Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-16-2013, 07:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3_E46 View Post
I spent a while Googling this once. Some are far worse than others. During the same Google session a learned my Prius is *not* DI - guess that explains why many owners break 300K with virtually nothing other than regular maintenance (~50% needed to overhaul/replace the battery pack). Likely Toyota decided DI was not worth the expense/ reliability issues.

Since 2006 Lexus has had DI in the GS350 and IS350 but they combine port injection with direct injection. Googling shows no one complaining of build up on their intake valves. The E93 could well be our last BMW.. next is likely a Lexus. Saying that we've not had a single issue with our BMW in six weeks and almost 1000 miles

Might surprise you t'know Consumer Car Reviews finds BMW 3 series 2004-2008 among the most reliable of all vehicles.

Mine's had no issue since the HPFP blunder; don't expect any. Somewhat modified too.

Previously, I had a Lexus LS, and I have to say it performed perfectly - zero problems, desert to snow.

Yet I quickly grew to regret having it. Many years will pass before I have another, if at all. Mercedes is grossly superior, and has at least some character. Gack! Lexus. Not a fail, just....icky.

Odd....have noticed nobody at all moving from Porsche to BMW. This year, Porsche neck'n'neck w/Lexus for the reliability crown.

Name:  Hmmmm.gif
Views: 583
Size:  5.0 KB

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 02-17-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: 335is Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
I did fuel system cleaner 6 times every 3k and still got that
My understanding is that fuel system detergents won't affect the intake valves on the N54 engine because the fuel is directly injected into the cylinders down stream from the intake valves. The detergent will only keep the injectors clean.

My question is: how does the carbon get on the valves? From blowback during the overlapped opening of exhaust and intake values?
Old 02-17-2013, 09:14 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBinDC View Post
My understanding is that fuel system detergents won't affect the intake valves on the N54 engine because the fuel is directly injected into the cylinders down stream from the intake valves. The detergent will only keep the injectors clean.

My question is: how does the carbon get on the valves? From blowback during the overlapped opening of exhaust and intake values?
And PCV

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel
Old 02-17-2013, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
I understand doing this to address misfiring. But apart from that, what problem are you addressing, and how do you measure the results (other than a nice photograph)?
Old 02-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
I understand doing this to address misfiring. But apart from that, what problem are you addressing, and how do you measure the results (other than a nice photograph)?
If I still had an N5x engine, I would say for preventative maintenance, so you're not stuck somewhere and/or having the mechanic guessing about plugs/coils, etc.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
If I still had an N5x engine, I would say for preventative maintenance, so you're not stuck somewhere and/or having the mechanic guessing about plugs/coils, etc.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...66&postcount=6

Quote:
The build up of carbon will cause improper air flow through the valves..and will rob you of power, cause rough idle, detonation etc etc.
seems reasonable enough to me to spend 400 bucks
Old 02-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...66&postcount=6

seems reasonable enough to me to spend 400 bucks

Yes, agree. One of the reasons I didn't lease another one.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: 2010 335i sedan
Quote:
So I found an amazing indy shop inside the beltway paid 430 instead of the 800 the dealer wanted!!! I was more worried about paying and not seeing enough gunk at 50k, but what I got was stunning VIEW AT YOUR OWN RISK (You can blow up the pics by clicking)

NOW FOR THE AMAZING WALNUTS

could you post the directions please?
Old 05-02-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhouseN55 View Post
could you post the directions please?
What happened to the s6! Flemming Automotive in college park... Far from you in VA, You'd be better off calling rrtracing right outside Dulles
Old 05-02-2013, 03:46 PM

outside... looking beautiful...
ive been really good with it so far not reving it too hard until about 2k miles? ive been told..
letting it warm up in the mornings only been getting shell gas ect ect
the 335 got sheetz gas alot of the time rev'd hard right off the bat on a cold morning but not this time around with my new baby
im keeping the 335....actually just made a post about it
Old 05-02-2013, 03:48 PM

I want the 335 to last till 100k atleast maybe... hopefully...i thought about matte black wrapping it and painting the rims black...never had a blacked out car and i saw a flat black m3 sedan on i95 that made me get a little hard
Old 05-02-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I want the 335 to last till 100k atleast maybe... hopefully...i thought about matte black wrapping it and painting the rims black...never had a blacked out car and i saw a flat black m3 sedan on i95 that made me get a little hard
Should look into those laser interceptors things are a godsend and I have a hidden kill switch a cop would only find if he tossed my car hardcore.

Quote:
outside... looking beautiful...
ive been really good with it so far not reving it too hard until about 2k miles? ive been told..
letting it warm up in the mornings only been getting shell gas ect ect
the 335 got sheetz gas alot of the time rev'd hard right off the bat on a cold morning but not this time around with my new baby
im keeping the 335....actually just made a post about it
I only use shell gas . I don't even know where a Sheetz is! Isn't it only in Fredrick?

