Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 528i Sport Prem 5Spd
Crashed E46 Wagon, Thoughts

My 2003 E46 325xiT Wagon with only 40,000 miles was hit on Sunday. The wagon was stopped when a pickup truck reversed into the front of it. The airbags did not deploy. Previously there wasn't a scratch, chip, dent or anything on this car. We bought it as a one owner car in June and it had 33,000 miles on it in showroom condition, a real find.

I haven't actually seen the car since I am out of town at the moment, but I do know that at the radiator is done for and leaking coolant. Other than that I am unsure which mechanical parts are damaged, I'm assuming the fan and fan clutch and the air-filter box are also smashed. So far I see a broken radiator, headlight, hood, bumper, fender, air box, fan clutch and maybe the power steering reservoir... doesn't seem like that much work.

My question is, what are the odds that this car is totaled? The insurance adjuster is coming to the body shop on Thursday, but the shop owner says that given the car's age he thinks it might be a total loss. I hope not, it's a great car.

2000 528i Sport Premium 5speed
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
That really sucks! Sorry to hear (and see) it. Fight hard to have it repaired. You are not at the mercy of the insurance company declaring it totalled. Make your case for a complete repair if they try to total it. Use its condition and low mileage to establish its correct replacement value. Good luck.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 02-13-2013, 04:27 AM

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
This happened to me at a red light in Washington DC. The guy decided he was "too far" into the intersection and decided to put his truck in reverse and back into me. The tow hitch rammed into my hood. He "apparently" didnt speak a lick of english, it was his "bosses" truck. I called for a spanish speaking police officer. Apparently they wont writeup a police report for "fender benders" in the district so I was SOL. I had to pay everything out of my own pocket, and the guy just walked. I decided to not get insurance involved since I was paying for it, it would only increase my premium. The guy didnt even say sorry.

People in this world...

But to your question. I think it'll be close to "totalled" Figure you need hood, front bumper, left front quarter panel, paint obviously, new headlight, new corner, new radiator, and who knows what else in the engine compartment. Hopefully that front frame isnt bent. If so, than its dunzo
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |

Last edited by jdauria; 02-13-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:12 AM
Quietly Learning E46

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 323i
Faaawk....soma-ma-bitch... two excruciatingly hard stories to hear.

DPP528 so sorry to hear of your plight. I guess it comes down to what value it is to you, (sentimental,..etc.)
But unfortunately, with BMW parts as they are and in NY, brace yourself for a totalled.
But best of luck with it all.

@jdauria,... that sucks big time. Would having pictures, vehicle documents(in english) help pursue for some compensation?

Last edited by new_kid; 02-13-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_kid View Post
Faaawk....soma-ma-bitch... two excruciatingly hard stories to hear.

DPP528 so sorry to hear of your plight. I guess it comes down to what value it is to you, (sentimental,..etc.)
But unfortunately, with BMW parts as they are and in NY, brace yuourself for a totalled.
But best of luck with it all.

@jdauria,... that sucks big time. Would having pictures, vehicle documents(in english) help pursue for some compensation?
I have pictures of the accident, but no police report to go by since they don't write them up. There was no point in getting insurance involved because it would just create a nightmare. Hopefully karma finds him.
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
Old 02-13-2013, 06:31 AM
Quietly Learning E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdauria View Post
I have pictures of the accident, but no police report to go by since they don't write them up. There was no point in getting insurance involved because it would just create a nightmare. Hopefully karma finds him.
I hear ya.... A good attitude.

Ten to one he knew English but use this ruse to get out of the situation.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_kid View Post
I hear ya.... A good attitude.

Ten to one he knew English but use this ruse to get out of the situation.
No I actually think he didnt know a lick of english LOL he was one of those "workers".

I mean this happened a couple years ago, but when I see threads like this, it brings back bad memories
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace

Old 02-13-2013, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325iT - Sienna Rot
@jdauria:

Having your insurance company involved most definately SHOULD have helped assuming you had info on the guy that hit you (plates or name/company name, etc). The insurance co would have gone after his insurance for damages - that is what they are there for. Police report isn't necessary (although it is helpful). Evidence or witnesses to back your story up are also helpful.

Unless you insurance co is a fly-by-night or your agent is completely worthless/scumbag, don't be afraid to use them to cover your butt or go after someone elses. If they are worthless, then lawyers help a lot.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gesoffen View Post
@jdauria:

Having your insurance company involved most definately SHOULD have helped assuming you had info on the guy that hit you (plates or name/company name, etc). The insurance co would have gone after his insurance for damages - that is what they are there for. Police report isn't necessary (although it is helpful). Evidence or witnesses to back your story up are also helpful.

Unless you insurance co is a fly-by-night or your agent is completely worthless/scumbag, don't be afraid to use them to cover your butt or go after someone elses. If they are worthless, then lawyers help a lot.

I had 2 other people in my car when it happened, and the other guy had another person with him too. The guy who hit me literally didnt speak english and trying to ask for the "owners number" was just blank stares. The police officer was zero help during the situation. This was during that huge snowstorm in 2010, can only imagine how many calls they had that night in DC.

