Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 03-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650 coupe SE, V8 4runner
So much for the new 2012 6 series bugs being worked out in the '13. All the advanced tech is great, but if BMW can't make a $90,000 reliable from a basic standpoint - as made famous in Apollo 13 "Houston we have a problem"
Old 03-13-2013, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
Of course all we hear about are issues, nobody ever posts about being problem free.

So I'll go first. I have had my 6'er since October with "No Problems".

A few personal thoughts.
1) Don't order x-drive.
2) Don't drop your car or put on 22" wheels.
3) Replace the Run-Flats.
4) BMW Injectors do not like dirty gas, use a quality Injector Cleaner every 2k miles.

Thx ..... I feel better now.
Dinan Shockware
Individual Leather
Merino Opal White
M-Sport
20” 373 Wheels
Nitto 555ZR-Extreme NON-RFT
Full LED lighting
Piano Finish Black Trim
Ceramic Controls
Imola Red M6 Spoiler
Imola Red Diffuser

Old 03-13-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeDaddy View Post
Of course all we hear about are issues, nobody ever posts about being problem free.

So I'll go first. I have had my 6'er since October with "No Problems".

A few personal thoughts.
1) Don't order x-drive.
4) BMW Injectors do not like dirty gas, use a quality Injector Cleaner every 2k miles.

Thx ..... I feel better now.

Glad to hear that - makes me feel better...........
Did you replace you runflats? Have heard other suggest the same thing - hate to have to buy new tires for a 90K car however. Really wish they offered choice of tires when ordering.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xdrive
Fuel injector cleaning should be part of BMW maintenance. I've driven my friend's 1987 Toyota Corolla in 2012 - never had a problem with his fuel injector. ... Just saying

2012 F10 550i M-Sport | Dark Graphite II | Hex Aluminum | Black Interior | Cold Weather | ARS | HUD | Side and Top View Cameras | BMW Apps | Premium Sound | M5 Style Spoiler | Rho-Plate | Dinan Stage 2 Tune | Dinan Suspension| Dinan Shockware | BMWPedals | 70% Crystalline Tint
Old 03-13-2013, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
Quote:
+1. While these forums are attractive to enthusiasts like many of us, they're also a resource for those encountering problems (of varying degrees of severity) who are in search of guidance and/or venting lol.

I've had my car for 13.5 months now, and I've had two relatively minor issues. While I have been somewhat vocal about these problems recently, there are two important points:

1. Both problems were related to programming (first, the double push of the engine off button, and, secondly, the drivetrain malfunction resulting from a software error) and were relatively benign. By that I mean I was never stranded with my car - just got messages telling me to get it checked out. Sure, I had some battery discharge and shakiness with the drivetrain malfunction, but the car always started and made it to the dealer without any serious problems.

2. A lot of my complaints have been a result of my dealership. Namely, not giving me a loaner when they had my car for a week and using the low power steering fluid as a scapegoat when I got my first drivetrain malfunction message (thus resulting in a second occurrence requiring me to being the car back in for the same problem).

There are definitely members around here who have had lemons and serious mechanical issues, but the sampling here, compared to the entire population of F12/13/06s, would make for a very poorly conducted study.

Cars of this nature are bound to have problems - it's part of technology.

Quote:
A few personal thoughts.
1) Don't order x-drive.
4) BMW Injectors do not like dirty gas, use a quality Injector Cleaner every 2k miles. :
There does seem to be a slight trend with xDrive, but I don't think all of the faults can be directly linked with this system. The evil sister of technology is complexity, and this does increase the potential for problems.

I am also weary of modifications to any part of the car. BMWs testing is very thorough and only applies to stock cars. I'm not saying that modding is necessarily bad - you just can't expect BMW to take the full blame if something goes wrong after changing a few components of these extremely complicated machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsilo View Post
Fuel injector cleaning should be part of BMW maintenance.
I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to engines, but inspecting and cleaning these components with approved products should be expected.

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Old 03-13-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
Glad to hear that - makes me feel better...........
Did you replace you runflats? Have heard other suggest the same thing - hate to have to buy new tires for a 90K car however. Really wish they offered choice of tires when ordering.
Well the practical side of me right now is dominating this issue. But if I lived in Pot Hole Country I would trade the RFT in tomorrow.

Will replace with Non RFT when the RFT wear out with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Nothing but the best for the 6'er.
Dinan Shockware
Individual Leather
Merino Opal White
M-Sport
20” 373 Wheels
Full LED lighting
Piano Finish Black Trim
Ceramic Controls
Imola Red M6 Spoiler
Imola Red Diffuser

Last edited by ShakeDaddy; 03-13-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Fuel injector cleaning should be part of BMW maintenance. I've driven my friend's 1987 Toyota Corolla in 2012 - never had a problem with his fuel injector. ... Just saying
Yes Fuel Injector cleaner should be included! I really respect my dealers talents and was told day 1 by the service manager to run a high quality injector cleaner through a tank consistently every 2K miles. He said the BMW injectors easily get fouled up especially when you buy various types of gasoline fuels. Makes sense to me.
Dinan Shockware
Individual Leather
Merino Opal White
M-Sport
20” 373 Wheels
Full LED lighting
Piano Finish Black Trim
Ceramic Controls
Imola Red M6 Spoiler
Imola Red Diffuser

Old 03-13-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
There does seem to be a slight trend with xDrive, but I don't think all of the faults can be directly linked with this system. The evil sister of technology is complexity, and this does increase the potential for problems.

I am also weary of modifications to any part of the car. BMWs testing is very thorough and only applies to stock cars. I'm not saying that modding is necessarily bad - you just can't expect BMW to take the full blame if something goes wrong after changing a few components of these extremely complicated machines.
Yes there does appear to be a trend with x-Drive. More chance for error with the relatively new feature and that's what we are seeing/ x-Drive is not for everyone. More chance for issues, creates more weight(180lbs) on already a heavy coupe and living where I do in a dry climate it just doesn't make sense and is easy to pass on and save $3500.

A lot of us create our own problems by modding and then blame BMW. When modding a BMW be "very certain" your not buying a big bag of promises and dreams only to be embarrassed later. If you like to Mod then go solely with BMW warranty approved Dinan products, it's the way to go.
Dinan Shockware
Individual Leather
Merino Opal White
M-Sport
20” 373 Wheels
Full LED lighting
Piano Finish Black Trim
Ceramic Controls
Imola Red M6 Spoiler
Imola Red Diffuser

Last edited by ShakeDaddy; 03-13-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Yes Fuel Injector cleaner should be included! I really respect my dealers talents and was told day 1 by the service manager to run a high quality injector cleaner through a tank consistently every 2K miles. He said the BMW injectors easily get fouled up especially when you buy various types of gasoline fuels. Makes sense to me.
When you say "various types," do you mean different brands (i.e. Chevron v. Shell v. BP) or something else?

If you mean brand, does that mean that sticking with the same brand is better for the engine? My dad works for Chevron, so I only use Chevron gas unless the dealer tops me off (in which case, I don't know what I get) or I'm close to empty without options (which has never happened). Just curious...

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
Old 03-13-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
When you say "various types," do you mean different brands (i.e. Chevron v. Shell v. BP) or something else?

If you mean brand, does that mean that sticking with the same brand is better for the engine? My dad works for Chevron, so I only use Chevron gas unless the dealer tops me off (in which case, I don't know what I get) or I'm close to empty without options (which has never happened). Just curious...
Yes I mean brand. Chevron is a great product but most people buy gas based on when they need to fill up or based on price. Not the way to go especially for BMW's. If you buy gas all over the place be sure to run a good fuel cleaner frequently at least every 3K miles, I do it in every 2K miles.
Dinan Shockware
Individual Leather
Merino Opal White
M-Sport
20” 373 Wheels
Full LED lighting
Piano Finish Black Trim
Ceramic Controls
Imola Red M6 Spoiler
Imola Red Diffuser

Old 03-13-2013, 08:55 PM

Good to know. Thanks!

Old 03-14-2013, 09:42 AM

Interesting- have not heard of any direct injected engines being that sensitive to different gas brands. Does BMW make recommendations in the manual? All the major brands use cleaners & additives. Are we sure BMW is not using this gas brand/maintenance cover story to explain a issue with their injectors?

Last edited by mrjoed2; 03-14-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
I would be careful with tank based fuel injector cleaners. There is a lot of snake oil out there that will ruin your entire fuel system, and others which probably do nothing. The high pressue direct injection fuel injectors on our engines are precision instruments. They are designed to work with pump petrol without the need for further additives.

Most quality gasoline has sufficient detergents already mixed in. If you stick with the name brands you should be okay. Southy, talk to your dad. I'll bet he'll tell you that most of the fuel in every town comes from the same main storage tanks, whether by truck or pipeline. It's just the additives that differ by brand, and even these by a small percentage. So there really isn't a lot of "bad" gas out there.

The bottled additives are usually nothig but alcohol (which will precipitate water) or esters which are already in your pump fuel. I am not a chemist nor expert on this matter. So you won't get any further debate out of me. Do what you want, but I recommend some research first. I do know this: I have never added any of this stuff to any car I have ever owned - BMW or otherwise - and I have never had any fuel injector problems.

Let me add that my sister had her Chrysler in for routine maintenece and the dealer said she needed a $99 fuel injector cleaning proceedure. Of course she phoned me and I told her it's BS. That was 10k miles ago and her car is still running fine.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
I would be careful with tank based fuel injector cleaners. There is a lot of snake oil out there that will ruin your entire fuel system, and others which probably do nothing. The high pressue direct injection fuel injectors on our engines are precision instruments. They are designed to work with pump petrol without the need for further additives.

Most quality gasoline has sufficient detergents already mixed in. If you stick with the name brands you should be okay. Southy, talk to your dad. I'll bet he'll tell you that most of the fuel in every town comes from the same main storage tanks, whether by truck or pipeline. It's just the additives that differ by brand, and even these by a small percentage. So there really isn't a lot of "bad" gas out there.

The bottled additives are usually nothig but alcohol (which will precipitate water) or esters which are already in your pump fuel. I am not a chemist nor expert on this matter. So you won't get any further debate out of me. Do what you want, but I recommend some research first. I do know this: I have never added any of this stuff to any car I have ever owned - BMW or otherwise - and I have never had any fuel injector problems.

Let me add that my sister had her Chrysler in for routine maintenece and the dealer said she needed a $99 fuel injector cleaning proceedure. Of course she phoned me and I told her it's BS. That was 10k miles ago and her car is still running fine.
Good comments Bonz. If you buy your gas from various stations, problem is you don't know what additives have or have not been added into the petrol. My wife likes to fill up at Costco which bids out all their purchases from various sources. Where I live we also have a very crappy brand of gas called Valero. Most these days just fill up when it's convenient and purchase from multiple sources.

When the BMW service manager specifically told me to run thru a bottle of Chevron Techron every 3K miles I was somewhat shocked. He said the BMW injection system are extremely sensitive to deposits. He explained how most today buy their gas wherever. Couple that request and comment with the injector issues we have all seen, I do feel this is very good advice, in my case I'm going for every 2K miles.
Dinan Shockware
Individual Leather
Merino Opal White
M-Sport
20” 373 Wheels
Full LED lighting
Piano Finish Black Trim
Ceramic Controls
Imola Red M6 Spoiler
Imola Red Diffuser

Old 03-14-2013, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
I always used Shell... Won't even look at another gas station..
Old 03-15-2013, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe, 323i
+1 for Shell, but I think I'm going to get fuel injection cleaner just to be safe, even if I only have 7k on my Odo. I had a little bit of shudder last week after I filled it up the tank, first time it has happened since I bought the car.

2012, 650i Coupe, Carbon Black, Black Nappa leather, M Sport , CWP,DAP, IAS, 20" Wheels,
BMWCCA Member since 07/2008
Old 03-15-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias View Post
+1 for Shell, but I think I'm going to get fuel injection cleaner just to be safe, even if I only have 7k on my Odo. I had a little bit of shudder last week after I filled it up the tank, first time it has happened since I bought the car.
Go specifically with Techron every 6-8 tanks.
Dinan Shockware
Individual Leather
Merino Opal White
M-Sport
20” 373 Wheels
Full LED lighting
Piano Finish Black Trim
Ceramic Controls
Imola Red M6 Spoiler
Imola Red Diffuser

Old 03-16-2013, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
All good comments guys. Thanks. This has been on my mind.

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 03-16-2013, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xdrive
This fuel injector "sensitivity" is bogus. They should develop better injectors to handle the common fuel we may encounter. I always prefer Sunoco / Shell, but if I'm somewhere with low gas I will take what I can so I can keep moving. I think we paid enough to not have to baby these cars. Seriously, Nissan, Toyota, nor Honda have these major injector flaws. It's probably because they developed a product made for the real world.
Don't get me wrong, I know a pseudo high end car requires care, but that should be limited to more frequent maintenance. Not tip toeing around faulty engine components. I actually wouldn't mind provoking the injector problem in my car so that they replace my injectors and spark plugs with whatever seems to be working for those that had them replaced. Ever since my drive train malfunction error I'm extremely cautious driving far distances. All they did for me was fix software which may just stop the error from occurring but the injectors may still be crap. If they want to pass off sensitive injectors as the problem then stick with it, but saying it may just be software - so they don't have to replace components is just lame. ... Just my $0.02

