Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: RX-8
Servotronic or Not

After reading every post I can find across multiple forums I still don't know if I want servotronic or not.

The only thing I can test drive are s28i's which don't have the hydraulic steering like the x28i I will order will have.

I liked the steering of the s28i but I've read so many posts of people who love their hydraulic steering.
Confused...

I currently drive an 09 RX-8 and love the steering in it. I've never owned a BMW before so I'm not familiar with the steering.
Ads by Google
Old 02-13-2013, 10:33 PM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Servotronic is not necessary especially if you are used to hydraulic assist steering which I believe your Mazda has.

My wife loves the hydraulic steering.

Last edited by nospam; 02-13-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
In theory, the Servotronic hydraulic steering in the xDrive models is suppose to be a no-compromise option offering the best of both worlds. Steering effort is reduced at low speeds to assist in maneuvering. At higher speeds the steering firms up for stability. I have the standard/non-Servo setup in my M Sport and haven't even driven the Servotronic. My steering is firm, but only feels "heavy" in parking garages and tight parking lots. It is sublime on the highway and at speed on two-lane roads. For the record, I do not like the electric steering I've sampled in X3's and the 3- and 5-Series, and I would happily choose either hydraulic setup over any version of electric I've tried thus far.

I personally wouldn't consider the Servotronic unless maneuverability were a regular issue. (For the most part, it is not for me.) My last car had hydraulic steering, but its higher boost level meant switching to the X1 required an adjustment period. My wife drives an Audi with Servotronic hydraulic steering and she loves it. To be honest, I would have no problems living with the steering in her car. But my wife hates the X1's steering on the rare occasion that she has to take my car to work (parking garage). It really is a very personal thing. Sample them both if you can.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX

Last edited by HotRodW; 02-14-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: Varies
The assets of the hydraulic steering still exist with servo, great road feel and feedback nice heavy steering at anything past very low speeds (have it on the 35i). If you really want heavier steering at parking speed then don't get it
Old 02-14-2013, 12:23 PM

One other thing to consider. The M Tech steering wheel that comes with the M Sports makes parking lot maneuvering much easier. Easier than our 128i with the sport steering wheel (I may retrofit the M Tech now that I know the difference). If you don't get M Sport, servotronic may be a nice option. If you go M Sport, its unnecessary IMHO. If you go 35i, its a moot point since they don't give you a choice, servo is standard.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: X1
Agree with HotRodW totally. I drove a Mazda (Miata) for 14 years and really like its hydraulic steering. When test driving the X28i with non-Servotronic steering, I certainly found it very heavy at first and arms actually got tired at the end of the test. It was a big concern for me but turns out I got used to it in less than a week and don't even notice it now, in fact, the steering feels very tight and precise right now.

The drawback is that I oversteer and over-correct big time when driving wife's Subaru as its steering feels feather light.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 s28i X1
In my opinion, none of the comparisons above are valid in helping you choose... comparing an X1 without EPS to an X3 with it and preferring the X1 doesn't make any sense.

Either you need to find someone who actually has driven an X1 in all the different configurations (EPS/HS, +/- servotronic), or you need to find a dealer with each model you're considering, and test them out yourself. And preferably do it blinded (meaning you don't know which model has servotronic).

My two cents

Last edited by greyX1; 02-15-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyx1 View Post
....you need to find a dealer with each model you're considering, and test them out yourself.
+1
Old 02-15-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyX1 View Post
In my opinion, none of the comparisons above are valid in helping you choose... comparing an X1 without EPS to an X3 with it and preferring the X1 doesn't make any sense.

Either you need to find someone who actually has driven an X1 in all the different configurations (EPS/HS, +/- servotronic), or you need to find a dealer with each model you're considering, and test them out yourself. And preferably do it blinded (meaning you don't know which model has servotronic).

My two cents
So Ex-One starts a thread looking for input on Servotronic vs. standard hydraulic steering, specifically stating that he/she is unable to drive them personally. A few of us members take the time to comment in an effort to help out, and then you advise that the OP should ignore the comments he/she solicited, and go drive both for him/herself. How constructive was that?

And I did not compare the X1's steering to the X3's steering. I simply stated that I've sampled BMW's electric steering in the X3, 3-Series and 5-Series, and didn't care for them. The implication being that the OP may be happier with either version of hydraulic over the sDrive's EPS.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 02-15-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
So Ex-One starts a thread looking for input on Servotronic vs. standard hydraulic steering, specifically stating that he/she is unable to drive them personally. A few of us members take the time to comment in an effort to help out, and then you advise that the OP should ignore the comments he/she solicited, and go drive both for him/herself. How constructive was that?

