Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam View Post
As with all things in life, there will be compromises that you'll have to account for. I see that you have an Acura TSX from your signature. Going from that to a BMW is a huge step and it's really all about what's important to you. For the amount of money yo're going to spend, you could always just get the TL and call it a day. It'll be pretty reliable but doesn't look at good and doesn't handle as well and doesn't carry the same brand respect. ...but with getting your new BMW, that you may (will) encounter some problems along the way. If you don't want to deal with the problems, turn back now. But if you're good with a really nice car that handles nicely, looks great and has brand respect, stick to your guns and enjoy the feel of the N55 or i-4 (forgot engine code) under your right foot. No matter what the Acura can do, it still won't match the feeling of the 328 or 335.
It seems to me that both Toyota and Honda have gone downhill and now Kia, Hyundai, and Subaru are eating their lunch.

A key point here is both Honda (Acura) and Toyota (Lexus) are relatively simple cars with no big wiz features like a BMW or Mercedes. The tend to let technology settle for several years and then they stick it in a car for a decade or more. Yet the amount of issues these basic transports have is on par with BMW. As simple as a Honda is using parts from two decades ago, why do they have any issues at all?

Meanwhile you have BMW switching out engines, trannys, iDrive, etc. mid model cycle. Constant change to appease the customer base and lead the industry but a Honda is better because it has fewer issues in a car that uses the same engine and tranny from 1988?

Last edited by chuck92116; 02-15-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: '08 Montego Blue 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92116 View Post
It seems to me that both Toyota and Honda have gone downhill and now Kia, Hyundai, and Subaru are eating their lunch.

A key point here is both Honda (Acura) and Toyota (Lexus) are relatively simple cars with no big wiz features like a BMW or Mercedes. The tend to let technology settle for several years and then they stick it in a car for a decade or more. Yet the amount of issues these basic transports have is on par with BMW. As simple as a Honda is using parts from two decades ago, why do they have any issues at all?

Meanwhile you have BMW switching out engines, trannys, iDrive, etc. mid model cycle. Constant change to appease the customer base and lead the industry but a Honda is better because it has fewer issues in a car that uses the same engine and tranny from 1988?
I'm not sure I can agree with your various statements as they appears to be more opinion than fact. Since when is a Kia or Subraru better than a Toyota? Granted Hyundai has made great strides but even they don't receive the same respect that a Toyota or Honda does.

As far as technology, please elaborate on where you state that Lexus are relatively simple cars. Of course Toyota and Honda are because they're cars that are sold to a different class of people. People buying a Camry or Accord are not necesaarily looking for night vision nor have the money to pay for such an option. People cross shopping a Camry or Accord aren't looking for expesnive stereo systems because they don't have the money to pay for them. People typically cross shopping a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord are not cross shopping a BMW 3 series with this group of cars. Acura still falls behind all of the other major luxury brand so Lexus really is the only one in your example that would compete with BMW. The luxuries that they put in their cars are the same as those in the BMW. Please give examples of where you claim that BMW tehconology is far more complex than those in the Lexus. I'm not seeing that your statement is backed up by fact. Both have memory seats, heated and cooled seats, auto-dimming mirrors, night vision, auto-cruise control, back up cameras, back up sensors, voice commands, navigation systems, upgraded stereo systems, HID headlights, some models have LED headlights, LED tail lamps, direct injection, 8 spead trannies, some form of skid control, traction control, keyless entry, bluetooth, ipod connectors, rear seat entertainment, sunshades, headlamop washers, anti-lock brakes, swiveling headlights, auto-high beam headlights, folding mirrors, auto climate controls, some form of call center service, sat radio, hd radio, lane keep asist, blind spot assist, etc.

Last edited by bam; 02-15-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:08 AM
unbekannt

Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
what car someone chooses to drive, and what options they want, has almost no relation to how much they can afford. most ppl ive known with a decent amount of money (myself not being one of them) have had toyotas and camrys, etc. probably why they have more money cause they dont blow it on silly things like me. that said mine is not a stripper but doesnt have any of the tech stuff like iDrive, iphone support, cameras etc cause i consider that stuff gimmicky and not germaine to the driving experience. but i could easily have afforded it.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: '08 Montego Blue 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris328 View Post
what car someone chooses to drive, and what options they want, has almost no relation to how much they can afford. most ppl ive known with a decent amount of money (myself not being one of them) have had toyotas and camrys, etc. probably why they have more money cause they dont blow it on silly things like me. that said mine is not a stripper but doesnt have any of the tech stuff like iDrive, iphone support, cameras etc cause i consider that stuff gimmicky and not germaine to the driving experience. but i could easily have afforded it.
Yes, I realize that. That's why I said generally but the reality and fact is the majority of people that buy "common" cars such as the Camry and Accord buy them because that is what fits in their budget and it fits their needs. There are the rare instances where someone car afford a 90k 911 but chooses to drive an Accord. Again, they exist but are few and far between so to say that they have no relation is inaccurate. They are related for the majority of people but there are the exception to the rule where it won't apply.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
Would not call it staid.
I would, other than being a cute, perky blue. This is a pleasant change from the multiple blacks, whites and greys BMW offers.

The F30 is a very conservative car.

I appreciate you feel differently.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:48 AM
energetik9

Mein Auto: waiting for the M4!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam View Post
Good luck to all that think their BMW are reliable. Know what the positives of your car are and accept the negatives. Stop lying to yourself because we all know BMW are not reliable cars but they sure know how to make fun and good looking cars.
All I can speak from is experience, and while I am not naive to what is discussed here, I can attest to the fact all my BMW's have been reliable...TO ME. Two of those four have been long term owned and outside of the BMW warranty.
Previous - X5 3.0i with prem/sport
Previous - 2000 ///M roadster
----------------------------
Someone should invent a sarcasm font...
Old 02-15-2013, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
I would, other than being a cute, perky blue. This is a pleasant change from the multiple blacks, whites and greys BMW offers.

