Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-13-2013, 09:19 PM
z10 z10 is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 87
Mein Auto: 650i
35k miles...time for new brake rotors?

I have 6 days left on my warranty so,I took my 09 in today to have the brake pads changed before the warranty expires. The dealer changed all the pads and all of the rotors.

I bought this car used back in June with 28k miles. It's now driven mostly by my wife as her DD. If I need to drive something hard I drive my C6 Z06. So the 650 is not exactly driven hard.

What I want to know is changing rotors on all 4 corners normal at 35k miles?

Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 02-13-2013, 09:22 PM
mr29 mr29 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: ohio
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 574
Mein Auto: bmw
sounds right if they are runflats

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 PM
z10 z10 is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 87
Mein Auto: 650i
What does running run flats have to do with brake rotors wearing out? I must be missing something?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-13-2013, 09:33 PM
mr29 mr29 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: ohio
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 574
Mein Auto: bmw
more so the brakes i meant was thinking of something else.35k sounds right probably shoulda been changed at 2 to 3 years old.i missed the part you said you got it with 28k on it.yea coulda been if the last owner drive it hard.ive found between 3 to 4 years your need new brakes on most cars and rotors if something odd happened or driven hard. i also ask to see stuff before its replaced
Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App

Last edited by mr29; 02-13-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-13-2013, 09:33 PM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,292
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by z10 View Post
I have 6 days left on my warranty so,I took my 09 in today to have the brake pads changed before the warranty expires. The dealer changed all the pads and all of the rotors.

I bought this car used back in June with 28k miles. It's now driven mostly by my wife as her DD. If I need to drive something hard I drive my C6 Z06. So the 650 is not exactly driven hard.

What I want to know is changing rotors on all 4 corners normal at 35k miles?
Sounds like the dealer knew he could do the replacement and get paid. He made some extra $$$ and you got new rotors.

Does the work order say "Warped" or anything like that?
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-13-2013, 09:38 PM
z10 z10 is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 87
Mein Auto: 650i
Quote from Invoice:

"Replaced front and rear bake pads, rotors, and sensors. Frt pads at 3mm, rear pads at 3mm. Frt rotors at 22.3mm and rear rotors at 28.1mm."

Seems strange that the front and rear pads would be at 3mm all the way around. My experience tells me that fronts wear faster than rears.

Understand I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to find out if I need to expect the same thing at 70k miles?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-13-2013, 09:40 PM
mr29 mr29 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: ohio
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 574
Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by z10 View Post
Quote from Invoice:

"Replaced front and rear bake pads, rotors, and sensors. Frt pads at 3mm, rear pads at 3mm. Frt rotors at 22.3mm and rear rotors at 28.1mm."

Seems strange that the front and rear pads would be at 3mm all the way around. My experience tells me that fronts wear faster than rears.

Understand I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to find out if I need to expect the same thing at 70k miles?
every 3 to 4 years id have them replaced based on miles and wear .i would say yes seems accurate at 70k

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-13-2013, 10:03 PM
z10 z10 is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 87
Mein Auto: 650i
So are you saying 35k is normal? Or...70k?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-13-2013, 10:04 PM
mr29 mr29 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: ohio
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 574
Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by z10 View Post
So are you saying 35k is normal? Or...70k?
35k is normal for brakes. rotors shouldn't be that beat up unless it was driven hard

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App

Last edited by mr29; 02-13-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 PM
z10 z10 is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 87
Mein Auto: 650i
Wow!!! what are these things made out of?......... That's horrible for a non tracked car. My C6 has 30k on it and it's no where near needing rotors, and it's not exactly a commuter car.

I smell BMW tax.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 PM
mr29 mr29 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: ohio
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 574
Mein Auto: bmw
I'd be looking at the brakes they just put on to ensure they aren't cheap ones that will fail early. at 70 k you should need new brakes but not rotors

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-13-2013, 10:30 PM
Yorgi's Avatar
Yorgi Yorgi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,449
Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
35K is probably normal for rotor life. The car has 360HP and weighs 4,200lb. You will go through a lot of pads and tires if you drive even moderately hard.

3mm is the min thickness for pads and I typically do not let my pads get that low. Pads are 12mm thick when new. You were probably on your second set of pads in the front and on the original pads at the rear. Rears tend to wear at about half the rate as the fronts.

The front rotors were way below the min thickness which is 28.4mm. Rotors typically last for 2 sets of pads.
__________________
Straight lines are for fast cars...turns are for fast drivers
'04 M3 - track
'06 650i Cab - daily driver
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-14-2013, 05:01 AM
Mulchman's Avatar
Mulchman Mulchman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Valley Forge, PA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 532
Mein Auto: '07 650i
I did rotors and pads around 55k because I wanted to know exactly what I had on my car and how old it was. I didn't even bothering to measure. New is new.

BTW - What is a C6?
__________________
'07 650i Coupe - Black Sapphire Metallic
M6 bumpers, skirts & wheels
BMW M Cross Spoke Composite 101 Rims 20"
HUD, Comfort Access

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-14-2013, 05:33 AM
daytona745 daytona745 is offline
Registered User
Location: Port Orange Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28
Mein Auto: 645CI, CorvetteZ06
I have to agree with you Z10. I have a C6 Z06 also and it is much more dependable than my 6 series but I still love driving it, especially since the top goes down.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-14-2013, 05:46 AM
gregb's Avatar
gregb gregb is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Marietta, GA
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 955
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
35K is probably normal for rotor life. The car has 360HP and weighs 4,200lb. You will go through a lot of pads and tires if you drive even moderately hard.

3mm is the min thickness for pads and I typically do not let my pads get that low. Pads are 12mm thick when new. You were probably on your second set of pads in the front and on the original pads at the rear. Rears tend to wear at about half the rate as the fronts.

The front rotors were way below the min thickness which is 28.4mm. Rotors typically last for 2 sets of pads.
Thanks for clarifying and adding helpful information to this thread!!
__________________
Regards, Greg


'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-14-2013, 09:44 AM
z10 z10 is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 87
Mein Auto: 650i
BTW - What is a C6?[/QUOTE]

6th Generation Corvette. Z06=505hp.

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-14-2013, 09:46 AM
z10 z10 is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 87
Mein Auto: 650i
[QUOTE=Yorgi;7380399]35K is probably normal for rotor life. The car has 360HP and weighs 4,200lb. You will go through a lot of pads and tires if you drive even moderately hard.

So what your saying is the car is underpowered and over weight?

Just messin with you. Thanks for the info.

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-14-2013, 10:30 AM
07 E63650i's Avatar
07 E63650i 07 E63650i is offline
Living in Fast Forward
Location: Southern California, USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,990
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by z10 View Post
BTW - What is a C6?
6th Generation Corvette. Z06=505hp.

[/QUOTE]

Sweet Z06!
__________________
Once a 6'er, always a 6'er.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Yorgi's Avatar
Yorgi Yorgi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,449
Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
double post

Last edited by Yorgi; 02-14-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: double post
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Yorgi's Avatar
Yorgi Yorgi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,449
Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by z10 View Post
So what your saying is the car is underpowered and over weight?

Just messin with you. Thanks for the info.

Yes, very overweight. I'd say enough power for a GT.

Love the Z06, drove one on the track a few years ago. The grin it put on my face lasted a few days. My next track car will be a Z06 or a GT3.
__________________
Straight lines are for fast cars...turns are for fast drivers
'04 M3 - track
'06 650i Cab - daily driver
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-14-2013, 11:13 AM
z10 z10 is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 87
Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
Yes, very overweight. I'd say enough power for a GT.

Love the Z06, drove one on the track a few years ago. The grin it put on my face lasted a few days. My next track car will be a Z06 or a GT3.
05

I've enjoyed them both. But I always seem to gravitate to the Z06. I've owned the car for about 3.5 years and put about 27k miles on it in that time. It's been absolutely rock solid with zero problems. Something about 505hp and 485ftlb of torque that are adicting.

Oh, and it returns about 28mpg on the highway. It's our "Economy Car"
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-14-2013, 11:54 AM
daytona745 daytona745 is offline
Registered User
Location: Port Orange Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28
Mein Auto: 645CI, CorvetteZ06
I didn't have a GT3 but I had a 911 Carrera 2. No comparison between that car and the Z06. The GT3 is a lot different than the Carrera 2 though. You think maintenance on a 6 series is high, try the Porsche and you'll wish you had the BMW back.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-18-2013, 12:10 AM
07 E63650i's Avatar
07 E63650i 07 E63650i is offline
Living in Fast Forward
Location: Southern California, USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,990
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona745 View Post
I didn't have a GT3 but I had a 911 Carrera 2. No comparison between that car and the Z06. The GT3 is a lot different than the Carrera 2 though. You think maintenance on a 6 series is high, try the Porsche and you'll wish you had the BMW back.
The Porsche must be that expensive to own? I was about to think that it was only BMW or Mercedes.
__________________
Once a 6'er, always a 6'er.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-18-2013, 12:12 AM
07 E63650i's Avatar
07 E63650i 07 E63650i is offline
Living in Fast Forward
Location: Southern California, USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,990
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by z10 View Post
05

I've enjoyed them both. But I always seem to gravitate to the Z06. I've owned the car for about 3.5 years and put about 27k miles on it in that time. It's been absolutely rock solid with zero problems. Something about 505hp and 485ftlb of torque that are adicting.

Oh, and it returns about 28mpg on the highway. It's our "Economy Car"
Honestly, I was never a big fan of Vettes, but the C6 Z06 changed it all for me. A dream car for the track enthusiast. You are lucky to have one!
__________________
Once a 6'er, always a 6'er.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-18-2013, 12:22 AM
Nitrogen's Avatar
Nitrogen Nitrogen is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Central California
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 427
Mein Auto: BMW 650i Convertible
That's it all of you stop this is a 6er forum . Stop wanting the Z06. It's a great racer but we are die hard 6er people.
I think ....Man that Z06 looks sick. I think I want ...... never mind I am getting sucked into the black hole as well .....no.......no....I ...will .....not give in .....
__________________
Sent Via iPhone using BimmerApp
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms