Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 3.5i
Test drove q5 - while it was good but did not have enough gadgets. Back seats were small and legroom was small with that huge center tunnel. It was smooth but just was not BMW. B&O sound system was the best though. Real time traffic would have expired and navi would e useless unless you paid Sirius 20 buck a month or probably 3-5 months just for traffic. Since the supply was low back then the prices were high. Test drove it a few times but just missed something that only Bimmer can give.
Ok it might be biased review then
Old 11-08-2013, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: 14 x335i, 12 S4
Wife and i test drove both, i really wanted her to get the Q5 (i have a 12 S4, if the SUV was going to be mine i would have gotten the SQ5 hands down, no debate) and she wanted to get the x3 (she has an x5)....we test drove both 3.0 models and we decided on the x3....it was real close and we'd have been happy with either one as they're remarkably similiar overall...in the end she was more comfortable with BMW based on her x5 so we ordered an x3. Never owned an N55 but sure it's an impressive motor, cant wait to get some seat time with it, never considered the 28i, but lightly thought of the Audi Diesel as my wifes x5 was a x5d....love the S4 motor, it's a flippen riot to drive.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:57 AM
2011 335d

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
A note on the comment about the Q5 and real-time traffic. The Q5 comes with 4 years of the real-time traffic support.

And on the comment about not enough gadgets - the Q5 includes built in WI-FI for 8 devices, and it supports online voice activation to do Google searches using the Nav system. Almost all the controls for the MMI can be done using your voice. You can say "Online destination: XXXX" and it finds a list of places that match what you searched for and you can then navigate to that destination. You can say "Next restaurant" and it shows you a list of restaurants and you can pick one to navigate to. This includes 6 months free of cellular access. After that you can buy 3 years worth for $15/month. I would say the Q5 has a few cool gadgets. The Q5's diesel engine is very strong - worth looking at.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: X3m, B8 Avant
I debated both and didnt like that the Q5 has been around since 2008.
We have a 2010 Avant with all the bells and whistles and I would say Audi has a nicer interior. Not sure if they have updated their nav screen since 2010 if not BMW's screen has a much better resolution and is wider. There's days i think i would of liked the Q5 but the X3 has been a phenomenal car so far and wont be stagnate for another 4-5 years while the Q5 should be scrapped for a newer model soon.

Last edited by Toast.; 11-09-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
Without companies like Audi and its Q5, we may not get that much customer satisfaction with our current X3 (or others). The interior with its gadgets in the Q5 is as good as X3 (hmmm...maybe just slightly better) but my wife and I went with the X3 for it's exterior design.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
some women like Chanel, some like Louis Vuitton.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:20 PM

Mein Auto: X3m, B8 Avant

Last edited by Toast.; 11-11-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: CLS63
Just wanted to chime in and say thanks to all the posters, even though I expected a lot of BMW bias considering this is a bimmer forum, it was nice to see some very unbiased reviews. I'm currently in the market for mid-sized SUV, and the Q5 and X3 are top on the list. Drove the Audi 2.0T and 3.0 Diesel last week, the 2T was peppy for a 2L, but the 3.0D had amazing torque, almost reminded me of the acceleration on my 63, however felt more rigid than the gasoline. Test driving the X3 this weekend, i'll report back in once I make the decision!
Old 11-19-2013, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
I don't think you can go wrong with either. I ended up buying a non-SUV BMW. One thing I don't think the BMW gets enough credit for is how the iDrive software takes advantage of the wide screen. I absolutely love the split screen for two views of navigation or cover art or some nice little location specific online widgets. Audi has great voice enabled 3G wireless Google search tho.

One thing I don't think came up in this thread is the back seat. If you have passengers back there, you may want to check it out. If memory serves, the Q5 rear seat adjusts a few degrees just to shift weight around on a long drive.

I can't speak to the 2014 X3 but my 2014 5GT footswipe is great. It opens and closes hands free. It even detects if you are standing too close and only opens a little or warns it won't close. Last I checked in April, Audi said they were not going to provide any fob-less or Fob based tailgate closing in the 2014 Q5. You have to push the button on the tailgate. Period.

YMMV

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 11-19-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
We cross shopped the Q5 with the X3. The Q5 is fine. We do not like purchasing Audi Care and the maintence package and its limitations. Audi fit and finish on the Q5 is beautiful. We went with the X3 because we preferred it driving and handling characteristics and its appearance. The Audi Q5 is fine and competition between Audi and BMW is great for the enthusiast.
In a photo finish to replace my '04 X3, this was the determinant. Audi Care doesn't cover the brakes, and for me, this was a no go.

