Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 02-14-2013, 06:47 AM
Diesel Rider

Mein Auto: 335D
2010 335d SES

Hello Everyone, Finally I had my first SES light at about 21K miles, so I brought it to the dealer and found this fault code:

4B91 – Catalytic Converter Oxidation Plausibility

However the service people did diagnostics and testing and found no fault on the car. So they cleared the fault codes and let me go.

So did anyone see this code before or know anything about it? We’ll see how it goes.

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 02-15-2013, 02:45 AM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
Sounds like Gremlins!

I suggest you get some sort of code reader that you can see for yourself and reset it, if it is resettable.

It is not unusual to get nuisance lights (SES) that subsequently clear and go away. These cars are monitoring literally hundreds of sensors, points and data so if anything goes out of whack it can throw a code.

I personally added the ECO Garmin to my Garmin Nav device. It plugs into the OBCDII port down by your lower left foot, and uses bluetooth to send data direct to my Garmin.

I can scan for any codes that have activated and reset those that are truelly just nuisance. If you have a real defect it won't clear.

Be sure and make note of what happened and when it pops up again you have a much stronger suspicion something is definitely wrong.

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 02-15-2013, 06:20 PM
Diesel Rider

Mein Auto: 335D
A code reader will be surely handy. I actually contacted with Bavarian and Peake, unfortunately, they don't have any for 2010+ e90. Thanks a lot for the info, don't know Garmin Eco hd can do it. So how do you feel Eco Garmin on D? Did you have chances successfully reset SES?
Old 02-16-2013, 05:19 AM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
I have some posts on here showing how it is installed and what the readout looks like.

You can see various engine parameters in gage format, things like charge air temp, engine load, voltage, cooling water temp.

If you get a nuisance SES it will tell you what the code number is and it's description. It has been spot on so far so they appear to have all of the BMW codes (by the way these codes are supposed to follow an industry standard anyway). I hit reset and if it can reset, it clears it and the SES light. If it is a hard triggered code, meaning it remains active and valid, it can't reset and advises you take it in for service.

But at least you have a lot more info than a yellow warning light saying "SES". I usually am telling the SA and his guys what my problem is so they can't give me some BS story.

When I got the first DEF Heater Circuit code warning I knew exactly what it was and that it should not be anything critical for me driving here in South Florida, so I waited until my scheduled service to have it fixed. Otherwise all I would have is an SES light.

Definitely worth it and only $99.

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 02-16-2013, 01:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
(by the way these codes are supposed to follow an industry standard anyway).
FYI, there are two types of code one can get via the OBD-II port. The first is, as you say, codes which meet an industry standard and are common for all makes and models by law to support emissions testing and repair. But many vehicles, BMWs in particular, have other, additional proprietary codes which can mean whatever the manufacturer wants them to mean.

I'm not sure about the specifics, but I believe the codes from 0 to 1000 are generic and universal, while codes higher than this are defined by each manufacturer and may mean different things, depending upon the make and model of the vehicle.