post
by the way .. Dont tell anyone to f***k off over the phone,, that will defitnately screw it up for u..b smart about it.. Be,,, patient let them call u,,, and take advantage of the loaner in the mean time
+1

2009 535i Sport, Jet Black | Cobb Stage 2 Aggressive | Injen DCI | AR Downpipes | BMS Led Angel Eyes | Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
2008 528i (Retired)
2006 328ci (Retired)
1975 US Army (Retired)
Old 02-14-2013, 02:02 PM

They should definitely cover the parts and labor. The fact that they think you should pay labor sounds as if they got BMW to do this as a "good will" repair, but it should be a recall. What dealership are you dealing with? They seem incompetent, you might want to try another.

Regardless, this is a recall on the injectors, and they are admitting that the current failed injectors are the original defective units. This is a clear cut case, you shouldn't have to pay a dime on the injector replacement. If you need to, go ahead and call BMW NA to get this resolved.

The only thing that the dealership can claim is that your particular injectors don't fall within the batch that should be replaced. If that's the case then you might have to pay the labor, but I would still fight it.

Last edited by amit1947; 02-14-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:47 PM

Just wanted to thank everyone again for your help and let you know I will be posting the conclusion of this saga by the middle of next week.

Thank you for all of your help! It's appreciated!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:51 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by atatbl View Post
Just wanted to thank everyone again for your help and let you know I will be posting the conclusion of this saga by the middle of next week.

Thank you for all of your help! It's appreciated!
Bro, this and info, and camaraderie is exactly what the forum is for - good luck

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe