Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-16-2013, 10:42 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Wolfe View Post
Maybe his wording was different than what I'd use, but a Dinan badge or M badge is definitely special. I'm not impressed when I see a 550 or X5 rolling around...but if I earned a Dinan badge then I'd be damn proud to rock it. Just like how I'm so proud of my M badge (that still impresses me when I look at it); I'd rock those any day because they look awesome! That's my blatant opinion lol...a 528, 535, 550 or plain X5 emblem is cool because it's BMW; but it's not as special or prestigious as a Dinan or M emblem. Plain and simple.
Plain and simple? We are starting to write alike!

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)

Last edited by dunderhi; 02-16-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Saab
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Golly Gee Willikers, I like to be a bit different from the masses and some find people like me to be more approachable the most. I've let complete strangers test drive Dinan due to their sincere curiousity. My 650xi will be debadged. Plain and simple. If I decide to go the full Dinan route, then it will have a Dinan badge. Plain and simple. Sorry if that bothers you.

BTW, no one have ever accused me of not having a personality!
Not going after you, obviously you know that. Badge the hell out of our beauties! Or debadge. But the art of debadging is left to the individual, and I do have an issue with people who like to put down Americans as less advanced than europeans. Thats BS.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
Quote:
Plain and simple? We are startingto write alike!
Haha, could it be? A dunderhi/wolfe alliance???

2008 Chevy Trailblazer SS (Sale pending)
1971 Buick Skylark
Old 02-16-2013, 10:54 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Wolfe View Post
Haha, could it be? A dunderhi/wolfe alliance???
I've got the East Coast and you've got the West Coast. Just keeping the Cayenne's in their place.

Last edited by dunderhi; 02-16-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I've the East Coast and you've got the West Coast. Just keeping the Cayenne's in their place.
This one literally made me "LOL!"

Consider it done. I'll take first watch and keep it all quiet on the western front!

1971 Buick Skylark
Old 02-16-2013, 11:03 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeriley View Post
Not going after you, obviously you know that. Badge the hell out of our beauties! Or debadge. But the art of debadging is left to the individual, and I do have an issue with people who like to put down Americans as less advanced than europeans. Thats BS.
No worries. I like to have Coke in the morning, so as I said, I like to be a bit different.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to GTitis2013
Mein Auto: 2014 335i GT,2010 Audi S4
I'm a German living in the US and here are my 2 cents. Some Germans probably want you to believe they drive a 'bigger' car, there are others who see de-badging as a way to keep a level of understatement, some just like the clean look. Style probably plays somewhat of a role for most and 'understatement' as a style is more en vogue in Europe.

Engine sizes are generally smaller compared to the same models sold in the US for several reasons, some of which were mentioned here. Environmental consciousness is big in Europe. But it is also true that luxury cars are expensive, actually significantly more expensive than in the US (ironically this includes German manufactured cars), therefore not that many can effort a luxury car with a large engine either. When they can effort it, people of course still like to show off, but most want to do it in an understated way.

For those who care about driving a big engine/fast car I think the perceived power of a car is often measured by how authoritatively you can pass other cars on the Autobahn at higher speeds.

The biggest satisfaction a German car enthusiast gains from passing a sports car on the Autobahn in a de-badged 'sleeper' station wagon at speeds upwards of 130mph.

Lieber Gruss-
Old 02-16-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTitis2013 View Post
I'm a German living in the US and here are my 2 cents. Some Germans probably want you to believe they drive a 'bigger' car, there are others who see de-badging as a way to keep a level of understatement, some just like the clean look. Style probably plays somewhat of a role for most and 'understatement' as a style is more en vogue in Europe.

Engine sizes are generally smaller compared to the same models sold in the US for several reasons, some of which were mentioned here. Environmental consciousness is big in Europe. But it is also true that luxury cars are expensive, actually significantly more expensive than in the US (ironically this includes German manufactured cars), therefore not that many can effort a luxury car with a large engine either. When they can effort it, people of course still like to show off, but most want to do it in an understated way.

For those who care about driving a big engine/fast car I think the perceived power of a car is often measured by how authoritatively you can pass other cars on the Autobahn at higher speeds.

