Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-13-2013, 11:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 550i
Indy interval service - 2009 550

Taking my car in for a indy interval service @ 60k next week. I'm replacing the battery, spark plugs, cabin filter and oil change. I'll have them do a once over for any issues I need to bring to the attention of the dealer but besides that, any preventative items I should take care of that you guys have encountered? Tranny flush? Cooling system flush? I want to knock out as much as possible on this visit.
Ads by Google
Old 02-14-2013, 06:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A Car
Why battery?
Those things are quite expensive.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:52 AM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDriving View Post
Why battery?
Those things are quite expensive.
Eh, only the OEM batteries are expensive. Many owners have gone with Interstate batteries for about $150 and have had no issues, and at 4 years he is right in the ballpark for a new one.

The tranny flush should happen between 60-75k, if you wait until 100k it will cause more harm than good. The only other thing to look for is oil leaks common to the N62 engine - upper timing covers, valve covers, the valley coolant pipe, alternator bracket gasket (I know this is more common on the 545, but I know several owners of 750's that have had this replaced)

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 02-14-2013, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandalay View Post
Taking my car in for a indy interval service @ 60k next week. I'm replacing the battery, spark plugs, cabin filter and oil change. I'll have them do a once over for any issues I need to bring to the attention of the dealer but besides that, any preventative items I should take care of that you guys have encountered? Tranny flush? Cooling system flush? I want to knock out as much as possible on this visit.
We need to put Mike Miller BMWCCA teck-guy list of interval maintenance as sticky.
I've seen it once but can't recide all from the top of my head.

If you trust the indy shop, they'll suggest items that common for your car. Some is honest and only do necessary works.

Coolant flush and brake flush is the min on your car.
Tranny and diff flush is sensitive area, some believe some don't. I'll say if done correctly it's not harmful, always good to get rid of old fluid with some metal shaving.

valve-cover, coolant pipe etc only if they leaks, no sudden total failure from not doing it right away.

Check batteryr, no need to replace unless you start seeing high-dischrage or any funny electronics stuff.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 550i
Definitely replacing the battery because I am getting the high battery discharge alert, especially when the temp drops. I keep the car garaged but I still get the alert. In addition, there's a bad order (sour?) that comes out of the vents when I turn on the AC. I'm hoping getting the microfilter in the cabin replaced will fix this but someone suggested mold??? I wouldn't even know where to begin to fix this.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:17 AM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Quote:
Definitely replacing the battery because I am getting the high battery discharge alert, especially when the temp drops. I keep the car garaged but I still get the alert. In addition, there's a bad order (sour?) that comes out of the vents when I turn on the AC. I'm hoping getting the microfilter in the cabin replaced will fix this but someone suggested mold??? I wouldn't even know where to begin to fix this.
For the odor from the vents, do the microfilters first, but make sure to get the Activated Carbon Microfilters. They do sell regular paper filters that are much cheaper, but lack the odor and allergen elimination of the activated carbon ones. If that doesn't cure the odor you can have the system cleaned, I don't think it's that expensive either, less than $100.
As the other members posted, coolant and brake fluid should be about due as well, but check your iDrive to see what the next interval is according to the car - the dealer will go off of this when deciding whether to do it or not. I would do tranny and diff fluid replacement if you want to get it out of the way. Not sure why BMW calls it "lifetime" oil in the tranny, but I find that REALLY hard to believe. That said, better to get it done before 100k miles like I said before.

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe

Last edited by pjinca; 02-14-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2 BMWs, MB
More important than getting the tranny fluid flushed would be making sure there's not a leak at the mechatronics unit.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:31 AM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpens View Post
More important than getting the tranny fluid flushed would be making sure there's not a leak at the mechatronics unit.
Very true, but if you do jhave a leak, might as well do the flush while you're at it - "kill 2 birds.........."

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 02-14-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
If you are getting high battery drain alerts, then you definitely need to have the battery replaced. I'm surprised yours lasted till 60k miles, mine was replaced under warranty around 40k. I too was getting those messages before, as well as other weird issues...replacing the battery cured it. As far as the bad odor from the AC, I was getting that too, but dealer performed an "A/C deodorization" at 29k miles as a one-time goodwill. They also changed the microfilter at the same time the battery was replaced, and since then I have not gotten any bad odors.

2008 BMW 550i M-sport, 6sp SAT, Jet Black/Black Dakota leather, prem, nav

Mods: matte black grilles, 18% tint, GP Thunder 8000k AE, Nanoshield paint protection film, 15mm TMS spacers
Old 02-14-2013, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: A Car
Oh well, i've always used OEM batteries.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishoom View Post
If you are getting high battery drain alerts, then you definitely need to have the battery replaced. I'm surprised yours lasted till 60k miles, mine was replaced under warranty around 40k. I too was getting those messages before, as well as other weird issues...replacing the battery cured it. As far as the bad odor from the AC, I was getting that too, but dealer performed an "A/C deodorization" at 29k miles as a one-time goodwill. They also changed the microfilter at the same time the battery was replaced, and since then I have not gotten any bad odors.
Hope dealer didn't brag about how much the de-odoriser cost.

DIY,
http://www.detailersdomain.com/HVAC-Cleaner_c_81.html