And I did not compare the X1's steering to the X3's steering. I simply stated that I've sampled BMW's electric steering in the X3, 3-Series and 5-Series, and didn't care for them. The implication being that the OP may be happier with either version of hydraulic over the sDrive's EPS.
Yeah, you're right, I was maybe too quick to jump in with my comment. I didn't notice he/she is unable to test drive any X1's. But I'm confused about what you were getting at, because in your X1 you have EPS, not hydraulic steering, which it seems you're happy with. When you say you didn't like the "electric steering" in the X3 and 3/5 series sedans, are you talking about assist devices like servotronic? Pretty much everything is going over to EPS now.

Back to the point though.... I think that if you're about to plunk down $40k for a car you should do your best to test out the options so you don't end up regretting some little thing - if that requires a little more leg work like driving a few hours to a dealer that has one or two on the lot then I think it would really pay off in the years to follow. But if you can't, you can't, and if you are going to rely on the forum then you should really filter the info that comes in from all over down to what is really valuable.

Personally, we have the EPS without servotronic and I think it feels totally fine under normal driving conditions fine in RWD configuration. Wish I could have tested the hydraulic in RWD but it doesn't exist... Servotronic seems like just another gizmo to go out after a few years.

Last edited by greyX1; 02-15-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:28 PM

Yeah I wish there was an X28i with servo and without within 200 miles but there simply isn't in the south. Everyone's driving s28i's.

I want the AWD for the few trips I make up north every year but want RWD feel 95% of the time which is why I want an M Sport x28i.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyX1 View Post
YBut I'm confused about what you were getting at, because in your X1 you have EPS, not hydraulic steering, which it seems you're happy with.
Well that explains some of the confusion. To clarify, I have an xDrive28i, so it's the standard hydraulic steering without the Servotronic option. And yes - I am happy with it. I can only speculate that I would be OK with the Servo hydraulic, but it's unlikely that I'd like it better than what I have - at least most of the time. Based on my experiences with EPS in other models, I also speculated that I would prefer either hydraulic option to EPS, which I admit is a moot point since it's not available on the xDrive anyway.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 02-15-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-One View Post
Yeah I wish there was an X28i with servo and without within 200 miles but there simply isn't in the south. Everyone's driving s28i's.

I want the AWD for the few trips I make up north every year but want RWD feel 95% of the time which is why I want an M Sport x28i.
Just test drive a 35i to evaluate servo as it is standard.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:54 PM
Missing German roads

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive35i
For servotronic, I was planning on the 28 for some time and I wasn't sure I'd like the servotronic but after driving the 35 I really didn't mind servotronic at all, and I was expecting to be quite unhappy with it. For servotronics it's actually pretty good.

Quote:
So you know, the M Sport is basically cosmetic... The M Sport package doesn't have any more handling performance or even rear wheel biast than a non M Sport except in one small condition which is accelerating hard and turning at the same time at speeds between something like 29mph and 57mph, and that's a software modification which can likely be set via coding on any X1 (Still waiting for our coding!). It gives a little brake to the inside rear wheel to simulate a limited slip with rwd attitude but I'd reallty be curious how much it really does and if it helps or hurt corning performance. But M Sport X1's do look very nice.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:39 AM

Isn't the MSport AWD an 80/20 split in power to rear wheels vs. front?

I'm scared to test drive a 35i because I know I'll fall in love with the power and then be even more conflicted as to what I order.

I really need the extra mpg's since I commute 90 miles round trip a day.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: Varies
M sport also has IMHO improved suspension (less body roll), and higher speed limiter. It's true, you might not want to drive the 35 if you really do not want to be tempted by it, I know it swayed me but I am not as much concerned by mpgs as driving enjoyment
Old 02-16-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Isn't the MSport AWD an 80/20 split in power to rear wheels vs. front?

I'm scared to test drive a 35i because I know I'll fall in love with the power and then be even more conflicted as to what I order.

I really need the extra mpg's since I commute 90 miles round trip a day.
Only the x-drive, not RWD. but it looks like you're trending towards x-drive.

The 2.0L N20 engine is awesome. it sounds like a little diesel engine until you punch it and it lets out a nice little growl and kicks you in the pants. even more fun with the BMS tune ($400).