Quote:
Yeah I'm getting ready to have those yellow lights replaced next week hopefully I don't get dud bulbs.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 05-02-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:04 PM

I have a windshield mounted one...beltronics sti magnum its works well but looks a little shabby
there are some on the way to VT it got it occasionally not always but im just exaggerating it probably got exxon more than anything
the DTL?

the s6 is the best car in the world...in stop and go traffic the car drives itself...the car drives itself with active cruise control but unlike bmw or mb if u start drifting out of ur lane w/o the turn signal it will correct you and place u in the middle and give u a nice warning and massaging seats are a dreammmmmm
test drive an audi they are realllyyy stepping up their game
Old 05-02-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:

the s6 is the best car in the world...in stop and go traffic the car drives itself...the car drives itself with active cruise control but unlike bmw or mb if u start drifting out of ur lane w/o the turn signal it will correct you and place u in the middle and give u a nice warning and massaging seats are a dreammmmmm
test drive an audi they are realllyyy stepping up their game
Yeah I'm looking around, I built one after you posted it and I just feel if I'm going 70+ I like winning so much I should just buy a gtr and throw an alpha12 on it and never worry again Still outside car nuts everyone will probably think I drive a 350z
Old 05-02-2013, 04:16 PM

Get one or the S7... if you are really crazy get the S8...the RS5 isnt bad either but i dont like coupes...unless theyre super cars...
Yeah thats the bad thing about some of these cars...i bet most ppl see mine and think audi A6 2.0T lol
Old 05-02-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Get one or the S7... if you are really crazy get the S8...the RS5 isnt bad either but i dont like coupes...unless theyre super cars...
Yeah thats the bad thing about some of these cars...i bet most ppl see mine and think audi A6 2.0T lol
the s and quad exhausts help. same with the m and quad exhausts.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:23 PM

the gtr has huge quad exhaust and fenders flare like a mofo
the audi quad exhaust is small not like m5 quad but it sounds nice
Old 05-02-2013, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
I saw on the ALL Girls Garage tonight( I only watch for the technical support *;0) and they had a BMW in and suggested some sort of fluid circulation thru the intake method? Any one heard of that one. Cant see how you could clean the intakes without closing all the valves at one time

Hondo
Old 05-02-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
I saw on the ALL Girls Garage tonight( I only watch for the technical support *;0) and they had a BMW in and suggested some sort of fluid circulation thru the intake method? Any one heard of that one. Cant see how you could clean the intakes without closing all the valves at one time

Hondo
Won't work. No way liquid could get off that gunk.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
I have....heard of something similar to the fluid intake thing.
It's a tried and true method to polish intake runners or intake/exhaust ports on heads, and uses a paste with lots of gritty material embedded in it. And the whole mess is extruded through the runners under pressure, polishing them like nobody's business. Really works.
This is always done with the intake (or heads, for the intake/exhaust ports) off the car though.

Last edited by galahad05; 05-02-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
Ah, here's an example. Behold the power of google.

http://boneheadperformance.com/extrude-honing/

They call it extrusion honing.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35D, Former X1 and 335
Subaru's 2.0 Direct injected engine also injects fuel into the intake manifold at low engine speeds to address this very issue. I would like to see if it works. If you have a methanol system installed I wonder if running fuel cleaner in that would improve the longevity.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leekay07 View Post
Subaru's 2.0 Direct injected engine also injects fuel into the intake manifold at low engine speeds to address this very issue. I would like to see if it works. If you have a methanol system installed I wonder if running fuel cleaner in that would improve the longevity.
My car has not been happy running fuel system cleaner as of late and I've stopped doing it. Again catch cans and meth help but the bottom line will remain if you care about the car and plan on keeping it it'll still need to be done.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:23 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
If you venture to bimmerboost you will note that catch cans don't work either. Regardless of which vendor. I like them all good guys but they still collect carbon on the intake valves. Anecdotal evidence on E90 is a fellow with now 200K miles on his 335. Had values blasted at I think 50K and turbos at 70K miles. Changed oil to higher flash point and also changed oil change interval to 8K or so and has never had to do this again.
I plan to do mine at 70K along with water pump, tstat and oil filter housing gasket and the new RB PVC which will stop most leakage at boost but nothing works under vacuum normal driving. No cleaner unless injected into the intake will clean the valves. That is how Lexus gets by with no build up they do both direct and port injection. It continually washes the intake valves.
Subaru will most likely not have an issue since their patent done in 2010 was for DIT engines specifically to prevent build up.
I see no need to do a GC or LC on the build up since we all know it is oil flashed.

I changed over to OCI or 8-10K miles using Mobil 1 (not that Mobil 1 is anything special but looking for oils with higher flashpoint) in hopes of reducing the buiild up until I get to 70K miles. I have a borescope and plan to do that in a few months to see where I am. I have an SD card on my borescope so I hope to capture some pics to see how bad it is.

Glad the OP got this done and for the price that was a good deal.
This isn't a perfect car and I think the DIT intake valve build up will be solved but maybe not for us N54/N55 engined guy. Time will tell...
Old 05-03-2013, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: 99 328i
GM and Ford don't have the carbon build up problems that plague BMW DI engines. Here's why, "Haider, GM's V6 assistant chief engineer, explained how GM has designed its DI engines to combat carbon buildup: "We maintain great engine function and performance in our all our DI engines through an optimization strategy with our valve events," he said. "Our intake-cam timing, injector targeting and timing of the injection events are optimized to avoid direct fuel contact on the intake valves. This strategy keeps smoke and soot formation to an absolute minimum, which in turn prevents excessive deposit formation." BMW's N54 engine wasn't ready for prime time. Mike Miler the tech guru at the BMW Car Club says the N54 was a beta test of technologies. Eventually BMW will get this right. For all of us who bought N54 engines, it's going to be one problem after another as the production cars get older. My wife's minivan is 9 years old and has 120,000 miles and the tail pipe doesn't have a trace of soot. My BMW 2008 335 with 35k miles has dual exhaust tips covered in soot, some of which gets deposited on the intake ports and valves. The N54 is a dog. But BMW won't admit it made any mistakes. They never stand behind their engineering when the warranty runs out.