Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528I
E30 Headlight Issue

I have researched this forum for my specific problem but haven't seen anything quite like my problem so I am hoping someone can help me out.
I have 1990 325 convertible that I just bought and noticed the headlights don't work with the light switch pulled out. Here is a step by step of what works and when:
1. Ignition on:
Light knob in
daytime running lights on
high beam "flash" works

2. Pull light knob pulled out one stop:
daytime running lights off
no lowbeam
no hi beam
(this is same condition whether the square switch next to light knob is in or out)

3. Pull light knob out 2 stops:
daytime running lights off
no lowbeam
hi beam works (all 4 lamps/lights are on)
(this is same condition whether the square switch next to light knob is in or out)

So in order to drive at night I only have my daytimers which aren't nearly bright enough and if I need high beams I have to pull the light switch out and push it in when I need to turn high beams off!!!
I have swapped out the low beam lights from a donor car I have and it made no difference. I also swapped out relay K3 and K4 with the donor car and still no difference.
The other thing I noticed is the dash lights are on as soon as the ignition is on?
Ads by Google