Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
I got the short AUX wire today. Here is what the Griffin BT setup looks like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000305.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	364543  

2008 535i Monaco Blue
PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7,
NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS,
iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Trim,
Gray Dakota Leather
Old 03-04-2013, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Just got my BlueTrip in the mail over the weekend, and frankly, I'm a bit disappointed. But, I think my disappointment is because of my phone, not the car or the BlueTrip device. I was able to get the phone synced up to the BlueTrip quickly and easily, but the Bluetooth connection with the car disconnected. I was able to re-connect it to the car, and initially thought everything was good. The music worked (sound quality was decent, I noticed the lack of bass that others have pointed out), and I was able to make phone calls; the phone switched back and forth between the two devices just fine. I shut down the car to do some cable routing, and when I re-started the car, the phone refused to connect to the car Bluetooth; it would only connect to the BlueTrip. If I turned off the BlueTrip, it would connect to the car, but when I turned the BlueTrip back on, it would disconnect the car. Since I do use the phone quite a bit in my car, having the integrated Bluetooth active is higher priority than being able to stream the music. Perhaps with a better phone it would work (I have the HTC Trophy, which is a Windows Phone; not very good, but it's the one I get for free from my employer, so I can't argue).

I took the BlueTrip and installed it in my wife's car. It works great in her car (Nissan Armada), so we'll probably just use it in her car when we go on long trips.

Keith
Old 03-04-2013, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by legend700 View Post
I got the short AUX wire today. Here is what the Griffin BT setup looks like:
Interesting, your Aux port is in a different location than my car. Mine is located inside the console, under the armrest. I'm having to route the cable out of the console and to the power plug in the back of the console.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
Interesting, your Aux port is in a different location than my car. Mine is located inside the console, under the armrest. I'm having to route the cable out of the console and to the power plug in the back of the console.
My AUX port came wired that way originally. I also have the factory IPOD port (glove compartment) installed.

2008 535i Monaco Blue
Gray Dakota Leather
Old 03-05-2013, 09:03 AM

Just realized that my iPod connection does everything the BT can do, but better. It also keeps the iPhone charged and plays even without the ignition on, just the key in the slot. It even lists the Pandora song details on the iDrive screen when in iPod mode. Also running map apps with voice directions in the background works great. I ran Google Maps, Mapquest, AAA and Apple Maps and all give better voice directions than the BMW one since the turn by turn instructions use actual street names all the time and tell you at least on which street side the destination is located. This all works the same with the BT, but I was surprised that I did not have to jump through all the hoops the last few days to get the BT working, but already owned an easier solution.

2008 535i Monaco Blue
Gray Dakota Leather
Old 03-05-2013, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 528 i 2008
Also got bluetrip per op recommendation working great so far but not start my pandora shere I left off suppose to start automatically as soon as phone is in range , right. I returned the tunelink auto which was more expensive and failed autoconnection otherwise that would have been perfect solution as youcan charge and bluetoothstream from same wire and hide it in passenger footwell powersocket, stream on fm channel
Old 03-05-2013, 05:13 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
I'm not even sure what you just tried to say.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 528 i 2008
?
Old 03-07-2013, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi 6 speed manual
Same issue here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
I was able to get the phone synced up to the BlueTrip quickly and easily, but the Bluetooth connection with the car disconnected. I was able to re-connect it to the car, and initially thought everything was good. The music worked (sound quality was decent, I noticed the lack of bass that others have pointed out), and I was able to make phone calls; the phone switched back and forth between the two devices just fine. I shut down the car to do some cable routing, and when I re-started the car, the phone refused to connect to the car Bluetooth; it would only connect to the BlueTrip. If I turned off the BlueTrip, it would connect to the car, but when I turned the BlueTrip back on, it would disconnect the car. Since I do use the phone quite a bit in my car, having the integrated Bluetooth active is higher priority than being able to stream the music. Perhaps with a better phone it would work (I have the HTC Trophy, which is a Windows Phone; not very good, but it's the one I get for free from my employer, so I can't argue).

Keith
Keith, I am experiencing the same issue with my Motorola Droid. It's a pain in the ass to have to go into your phone settings and reconnect to the car each time. Since I listen to Sirius most of the time anyway, I'll probably just unplug my BlueTrip until I want to use it again.