Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: x5
you have to read this story to beleieve it -- lets see if BMW North America Steps Up

My 2006 BMW X5 3.0 windshield washer fluid was leaking. As many other owners of this model know this is a constant issue with this model. I had my independent repair shop replace the main washer pump on 2/4/11. I just took the car in on Tuesday thats February 12, 2013 and guess what is leaking again -- windshield washer fluid and the main washer pump needs to be replaced . My shop talked to the dealer who they bought the original part from and they REFUSED to honor the 24 month warranty . I emailed BMW North America and Ill post what I hear from them.
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 330 Ci ZHP
If the X5 windshield washer pump is like the one in my E46 it can easily be replaced. Its a pretty cheap pump from an auto parts store and less than 15 minutes as a DIY. That doesn't mean the dealer shouldn't fix it under warranty, but its not worth getting too worked up over it.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:37 AM

Just heard from a manager at BMW North America named Brent x 7938 says that BMW North America wont do anything about the part that failed 6 days after the 24 month warranty expired . Says they have a cut and dry policy and even if I brought it in to the dealer 2 years and 1 day after I purchased the part they would not cover it under the warranty.

In case you are wondering he did not apologize for the failure of the part generally pretty condescending. So im out a few hundred dollars for the part and the replacement . Told me to go back to the dealer and maybe they would help me out on the price.

Wow what a great company BMW is and thats a great way to treat your customers. A company who really stands behind its product and its parts.

BMW just lost a customer 4 life. The Ultimate Driving Machine Backed up by " go to your dealer and beg for a discount b/c the part was 6 days past the warranty.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:45 PM
A BMW, 7 Series of course

Mein Auto: LS460
Out of warranty is out of warranty. It is pretty clear cut and it has been two years. You can easily replace it for a few backs if your willing to DIY. Atleast its only the windshield washer pump not something too important or expensive, you don't even have to replace it if you don't want to.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:39 PM

Sounds like you work for BMW . Why not let others make up their own mind instead of judging ?
I guess it's more about the principle I made the appt 10 days ago.

Cv boots that tear all the time , sunroofs that don't work , keys that can't be replaced , window regulators that break all the time .... BMW is going downhill Believe it
Old 02-15-2013, 02:33 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler1972 View Post
I guess it's more about the principle I made the appt 10 days ago.
That bit of info changes things...a little bit. Still, a warranty is a warranty and the most I'd expect in your shoes is a discount on the new part.

BMW isn't going downhill...BMW is going mainstream.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Racer View Post
That bit of info changes things...a little bit. Still, a warranty is a warranty and the most I'd expect in your shoes is a discount on the new part.

Ever hear of "good will policy"?
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 05-18-2013, 07:24 PM
Quest_908

Mein Auto: 01 530i and 04 aviator
you have to read this story to beleieve it -- lets see if BMW North America Ste

I naught my 02 330ci because BMW na was so good to me. I had an 01 530i that caught on fire in my driveway with only liability and they cut me a check for it. Don't know if any other manufacturers would do that

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-21-2013, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.750 View Post
Out of warranty is out of warranty. It is pretty clear cut....
That is not my experience with US companies. As an example, I had a furnace where the motor needed to be replaced, about a month past the end of the warranty. The service company contacted the manufacturer and the manufacturer agreed to replace the motor with no charges for parts or labor.

Another example - Ford did a repair outside of warranty on a vehicle. It was some years back and I don't remember all of the details. I believe that I found reports online of others having similar issues and asked if there was a service bulletin on the item. Now I had to call Ford customer relations to make that happen, but it just took one phone call.

As a previous poster said, it is about good will. And valuing your customers.

I hope to hear other reports where BMW did show appreciation for customers.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:22 PM
The UltimatE46 Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2005 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches View Post
That is not my experience with US companies. As an example, I had a furnace where the motor needed to be replaced, about a month past the end of the warranty. The service company contacted the manufacturer and the manufacturer agreed to replace the motor with no charges for parts or labor.

Another example - Ford did a repair outside of warranty on a vehicle. It was some years back and I don't remember all of the details. I believe that I found reports online of others having similar issues and asked if there was a service bulletin on the item. Now I had to call Ford customer relations to make that happen, but it just took one phone call.

As a previous poster said, it is about good will. And valuing your customers.

I hope to hear other reports where BMW did show appreciation for customers.
Nowadays companies can't afford to do things like that. Those occurrences happened a while ago in better times - these days if a company like BMW helped a customer out like this, they'd have to honor hundreds? thousands? millions? of other claims that were "a couple days after." One exception opens the door to countless other "why him not me's?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Racer View Post

+1
Although their build quality of certain parts has declined. (Ex: HPFP, window trim on E46s, bumper brackets, etc.)
Old 05-22-2013, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i PPK sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKayo View Post
Nowadays companies can't afford to do things like that. Those occurrences happened a while ago in better times - these days if a company like BMW helped a customer out like this, they'd have to honor hundreds? thousands? millions? of other claims that were "a couple days after." One exception opens the door to countless other "why him not me's?"
I absolutely agree. In a business like the auto industry where product is sold world-wide, a line has to be drawn somewhere. If it's crossed to make an exception, sooner rather than later the exceptions are perceived to be the norm. A solid business plan is not built to handle these new perceptions.