Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-13-2013, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 335i Sports Package
BMW 335i Strut replacement

Own a 335i (Sports package) which just clocked about 70k miles. I gave the car for alignment to the dealer this morning and just got a call saying they could not do the alignment on the front part as the struts are worn out and would need to be replaced.
Could the experts here help me understand:
1. Is it normal for struts to be replaced ~70k Miles.
2. Dealer estimates the cost to be around $1,500 (). Is this reasonable or should I be checking some indie ones out?
3. Should the dealer be still charging me for the wheel alignment even though they could not do it on the front? I know I would be required to get it done again once the struts are replaced.

Thanks in advance for the inputs!!
Ads by Google
Old 02-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 99 328i
I think it's very unusual for struts to be so worn, you can't align the car at 70k. In my experience, the suspension tends to get softer around 50k and as the car ages, the ride quality will get worse. But unless the struts are leaking, replacing them is just a matter of preference, unless you get unusual tire wear. You can get cupping on the tires if the struts are worn too much. Unfortunately the old bounce test doesn't work any more. But I almost never replace struts at less than 100k. Get an estimate from an indy. You can get replacement struts from other companies that will cost less than retail from a dealer and a break on labor costs. But $1500 doesn't sound too high for a dealer. If you feel up to it, you can replace the rears pretty easily, because they are shocks, not struts. You will have to jack up the rear of the car and put it on jack stands, detach the shock at the bottom after you jack up the lower arm of the axle and compress the spring. You also have to take out the liners of the trunk to get at the shock nuts. You'll want to replace the strut mounts at the same time. It's easy to do. I found replacing the front struts on a BMW to be a real pain to compress the springs.

Sometimes dealers will charge full price just to check the alignment, even if they don't change anything.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:15 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Depends on how hard and where its driven .

Get these and have and Indy intstall them.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=675728
Old 02-13-2013, 03:59 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
It is perfectly NORMAL for your struts and shocks to be worn at 70K miles.
That and brakes are almost shot by this point.
Regarding your other question you should just a good indpendent BMW mechanic as referenced above.
Having replaced countless struts and shocks I can tell you it is rare for them to last to a 100K miles.
The unusual think about a BMW is that it is very difficult to tell when a strut or shock is done since the car still seems to handle well.
I have pulled struts with no compression in the tubes what so ever and the car didn't seem to handle differently.
One way to tell if you need a strut replaced is to remove the lower bolt on the shock (I am not going to insult you about jacking the car up and safety) pull the shock loose and test the rebound by pushing up and compressing it then pulling down after compressed.
If the shock is bad you can pretty much be assured the strut follows suit.
You might be lucky and not have this issue but to be honest I don't know how a BMW tech can tell if a strut is shot unless they do what I mentioned because there is no way to do this test on a strut.
Hope this helps...
Old 02-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
I changed mine 1 yr ago.

I blame our poor roads (memorable potholes) and the too-narrow tires (90mm tire height is not enough). 856$ later the ride quality improved tremendously.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermerized KC View Post
Own a 335i (Sports package) which just clocked about 70k miles. I gave the car for alignment to the dealer this morning and just got a call saying they could not do the alignment on the front part as the struts are worn out and would need to be replaced.
Could the experts here help me understand:
1. Is it normal for struts to be replaced ~70k Miles.
2. Dealer estimates the cost to be around $1,500 (). Is this reasonable or should I be checking some indie ones out?
3. Should the dealer be still charging me for the wheel alignment even though they could not do it on the front? I know I would be required to get it done again once the struts are replaced.

Thanks in advance for the inputs!!

Yup - 70k is quite a few miles for hard workin' struts. They're toast.

The good news is: Opportunity knocked! Look @ Koni FSD's for a much higher level of comfort and better handling than new. Designed for stock springs, you'll love the price as much as the new ride.

If you have sporting blood, Koni Yellows is just your game. Match to: linear springs. Deep Six stock suspension arms w/wimped rubber bushings; score M parts, including rear subframe bushings.

Get a grip - hold yer water! ~$1600 [installed] for a limited slip differential will rock your world! Follow up with M sways and you have what you never thought it would be - a rock solid performer, no fear.

Gotta ask yourself....how far down the rabbit hole d'ya want to go?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
It is perfectly NORMAL for your struts and shocks to be worn at 70K miles.
That and brakes are almost shot by this point.
Regarding your other question you should just a good indpendent BMW mechanic as referenced above.
Having replaced countless struts and shocks I can tell you it is rare for them to last to a 100K miles.
The unusual think about a BMW is that it is very difficult to tell when a strut or shock is done since the car still seems to handle well.
I have pulled struts with no compression in the tubes what so ever and the car didn't seem to handle differently.
One way to tell if you need a strut replaced is to remove the lower bolt on the shock (I am not going to insult you about jacking the car up and safety) pull the shock loose and test the rebound by pushing up and compressing it then pulling down after compressed.
If the shock is bad you can pretty much be assured the strut follows suit.
You might be lucky and not have this issue but to be honest I don't know how a BMW tech can tell if a strut is shot unless they do what I mentioned because there is no way to do this test on a strut.
Hope this helps...

Thanks for the advise. So the weird thing at the dealership today was that they charged me for the alignment saying that without doing it, they could not not have known that the struts were causing a problem. Only when they found the camber could not be aligned within specs was that they investigated furthur and found that the struts had worn out
I still think the idiots should not have gone with the alignment once they found the issue as I would end up getting it realigned after changing the struts again.
Does the explanation from the dealership seem correct to you?

I have like 0 experience on this side of things as this is the first time ever that I am running into a strut problem!!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
I changed mine 1 yr ago.

I blame our poor roads (memorable potholes) and the too-narrow tires (90mm tire height is not enough). 856$ later the ride quality improved tremendously.
$900 definitely seems to be way lower than what the dealership quoted me. Went to an Indy today and I am getting a quote of about $1100.
Did you order them online?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Yup - 70k is quite a few miles for hard workin' struts. They're toast.

The good news is: Opportunity knocked! Look @ Koni FSD's for a much higher level of comfort and better handling than new. Designed for stock springs, you'll love the price as much as the new ride.

If you have sporting blood, Koni Yellows is just your game. Match to: linear springs. Deep Six stock suspension arms w/wimped rubber bushings; score M parts, including rear subframe bushings.

Get a grip - hold yer water! ~$1600 [installed] for a limited slip differential will rock your world! Follow up with M sways and you have what you never thought it would be - a rock solid performer, no fear.

Gotta ask yourself....how far down the rabbit hole d'ya want to go?
I thi k you might just have saved me some good $$ man. The sale is definitely on!!
I am taking it to an Indy tommorow just to make sure that they are truly worn out and not a case of that damn 'recommended' list of items that the dealership just recommends.

Any idea how much would the labour turn out to be on these?
Old 02-13-2013, 10:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermerized KC View Post
I thi k you might just have saved me some good $$ man. The sale is definitely on!!
I am taking it to an Indy tommorow just to make sure that they are truly worn out and not a case of that damn 'recommended' list of items that the dealership just recommends.

Any idea how much would the labour turn out to be on these?

I DIY - if interested, will route info on shock/strut R&R.