Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 02-25-2013, 10:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
What's up with BMW's braking performance?

First we saw:
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mw-328i-page-6

Low-rolling-resistance rubber is designed to keep rolling, which is why the 328i stopped from 70 mph in a full-size-SUV-like 191 feet. Stops were at least consistent and free of any fade. The pedal remained firm, responsive, and progressive. Subjectively, the brakes are great, but they’re severely let down by the tires.

OK, maybe it was LRR, so one could technically forego mpg and get the braking performance, except...

Now we see:
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...rive28i-page-4

The BMW’s only real dynamic failing is in the braking department. It took 180 feet to stop from 70 mph, 11 feet longer than the Q5 and 15 longer than the Evoque. It’s another example of BMW’s recent poor braking performances. The pedal feels fine. In fact, it won the brake-feel category, and its discs are bigger, front and rear, than either of the others’. But the vehicle simply doesn’t deliver stops as short as its competitors do. We have to believe that the poor numbers are due to the Goodyear Eagle LS2 mud-and-snow-rated, run-flat tires.

The tires again? Also no mention of LRR.

At least the SUV did better than the sedan!

2014 328i / Liquid Blue / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 6 MT / Moonroof / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 12K+ Miles / Bought 10-16-2013
2003 325i / Gray Green / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 5 MT / Moonroof / 219K+ Miles / Bought 12-21-2002 / Sold 10-21-2013
1998 Civic EX / Vogue Silver / Gray / 4 DR / 5 MT / 122K+ Miles / Bought 12-30-1997 / Totaled 08-2002
1988 Sentra / Gray / Gray / 2 DR / 4 MT / 190K+ Miles / Bought 06-1994 @ 120K+ Miles / Died 12-1997
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
First we saw:
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mw-328i-page-6

Low-rolling-resistance rubber is designed to keep rolling, which is why the 328i stopped from 70 mph in a full-size-SUV-like 191 feet. Stops were at least consistent and free of any fade. The pedal remained firm, responsive, and progressive. Subjectively, the brakes are great, but they’re severely let down by the tires.

OK, maybe it was LRR, so one could technically forego mpg and get the braking performance, except...

Now we see:
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...rive28i-page-4

The BMW’s only real dynamic failing is in the braking department. It took 180 feet to stop from 70 mph, 11 feet longer than the Q5 and 15 longer than the Evoque. It’s another example of BMW’s recent poor braking performances. The pedal feels fine. In fact, it won the brake-feel category, and its discs are bigger, front and rear, than either of the others’. But the vehicle simply doesn’t deliver stops as short as its competitors do. We have to believe that the poor numbers are due to the Goodyear Eagle LS2 mud-and-snow-rated, run-flat tires.

The tires again? Also no mention of LRR.

At least the SUV did better than the sedan!
Speaking of run-flats, I have them on my 650i and it feels to me like they are low rolling resistant in an aspect.