2012 F10 550i M-Sport | Dark Graphite II | Hex Aluminum | Black Interior | Cold Weather | ARS | HUD | Side and Top View Cameras | BMW Apps | Premium Sound | M5 Style Spoiler | Rho-Plate | Dinan Stage 2 Tune | Dinan Suspension| Dinan Shockware | BMWPedals | 70% Crystalline Tint
Old 03-26-2013, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: Rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
Interesting- have not heard of any direct injected engines being that sensitive to different gas brands. Does BMW make recommendations in the manual? All the major brands use cleaners & additives. Are we sure BMW is not using this gas brand/maintenance cover story to explain a issue with their injectors?
BMW recommends BP brand for fuel in the manual
Old 03-26-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
this fuel injector "sensitivity" is bogus. They should develop better injectors to handle the common fuel we may encounter. I always prefer sunoco / shell, but if i'm somewhere with low gas i will take what i can so i can keep moving. I think we paid enough to not have to baby these cars. Seriously, nissan, toyota, nor honda have these major injector flaws. It's probably because they developed a product made for the real world.
Don't get me wrong, i know a pseudo high end car requires care, but that should be limited to more frequent maintenance. Not tip toeing around faulty engine components. I actually wouldn't mind provoking the injector problem in my car so that they replace my injectors and spark plugs with whatever seems to be working for those that had them replaced. Ever since my drive train malfunction error i'm extremely cautious driving far distances. All they did for me was fix software which may just stop the error from occurring but the injectors may still be crap. If they want to pass off sensitive injectors as the problem then stick with it, but saying it may just be software - so they don't have to replace components is just lame. ... Just my $0.02
+1
Old 03-26-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
This fuel injector "sensitivity" is bogus. They should develop better injectors to handle the common fuel we may encounter. I always prefer Sunoco / Shell, but if I'm somewhere with low gas I will take what I can so I can keep moving. I think we paid enough to not have to baby these cars. Seriously, Nissan, Toyota, nor Honda have these major injector flaws. It's probably because they developed a product made for the real world.
Don't get me wrong, I know a pseudo high end car requires care, but that should be limited to more frequent maintenance. Not tip toeing around faulty engine components. I actually wouldn't mind provoking the injector problem in my car so that they replace my injectors and spark plugs with whatever seems to be working for those that had them replaced. Ever since my drive train malfunction error I'm extremely cautious driving far distances. All they did for me was fix software which may just stop the error from occurring but the injectors may still be crap. If they want to pass off sensitive injectors as the problem then stick with it, but saying it may just be software - so they don't have to replace components is just lame. ... Just my $0.02
-1 Kleenex anyone.
Dinan Shockware
Individual Leather
Merino Opal White
M-Sport
20” 373 Wheels
Full LED lighting
Piano Finish Black Trim
Ceramic Controls
Imola Red M6 Spoiler
Imola Red Diffuser

Last edited by ShakeDaddy; 03-26-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 PM

Yesterday I got a call from my dealer telling me that my car needed a routine service something-or-another. I asked specifically if something was wrong, and they said it was routine.

I had my last service (oil change, wiper blades, etc.) in mid-January, and they're already contacting me about another one in late March. Seems like an awfully short interval to me.

Anyone else recently get a call? I was thinking maybe an F12/13 issue they want to check out - no idea and just trying to make sense of it. Could be a follow-up after my drivetrain issue (?). Any thoughts?

I'm dropping it off tomorrow evening. They said it should be about a 1 hour job. I'm glad that they're looking after the car - especially free of charge - but I'm kinda ready to stay away from my dealership for a while.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
Nope. I did, however, make an appointment for the seat looseness and new wiper blades on Feb 8th. At the time, my SA said nothing about any other updates or fixes. I'll let you all know if anything comes up at check in and what the result is with the seat.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Yesterday I got a call from my dealer telling me that my car needed a routine service something-or-another. I asked specifically if something was wrong, and they said it was routine.

I had my last service (oil change, wiper blades, etc.) in mid-January, and they're already contacting me about another one in late March. Seems like an awfully short interval to me.

Anyone else recently get a call? I was thinking maybe an F12/13 issue they want to check out - no idea and just trying to make sense of it. Could be a follow-up after my drivetrain issue (?). Any thoughts?

I'm dropping it off tomorrow evening. They said it should be about a 1 hour job. I'm glad that they're looking after the car - especially free of charge - but I'm kinda ready to stay away from my dealership for a while.
Interested to hear just what the heck they are up to ?? Keep us posted Southey.
Dinan Shockware
Individual Leather
Merino Opal White
M-Sport
20” 373 Wheels
Full LED lighting
Piano Finish Black Trim
Ceramic Controls
Imola Red M6 Spoiler
Imola Red Diffuser

Last edited by ShakeDaddy; 03-27-2013 at 10:16 AM.