The F30 is a very conservative car.

I appreciate you feel differently.
It's a 4 door sedan.

How aggressive are we thinking it's going to get?

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 02-15-2013, 12:40 PM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:

Would not call it staid.
I don't think modded counts. Many cars look good modded if done right. From the factory the F30 is kind of dull looking unless it is an M sport with 19's. However, the same was true for the E90 IMHO. That modded F30 you posted looks hot. Love it lowered with the competition package style wheels from the M3. Nice.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:43 PM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by energetik9 View Post
All I can speak from is experience, and while I am not naive to what is discussed here, I can attest to the fact all my BMW's have been reliable...TO ME. Two of those four have been long term owned and outside of the BMW warranty.
I have generally had the same experience (except my N54 equipped cars). However, my long term cars are maintained to a modified version of Mike Miller's maintainance schedule. I have had many VAG products and have had MB products and, in my experience, BMW is the most reliable of the German makes. My last MB was a 2008 and it was horrid. I suppose they have improved their reliability in the past 4 years. Now that the HPFP problem has been rectified I expect to see BMW move back up to above-average reliability because that HPFP problem really killed BMW in the reliability surveys.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
I don't think modded counts. Many cars look good modded if done right. From the factory the F30 is kind of dull looking unless it is an M sport with 19's. However, the same was true for the E90 IMHO. That modded F30 you posted looks hot. Love it lowered with the competition package style wheels from the M3. Nice.
It has 19" wheels(same size as offered from BMW) and is lowered. That's it, all the M-Sport cars need is a drop.

I posted it because my 19" wheels are not on the car yet.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 02-15-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
It's a 4 door sedan.
Indeed, and very conservatively styled at that; i.e., staid. It is no more interesting than any other mainstream sedan.

There is nothing wrong with this, but it is in no way exciting or eye catching - even in perky blue, modded or not.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Indeed, and very conservatively styled at that; i.e., staid. It is no more interesting than any other mainstream sedan.

There is nothing wrong with this, but it is in no way exciting or eye catching - even in perky blue, modded or not.
Do you have examples of exciting looking mass produced 4 door sedans that to you are not staid in appearance?

Old 02-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Old 02-15-2013, 02:02 PM
East Coast Commuter

I dont think this is what jameson was thinking about. These are not exactly "mass produced". More of an exotic car. Different thing entirely and very different price point.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
I dont think this is what jameson was thinking about. These are not exactly "mass produced". More of an exotic car. Different thing entirely and very different price point.
You have a point (although we can debate whether Aston Martins are "exotic")...anyway, how about this one?

Old 02-15-2013, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i
I think these things are SUCH a luck of the draw...I had a Mitsu Evo VIII for 5 years, 85,000 miles and it literally didn't go to the dealer for anything BUT maintenance and any TSB's.

My BMW has been to the dealer for nearly 7 days...and BMWNA was nice in "compensating" me back for my time spent (all warranty related issues), but you'd expect the reverse.

I can testify that the Acura stat is pretty accurate...my TSX and RDX had nary an issue.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Racer View Post
You have a point (although we can debate whether Aston Martins are "exotic")...anyway, how about this one?

Thats more modified than the blue f30 I posted.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Do you have examples of exciting looking mass produced 4 door sedans that to you are not staid in appearance?
I don't expect a BMW to be excitingly styled. The F30 certainly is not. It is a BMW after all. It competes nicely in styling with a 2013 Accord. I am continually amazed by those that assert the F30 is "sexy," "aggressive," and describe its engine as a "beast."

I can only conclude there are many that need to get out more.

Personally I like that the F30 is fairly anonymous and slips in as one of many. It is a nice daily driver/winter beater. One knows BMW is not going for impact when they offer the car in multiple shades of grey.

I have no problem with others being excited with the styling. If you find it striking, that's great.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Racer View Post
although we can debate whether Aston Martins are "exotic"
You've got to be kidding!
Old 02-15-2013, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i
Quote:
I don't expect a BMW to be excitingly styled. The F30 certainly is not. It is a BMW after all. It competes nicely in styling with a 2013 Accord. I am continually amazed by those that assert the F30 is "sexy," "aggressive," and describe its engine as a "beast."

Personally I like that the F30 is fairly anonymous and slips in as one of many. It is a nice daily driver/winter beater. One knows BMW is not going for impact when they offer the car in multiple shades of grey.

I have no problem with others being excited with the styling. If you find it striking, that's great.
i'm adding the M Performance spoiler to make it look a little more distinct. it's almost too mainstream...
Old 02-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Quote:
It competes nicely in styling with a 2013 Accord. I am continually amazed by those that assert the F30 is "sexy," "aggressive," and describe its engine as a "beast."
The Accord still wants to be an E90.

I'm with you on the "beast" comments as that's like saying Steve Nash is built like LeBron. For the N20, I like to call it "peppy" or "perky."

Last edited by 408Racer; 02-15-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
You've got to be kidding!
I suppose Aston Martin is almost there (but not really because their cars are still mostly designed to be daily driven despite the optional missile launchers and ejection seats). For me, they're not up there with Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren, Pagani.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:

I would not call it(or pretty much any) 4dr sedan sexy.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:07 PM

Mein Auto: Tundra Crew, 335i
After all of this, I feel lucky to still be naive enough to think that my car is awesome...
Old 02-15-2013, 09:15 PM
///M Sport

Mein Auto: 2013 328i EBII M Sport
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king?

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats