Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-15-2013, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530I
Exclamation Dark Smoke out of Exhaust

I was driving like normal and after turning and stepping on the gas, I looked back and notice that i had just created a very large smoke cloud to the point that people behind me had to stop because they could not see. I immediately stop to check what was wrong and my car was still smoking, but it sounded just fine. I waited a couple of minutes looked around the engine nothing smelled wrong other than the blueish smoke coming out of the exhaust. After like 10 min I started the car and the smoke was less, so I drove the extra 1/2 a mile home and parked it the car had stopped smoking by the time i made it home.

I pulled the spark plugs and they look carbon covered but dry (not oil wet), so I opened the oil service cap and smelled to see if I could smell gas or something and to take a look at the oil (hopping not to see that there was gas in the oil) and encounter myself with another situation. I found some very small chips in the oil cap. The car is a 2007 530I with 78,000 miles. I was not expecting to have problems with the engine this soon.

What do you think this is?
Ads by Google
Old 02-15-2013, 08:48 AM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Things to check: CCV and Oil Separator, I had similar situation on my previous 530 (which is part of the reason I have a 550 now) - it was running REALLY rough at idle, died on me a few times. I looked and the oil separator was cracked in half, replaced it and it ran like new for about 10 days. Then when I accelerated from a stop (like in traffic on the freeway) it would billow out huge clouds of smoke, but not all the time, very intermittent - the last week I owned the car it did it 3 times in 300 miles. Mechanic thought it might be valve seals ($6000 repair), sorry bud, I don't have better news for you.

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe