Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335i e92
BMW Recalls Another 569,000 Vehicles?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/petercoh...9000-vehicles/

Has anyone got a notice from your dealership or from BMWNA yet??
Ads by Google
Old 02-16-2013, 06:05 PM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
Nope.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Wonder if they will reimburse those that have already had this?

Wonder if they will reimburse those that have already had this?
Since I have already seen this problem reported a bunch of times
and seen people who take it in get charged 2k plus?
Old 02-16-2013, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
So the writer of the article is being sarcastic about BMW recalls. I guess its ok the Toyota has a new recall almost every other month!

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 02-17-2013, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35D, Former X1 and 335
its cool. Its good news for most of us. Several people on the board and e90post have had this phantom problem happen to them. Its pretty cool that its being fixed for free
Old 02-17-2013, 10:43 AM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
The recall will begin in March.

If you go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/subscriptions/index.cfm you can sign up for recall alerts, including tires, child restraints, and specific car models. I did this shortly after taking redelivery on our car in July 2011. I got the e-mail regarding this recall yesterday afternoon, around the time it started being reported online.

If you got to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchVehicles you can search for your specific year and model. Unfortunately, this page is not directly linkable. I've attached the two documents related to this recall.

If you read the 4-page BMW NA document regarding their investigation which led to the recall, they refer to "fretting". Not being an EE, I did some research and the best explanation was on page 122 in a publication titled "Degradation of Metals in the Atmosphere", ASTM special publication #965. Here's the link: http://books.google.com/books?id=cmk...etting&f=false

Basically, "fretting" is caused by corrosion and vibration between two dissimilar contacting metals, in this case caused by the tin connectors used on both sides of the main power cable connecting the positive side of the battery and the fuse box behind the glove box. It leads to a degradation of the electrical contact, causing loss of electrical power. BMW's solution was to replace the tin connectors with silver connectors, starting in July 2011.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RCDNN-13V044-8968.pdf (1.03 MB, 242 views)
File Type: pdf RCAK-13V044-6848.pdf (49.7 KB, 146 views)
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 02-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Tom - Thanks for posting the link, very helpful. My car is not in the recall, phew.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:32 PM
Bond Girl

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post

If you go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/subscriptions/index.cfm you can sign up for recall alerts, including tires, child restraints, and specific car models. I did this shortly after taking redelivery on our car in July 2011. I got the e-mail regarding this recall yesterday afternoon, around the time it started being reported online.

If you got to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchVehicles you can search for your specific year and model. Unfortunately, this page is not directly linkable. I've attached the two documents related to this recall.

If you read the 4-page BMW NA document regarding their investigation which led to the recall, they refer to "fretting". Not being an EE, I did some research and the best explanation was on page 122 in a publication titled "Degradation of Metals in the Atmosphere", ASTM special publication #965. Here's the link: http://books.google.com/books?id=cmk...etting&f=false

Basically, "fretting" is caused by corrosion and vibration between two dissimilar contacting metals, in this case caused by the tin connectors used on both sides of the main power cable connecting the positive side of the battery and the fuse box behind the glove box. It leads to a degradation of the electrical contact, causing loss of electrical power. BMW's solution was to replace the tin connectors with silver connectors, starting in July 2011.
Hi Tom,

Thank you for your extraordinarily informative and helpful post. My vehicle is on the list, so I went ahead and read through all the applicable documents. Going to give my dealer a call first thing tomorrow and see if they've heard about this - then schedule the removal & replacement for the defective components. Really glad they're fixing this for free.

Cheers.

"Just the thing for unwinding after a rough day at the office."
BMW CCA Member 473595

2009 E90 Alpine White | Saddle Brown | Sport | Premium | Comfort Access | iDrive | Steptronic | Super Fantastic | Bavarian Beast

Old 02-17-2013, 10:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
So the writer of the article is being sarcastic about BMW recalls. I guess its ok the Toyota has a new recall almost every other month!
I guess if one wanted to be free from recalls, they could not own or drive a car?

I have had a couple of recalls on my d. It is really no big thang - you make an appointment, bring the car in, get a loaner car, drive off. When your car is ready, you return the loaner car with the same gas level as when you drove off and exchange the loaner for your car and drive off. BMW covers the expense of the recall.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:35 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Wrong forum. This recall is for 5 and 6 series.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i e92
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
Read the article again in the OP again.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Go for it...

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Recals to Start in March

The article I read said the recalls would start being sent out in March.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Bond Girl

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanehi View Post
The article I read said the recalls would start being sent out in March.
You are indeed correct.

"Just the thing for unwinding after a rough day at the office."
BMW CCA Member 473595

2009 E90 Alpine White | Saddle Brown | Sport | Premium | Comfort Access | iDrive | Steptronic | Super Fantastic | Bavarian Beast

Old 02-18-2013, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0...2009 328i
Quote:
Good call, 3284me. This reporter obviously has quite the axe to grind, with respect to BMW. He comes off as a total horses a#$.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Good info bmwloverinsocal and SD Z4MR, thanks! If I did not get a letter before next service, I'll bring it up then.

Quote:
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 02-19-2013, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328xi N51
I guess some bean counter right now at BMW or LEAR is rethinking that decision to go with tin plating instead of silver plating.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
"569,000 owners of 3-Series sedans, wagons, convertibles and coupes from the 2007 through 2011 model years, 1-Series coupes and convertibles from 2008 through 2012, or the Z4 sports car from 2009 through 2011..."

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Quote:
But Toyota's are reliable of course! I'm so sick of Toyota going on and on about reliability this and that meanwhile you get into one of their cars and it's a bland and boring car with a cheap interior and no driving excitement...Oh right, I also seriously question their safety but haven't done enough research to really substantiate that statement.
BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Old 02-20-2013, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post

It looks like I may have lucked out from dealing with this recall. According to the VIN research I did, my 2011 was built Dec 5th 2011. I'm surprised they were still building 2011's that late. It was put in service May 2012 and was a BMW Corp lease with 7,000 miles on it. I thought I had read that they switch over model years in September.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
I drive a Toyota 4 Runner, never had a recall but then mine is totally built in Japan, not that it matters, Build anything long enough and there will be issues, Not sure but the only thing most car makers make is the sheet metal work, the engine, transmission and maybe the differential and they paint the car, I think most everything else is speced out and is subbed out, maybe the wiring too?

they dont make wheels
they dont make glass
rubber
tires
wire
connectors
turbos
exhaust pipes
axles
etc.....

they do paint the cars but they dont make the paint

Hondo
Old 02-20-2013, 06:33 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
My car is scheduled for Wednesday next week for the recall. I plan to call and make sure they have the parts before bringing it in.
Also I really wonder about the tin vs silver connector as silver is a better conductor but tin does a fine job and in my line of work I have seen much larger systems use tin connectors with no issues. I am speculating but I wonder if the crimp is the issue which is the physical connection between the connector and the wiring. Poor crimps will cause a resistance and heat build up since the majority of the power will manifest itself in a very small area.
Silver is certainly a better conductor so their choice is a good solution. I want to talk to the tech that does my car and see if I can look at the connector to see what it looks like. I expect a 4 gage or so harness with connector. Seems to be a multi connector positive harness and realoem does show this 2 piece harness isn't cheap. Can't tell if BMW is replacing the entire connector of just one of the 2 pieces.
I am sure that BMW will be working with their supplier and get some funds back for this.
Will post if this recall gets done next week...