I understand using insurance company I pay for every month to help me out but as a young adult I dont have endless money. I can't afford my insurance premium to go drastically because of some d-bag who hits me. Let alone paying for a lawyer Nightmare of paperwork

Maybe I got played or just had bad luck. Thats here nor there anymore. It happened, its over, my car is fine.
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace

Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 AM

I figure the car is worth about $12,500 fixed, Could it really be that expensive to fix? The condition of the car really was excellent, and it was never in an accident before (not that it matters now...) Anyhow, if it's totaled I'll probably buy it for the salvage value and fix it my way... hopefully It doesn't have to come to that...

Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPP528 View Post
I figure the car is worth about $12,500 fixed, Could it really be that expensive to fix? The condition of the car really was excellent, and it was never in an accident before (not that it matters now...) Anyhow, if it's totaled I'll probably buy it for the salvage value and fix it my way... hopefully It doesn't have to come to that...
Woah I may be completely wrong on this but since when is a e46 wagon worth 12.5k?? I'd say tops $9k with a clean title.
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace

Old 02-13-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Woah I may be completely wrong on this but since when is a e46 wagon worth 12.5k?? I'd say tops $9k with a clean title.
Even with 40,000 miles? Seems like a reasonable price to me...

Old 02-13-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Even with 40,000 miles? Seems like a reasonable price to me...
Not according to KBB or Edmunds
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace

Old 02-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Quietly Learning E46

Quote:
$12K seem a bit high, but who knows... it's New York, right?

That's exactly what I'd do. I think usually it's the labor cost that drives up the total repair bill, thus allowing for a potential write-off.

Ofcourse a lot depends on the extent of the unseen damage, eg. the frame,etc. only then one can make a better assessment and move from there.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:49 AM

KBB says $12,140 private party.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: Touring and others
Quote:
Not according to KBB or Edmunds
KBB and Edmunds do not buy or sell cars. Depends on your location as well. Go for it.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
KBB says $12,140 private party.
Can you provide the link?

I know kbb and Edmunds don't buy or sell cars but people look up what a cars worth via those sites. I put in a NY zip in

What's the difference once this accident is on a Carfax the vehicle is definitely not worth 12
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace

Last edited by jdauria; 02-13-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:35 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
I seriously doubt that is totaled. Looks like you need headlight, hood, fender and bumper, probably radiator and maybe some other mechanical stuff on the front of the engine. By no means should that be totaled unless you take it to the dealership. The cost for them to repair it will be a total loss.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 02-13-2013, 04:38 PM
Coupe OR Never

Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
I really don't think your car is worth anything over 10 grand. I actually doubt that it will even bring 10k. KBB may say whatever they want to say. In the end, it is what others willing to pay for it is the real value of your car. Have you seen any transaction for a similar car in the price range KBB mentions?

If you love your car, I hope they fix it for you. This is what I hope. What I think is that they will total it...
Hope it works the way you wish. Let us know...
Old 02-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Coupe OR Never

Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
I seriously doubt that is totaled. Looks like you need headlight, hood, fender and bumper, probably radiator and maybe some other mechanical stuff on the front of the engine. By no means should that be totaled unless you take it to the dealership. The cost for them to repair it will be a total loss.
By looking at it, I feel that the entire pulley/belt system and accessories need replacing. Also don't you think the engine block might got hit causing some shift smolck?
That's where I based my decision...
Old 02-13-2013, 04:53 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskoos View Post
By looking at it, I feel that the entire pulley/belt system and accessories need replacing. Also don't you think the engine block might got hit causing some shift smolck?
I really don't. The hood is made to crumple like that, it looks bad, but isn't really. But obviously someone has to look under the hood and make the call. Based on what I see, no I don't think it got hit near hard enough to shift anything major.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 02-13-2013, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: '03 530ia Sport/'05 330ci
Just had an accident w/my e39 that was similar - needed new hood/grills, new left front light assembly, new bumper cover (but bumper was OK), new wheel liners, temp sensor, and misc other stuff. Radiator was not affected.

Total was about $4K. SoCal.

PM or email to screen name at gmail
Old 02-13-2013, 05:16 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
Total was about $4K. SoCal.
Dealer do the work?

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 02-13-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Can you provide the link?
http://www.kbb.com/bmw/3-series/2003...2658178%7ctrue

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskoos View Post
I doubt that the pulleys were affected, as you can see the bumper cover is 90% intact and the pulleys are below that.

Also this car currently runs and drives, so I doubt there's any mechanical work of significance necessary.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: '03 530ia Sport/'05 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Dealer do the work?
No - local body shop, AAA approved, primarily 4 to 5 star ratings as far as I could find, and their work looks as good as any I've seen from the local body shop I used to use based on recommendations from the local BMW chapter.

I'm going to take my body work to this new (to me) shop from now on.

All parts were new/OEM.

PM or email to screen name at gmail

Last edited by Redflea; 02-13-2013 at 05:28 PM.