The biggest satisfaction a German car enthusiast gains from passing a sports car on the Autobahn in a de-badged 'sleeper' station wagon at speeds upwards of 130mph.

Lieber Gruss-
Cool insight, danke!

- Herr Wolfe

1971 Buick Skylark
Old 02-16-2013, 11:12 PM
Original *****

Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
Quote:
why the pro euro slant and negative USA slant? Id say the exact opposite or more of a neutral take on why euro debages. It may be what is considered vogue for them or they may want to not to let others know how small their engines are. Enough of the euro people are so great and americans aren't slant, its old and tired. Get over your self and and stop bashing your own country.
Yea...Amurikuh...f@#$ yea!

BTW..."only" 130mph? Perhaps in my 328. Which I ordered through. BMW-MS debadge at the factory. The debadge option is on my order documents.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Bimmer app

Last edited by FCBayernFTW; 02-16-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocamryn View Post
Yea...Amurikuh...f@#$ yea!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Bimmer app
Hahahaha, that song/movie never gets old!

1971 Buick Skylark
Old 02-16-2013, 11:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 530d XDrive Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by mryakanisachoad View Post
Please pardon my language but here in the U.S. a lot of people refer to cars like the F11 wagon as a " Fcuk you!" car (it's a compliment to the car and its driver).

Que?

Not sure I understand. There are no F11s in the USA.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:32 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to MoldCAD
Mein Auto: 528i xDrive
Quote:

Lieber Gruss-
I guess de-badging is also popular in Poland for exactly the same reasons...

Piotr

Old 02-16-2013, 11:53 PM
OZG F10

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i F10
Quote:

Lieber Gruss-
I agree.

Also the fuel prices in Europe are significantly higher than here in the US, which forces average motorists to use smaller displacement versions of the same cars, thus less powerful and relatively slower.

Another issue is that most people in Germany know that even if they have a seriously powerful and fast car, the chances are that they'll meet someone with a better car on die Autobahn. So, they can have a de-badged car and act like they don't want to speed and maintain "normal" Autobahn cruising speeds around 100-120mph.

Lastly, it is also a personal preference, like it is anywhere else.

Schöne Grüße

13 BMW F10 535i RWD - 3.0 L 221 kW (300 hp) Bone stock except NAVI,PDC,Cam,Tint,Coded,HID Fogs,Debadged,Spoiler,BMS Stg1
07 BMW E64 630i - 3.0 L 200 kW (272 hp)
03 BMW E65 745i - 4.4 L V8, 242 kW (325 hp)
98 BMW E39 535i - 3.5 L 183 kW (245 hp)
95 BMW E34 540i - 4.0 L V8 210 kW (282 hp)
89 BMW E30 M3 non-cat 147 kW (200 hp)

15 MB W222 S550 4-Matic on order
10 Infiniti G37x Sedan
09 Mercedes C 350
08 Infiniti G35x Sedan
04 Mercedes CLK 350
01 Mercedes C 230

Last edited by hufington; 02-16-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:07 AM
F10

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
why the pro euro slant and negative USA slant? Id say the exact opposite or more of a neutral take on why euro debages. It may be what is considered vogue for them or they may want to not to let others know how small their engines are. Enough of the euro people are so great and americans aren't slant, its old and tired. Get over your self and and stop bashing your own country.
Not bashing anyone, just what I've noticed. How often do you see a high performance luxury car without badges in the U.S.?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:15 AM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu3 View Post
Can anyone tell me why German BMWs do not have any badging on them? Been in Stuttgart for a month and noticed that 99% of all BMWs do not have any identifying badges on them. No 335, 535 or 530 or 528.....nothing. You may see the odd X-Drive logo on the back but that's all...
Not my recollection of what I've seen in German cities (Stuttgart and others). Maybe you came across a ricer club?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 530d XDrive Touring
Saw 10 5 series wagons yesterday (F11) and only 1 had a badge on it (530).
Old 02-17-2013, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
I am also a German living in the US - although I have not lived in Germany since I was 14. I think that a big reason to debage is also to avoid vandalism. Many people in Germany that have money prefer to be understated and discrete - too many people are way to jealous. I remember in the late 1980s some jerk to a key to my Dad's 320i - scratching the paint from the front fender all the way to the back fender. I also remember a friend of the family having his MB 420 sel badged as a 280 se.

