Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535xi
JB4 and DCI installed

Just installed my JB4 and DCI yesterday and damn for the money you cant get a better power upgrade this thing is awesome.

So for any of the new guys who are wondering if the JB4 is worth the $ i promise you it is. You only need 3 tools to install it and a light. Its a very simple install process and theres a step by step youtube video that will walk you through the process. Now due to me knocking a hose lose i had some issues at first but thats my own damn fault. I have never worked on a car in my life until this little project.

Special thanks to Peder and Terry Burger for all the help and helping me getting it up and running.

Exterior: Avant Garde M310 wheels / Window tint / mtech halo upgrade / Sprayed tail lights & side markers / M5 front and sides / Front Lip Spoiler / Kidney Grills / Black BMW logos / LEDS

Interior: Custom gauges done by Simon

SELLING MY AR DESIGN CATLESS DPs
Ads by Google
Old 02-13-2013, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3980 View Post
Just installed my JB4 and DCI yesterday and damn for the money you cant get a better power upgrade this thing is awesome.

So for any of the new guys who are wondering if the JB4 is worth the $ i promise you it is. You only need 3 tools to install it and a light. Its a very simple install process and theres a step by step youtube video that will walk you through the process. Now due to me knocking a hose lose i had some issues at first but thats my own damn fault. I have never worked on a car in my life until this little project.

Special thanks to Peder and Terry Burger for all the help and helping me getting it up and running.
Congrats. Been thinking about doing the same. Being a newbie, though, I kinda wish I had more info on amy possible problems the chip might cause.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:09 PM

BY THE WAY, what's the DCI?
Old 02-13-2013, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmbl View Post
BY THE WAY, what's the DCI?
Dual cone air intake. It allows more air into the engine. BUT, its much hotter air. I had it, and I removed it.

Now the JB4 on the other hand, is a true miracle product.

JB4 Tuner; RPi Exhaust; Sport, Prem & CW Pkgs; Nav; HUD; L7; hardwired V1; M Trunk Lip; Chrome Rims; 17% Tint; Michelin PS PS2s
Old 02-13-2013, 04:55 PM

Pull the trigger on the JB4 you wont regret it. Im a newb too ive only had my car for 2 weeks and love it so far. Now im working on getting a Meth kit and charge Pipe next.

Exterior: Avant Garde M310 wheels / Window tint / mtech halo upgrade / Sprayed tail lights & side markers / M5 front and sides / Front Lip Spoiler / Kidney Grills / Black BMW logos / LEDS

Old 02-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Old Timer (Really)

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 535i Sport
Haven't tried the JB4, but love my Cobb AccessPort.

Was thinking today about installing a Dual Cone Intake (brand undecided), but after Polknole's comment, think I'll do more investigation. I seems to be somewhat controversial about hotter intake air ... but I'm no expert, so no more comments from me.

2009 535i Sport, Jet Black | Cobb Stage 2 Aggressive | Injen DCI | AR Downpipes | BMS Led Angel Eyes | Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
2008 528i (Retired)
2006 328ci (Retired)
1975 US Army (Retired)
Old 02-13-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnie35 View Post
Haven't tried the JB4, but love my Cobb AccessPort.

Was thinking today about installing a Dual Cone Intake (brand undecided), but after Polknole's comment, think I'll do more investigation. I seems to be somewhat controversial about hotter intake air ... but I'm no expert, so no more comments from me.
I drove Sebring hard on 90 degree days with 100 octane and a JB4 racing map tune selection. The DCI was in and it was insannely hot under that hood. It was killing power, not adding. So I took it back out.

Burnie, btw if you ever want to feel the difference of an added JB4, you can drive mine...I'm in Winter Haven.

JB4 Tuner; RPi Exhaust; Sport, Prem & CW Pkgs; Nav; HUD; L7; hardwired V1; M Trunk Lip; Chrome Rims; 17% Tint; Michelin PS PS2s

Last edited by PolkNole; 02-13-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
PolkNole - How's the 535i perform on the track?

I am toying with the idea of getting a 2010 535i 6-speed manual for a daily driver, wondering if it's tossable with good tires and more power. Love my m5 though.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkNole View Post
Dual cone air intake. It allows more air into the engine. BUT, its much hotter air. I had it, and I removed it.

Thanks. Had a DCI on my 99 Corvette but didn't recognize it by the acronym
Old 02-13-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
PolkNole - How's the 535i perform on the track?

I am toying with the idea of getting a 2010 535i 6-speed manual for a daily driver, wondering if it's tossable with good tires and more power. Love my m5 though.
Better than a Cayman S. :^)

Old 02-13-2013, 06:54 PM

Here's a video...sorry, no sound...but you can see two Porsches...the first is a Carrera, and I actually hang well with it, until the straightaway...then, you see the Cayman S, which was actually slowing me down. I didn't have enough extra power to pass it, but I'd beat it in a lap...basically a tight match with the edge to the 535i.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:05 AM

Nice vid!

Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Congrats!!!!! I am envious of the new thrill you gotta have from the extra G force pinning you to the seat. Is there any downside to the JB4? Are the motor and drive tranin components engineered enough to take the added hp? If my car is not CPO or under warrenty do I worry about the codes that are stored, or does this unit erase them?
Old 02-14-2013, 12:46 PM

The car can easily take the added power from the JB4. I believe that th engine has forged internals i may be wrong tho maybe someone on here can chime in. As far as a downside to having it there is none.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i, manual blk/blk
Great video!!! Nice lines, too. I am looking forward to the JB4 and have had my stock 08 535i with 6-Speed manual up at Sears Point Infineon Raceway and definitely held its own aorund that course. From all I have sen here, the JB4 doesn't have any downside. I come off warranty in October and until then you can "hide" the JB4 from BMW dealer.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:01 PM

If there is no downside to the JB4 then can somebody attest to how it affects gas mileage?
Old 02-15-2013, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535
On a long road trip I see about 1mpg less with map5 on. In the city I see about 2.3mpg less. I've tried it over multiple tanks of gas. I'll be honest the jb4 makes it hard to keep my foot out of it.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:49 AM

This is a nice discussion for someone like me with a 2008 535xi just at 50G. I am going to be working my finances to buy the JB4. I can't imagine not keeping my foot in it while the car is in DS

Thanks for the input and response folks. You're the BEST !
Old 02-16-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themust View Post
Great video!!! Nice lines, too. I am looking forward to the JB4 and have had my stock 08 535i with 6-Speed manual up at Sears Point Infineon Raceway and definitely held its own aorund that course. From all I have sen here, the JB4 doesn't have any downside. I come off warranty in October and until then you can "hide" the JB4 from BMW dealer.
So can you make a brief statement about the way the roll stabilization system feels. What an experience, I am jealous!
Old 02-16-2013, 05:59 AM

Here's a clip with my 15 year old shooting, and sound! It better shows how rough a ride it is when you're switching between all out acceleration and all out slamming on your brakes, and throwing in a few 90 degree turns...in this clip I forgot to turn my DTC off, so you can hear my engine fighting me in some acceleration attempts...

Old 02-16-2013, 07:15 AM

Looks like a significantly "stiff" adaptive response by car to conditioins. I really enjoyed the clip witih sound. You look like a pretty good driver.....but what would I know
Old 02-17-2013, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkNole View Post

PN,

The DCI is not making the air hotter. There is plenty of air entering through the front kidney grill, and testing proves that cold air intakes are a myth.
What your car needs is a larger FMIC to cool the air. The stock one is undersized, especially after you add a tune and increase boost. There's more air and more pressure to deal with.
Besides cooling the intake air much more efficiently, the larger diameter piping in an aftermarket FMIC also helps the turbos push air more freely, and this eliminates turbo lag and makes the throttle response much more instantaneous.
Installing an FMIC is super easy. It basicaly connects with silicone couplings and hose clams. There are 3 options for the 5 series. Helix, Cp-e and Evolution Racewerks. Cost is around $900. I have the latter with a matching charge pipe.
i installed it during winter and did not expect to see much gain in power due to already frigid temps. I was very wrong. I am guessing I picked up 20-30 hp and even more torque. But what i loved the most was the improved responsiveness. The engine feels so much more flexible now, it feels more like a naturally aspirated car. I also noticed it shifts much crisper, there's no hunting for gears or rubbery pedal. I should add that I also have larger downpipes and that adds to the combined effect since the turbos have less back pressure on the exhaust side.
I have done all my mods a step at a time, so I have a good appreciation for what each contributed individualy. The FMIC really surprised me. Plus the hotter the weather, the more it helps preserve power.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmbl View Post
If there is no downside to the JB4 then can somebody attest to how it affects gas mileage?
you will burn more gas if you drive more aggressively. Coasting at relatively steady highway speed there is zero difference. The turbos disengage and you run on normal combustion. With JB4 set on map 5 you can reach up to 17-18 psi of boost. Stock boost is only 8-9 psi, so this is basically double. Obviously when you add more boost it will also burn more fuel. But generally speaking your gas mileage will not suffer. I have gotten 450 miles out of a tank on a long trip and my car is fully modded.

Anyway after you install a tune you won't give a crap about gas mileage. You'll be fighting to wipe that grin off your face.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3980 View Post
The car can easily take the added power from the JB4. I believe that th engine has forged internals i may be wrong tho maybe someone on here can chime in. As far as a downside to having it there is none.
I was told by a BMW mechanic that the N54 engine is built with forged internals and tested to 700 hp. It has won engine of the year several years in a row.
Since 2011 they discontinue the N54, released the N55 instead. Same engine, but no forged internals and has a single twin scroll turbo instead of the twins.
The benefit of twin turbos is that they provide much more stable and linear torque at low rpms. When you add a tune like JB4, the torque curve gets lifted around 100 ft-lbs. This makes the car feel like a big V8 even at relatively low rpms.
Try entering a long hill and floor the throttle, compare this to a naturally aspirated car. The twin turbos add tremendous torque, pulling power, and the car feels effortless.
This effect is even more pronounced in turbo diesels.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceans10 View Post
I was told by a BMW mechanic that the N54 engine is built with forged internals and tested to 700 hp. It has won engine of the year several years in a row.
Since 2011 they discontinue the N54, released the N55 instead. Same engine, but no forged internals and has a single twin scroll turbo instead of the twins.
The benefit of twin turbos is that they provide much more stable and linear torque at low rpms. When you add a tune like JB4, the torque curve gets lifted around 100 ft-lbs. This makes the car feel like a big V8 even at relatively low rpms.
Try entering a long hill and floor the throttle, compare this to a naturally aspirated car. The twin turbos add tremendous torque, pulling power, and the car feels effortless.
This effect is even more pronounced in turbo diesels.
That is what I'm asking about.....

I appreciate the bit on gas milage too. It makes sense.

The longer I have this car and the more I learn from my friends here the better the car is to me.

Crossing my fingers for some finance to come through for the JB4. Thanks Again.