Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 02-17-2013, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
speedometer fraud?

To tell the truth I have not searched for this topic, you guys might not feel this is important but I do. 1 1/2 years ago I was the proud new bmw owner 328xi coupe I still am I love my car. Now here is the rub. My speedo is 3 to 4 miles an hour off. I checked many ways. I asked my SA about it and his response was " BMW does this on purpose to protect us from tickets in case we change tire size" or some BS. " And this is just the speedo not the odo." Well the last test was yesterday I reset both my GPS and my ODO at the same time.Drove the last sixty miles of the trip I was on and for some odd reason the GPS went 2.5 miles less distance than the car. This mean the ODO registers 34 miles every time you drive 33 miles. This affects final numbers on EPA gas mileage, and your warranty!!! It does not seem like much but in a 50,000 dollar car???? Last time in I again asked SA to fix this, that I don't need BMW to protect me from tickets and was told the same BS and also that ALL our cars are like this when I asked the car to be set at the right speed.

What do you other BMW owners think of this? What would BMWofNA think if we all started calling them on it. How about the EPA???? I just want my speedometer to be right not cause trouble, also I can't believe I am the first to mention this so if this should be in a different forum please move it.
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Google the topic, there is actually a ton of great info out there.

The EU actually requires the speedo to be off as much as 10% either direction but the bias is to show lower rather than higher to prevent tickets.

Here in the states I believe the requirement is a maximum of 5 mph.

Last edited by x3brian; 02-17-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
It's normal. See section 5.3. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...40:0048:EN:PDF

0 tolerance for too high and 10% + 4 km/h for too low.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
thanks I guess I will take a chill pill......
Old 02-17-2013, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
wow never heard of this till now.

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App
Old 02-17-2013, 11:25 PM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Very common. We've owned 5 BMWs and all of them were 3-4mph higher than a GPS at 60.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:02 AM
Who, me?

Mein Auto: 2006 330Ci ZHP
Same here.. but, I've never had one where the odometer was off that far... Usually within a couple of tenths over 60 miles..
1987 325iS Bronzit (retired)
2011 Z4 Space Gray (retired)
2008 X3 Sapphire Black (retired)
2005 330Cic Silver-Gray (retired)
2003 325i Sport Steel Blue (retired)
1967 2000CS Delphin Gray (retired)
Old 02-18-2013, 04:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
BMW's have been that way for ever. To call it fraud is a little strong.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 02-18-2013, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 3GT 28i
My X1 is about 3-4 MPH slow on the speedo. But that is actually an improvement over my 2001 Honda CR-V which ran 5 MPH slow. Interestingly my wife has a Honda Fit and the speedo on that is dead on. As I'm used to it from the CR-V I don't mind that the BMW is doing it and will routinely aim to drive 5 MPH over the limit knowing this puts me only 2 MPH over the limit and thus pretty darn safe from the revenue hungry California police.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchabigone View Post
To tell the truth I have not searched for this topic, you guys might not feel this is important but I do. 1 1/2 years ago I was the proud new bmw owner 328xi coupe I still am I love my car. Now here is the rub. My speedo is 3 to 4 miles an hour off. I checked many ways. I asked my SA about it and his response was " BMW does this on purpose to protect us from tickets in case we change tire size" or some BS. " And this is just the speedo not the odo." Well the last test was yesterday I reset both my GPS and my ODO at the same time.Drove the last sixty miles of the trip I was on and for some odd reason the GPS went 2.5 miles less distance than the car. This mean the ODO registers 34 miles every time you drive 33 miles. This affects final numbers on EPA gas mileage, and your warranty!!! It does not seem like much but in a 50,000 dollar car???? Last time in I again asked SA to fix this, that I don't need BMW to protect me from tickets and was told the same BS and also that ALL our cars are like this when I asked the car to be set at the right speed.

What do you other BMW owners think of this? What would BMWofNA think if we all started calling them on it. How about the EPA???? I just want my speedometer to be right not cause trouble, also I can't believe I am the first to mention this so if this should be in a different forum please move it.
This would be your first BMW/German car?

Your dealer is 100% correct.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:29 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: E70 X5/E60 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchabigone View Post
thanks I guess I will take a chill pill......
if it bothers you that much, get it coded.