Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 02-14-2013, 03:13 PM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Mein Auto: Duh!
Question Paris with kids?

I am planning a trip to Paris over Thanksgiving.

My oldest child (will be 17 and a Senior at the time of the trip) is thrilled. She's wanted to go to Paris since she was a little girl.

My younger daughter (will be 12 at the time of the trip) is less than thrilled She only wanted to go last year when I went because the Minecraft convention (Minecon) was in Paris... Disneyland Paris doesn't seem to entice her one little bit.

Any experienced festers with taking a pre-teen to Paris (or Europe)?

I plan to get an apartment, so we dont' have to eat every meal out. I've used the metro and am familiar with navigating the city core. Will likely stay on the left bank in the 6th or 7th arrondissement.

Last edited by ///M3lissa; 02-14-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 740 Li
Post this in the ED forum, you'll get much better replies there!

2013 740 Li
2007 G35 (trade-in)
2003 Z06 (Black, 50th Anniversary)
2001 Z06 (Torch Red)
Old 02-14-2013, 03:53 PM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Good Idea - Thanks
Old 02-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: It has two dipsticks
Done
Old 02-14-2013, 04:06 PM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
My 2 cents:
If the 12 y.o. isn't ready for it, and you have the option to leave her with someone while you go, then I'd make the trip with just the 17 y.o. An unhappy pre-teen can really make things bad for everyone. You can make a lifetime memory with the one who will soon be out of the nest, and maybe do some special one-on-one trip with the younger one in a few years.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
My 2 cents:
If the 12 y.o. isn't ready for it, and you have the option to leave her with someone while you go, then I'd make the trip with just the 17 y.o. An unhappy pre-teen can really make things bad for everyone. You can make a lifetime memory with the one who will soon be out of the nest, and maybe do some special one-on-one trip with the younger one in a few years.
My younger daughter was 13 when we done ED - she was trilled with all this European cities, food all experience. Maybe she change her mind when she see all attraction of Paris.

Check this amazing European Delivery with Kids report

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT

Last edited by MB330; 02-14-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:57 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Just show the tween this video and she'll get super excited about the trip.

Seriously though. I bet she gets excited once you're there.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878

Last edited by 3ismagic#; 02-14-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
I remember being there at ~12yo, and the Eiffel tower, Notre dame and Versailles gave the strongest positive impressions. If she has any interest in history, Paris is an awesome place, even for a kid.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
Do you have any money? Give a few hundred to spend on French designer accessories. Make it in return for something.

Is she into biking? If so, fat tire bike tours is really great.

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454

Last edited by chrischeung; 02-14-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:26 PM
Driver

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
I'm guessing the 12 YO isn't into art. If she was, the Louvre and Musee de Orsay would be enough to get her to go. The Palace of Versailles would probably be good with her; it works for almost all ages. Paris is probably more fun for adults than children.

Do you have to stay in Paris? Maybe take a TGV out to Tours; it's only about an hour ride, and then tour some of the castles and gardens along the Loire River. I think this would be good for people of all ages. Maybe check out a few of the wineries in the area for a little wine sampling too.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:40 PM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raven View Post
Done
Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
My 2 cents:
We discussed this earlier today. Both her sister and I want her to go. We're into doing stuff together. I think she'll enjoy it once she's there but who knows with her

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB330 View Post
My younger daughter was 13 when we done ED - she was trilled with all this European cities, food all experience. Maybe she change her mind when she see all attraction of Paris.

Check this amazing European Delivery with Kids report
Awesome - Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
Just show the tween this video and she'll get super excited about the trip.

Seriously though. I bet she gets excited once you're there.
Good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by khovik View Post
I remember being there at ~12yo, and the Eiffel tower, Notre dame and Versailles gave the strongest positive impressions. If she has any interest in history, Paris is an awesome place, even for a kid.
That's what I'm thinking too. Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischeung View Post
Do you have any money? Give a few hundred to spend on French designer accessories. Make it in return for something.

Is she into biking? If so, fat tire bike tours is really great.
She's loaded so she's all set with the shopping money Somewhat into biking, but the weather isn't quite so accommodating in November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregD View Post
I'm guessing the 12 YO isn't into art. If she was, the Louvre and Musee de Orsay would be enough to get her to go. The Palace of Versailles would probably be good with her; it works for almost all ages. Paris is probably more fun for adults than children.

