Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-24-2013, 03:53 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
Bluetooth protocols for phone calls is much lower quality than those that can be used for music. These cars don't support the "higher" quality connections directly, thus the reason to use another solution.

I THINK the CIC system may support streaming music over blutooth, but that's just a faint memory that may be incorrect
CIC definitely supports BT streaming. On the 2011+ models you can stream BT from any supported device, and still have another phone connected to the car for incoming calls. Then on the 2013 750il you can connect three devices.

Sound quality shouldn't be bad because sound is through aux. if Bluetooth streaming is bad to the device (griffin blue trip) then it will send that bad signal through the aux.
Another issue is some aux (non factory) are installed far from an outlet. So this helps with having to have an aux cord going one way, and your charging cord going the other way.

Last edited by boramkiv; 02-24-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:23 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Think I'm going to get one. Just need to make sure I have power and the aux input in the same place. I'd like to have all the cords either in the glovebox or the center console. Should be simple enough to do
Old 02-24-2013, 04:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boramkiv View Post
You won't need to have your phone plugged in. This device uses power from the outlet. It collects the music from your phone through Bluetooth then it sends that music to the car through the aux. your phone can just be there free of cords unless you plug it into a charger for power.

It's about an hour long install, then the car has to be coded via a dealer (not recommended$$)
or some people on these very forums.
I see,,,, so cars blue tooth can't handle streaming music then,, ya ok I have a different set for those who might be interested its called. I Simple is75..... Plugs directly into ur iPhone with two ends one end for the audio jack and one for power with a fuse,, I have that direct to the battery so it will charge my phone when the car is off,,, and it also has a 3,5 for an additional device ,,
All connections are made under neath the center concil, and phone cable comes out just next to the seat belt ,, right into my phone holder on the driver side of the council, I like it cause it always powers my phone ,,, and can't really see any wires
Old 02-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Propellers Up Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by H F View Post
I see,,,, so cars blue tooth can't handle streaming music then,, ya ok I have a different set for those who might be interested its called. I Simple is75..... Plugs directly into ur iPhone with two ends one end for the audio jack and one for power with a fuse,, I have that direct to the battery so it will charge my phone when the car is off,,, and it also has a 3,5 for an additional device ,,
All connections are made under neath the center concil, and phone cable comes out just next to the seat belt ,, right into my phone holder on the driver side of the council, I like it cause it always powers my phone ,,, and can't really see any wires
Yep the cars Bluetooth system CCC some month in 2009 and below doesn't support music streaming directly. CIC 2009 and beyond I think supports it. (I may have the year off)
Your setup is okay, but for me (and I'm sure I'm the minority on this) want everything to shutdown when I turn off the car.
After hearing of some iPhone plugs causing vehicle fires when its left in the vehicle overnight, I started to appreciate the fact that the outlets shutdown on the E60.
They don't shutdown on my X and I find myself reaching around and unplugging radar detectors and iphone/ipad chargers before I step out.
Like I said I may be one of a very few people that feel this way.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushane View Post
Incorrect, Bluetooth will allow it as long as they are different protocols. I have this same setup using my blackberry phone with a miccus mini bluetooth receiver. Audio is streamed to the Bluetooth receiver via the aux cable and phone calls are routed to the car's integrated Bluetooth as before. If a call comes in while I am listening to iHeartradio or pandora, the handoff to the car Bluetooth is seamless.
Awesome, just what I wanted to hear. Buying one of these gizmos tonight!

Keith
Old 02-24-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
After hearing of some iPhone plugs causing vehicle fires when its left in the vehicle overnight, .
thats scary... i never leave my phone overnite in my car. But thanks for sharing that.. Now I think ill add a second fuse right off the battery for xtra security.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
I bought the Griffin BlueTrip AUX and like it a lot. My AUX is in back of the center console and I could do with a much shorter cable since the power receptacle is just about 3 inches from the AUX port. Pairing takes less than 5 seconds and the music quality via BT is very good. Most iPhone map apps voice instructions work with this BT connection as well and fade out and in with music running. Comes in handy with POIs which never seem to be up-to-date on any DVD or HD based built in system. You still can follow the map on your iDrive screen if you have the BMW Nav. Also, most of the time I can leave the iPhone untethered unless it needs a charge.