BMW CCA Member
Old 02-17-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich77 View Post
I am also a German living in the US - although I have not lived in Germany since I was 14. I think that a big reason to debage is also to avoid vandalism. Many people in Germany that have money prefer to be understated and discrete - too many people are way to jealous. I remember in the late 1980s some jerk to a key to my Dad's 320i - scratching the paint from the front fender all the way to the back fender. I also remember a friend of the family having his MB 420 sel badged as a 280 se.
Mostly true - but I'd say those vandals that scratch our cars while walking by drunk are too damn stupid to differentiate between a car with 550ix badge and a similar one with "modest" 316...

Last edited by MoldCAD; 02-17-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:54 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:

Lieber Gruss-
The better way to enjoy this satisfaction is to buy a Lexus.

I always used to enjoy passing people in my Lexus GS460 F-Sport. I remember passing a Panamera on a corner ramp at 80mph and the guy must have been thinking - how could a Lexus corner that fast! The answer of course was wider tires, Michelin PSS for ultimate grip, Active suspension, F-Sport springs and Active power stabilizer system. That car handled better than most E60 and F10 550i M-Sports.

And with the Laser jammers and high end radar, people would always be surprised to be passed by the Lexus at 130-150mph on the straights.

My BMWs lack that same shock an awe effect!

I think in the US driving a BMW is the antithesis of downplaying your car so why bother debadging.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 02-17-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:58 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
I still don't buy this. Like I said

90% OF BMWS SOLD IN EUROPE ARE 4 CYLINDERS. SO IF PEOPLE WITH BIG ENGINES DEBADGE IT DOESN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE. THE PERVASIVENESS OF DEBADGING MUST BE BECAUSE PEOPLE WITH SMALL ENGINES ARE DEBADGING.

Also if your really want to be modest, get rid of the BMW badge, and black out the grilles, for that anonymous car look.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 02-17-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I still don't buy this. Like I said

90% OF BMWS SOLD IN EUROPE ARE 4 CYLINDERS. SO IF PEOPLE WITH BIG ENGINES DEBADGE IT DOESN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE. THE PERVASIVENESS OF DEBADGING MUST BE BECAUSE PEOPLE WITH SMALL ENGINES ARE DEBADGING.

Also if your really want to be modest, get rid of the BMW badge, and black out the grilles, for that anonymous car look.
BS. Where did you take the "90% OF BMWS SOLD IN EUROPE ARE 4 CYLINDERS" from?

Old 02-17-2013, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: Jaguar F-Type V8 S
Fair point, Stealth... Those who claim they debadge for the "clean" look never seem to want to remove the Roundel....
BMW 550i, BMW 545i
Old 02-17-2013, 09:10 AM

What would the point be of removing the BMW Roundel from a BMW car?!!! Even morons (like those mentioned above, that like to scratch the cars) can tell a BMW from Toyota.

Model/Performance indicative badges are quite another story. My 330i was de-badged (I configured it myself) for all those "go low-profile" reaons; my current F10 is not (I took one from dealer's stock) - but it will be soon, for all the same reasons.

But the Roundel? C'mon...

Old 02-17-2013, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Quote:
Many people in Germany that have money prefer to be understated and discrete.
Exactly! As stated in my earlier post: Flaunting wealth is a sign of success in the US, often driving others who view such wealth to want to become successful too. In Europe, however, many feel it's bad business practice and a sign of waste, such that business owners don't want employees (neighbors, etc.) getting the wrong idea. Different cultures. Truth of the matter is that even the 528 badge (in the US) says "look at me". I find it funny that some people here would 'debadge' their 528, but not their 550, but I suppose it happens.

Last edited by dbs600; 02-17-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:48 AM
F10

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
The better way to enjoy this satisfaction is to buy a Lexus.

I always used to enjoy passing people in my Lexus GS460 F-Sport.
There's no such thing as a GS460 F-Sport...