Do you have to stay in Paris? Maybe take a TGV out to Tours; it's only about an hour ride, and then tour some of the castles and gardens along the Loire River. I think this would be good for people of all ages. Maybe check out a few of the wineries in the area for a little wine sampling too.
No, we don't have to stay in Paris. I was thinking a day trip to Chartres.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 911 C2S
Dont sweat it, been there with kids in an apt, at any age Paris is a blast. It is impossible to get bored in that city. Have fun.
2009 550i Msport (retired)
2007 E63 AMG (retired)
2005 750i (retired)
2006 Porsche Boxster S (retired)
2003 C32 AMG (retired)
2002 745i (retired, mistake)
1998 Toyota Camry (retired)
1997 Honda Civic
1995 Acura Integra
1991 GMC Safari
1986 Mazda 626
1982 Schwinn bicycle
Old 02-15-2013, 06:02 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
I was 12 when I first went to Paris - I was thrilled, you couldn't have convinced me it wasn't going to be awesome. If she doesn't want to go I'd leave her with relatives if that is an option - why waste the $.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 02-15-2013, 06:06 AM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurom View Post
Dont sweat it, been there with kids in an apt, at any age Paris is a blast. It is impossible to get bored in that city. Have fun.
Thanks. That's kinda my thoughts too, however this one can be a real stick in the mud at times. She's a really picky eater. I think that will be one of the hardest parts of all this. My french isn't good enough to order her stuff plain, so she's going to have to suck it up and live with what she gets
Old 02-15-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3lissa View Post
Thanks. That's kinda my thoughts too, however this one can be a real stick in the mud at times. She's a really picky eater. I think that will be one of the hardest parts of all this. My french isn't good enough to order her stuff plain, so she's going to have to suck it up and live with what she gets
There is plenty of meat, chicken, potatoes, bread, eggs to go around. You can get toast, jam, eggs over easy, OJ for breakfast. And who does not like a Nutella Crepe? Avoid the fancy restaurants, the tourist traps, and you will be just fine. The French restaurants in the US are not a good representation of the basic average French fare you will have in Paris. The notion that French food is only about Scargots, Foie Gras, or Cuisses de Grenouille (frog legs) is an american biased and limited one. And there are always plenty of pizzerias and chinese food joints among many other international options too, so options are limitless. Add some Crème brûlée and chocolate torte and she will be just fine.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:25 AM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Quote:
There is plenty of meat, chicken, potatoes, bread, eggs to go around. You can get toast, jam, eggs over easy, OJ for breakfast. And who does not like a Nutella Crepe? Avoid the fancy restaurants, the tourist traps, and you will be just fine. The French restaurants in the US are not a good representation of the basic average French fare you will have in Paris. The notion that French food is only about Scargots, Foie Gras, or Cuisses de Grenouille (frog legs) is an american biased and limited one. And there are always plenty of pizzerias and chinese food joints among many other international options too, so options are limitless. Add some Crème brûlée and chocolate torte and she will be just fine.
Believe it or not, she would refuse a Nutella Crepe, Creume Brulee and Gateau au Chocolate.

I went to French Culinary school and just got back from a week in Paris in November. Having an eater like her drives me CRAZY. Don't get me started

This will be my 3trip to Paris and 4th to France. My older daughter and I will be fine with the food there and I am pretty sure I can steer the little one in the right direction but you've heard that expression "you can lead a horse to water..." I am hoping a little hunger and no alternatives will do wonders for her

Short of that, as you point out, meat is readily available (she is a meat lover) and they french excel at Pomme Frites.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:34 AM

So you are a veteran, you will do great. Let us know how it goes.
2009 550i Msport (retired)
2007 E63 AMG (retired)
2005 750i (retired)
2006 Porsche Boxster S (retired)
2003 C32 AMG (retired)
2002 745i (retired, mistake)
1998 Toyota Camry (retired)
1997 Honda Civic
1995 Acura Integra
1991 GMC Safari
1986 Mazda 626
1982 Schwinn bicycle
Old 02-15-2013, 01:52 PM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Quote:
So you are a veteran, you will do great. Let us know how it goes.
Well not with kids in Europe, hence my post
Old 12-03-2013, 01:32 PM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

It went great! We just got back last night after a week staying in an apartment on the left bank of Paris.

The 12 year old who can be a stick in the mud was a real trooper. She stunned me a few times with how well she ate, with little complaint. 9 months of "preparing" helped with the food.

I don't know why I was apprehensive - there was no need.

Thanks everyone again for the advice