2008 535i Monaco Blue
PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7,
NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS,
iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Trim,
Gray Dakota Leather, COBB tune
Old 02-25-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend700 View Post
I bought the Griffin BlueTrip AUX and like it a lot. My AUX is in back of the center console and I could do with a much shorter cable since the power receptacle is just about 3 inches from the AUX port. Pairing takes less than 5 seconds and the music quality via BT is very good. Most iPhone map apps voice instructions work with this BT connection as well and fade out and in with music running. Comes in handy with POIs which never seem to be up-to-date on any DVD or HD based built in system. You still can follow the map on your iDrive screen if you have the BMW Nav. Also, most of the time I can leave the iPhone untethered unless it needs a charge.
Which power receptable are you using, the one in the back of the console? How long is the cable, I'd kind of like to route it out of the console and up to the power plug in the passenger footwell.

Keith
Old 02-25-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
. You still can follow the map on your iDrive screen if you have the BMW Nav..
Question...... So ur navigation app from ur phone,, pops up on ur idrive nav screen ?
Old 02-25-2013, 08:01 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Question...... So ur navigation app from ur phone,, pops up on ur idrive nav screen ?
Highly doubt that
Old 02-26-2013, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
Which power receptable are you using, the one in the back of the console? How long is the cable, I'd kind of like to route it out of the console and up to the power plug in the passenger footwell.

Keith
I use the one in the back of the console. The cable is about 2 ft long. Too long for the back, but much too short to reach the footwell.

2008 535i Monaco Blue
Old 02-26-2013, 04:20 AM

Quote:
No, I use the maps off the BMW Nav DVDs.

2008 535i Monaco Blue
Old 02-26-2013, 04:41 AM
Propellers Up Front

Quote:
I use the one in the back of the console. The cable is about 2 ft long. Too long for the back, but much too short to reach the footwell.
That must not look too pretty seeing that from the rear seats. I myself like cords hidden.
I would pop that rear console off, throw the griffin in there and splice into one of those outlets. I would probably split the aux and do a sound test, if all works that would be sweet. No wires at all!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
That must not look too pretty seeing that from the rear seats. I myself like cords hidden.
I would pop that rear console off, throw the griffin in there and splice into one of those outlets. I would probably split the aux and do a sound test, if all works that would be sweet. No wires at all!
Fully agree. Don't like the exposed cable either. Still playing around with the Griffin.

2008 535i Monaco Blue
Old 02-26-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Fully agree. Don't like the exposed cable either. Still playing around with the Griffin.
I know they make 12 volt to USB power adapter. Anybody know if they do the opposite? Was thinking that there is a USB port in my console that powers my iPod when it's plugged in; could that be used to provide power to the Griffin?

Keith
Old 02-26-2013, 04:03 PM

Just ordered this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EV38AE/
It is right angle and only 7 centimeters ( <3" ) long. Looks like the perfect length. Really don't want to mess with the console, splicing, etc.

2008 535i Monaco Blue
Old 02-26-2013, 04:16 PM
Propellers Up Front

Quote:
Just ordered this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EV38AE/
It is right angle and only 7 centimeters ( <3" ) long. Looks like the perfect length. Really don't want to mess with the console, splicing, etc.
Cool, not everyone likes the idea of cutting factory wires.
At least you got rid of most of that excess cable. As long as it works for you and no one else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
I know they make 12 volt to USB power adapter. Anybody know if they do the opposite? Was thinking that there is a USB port in my console that powers my iPod when it's plugged in; could that be used to provide power to the Griffin?
I don't think they make the opposite, you could experiment and make your own. That would require the cutting of an unwanted USB power cable and splicing (that word again) it to an outlet. They sell those on eBay.
All that would sit in the center console and presto. http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=49562694298
My griffin is in the mail by the way.

Last edited by boramkiv; 02-26-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
My griffin is in the mail by the way.
Ordered mine earlier this week as well. Not expecting it until next week, since I cheaped out and didn't pay for quicker shipping.

Keith
Old 02-27-2013, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i Manual
I have been using the Blue Trip for a while and it does sound ok but i perfer the aux cable to my phone for audio, you lose some audio with the Blue Trip since its streaming through Bluetooth. I have the L7 sound in my car and i get less bass with the Blue Trip but when i use a aux cable to my phone it sounds a lot better. Its nice to just hit a song on my phoen and it plays without any wires and i still can answer phoen calls with my idrive but wired sounds much better on the ccc system.

2008 BMW 550i Carbon Schwartz Metallic, 6 Speed Manual, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Active Steering, Sat and HD Radio, Navigation, Comfort Seats and custom coding. Mods - 20 Watt AE, LED License plate lights and HID Fogs, StopTech drilled rotors.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Propellers Up Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR4LIFE View Post
I have been using the Blue Trip for a while and it does sound ok but i perfer the aux cable to my phone for audio, you lose some audio with the Blue Trip since its streaming through Bluetooth. I have the L7 sound in my car and i get less bass with the Blue Trip but when i use a aux cable to my phone it sounds a lot better. Its nice to just hit a song on my phoen and it plays without any wires and i still can answer phoen calls with my idrive but wired sounds much better on the ccc system.
This is the exact setup I have and what I wanted to hear.
Thank you for chiming in AFTER I purchased it!!

Haha, just kidding. The benefits outweigh the cost for me so I would have purchased it based on the bluetooth through idrive alone anyway. For more bass, ill turn up that low frequency Hz meter and see what I get.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i Manual
Quote:
This is the exact setup I have and what I wanted to hear.
Thank you for chiming in AFTER I purchased it!!

Haha, just kidding. The benefits outweigh the cost for me so I would have purchased it based on the bluetooth through idrive alone anyway. For more bass, ill turn up that low frequency Hz meter and see what I get.
No problem, i have my EQ turned up in a V shape and it still doesnt sound as good but it is still a good device to use. I went back to using the cable and i put the Blue Trip in my glove box to use maybe later or i might just sell it. I bought a 6 foot Griffin aux cable and i run it from the aux on the back of my center console along the passenger side seat and tuck the end of the jack in the crack of the seat when i am not using it. If i add a sub to my car then i can see using the Blue Trip because i can always crank the bass on the amp.

2008 BMW 550i Carbon Schwartz Metallic, 6 Speed Manual, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Active Steering, Sat and HD Radio, Navigation, Comfort Seats and custom coding. Mods - 20 Watt AE, LED License plate lights and HID Fogs, StopTech drilled rotors.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Propellers Up Front

Got the Bluetrip in the mail today and played around with it. Works well with the iphone 5. The phone connects to the Bluetrip and the cars bluetooth simultaneously. When the car is shut down and the device turns off it reconnects automatically after the car is started again once the phone is within range. You do lose a bit of audio quality and bass is reduced, but it's not bad at all. So because it connects automatically, I can place the device out of reach under the passenger footwell in the outlet down there and run my aux cable from my center console to it under the carpet. Sweet. I'm still keeping Sirius for now though. So far it's worth the $54.39 I paid for it.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Got the Bluetrip in the mail today and played around with it. Works well with the iphone 5. The phone connects to the Bluetrip and the cars bluetooth simultaneously. When the car is shut down and the device turns off it reconnects automatically after the car is started again once the phone is within range. You do lose a bit of audio quality and bass is reduced, but it's not bad at all. So because it connects automatically, I can place the device out of reach under the passenger footwell in the outlet down there and run my aux cable from my center console to it under the carpet. Sweet. I'm still keeping Sirius for now though. So far it's worth the $54.39 I paid for it.
Awesome! Can't wait for mine to be delivered, expecting it in time for me to play with it over the weekend!
Old 02-28-2013, 04:12 PM
Propellers Up Front

Okay, I just found one more flaw that may be an issue for some. Remember that this is in no way connected to the CCC. So the car has to be in key position 2 or started. Normally you can turn the car off, still keep position one and continue to listen to music. Not this however. Once you shut the car off, power is secured from all outlets in the vehicle which means...
No bluetrip!
You can just use the aux cable in the traditional form, or listen to something else.
Try not to use position 2 for extended periods as it will kill the battery in minutes not hours. All is good otherwise.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 528 i 2008
Did anybody try Tunelink Auto , is it good