Really close - but must say, the new iDrive is as good as the Audi interface I test drove - if not better.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The only "brake job" I ever got from BMW under the "free" maintenance program (up to 50K miles) was a pad slap on the rear wheels -- not even the rotors! So brakes would not be a screen out for me with Audi care -- which I have also found to be negotiable as a package included in the car price.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
The only "brake job" I ever got from BMW under the "free" maintenance program (up to 50K miles) was a pad slap on the rear wheels -- not even the rotors! So brakes would not be a screen out for me with Audi care -- which I have also found to be negotiable as a package included in the car price.
Maybe I'm harder on brakes than you - had it done at 48K under the original, and at 92K after I extended it. All 4, including the rotors. Never thought of negotiating it up front, I just admit.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
I don't think you can go wrong with either.
YMMV
Just test drove the X3 yesterday (2.8) and as much as I wanted to love the X3 because of the rave reviews and this thread in particular, I must say I'm sadly disappointed.

Performance was good, very peppy from a dead stop and handled well, on par with the q5. Legroom for the middle rear seat was also better than the Q5. The other rear seats however were not very comfortable with respect to sitting posture (family of tall people). The Q5's rear seats extend back for long drives, a very cool feature.

The biggest concern for me was the very cheap feel of the dash material/steering wheel and everything that I will be looking at 24/7. No offense to the rest of you who have X3's, but a friend of mine who has a 2014 Jeep Cherokee had a better dash. I saw remnants of glue near the headliner and control piece for the sunroof (really? glue?). I didn't expect the interior to match my other benz's, but its definitely below what I can live with. If you don't get the Heads up Display, you have to glance down at the screen to see the navigation. My 2006 slk350 has an in-dash display.

I sat in an X6 that was nearby and wow, that felt like what I expected a BMW to be.

I even stopped at Infiniti to see an FX35 they had parked out front and that dash (except for the 1000+buttons) was way cleaner/nicer and a much better quality material.

I guess mercedes spoiled me with respect to quality interiors and I just can't justify spending 45k on a car that reminds me of my 2002 nissan altima inside.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcls63 View Post
Just test drove the X3 yesterday (2.8) and as much as I wanted to love the X3 because of the rave reviews and this thread in particular, I must say I'm sadly disappointed.

Performance was good, very peppy from a dead stop and handled well, on par with the q5. Legroom for the middle rear seat was also better than the Q5. The other rear seats however were not very comfortable with respect to sitting posture (family of tall people). The Q5's rear seats extend back for long drives, a very cool feature.

The biggest concern for me was the very cheap feel of the dash material/steering wheel and everything that I will be looking at 24/7. No offense to the rest of you who have X3's, but a friend of mine who has a 2014 Jeep Cherokee had a better dash. I saw remnants of glue near the headliner and control piece for the sunroof (really? glue?). I didn't expect the interior to match my other benz's, but its definitely below what I can live with. If you don't get the Heads up Display, you have to glance down at the screen to see the navigation. My 2006 slk350 has an in-dash display.

I sat in an X6 that was nearby and wow, that felt like what I expected a BMW to be.

I even stopped at Infiniti to see an FX35 they had parked out front and that dash (except for the 1000+buttons) was way cleaner/nicer and a much better quality material.

I guess mercedes spoiled me with respect to quality interiors and I just can't justify spending 45k on a car that reminds me of my 2002 nissan altima inside.

I'm not offended.

The interior of the X3 isn't as nice as the MB- I'll argue it's as nice as the Q5.

Reminds you of a 2002 Nissan Altima? That's a very odd opinion. I've owned Nissans and my neighbor has a 2000 something Nissan Altima- absolute POS interior compared to the X3. BMW Dakota leather is so much nicer than Nissan's leathers. Nissan dashes are hideous. Did you sit in the M Sport package X3? The Sport Seats with side bolsters and and many seat adjustments allow for most anyone's preference.

Jeep Cherokee is a maintenance nightmare for many. UAW at it's worst.

FX35 and Q5 are both quality vehicles. I find the FX35 quite hideous however.

MB is all luxury and no performance. Boring to drive. Couch on wheels road feel. Impresses the neighbors, but doesn't impress those of us who appreciate a driver's vehicle.

A major reason I didn't purchase a Q5 is the fun to drive factor. If you like driving and appreciate road handling there's a reason BMW's are The Ultimate Driving Machines. Add M Sport and the Dynamic Handling Package and you'll have The Best under $50K performance SUV on the planet. Great feedback from the steering wheel, corners nicely on turns- even with the All Season Good Year RFT's it comes with. Issue is not many DHP X3's on dealer's lots.

Q5 is a nice SUV, you won't regret the purchase- you just won't have as much fun as we have.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Continental RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.

Last edited by Bmwlvr60; 11-27-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:

Not that I don't trust what you are saying but a 2002 Nissan? Wow.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
The interior of the X3 isn't as nice as the MB- I'll argue it's as nice as the Q5.
I disagree, we use to own a Q5 and now an X3, we considered the GLK both times when were shopping for the X3 and Q5. If you want to see a cheap and ugly interior, look inside a GLK, it is almost laughable. The Q5's interior is a bit nicer, but it does not perform similar to the X3.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
Not that I don't trust what you are saying but a 2002 Nissan? Wow.
Obnoxious comment by blackcls. Nobody actually believes that.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Continental RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I disagree, we use to own a Q5 and now an X3, we considered the GLK both times when were shopping for the X3 and Q5. If you want to see a cheap and ugly interior, look inside a GLK, it is almost laughable. The Q5's interior is a bit nicer, but it does not perform similar to the X3.
Now that I think of it, I've actually never been inside a GLK that I remember. Looked at many MB 350 sedans in the spring and liked their interiors.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Now that I think of it, I've actually never been inside a GLK that I remember. Looked at many MB 350 sedans in the spring and liked their interiors.
If you mean the E350 sedan, yes the E350's interior is nicer than the GLK's. I also looked at the E350 sedan when shopping for my last cars, interior wise, I like the A6's and GS350's interior better. The 5 series' interior and performance simply blows away the E-class'.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I guess mercedes spoiled me with respect to quality interiors.
Mercedes' interior material have been on the decline for years.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:

Sounds like you drove a base 28i. You really should have driven one that is more loaded with options or give the 35i a shot.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
i hated the Q5 with the EPS steering was awful
Old 11-27-2013, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X3 28i, 2009 BMW
Quote:
I'm not offended.

Reminds you of a 2002 Nissan Altima? That's a very odd opinion. I've owned Nissans and my neighbor has a 2000 something Nissan Altima- absolute POS interior compared to the X3. BMW Dakota leather is so much nicer than Nissan's leathers. Nissan dashes are hideous. Did you sit in the M Sport package X3? The Sport Seats with side bolsters and and many seat adjustments allow for most anyone's preference.

Jeep Cherokee is a maintenance nightmare for many. UAW at it's worst.

FX35 and Q5 are both quality vehicles. I find the FX35 quite hideous however.

MB is all luxury and no performance. Boring to drive. Couch on wheels road feel. Impresses the neighbors, but doesn't impress those of us who appreciate a driver's vehicle.

A major reason I didn't purchase a Q5 is the fun to drive factor. If you like driving and appreciate road handling there's a reason BMW's are The Ultimate Driving Machines. Add M Sport and the Dynamic Handling Package and you'll have The Best under $50K performance SUV on the planet. Great feedback from the steering wheel, corners nicely on turns- even with the All Season Good Year RFT's it comes with. Issue is not many DHP X3's on dealer's lots.

Q5 is a nice SUV, you won't regret the purchase- you just won't have as much fun as we have.
Couldn't agree more!! I actually like the clean non cluttered BMW dash. Very sleek and simple. My brother has the Jeep SRT8 and not a fan of the interior. To busy and cheaply done
Old 11-27-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
The biggest concern for me was the very cheap feel of the dash material/steering wheel and everything that I will be looking at 24/7.
The dash material is all soft touch vinyl, were you expecting a leather dash on a $40000 car? I think you are mistaking BMW's utilitarian interior design with cheap material. There are 3 different type of steering wheel in the X3, you test drove the cheapest one.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:58 PM

Accepted, the 2002 altima was a stretch, I take it back. I only compared it to the cars I've had. my other cars are an 08 cls63 and a 06 slk350 and while I don't expect the leather wrapped dash like my cls63, I definitely expected something on par with the slk350, no ?

I'll go out again for another test drive, maybe find a dealer close to the freeway so I don't do just street traffic driving. Don't hate, just my opinion.